NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Problem though now is that the Xbone has absolutely nothing to differentiate it from the PS4. It is literally just a weaker version of Sony's console, selling at the same price with a couple of exclusive games.

Let us not forget the POWER OF THE CLOUD the Xbox One will supposedly be using to its advantage later in the generation. Which Sony can probably easily counter with their own streaming technology acquisitions.

Ghost perhaps never should have happened as it was clearly filler to keep on the yearly releases.

What a silly statement - how could you forget...?

call-of-duty-ghosts-kinect-dog.jpg

What a silly statement - how could you forget...?

call-of-duty-ghosts-kinect-dog.jpg

FUCK RILEY! (that was his name right?)

FUCK RILEY! (that was his name right?)

I've no idea. I just remember the hubbub about him :D

Exclusive Discounts. Deals with Gold will also launch for Xbox One in June, delivering discounts for great games each month, with significant savings for Xbox Live Gold members. The first titles offered in June will include “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” and a few other surprises. In the coming months, we will offer significant savings of up to 50 – 75 percent off certain titles.

This is also great news although they've done similar offers before. I'm hoping that Forza will be down to £20. I probably wouldn't buy a digital copy for £25+ but at £20 it's a steal.

Until June 6th I can get the Xbox One Titanfall bundle for £299 (staff exclusive discount code plus card discount) but I'm still not sure if I want one even at that price. ::shrug:

I just think I'm happy enough with owning PS4/Wii U and hopefully not having to buy another home console for at least three or four years. : peace:

Then again... £299... *slaps self* No! must resist... urge to spend... needlessly. :heh:

Until June 6th I can get the Xbox One Titanfall bundle for £299 (staff exclusive discount code plus card discount) but I'm still not sure if I want one even at that price. ::shrug:

I just think I'm happy enough with owning PS4/Wii U and hopefully not having to buy another home console for at least three or four years. : peace:

Then again... £299... *slaps self* No! must resist... urge to spend... needlessly. :heh:

BUY BUY BUY.

BUY BUY BUY.

But I'd only be buying it for Peggle 2! :shakehead

I think I'd rather save myself some money. :heh:

But I'd only be buying it for Peggle 2! :shakehead

Isn't it out on 360 now? (if you've got a 360 that is)

Removing the Kinect has made the console slightly more appealing, I can see myself getting one in the future when it's cheaper if they bring out the games I want.

Isn't it out on 360 now? (if you've got a 360 that is)

:o

I was completely unaware of this!

All I knew was that it had been Xbox One exclusive for months but I didn't know that it had finally been released on the 360 as well now.

Might be time to switch my 360 on for the first time in ages! : peace:

Thanks btw. :)

Downloaded Super Time Force before work, cannot wait to get home and play it!

Hmmm didn't know what thread to put this under as it mentions 4 consoles but this has got to be the greatest spin (bullshit) ever.

Microsoft Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi explains why the PS4 has outsold the Xbox One so far, and also claims that Xbox 360 users have "less need" to upgrade to next-gen since they're more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3.

Quick show of hands, who among you bought both a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 before the current-gen (PS4 and Xbox One) started? Were you more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3? Apparently, people with an Xbox 360 are more satisfied with their purchase than those who bought a PS3 -- at least according to Microsoft Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Medhi. Speaking to Forbes regarding the Xbox One's recent Kinect-less SKU, Medhi was asked about the PS4's sales gap over the Xbox One, and if the exec thinks this can be attributed to the PS4 costing less. Medhi claims it's mostly due to the PS4 being more available worldwide, and because Xbox 360 users are more satisfied with their consoles, so they feel less of a need to upgrade.

It's hard to really assess the gap in sales. They're in many more markets right now than we are. They're in 40+ markets, we're in 13. People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360. We could point to any number of things. That said, we've heard from a lot of our Xbox fans who say, "Hey look, I want an Xbox One, but at $499, I probably have to wait a little while before I can afford to get one." I do think we're going to get people now who move over, and then buy the Kinect later. So I do think the [price point] broadens the appeal and hopefully brings more people to Xbox One sooner.

Elsewhere in the interview, Medhi was also asked what he thought of Kinect moving forward, and whether it lived up to its potential.

