NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Now you say that like its a bad thing, the way i see it is that now the PS4 and WiiU are very similar in the feature they offer AND unique gaming IP's, where as Microsoft and Next box now don't have nearly as much going for them, they have very few IP's left, Charge for online and won't offer off screen play.......if they restrict used games then well they are dead.

I can see the lead console being the ps4, with things porting to WiiU and the next box, but the nextbox being the looser of this generation

You're right. It does mean that more features that are similar across the three platforms mean that more multi-platform games will make use of it but it also means they lose some of their uniqueness. Which I think is a shame. We may as well just have one console on the marketplace.

Also, it hasn't been confirmed either way if the PS4 will have free online has it? Last I heard the rumours were that they were going to start charging for it in an expanded PS+. It would still beat Xbox Live Gold if Microsoft don't refresh that up for their next console though.

How much are people willing to pay for this out of interest?

If I keep my job I'd say 400€-450€. Otherwise...not sure. Probably won't be a day-one-buy then.

i can't tell if your being sarcastic, just like i can't tell if you knew i was being sarcastic.......its too early lack of sleep...can't comprehend this, was up late watching bald me masturbate on a stage :laughing:

He won't have one of those mind you, and now seeing that second quote you did its all but confirmed it ain't a money bags laptop :laughing:

did my first post make my views clear? i was underwhelmed because the filler made it boring, but solely regarding the PS4/DS4 and Killzone i am jizzing my pants off

Even I can't tell if I'm being sarcastic anymore. I do want to know his laptop's specs, though.

There was a lot of awesome stuff that was only briefly touched upon but it is on February. It did get dull but this press conference was as much for developers and the media as it was for us. I think they revealed enough for now in terms of content, quality and variation. It was basically Sony throwing down the gauntlet. E3 will be much more tailored to us and it's four months off, there will be more to show.

How much are people willing to pay for this out of interest? PC specs mean PC prices, and these costs will get passed on to the consummer at somepoint if not at the checkout, via subscription services. I can't see this costing that much less than the PS3 was at launch myself.

£300 i'm fealing....i could stretch to £350 if the right games are announced but i don't yet know if i'm getting it at launch

did my first post make my views clear? i was underwhelmed because the filler made it boring, but solely regarding the PS4/DS4 and Killzone i am jizzing my pants off

Yes. All those long speeches where they said nothing but meaningless marketing buzzwords.

Conference was OK, but it was hardly the greatest thing I've ever seen. Sony didn't exactly steal the show. Barring impressive specs, if that was a Nintendo show the following would have been said:

- Where were all the games? A fourth Killzone, is that the best Sony can do???? We want new IPs!!!!

- Ooooh they've copied Kinect, lol - NOT HARDCORE

- You need to purchase a Vita for off screen play WTF, no one's going to stump up all that money and then have to buy a Vita too to unlock it's true potential!!!

- They didn't show the console, what's wrong with them!!!

- I didn't see any demos by from (insert publisher that didn't show something)

^^^^^ That is exactly what would have been said had Nintendo done that exact conference.

As far as I'm concerned, it was pretty much what I expected. It seemed quite a rushed showing, the graphics whilst impressive hardly offer the leap that the 360 did over the original XBOX and are definitely something that could be done already on a decent PC.

But overall, I'm sure Sony fans will be happy with it as the specs were impressive and if you're a Sony fan you know all your favourite franchises will be coming to it.

I was expecting Zechs to get torn to bits over this, but this is exactly what I was thinking, too.

I was left :blank: at Square's showing. I had to laugh at their "please be excited for Final Fantasy at E3"...please. You could also see my blood boiling when Capcom took to the stage and mentioned briefly "their success" with the latest Resident Evils. I had to be held back at that point.

It was pretty long, too. Started off a bit ropey but it got a bit more interesting once the games were being shown, but I wonder if it could have been half an hour shorter? I'm not impressed with the controller at all as I've never liked the Dual Shock/original controller design, and by now you would have expected Sony to have revamped it massively. Can't get used to that controller and I just don't like it.

One thing I found was the lack of charm in any of that conference. I've always found Sony very cold, but I know some people like the way they do things, but they don't really speak to me. "Here is our controller, it does this, here are our specs, here is Killzone, look at how much is happening on screen." I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but they don't seem to have as much personality or charm as Nintendo, even in their conferences.

If you're a Sony fan, it was a good show. It hasn't really done anything to say to me that I should choose a PS4 next gen, so I won't be getting one. Pleased that WatchDogs is coming to WiiU mind, that's the best thing about yesterday for me. :)

How much are people willing to pay for this out of interest?

At the moment, with the little that we've seen, I'd say £350 to £400.

I'm guessing that the £300 price reported by The Times, if true, would be without VAT anyway.

It was pretty long, too. Started off a bit ropey but it got a bit more interesting once the games were being shown, but I wonder if it could have been half an hour shorter? I'm not impressed with the controller at all as I've never liked the Dual Shock/original controller design, and by now you would have expected Sony to have revamped it massively. Can't get used to that controller and I just don't like it.

