NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I thought something like this might happen as they kept mentioning TV 'cable boxes' like they have in America, but I doubted it would work with my £15 Freeview box...

How is TV integration?

just seen a thread on GAF

thats pretty bad for TV TV TV xbox to not actually be any good at TV (outside of the US).....Europe sucks sort of view again

Yes pretty shocking and I don't have faith that they will sort it out...

I can't believe there's an options screen hidden in the system which can brick the console in the blink of an eye. Hope they patch it out asap, hugely naive to think that it wouldn't be found and exploited.

I was happily enjoying playing Dead Rising 3 before today. I went on to play it today and it needed to update so I let it do it's thing. Now it crashes whenever I try to load my save. Awesome.

I was happily enjoying playing Dead Rising 3 before today. I went on to play it today and it needed to update so I let it do it's thing. Now it crashes whenever I try to load my save. Awesome.

Going to add you as a friend nice to know I'm not the only Xbox One player on N-E!

Going to add you as a friend nice to know I'm not the only Xbox One player on N-E!

I don't know if you've added me or not but I can't see you on my friend list.

I don't know if you've added me or not but I can't see you on my friend list.

They've changed how it works. I should show up on your followers list and now if you add me I'll show up in your friends list.

So, I snapped me up a One over the Christmas period and have been enjoying some fantastic gaming sessions on it. My brother got one, then my nephew and then a couple of guys I play with on the 360, so I went with the console that everyone I play with had bought.

I manged to end up getting a Day One console and Day One versions of Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5. I got Fifa with the console and also purchased Zoo Tycoon, Lego Marvel Superheroes and Halo: Spartan Assault and Max: Curse of Brotherhood from the Xbox Live store. I also got Killer Instinct combo pack for free off Microsoft, which unlocks all the characters for the free to play game.

First, the negatives.

Why isn't there a notification pop up if someone signs online? This is such a backwards step, i'm really baffled by it.

The home screen took a lot of getting used to. I had to delete some stuff like Skype and then pin some of the useful stuff I was after.

Having the party chat option as off as a default setting is crazy. the amount of times my brother or mates have forgot to switch it on during a party was nuts.

Now the good stuff. The games.

I wanted the exclusive games for the console, like Halo: Spartan Assault, Forza, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. Some of these got slammed by reviewers but i'm not one to listen to people I don't know and would rather make my own opinion on things. I was right to do so.

RYSE

Fantastic game. I honestly dunno what game the reviewers were playing. Visually the game is stunning. STUNNING. The story is a nice mix of God of War and Gladiator. The combat, while repetitive, is nice and fluid, with counter attacks become more and more essential as the game goes on ( as well as on Legendary difficulty ). Picking whether to boost your life, XP or slowdown time powers can be tricky on the harder difficulties and a lot of the time the wrong calls could cost you.

Online is also great. You hook up with a buddy or a random person and fight in wave after wave of enemies in ever changing arenas. Get the combo kills meter up is the key to getting a crazy amount of exp.

Dead Rising 3

Absolutely crazy game and probably the best one in the series so far. The amount of zombies on screen has always impressed me on the DR games but nothing could prepare me for the amount that appear on screen in this installment.

The wacky weapons on DR games are always a joy to find and create and it was no different here. Some of my personal favs are the Elemental Staff, which is a traffic light mixed with a propane tank and nitrogen tank. The slapper, which is 2 foam hands on a stick and when pressing the Y attack the hands clap together to burst a zombies head open. Finally the Megaman X Buster. This thing is an absolute beast in Y button mode.

The combo cars are also off the hook. The best one for me being the motorbike mixed with a steamroller. This creates the Rollerhawg which is a bike with the steamroller part attached to the front, with a bunch of blades around said roller. The amount of kills you can get with this beast is legendary.

I played through this on co-op with one of my mates and then myself through Nightmare mode and it was great to see that after the initial long loading screen the game doesn't have a loading screen after that. Travelling from island to island is now a seamless experience, unlike the other games where it had to load, depending on where you went in the Mall.

