NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

2 hours ago, bob said:

Aren't they all basically the same game though?

Not at all. 1 and 2 are the closest to each other but they still have adjusted mechanics. Playstyle is very similar however. Biggest difference is the removal of ragdoll physics sadly. 

Bloodborne plays completely differently. Defensive strategies are just not meant to be viable like they used to be. It’s a game about striking first fast and hard. Some fundamental mechanics do remain from the Souls games though of course. 

Dark Souls 3 is an excellent blending of the two playstyles. Sword and board is still great, but everything is a bit more sped up. Dodging and being fast is viable now. 

Plus us all the storylines are obviously all different and pretty good actually. 

• Like 1

Just finished SUPERHOT.

This is the most innovative shooter in years.

Now I'm free.

• Like 1

Currently giving Gravity Rush: The Animation - Overture a watch before playing GR2 this evening, might as well get it done whilst the 1st game is fresh in my mind still.

Just bought Armello. Always wanted to get it but I somehow forgot about it :D Anyway, it's on sale for 6€ now (instead of 20€) and I had some money to spare on my account so I just went for it.

From the Steam page:

Armello is a grand swashbuckling adventure that combines three styles of play; The deep tactics of card games with the rich strategy of table top board games, combined with a character role-playing system.

As a hero from one of the clans of Armello, you'll quest, scheme, hire agents, explore, vanquish monsters, cast spells and face off against other players, with one ultimate end goal in mind — storming the palace and becoming King or Queen of Armello. The Kingdom of Armello is as dangerous as it is beautiful, perils, banes and bandits hide around every corner and a spreading corruption known as the rot is leaving no creature untouched.

Armello is League of Geeks’ attempt to revolutionise digital board and card games, whilst providing players a rich world within which they can craft their own stories of epic adventure. The aim was to create a rich game full of backstabbing, close shaves, shattered alliances, ruses and empty promises - a perfect game to play online with your friends.

Sounds like a game I'd enjoy, but I've never really been sure about that. That's the reason why I didn't want to pay the full price when the game was released. But for the discounted price I'm happy to take the chance. :) Will give this a go tomorrow and might post some impressions.

Edited by drahkon

If anyone's interested: Armello is pretty good.

As with most tabletop games (at least from my experiences) there's quite a bit of chance involved (what with dice rolls and drawing cards) which may be a turn off for others. I like that, because it forces you to adapt and chance plans when things go wrong. Sometimes it can fuck you up forever, though, which is annoying :D

Anyway, I've only played against the AI and haven't won a game, yet. Still getting used to the mechanics. It's a shame that none of my gaming mates will buy it because it's not their cup of tea. Might have to resort to playing randoms online...if there's an active playerbase.

It's about Armello again. :p

Managed to win a couple of games against the AI.

Sadly the active playerbase on PS4 is apparently almost non-existent. You need 4 players and I was only able to find 3 during matchmaking once...but one dropped out before the game started :(

Anyway, the AI is not bad. They do make some silly mistakes form time to time, though.
Need to win with two more win conditions and then I've won with all four conditions :peace:

Well...looks like no one here is interested in this game so I'll stop posting about it :D

Edit: Played a match against other people. I ended up in the last place...I played horribly and wasn't very lucky. I did, however, help another player win during the last turn. If I hadn't helped him a different player would've won. But that dude was sooooo god damn lucky I couldn't let him take first place :laughing:

Edited by drahkon

Picked up Earth Defense Force 4.1 last night. Immediately in love with the game. Originally hadn’t realized it was a remaster nor that it was a direct sequel to EDF 2017. I never cared for Insect Armageddon and was kind of burned on trying 2025. Wish I had now, but it’s just as good years later. 

Takes me back to the early Xbox 360 days and playing it split screen wishing 2017 had online. Now I just need to convince people to get this on PS4. 

The new firmware beta is rolling out and this is what is included in the update.

• you still CAN'T change nick
  • you can delete ALL notifications
  • you can turn notifications when friends became available with triangle on friends screen
  • you can HIDE from "bought" library (there's bought and PS+ library now visible in "library")
  • you can create teams to attend in events (was it available before maybe? never using even

The bolded should make a few people happy.

you still CAN'T change nick

Was this rolling around the rumour mill or is this something some people just say every time? :p

30 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Was this rolling around the rumour mill or is this something some people just say every time? :p

I like to think Sony put it in the release notes each time :laughing:

• Like 1

Who would want to change Nick? I thought we liked Nick, do we not like Nick?