One thing I found was the lack of charm in any of that conference. I've always found Sony very cold, but I know some people like the way they do things, but they don't really speak to me. "Here is our controller, it does this, here are our specs, here is Killzone, look at how much is happening on screen." I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but they don't seem to have as much personality or charm as Nintendo, even in their conferences.

If you're a Sony fan, it was a good show. It hasn't really done anything to say to me that I should choose a PS4 next gen, so I won't be getting one. Pleased that WatchDogs is coming to WiiU mind, that's the best thing about yesterday for me. :)

I can't really disagree with any of that, particularly the lack of charm throughout the conference..

All Nintendo need to do at E3 is show a couple of new IPs, Metroid and Mario Kart in playable form along with a glimpse into the future of new Mario and Zelda titles and any fears I have about the future of Wii U will quickly fade away :hehe:

Well having caught up now and watched the majority of the show I thought it was pretty decent. I like that Sony are trying to be as versatile and forward thinking in the feature set as possible (who cares if it's "me too"). Some of it seemed a bit wank and the presentations themselves were the usual cringey, overlong stuff, but the content was pretty interesting. Only a couple of the games peaked my interest, but I'm definitely in the wowed camp if those graphics in the Capcom demo are real-time. Witness looks interesting as well.

PCs are just not appealing to me as a gaming platform. I really like the fixed hardware base of a console and ringing every last drop out of it. Also there's something I just find alienating about playing on a PC these days unless it's a strategy game ::shrug:

The reaction has been surprisingly tepid so far, but I think that's mainly because it was massively over-hyped AND certain crucial elements were missing (that will come at E3). Zechs is bang-on though saying that if this was Nintendo there'd be some blindingly obvious trolling to be had over only showing the controller ;)

Overall, it's the evolutionary step I was hoping for.

Zechs is bang-on though saying that if this was Nintendo there'd be some blindingly obvious trolling to be had over only showing the controller

So the Dualshock 4, it's like an add-on for the PS3 right?

The guy that was demonstrating Drive Club...I think he's an exceptions to that. He actually seemed really happy to be showing off his work, there was alot of enthusiasm and you got impression he was proud of his work and couldn't wait to show it to us. He almost sounded disappointed when his demo was over.

Not really a Sony fan, but I did think it was a good show. I think more eye opening really. Never played Infamous, Not played Killzone 3, Couldn't care for the move part. But just seeing the horse power. As @Daft said in a different thread, it was like Next Gen had officially begun. (Despite the Wii U getting the early start).

I cant believe some of the comments around the web are saying the new KZ is only slightly prettier than what we have now. Glasses all round I think.

I cant believe some of the comments around the web are saying the new KZ is only slightly prettier than what we have now. Glasses all round I think.

I disagree. It's clearly a better looking game. But it's not something that is blowing people away. I think people have become so over focused on graphics they were expecting the moon on a stick!

It's not better than mods for games on high end PCs and a decent quality PC would push those graphics out.

Before people ask why they don't, it's down to development costs and shared assets being used between three builds of the game - PC/PS3/360.

Don't get me wrong, it looks really nice. But it's not the crazy leap some people have been predicting. But personally, if I was a Sony fan I'd be happy with the system specs and happy with the demo - although I would asking the question 'will it run at 60fps', because to me that's a bigger deal than all the pretty effects and details.

It's not better than mods for games on high end PCs and a decent quality PC would push those graphics out.

Any examples?

In my case, it's not the graphics that have been disappointing, they are obviously very high end, but the PS4 games on show so far. Show me something different.

Any examples?

There are some insanely impressive Skyrim mods that have blown me away.

Edited by not_so_tiny
Automerged Doublepost

Not really a Sony fan, but I did think it was a good show. I think more eye opening really. Never played Infamous, Not played Killzone 3, Couldn't care for the move part. But just seeing the horse power. As @Daft said in a different thread, it was like Next Gen had officially begun. (Despite the Wii U getting the early start).

Before I get lynched, I said if a crappy third party like Capcom can make something that looks as impressive as Deep Down then that's all the reassurance I need.

are some insanely impressive Skyrim mods that have blown me away.

You mean the ones that can't get more than 10fps unless you're linking up 2 or more 7970s? (at £350 each)

There are some insanely impressive Skyrim mods that have blown me away.

I've seen some amazingly impressive screenshots. And some of the required mods for graphics like that are labelled "For making screenshots only. Not for playing."

Any examples?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506297

Have a look there for starters. What's more, as I've already stated, as assets are shared between the console and PC versions to reduce costs you're only seeing beefed up versions of the console games on PCs.

These PCs are capable of much more if you developed a game from scratch for them without having to create assets that run on consoles.

Yeah, just looked in it properly and I stand corrected, still, very impressive screenshots :P

Looking across the board, I am surprised by the lukewarm reaction to the reveal, I expected 'graphics nuts' to be salivating over it, maybe our interests have change or was the conference hyped by he press too much?