Halo: Spartan Assault

A nice little distraction this one. You can blitz the game in a couple of hours but trying to get the medals and doing all the spartan missions is where the challenge lies.

I played the co-op missions with my nephew the other night and they are so fast and frantic.

You have the Flood attacking you at every angle and a lot of the time we had our backs pinned against the wall, just randomly firing, trying desperately to carve a way out with gun fire. Some of the levels have you needing to work as a team as doors need opening one way and then your partner needs to open them on his end once he's through.

Yeah, not a bad little game at all.

The other game I put a lot of time into was Fifa but then, it's Fifa and there's not much to say about that. Although using the Kinect voice commands to switch formations and get subs off the bench on the fly was great.

I dabbled with Killer Instinct but I need more spare time with that one to get to grips with the combo system. I then started playing Lego Marvel Superheroes yesterday, which has had me in stitches already. Love me some Lego games.

I like how the One also has challenges to do. Sure, they don't add any gamerpoints to my score but they are neat additions to the achievement system. Ones on Fifa were dishing out XP and credits, while the Dead Rising ones were giving out in game costumes. The ones on Halo gave me sod all, apart from the achievement itself in the achievement list.

So, yeah, pretty happy with my purchase so far and I haven't even touched Forza, Max or Zoo Tycoon yet and I may pick up Crimson Dragon yet. Those games should keep me going until Titanfall hits.

Good to hear your thoughts @Hero\-of\-Time : peace:

I'm kinda glad your still with the XBOX for gamerscore purposes. Dat dedication! :laughing:

What are your thoughts on the controller? Better, worse, no real change?

I had a hands on with my mates a few weeks back - only had a quick blast on Forza (not my type of game tbh) but the controller was a joy. I loved the 360 one anyway so expected this to be just as good / better. D pad finally seems to be decent which is the biggest win.

My mate was yelling at the console to do stuff and literally it was having none of it. :laughing:

He was pissed off as he said it works flawlessly when he's on his own but whenever there was someone else in the room to show it off to, the XBOX got shy haha.

Definitely wanting to pick one up myself - but not for a looong while yet, and not until I've seen a PS4 in the flesh / held the controller. Dead Rising looks amazing.

Thanks for the write up :) I think notifications will make a come-back. The official word is that now that you have a limit of 1000 friends, the notifications could potentially get annoying. But obviously this is why it should be in there as an option.

Thoughts on Kinect improvements over the first model?

I haven't done any flailing my arms around with Kinect but the voice stuff is great. It picks everything I say up perfectly. Sure, you can just press a button but it's nice to go all futuristic every now and then.

As I said earlier, the Fifa stuff works great and my brother in law couldn't believe how flawless it was when I showed him the formation and substitute changes stuff.

The controller feels great. I thought the 360 controller was easily the most comfortable pad I had ever used and this is the natural progression of that. I'm glad they didn't go nuts and overhaul it, just a few tweaks here and there to make an already awesome pad even better.

I'm still having issues with Kinect voice recognition. I suspect it's because I've lived in the West Midlands all my life.

I think the analogue sticks are a bit too... tall. Is that a weird thing to say? I just feel like my thumbs are bent a bit too much when I'm using it. The trigger motors are amazing though. I have to say that I prefer the controller to my DualShock 4.

I've finally managed to complete Dead Rising 3 after my save got deleted. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Added @flameboy and @Nintenchris now (I think!).

I haven't done any flailing my arms around with Kinect but the voice stuff is great. It picks everything I say up perfectly. Sure, you can just press a button but it's nice to go all futuristic every now and then.

As I said earlier, the Fifa stuff works great and my brother in law couldn't believe how flawless it was when I showed him the formation and substitute changes stuff.

The controller feels great. I thought the 360 controller was easily the most comfortable pad I had ever used and this is the natural progression of that. I'm glad they didn't go nuts and overhaul it, just a few tweaks here and there to make an already awesome pad even better.

Nice to hear someone else is on the Xbox One bandwagon! Going to add you now! Will have to play FIFA sometime...and I look forward to racing your drivatar in Forza!