Kaz Hirai is stepping down as Sony Corp. CEO, and will be replaced by Kenichiro Yoshida at the start of the next fiscal year, on April 1st. Hirai will become a chairman, which is largely an honorary role. 

Hirai has overseen the turnaround of Sony during his reign since 2012 from heavy losses to forecast record profits for the current fiscal year to March. 

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Crazy, isn't it? I honestly think that the PS4 could go for another 3-4 years. The thing isn't really slowing down that much in sales or in releases. 

And if we see another price drop both the PS4 and the Pro will sale (edit: sell...) even more. Pretty sure that we'll see the Slim being sold for 150€ at the end of this "generation". And with this price...it could to gangbusters even then.

Edited by drahkon

Started playing Sundered just now. Very early into the game so I can't say much. It's fun so far. Haven't come across anything special, though. Three enemy types and one "ability".

There's one huge issue though: The game stutters...not constantly but occasionally, which makes fights and jumps (which are precision based) quite difficult. The devs were apparently aware of it back in August 2017 and released several patches but it looks like the stutters weren't completely fixed. And with the time that's passed I doubt we'll see another patch.

Loading times are very long, too. Just died and it took quite a while to respawn.

@Hero-of-Time you might want to take that into consideration if you haven't bought it, yet. Also: the game is procedurally generated; iirc you don't like that?

Anway, back to playing :D Started on hard difficulty and from time to time I get my balls rocked.

Edit: Ok, after my first death it all makes sense. I'm going to play this a lot. Procedurally generated levels, rogue-like elements...it's my jam. I can forgive the long loading times and stutters :laughing:

Edit²: @Hero-of-Time, no idea if the tag works again with the edit; hope you see this:

That's pretty cool. I mean, performance improvements and content? Sounds dope. I might put Sundered on hold then and start Jotun instead. But knowing myself I probably can't stop playing... :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Sony has launched My PlayStation, a new browser version of your PSN profile for use on desktops, tablets and smart devices. 

jpg

IGN also has some news from DICE: Naughty Dog might make a non-third person game after TLOU2. 

When Naughty Dog was working on The Last of Us, Druckmann said the studio brainstormed whether the game should be first or third-person. While the team ultimately settled on a third-person perspective with a tight camera, Druckmann said they've kicked around the idea of making a Naughty Dog first-person game and even joked about how they might approach making Half-Life 3.

"We're totally open. The future, the next game that we do might not be third-person," Naughty Dog creative director Neil Druckmann said today during a panel at DICE Summit 2018.

Edited by Julius Caesar

Started playing Jotun. It's beautiful and atmospheric. It's also kinda slow (i.e. fights, exploration). I like it, but I'm not sure yet how much. :D For 5€ it seems like a great deal. @Hero-of-Time you should read up about it, maybe watch some gameplay clips before buying it.

Also finally gave Hands of Fate a real go after buying the DLC for 2€. It's actually pretty good but very easy so far...I've read that it stays that way until the final boss.

I have the day off so I'm gonna spend some more time with Hands of Fate and CoD WWII. Maybe Jotun, as well.

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Started playing Jotun. It's beautiful and atmospheric. It's also kinda slow (i.e. fights, exploration). I like it, but I'm not sure yet how much. :D For 5€ it seems like a great deal. @Hero-of-Time you should read up about it, maybe watch some gameplay clips before buying it.

Yeah, i've had my eyes on Jotun for a while now. The game looks beautiful. I'll pick it up but only if I finish off another game first. I have Salt & Sanctuary and Pyre still on the dashboard, so I may tackle one of those. 

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I have Salt & Sanctuary and Pyre still on the dashboard, so I may tackle one of those. 

I take personal offense that you haven't played Salt & Sanctuary, yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Horizon Zero Dawn has sold over 7.6 million units in its first year on sale (it’s the game’s 1 year anniversary today), according to the PlayStation Blog, which makes it the best-selling new first-party franchise launch title on PS4. 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1