The way I look at it is that you should take a five year vision. I think in five years, we will laugh at any computing device you can't walk up to and talk to. Voice is going to be there for all devices. We're a pioneer with Kinect in the living room. And it's not just voice, and it's voice and biometric ID. The ability to pioneer that, and with the success we've had so far with five million people, it's remarkable. We feel great about it. And look, we're going to learn a lot, and our partners are going to learn a lot, and our customers are going to learn a lot, and we're going to continue to shape it. But I think we're breaking a lot of new ground and we're delighted with the progress.

In related Xbox One news, just the other day, Medhi commented that the Xbox One could potentially be more powerful without the Kinect, since the processing power the peripheral needed can be diverted towards games instead. Also of note, if you're one of the many that bought an Xbox One at launch, don't expect any freebies from Microsoft for being a loyal customer anytime soon.

For those who own both a PS3 and Xbox 360, which console are you more satisfied with? And do you agree with Medhi's explanation that the reason the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One is due to it being released in more markets?

So it's the 360's fault eh? - fuck off!

But what do you all think?

Hmmm didn't know what thread to put this under as it mentions 4 consoles but this has got to be the greatest spin (bullshit) ever.

I think it's all a load of rubbish personally. :heh:

Last generation I ended up buying all three consoles, firstly the Xbox 360 because I had bought an original Xbox but that was only later on in the previous generation as I had a Gamecube from day 1 then bought an Xbox years later when it was £100 with Outrun 2, the first Xbox was a decent(ish) machine which played a select few titles which I enjoyed - mainly Sega titles - so it stood to reason that the 360 would be worth owning because it was essentially a refined Xbox but with a lot more power and a decent online presence from day one which the first Xbox lacked for me hence I never bothered with the online at the time.

Then the Wii came out just as the 360 was starting to become 'samey' and while there were plenty of decent titles to be had, inbetween the release schedule gaps that Nintendo so 'kindly' provided :indeed: I would find myself looking elsewhere to play even more games, I'd always kept my eye on the PS3 but it wasn't until Uncharted came out that I actually willingly went and bought one.

Since then my main 'multiformat' console was the 360 for all of those games plus the limited exclusives, whereas my Wii and PS3 were for platform exclusive games only... this has served me well for some time but now I'm in the situation of owning both a Wii U plus a PS4 but I also have a stack of 360 games to play so it stands to reason that there is very little point in buying an XBone for me. :blank:

Xbox live gold I no longer require being that I have PS+ which more than fulfils my gaming needs as it covers me across three different Playstation consoles - PS3/PSV/PS4 - supplying me with more games than I will realistically play in addition to giving me access to all online aspects with no restrictions.

Gaming on a brand new Microsoft machine which would do very much the same as my PS4 - except with an interface that I dislike along with very few exclusives that I'd want - just doesn't appeal to me that much, in my eyes they have only had one absolutely stellar machine which was the 360 but even that was plagued with hardware issues for many years, when it worked though... fantastic machine. :)

I'm just more than happy with my PS4 and Wii U this generation... it's that simple. : peace:

Well as has often been said, certainly with Titanfall in mind, there has always been a fear that 360 sales could cannabalise One, and that seems fairly true.

Purely annecdotally, but whenever I browse the UK games sales chart 360 software sales are always pretty high up, Minecraft sells a ton, so people are clearly still happy with their 360's at the moment, so maybe he has a point!

Well as has often been said, certainly with Titanfall in mind, there has always been a fear that 360 sales could cannabalise One, and that seems fairly true.

Purely annecdotally, but whenever I browse the UK games sales chart 360 software sales are always pretty high up, Minecraft sells a ton, so people are clearly still happy with their 360's at the moment, so maybe he has a point!

To be honest, both PS4 and X1 have about the same going for them games-wise at the moment. In truth, it's surprising so many have upgraded already, purely because the games aren't all there yet. If we had to guess, I'd say the X1 is selling pretty well, just the PS4 happens to be storming it so there appears to be a fairly large difference. PS4 got positioned really well in terms of initial price, marketing, power and support this gen, and people were hungry for the next gen.