Nice to hear someone else is on the Xbox One bandwagon! Going to add you now! Will have to play FIFA sometime...and I look forward to racing your drivatar in Forza!

I still haven't started Forza yet.

I'm still surprised you got yourself a One. I thought a PS4 would have been first on your list.

I still haven't started Forza yet.

I'm still surprised you got yourself a One. I thought a PS4 would have been first on your list.

To be honest it doesn't sound like a surprise when I rationalize it...

I owned an original xbox and some of the game on it rank as my favourite that generation (Grabbed by the Ghoulies being one such title) I plumped for PS3 at the time as a second console to supplement my Wii as the likes of Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet and the superior version of Burnout Paradise had more pull for me at the time than Gears of War, Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead (Halo didn't come into my reasoning I was never much of a fan of the first 2, downright hated 1 and thought 2 was meh). The current launch line ups for both consoles there is more on Xbox One I want to play:

Forza, Dead Rising 3 > Killzone, Knack, Resogun

Going forward I am much more excited for Titanfall and Quantum Break than I am for Infamous and The Order. Uncharted is a ways off if we are honest. Something like Project Spark is more interesting to me than Little Big Planet which I'm now over. Finally the fact that Killer Instinct came back and is pretty awesome, pleases me no end! Does this mean this gen Microsoft will tap into Rare's back catalogue more?

Plus I've banged on about this before but it really is a pain in the arse that Sony don't allow for any region changing of accounts. I know if you have one parent account that's got plus etc...then anyone can play that content on a PS4 but it's a pain in the arse to have to quit out of game purely to get DLC etc...I dunno it just put me off especially if all the Gaikai magic somehow doesn't work as it's a different region when it comes to making older games you own available for streaming (via a fee I'd imagine).

I definitely prefer the Xbox One controller I outright don't like the feel of the PS4 triggers something I know I'm in the minority over. Whilst the new bumpers on Xbox have taken some getting used to I still like them. I feel like it fits in the hard as a whole more egonomically than the elongated DS4.

Finally....since moving to Canada and sharing my tv set up with the missus I've found than increased need for a media savvy mission. Whilst it's not quite there I feel this is a bigger step in that all encompassing direction. The OS as a result feels snappy, its more what I want from a next gen console. The fact I can pop back to the home menu and whatever I was last going is there running in a big tile. The way I can seamlessly jump between apps and resume games with such ease. Hell I love playing forza whilst having TV snapped right there. By comparison the PS4 version of XMB just feels like a chunkier more graphical version of the PS3 version it's just for me. Their games games games mantra is great but the games aren't there yet.

I also see the bashing Microsoft got originally on the Xbox One as a positive now, they won't be taking anything for granted anytime soon. Remember how the PS3 was the overpriced console that got bashed at launch but arguably over time became the console despite being behind sales wise for much of the generation? I can see the same thing happening this gen but in reverse.

Looks like I'll be defiantly getting an XB1 this year

Rob Semsey ‏@robSemsey 7m

Xbox Wire today mentioned a few 2014 titles; Halo on Xbox One not listed due to official name of the next title not announced yet.

Rob Semsey ‏@robSemsey 7m

Rest assured your next Halo journey WILL begin in 2014. #staycalm

Looks like I'll be defiantly getting an XB1 this year

I must be the only person who owns an XB1 not bothered about Halo! I played the first two but didn't own a 360 so missed out on 3, Reach, ODST and 4! As a result feel I have too much to catch up on and likely never will! All about Titanfall and Destiny for me!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-21-microsoft-paid-youtubers-to-say-nice-things-about-xbox-one-report

I've not liked the way Youtubers have been taking money from companies for a while now but this just makes me trust them even less.

Yeah, read about this yesterday on Gaf. Shocking business practice but not unexpected. I imagine there are a few companies who pull this kind of stuff as well. Still doesn't make it right though.

Yeah, read about this yesterday on Gaf. Shocking business practice but not unexpected. I imagine there are a few companies who pull this kind of stuff as well. Still doesn't make it right though.

I'm pretty sure there are even laws against it, especially in the US.