I actually think he's right but that is definitely not a good thing for Microsoft - they haven't done enough with the One to convince their own users to upgrade and that needs to be sorted out.

Things like having the top titles (new COD, Battlefield and Titanfall for example) come out on the 360 is a reason why people haven't upgraded yet. I imagine towards the end of this year when Destiny, the next generation of COD/Battlefield, new Halo come out you'll see more people upgrade.

I actually think he's right but that is definitely not a good thing for Microsoft - they haven't done enough with the One to convince their own users to upgrade and that needs to be sorted out.

Things like having the top titles (new COD, Battlefield and Titanfall for example) come out on the 360 is a reason why people haven't upgraded yet. I imagine towards the end of this year when Destiny, the next generation of COD/Battlefield, new Halo come out you'll see more people upgrade.

The problem is they have not been straight forward with what the One is. Right now it looks like they want to follow the PS4 except a much less powerful machine. Before it was a Kinect, social, media and connected machine. The system was designed as a half way point between last and current new gen hardware. In between Nintendo's and Sony's strategy.

Some of the games like Titanfall do not look much better than their 360 counterparts. The big budget 3rd party stuff mostly appears everywhere and look/work similar as their last gen counterparts. These run and look best on the PS4 but they are hardly the driving force PS4 sales either. Where do MS go from here?

Where do MS go from here?

This is precisely why Microsoft announced this so far in advance and gave it a launch date that's beyond their E3 conference. There's no way they've decided to do this without deciding a plan of action to differentiate their product in some way to give them some form of competitive advantage.

I'm intrigued to hear what it is, and it's kind of bumped up my excitement for their conference. I doubt they'll try to play too heavily into the power of the cloud card due to the always-online nature it would require, but there's got to be something planned. Sunset Overdrive might be the beginning of what could be a very expensive barrage of exclusives.

Auto sign in is finally arriving, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Easily Increase Games Capacity with External Storage Support

It couldn’t be easier to increase your storage capacity of games and apps with the external storage support features we’re bringing in June. Your Xbox One system will soon support up to two external hard drives at once. Simply plug in your 256 GB or larger USB 3.0 external hard drive and once formatted, copy and move games, apps and game add-ons to increase your storage capacity at home.

This is also a great way to take your content to a friend’s house and get straight into a game directly from an external drive. You’ll need to sign in to Xbox Live if you’ve purchased your content digitally or insert a disc to verify your game ownership when you take your content on the road. The great benefit here is there’s no need to wait to re-download your game and all the DLC. With external storage support in June, you can also choose to copy full games and all of the associated content in one easy step.

Real Names Makes it Easier to Identify Friends

With Xbox One you can have 1,000 friends and infinite followers, but as these lists grow it can become increasingly more difficult to remember the people you know by their gamertag alone. Now with real names feature you can recognize people on your friends list and more easily discover people you already know who are on Xbox Live.

Most importantly, we heard your feedback that to make this most useful you need full control. You’ll be able to share with all your friends, a subset of your choosing, friends of friends or none at all. The choice is yours. Also, your name doesn’t show up in games, and you can change your settings any time from your profile and when adding new friends.

SmartGlass Provides Access to full OneGuide and Universal Remote Control, Pin Reordering and More

We’ve made a ton of changes to your SmartGlass app for Xbox One. After getting great feedback from our SmartGlass beta, we’re thrilled to be bringing the entire OneGuide experience and Universal Remote Control to SmartGlass. Now in supported markets you can view all of your TV listings on your SmartGlass device and set and view your favorite channels and app channels on your smart phone, tablet or PC. With the Universal Remote Control, you can also easily switch channels, set new recordings and select and control recorded content from your DVR. Another great companion feature now in SmartGlass is pin reordering. With the touch of your finger you can easily organize your pins in categories or favorites based on your preferences and have those changes refresh to your console.

Other improvements to SmartGlass will help you stay current on what you and your friends are up to, even when you’re away from your console. We’re bringing hero stats and activity feed front and center, and adding more ways for you to compare achievements via SmartGlass whether you’re on a friend’s profile or viewing a game from the activity feed. Just like on the console, you can choose to get notifications on your smart phone, PC or tablet when a favorite friend signs into their console or starts broadcasting a game. For many devices, you can even choose to start watching the broadcast wherever you are.

Expanded TV and OneGuide Soon Available in More Markets

The TV and OneGuide features we began sharing with select Xbox Live members in April will be available in June to everyone in Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. The update will bring OneGuide, alongside Favorites and App Channels, for people in these markets who have their TV connected to Xbox One via HDMI-in. Additional features in these markets include Kinect voice commands for controlling your set-top box and other AV equipment. We’ve also updated TV and OneGuide settings to provide better power management and control of your devices and improved compatibility with more devices.

New Gold Membership Benefits, Access to Apps for All and More

With this update, you’ll find a new hub in Xbox One for exploring all of the great benefits available to Xbox Live Gold members, including Games with Gold and Deals with Gold. Also, with the Xbox Live Gold changes announced last week, shortly after the Xbox One system update becomes available in June all Xbox Live members will be able to access popular gaming and entertainment apps without a Gold membership.

Finally, we’ve made it possible for you to choose an account for automatic sign-in on your Xbox One – another much-requested feature from fans like you.

Coming soon, these features will be available to members previewing Xbox One system updates as they help us work through final improvements. This system update will become available to the full Xbox One community in June. We look forward to hearing what you think and keep the feedback coming.

Well happy with the auto sign in update.

Auto sign in is finally arriving, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Well happy with the auto sign in update.

Happy with the auto sign in for when Kinect doesn't pick you up, happy with real names being added, happy with external hdd. Some of the smartglass stuff around TV now seems somewhat redundant as the majority of owners will not have Kinect and therefore be unable to control their TV with Xbox. Why the don't bundle this new SKU with some kind of IR blaster is beyond me.

It's the thing that dumbfounded me about this whole Kinect thing...the feeling of total abandonment of this stuff, it's one of the reasons I picked it up. At least they will still support it for those who own it.

It's the thing that dumbfounded me about this whole Kinect thing...the feeling of total abandonment of this stuff, it's one of the reasons I picked it up. At least they will still support it for those who own it.

I was confused as to why they pushed it again. Sales of the Kinect software and hardware had slowed down to a crawl on the 360 and developers didn't really care to use it either. All the signs were there that the market had moved on but they still chose to push Kinect and look where it's got them.

The One would have been in a much better position had they launched without the Kinect in the first place and been the same price, or cheaper, as the PS4. For me they had the better software, which is why I bought one over a PS4, but for many it was simply the price that mattered. I know a bunch of people who moved over from the 360 to the PS4 because of this and fair play to them.

It's crazy to see just how badly both Microsoft and Nintendo have dropped the ball this generation.

I was confused as to why they pushed it again. Sales of the Kinect software and hardware had slowed down to a crawl on the 360 and developers didn't really care to use it either. All the signs were there that the market had moved on but they still chose to push Kinect and look where it's got them.

The One would have been in a much better position had they launched without the Kinect in the first place and been the same price, or cheaper, as the PS4. For me they had the better software, which is why I bought one over a PS4, but for many it was simply the price that mattered. I know a bunch of people who moved over from the 360 to the PS4 because of this and fair play to them.

It's crazy to see just how badly both Microsoft and Nintendo have dropped the ball this generation.

It is encouraging though that Microsoft seem to be listening to consumers and with every update they are able to say "we've listened to your feedback and are now including..." Doesn't excuse a poor start and launching a console that wasn't even on a par, feature wise, with the 360, but it's a start!

It is encouraging though that Microsoft seem to be listening to consumers and with every update they are able to say "we've listened to your feedback and are now including..." Doesn't excuse a poor start and launching a console that wasn't even on a par, feature wise, with the 360, but it's a start!

Absolutely.

The updates they have done with the console have been great and released in a very speedy manner. As you said, it's features that fans were kicking off about not being there and they have sorted it out very quickly.

I wish Nintendo would have this approach. :(

I would personally have dropped the price and taken the lose if they could maybe this just wasn't possible.

Anyway I'm still with you the software we know of that will come to Xbox One in 2014 has made it and continues makes it far more interesting to me personally.