NEurope
Guy

Geeky Garb - What's Your Limit?

So... there has been some interesting discussion in the purchases thread about a certain Zelda shirt our pal Peeps picked up from Play, pictured below:

Exhibit A:

39259530_300x300_1.jpg

I'm sure all of us have gaming t-shirts and I know a few people here have what might be considered "geeky" tattoos. The discussion about the Zelda shirt got me wondering how everyone else sees these types of things. Just to clarify - this isn't a thread to rag on the shirt some more - I actually think it's a really cool design - I just wanted to explore a simple question.

What is your personal limit for this kind of stuff?

Me? I'm rarely seen without a geeky t-shirts. This is because I am the coolest person in the world. It is also because I don't really give a crap about fashion. I guess I like to wear stuff that represents me and the things I like. Heck, I'm even starting to consider some geeky tattoos in the next few years

I'd much rather advertise shows and games I like than a massive Reebok or Nike label (I am so out of touch with fashion).

What about you guys?

[if something like this already exists, please lock the thread down and I will promise never to make a new thread again]

I would say I wouldn't wear that shirt. But I've walked around like this.

assassins-creed-inspired-hoodie.jpg

Not like the woman, that's just silly.

Can you stop making threads regardless? :P

2uzuydd.jpg

This is probably the nerdiest shirt that I actually wear out and about, but I am pretty much always wearing a band t-shirt instead *shrug*

I have heaps of random Nintendo ones that I'll usually only wear around the house, or for chilling in when going to a mates place or something.

The great thing about geeky t-shirts is that they allow you to categorize geeks at a glance. Like, if they're wearing a Zelda t-shirt, maybe they're worth talking to. If they're wearing a Big Bang Theory, you know not to pull them out of a burning building. If they're wearing an über weeaboo shirt, they're probably into some really freaky stuff, so you should totally flirt with them.

I've got a few gaming t-shirts, I've worn them to Uni and work. I don't care, I'll wear what I like. :P I don't wear them all the time though.

Insert Coin do some good gaming related stuff, they are pretty vague so only people who know the game will recognise it. I bought their Dreamcast bag, but haven't used it yet.

I've seen "Exhibit A" in person though and it was sparkly... that's where I draw the line. :P

Seen some people out with Mass Effect and Resident Evil stuff before. Don't tend to think much about it.

Edited by Ike

T-shirts are fine for me (obviously). I don't like t-shirts that are just a massive logo for a company but I like t-shirts that have things I like on them. Hypocritically I would probably wear a t-shirt with just a Nintendo logo, but I typically wouldn't wear one that just had the adidas logo on it. I like to wear band t-shirts and gaming t-shirts and the rest of them are just one colour or have a pattern I like.

T-shirts are fun and I usually have a jacket or something on so they're not on show as much. If someone gets close to me they'd notice but that's about it. It's about wearing what I want to wear and showing off what I want to show off and when :p

I probably wouldn't get a geeky jacket or hoody unless I didn't plan to wear it in public or unless it just looked damn good or wasn't so obviously geek attire (like Cube's awesome Mass Effect jacket). If I did, then it'd be fully on show like I'm trying to get myself labelled in a certain way. I think t-shirts are less like that.

I have a few game-themed t-shirts but more Zelda than anything else, not only because I like the games so much but because I think they look good. The only other ones I have that I can think of are a sonic t-shirt and a metroid one but I now have like 5 or 6 Zelda ones.

99% of my T-shirts are geeky as i buy most from Teefury,Redbubble and other sites. Other clothes wise i have nothing (but that ass creed hoodie looks cool....), generally though i won't wear a tee that got that big a logo (like the first zelda Tee)

I'd love some of those club nintendo polo shirts with the tiny logo's, and some of the MGS peacewalker clothing if it weren't ridiculously priced and US only

Fuck 'em @The Peeps, I love that shirt and I want it.

To answer the thread at hand, I don't particularly give a shit about what other people think that much, if I like something and think it's awesome then I'll wear it regardless.

The vast majority of my T-Shirts are videogame/movie/comic book related. Couldnt give a shit what people think of them. I'm wearing Batman converse everytime I go out and I think to myself yeaaaaaaaah my shoes are awesome.

Quite fond of my Lets twat them Red Dwarf T-shirt and the few Qwertee t-shirts I have.

I think the Triforce tees are usually pretty tacky and embarrassing. They're like the equivalent of the silk Dragonball shirts fat mulleted otaku would wear in the 90s.

I do however have an extensive collection of rare Street Fighter tshirts, my favourite being one I got from Uni Qlo a few years back - it's turquoise and has nothing but the Hadoken command input on it. It's a good way of secretively being nerdy, because only other heinous nerds are going to know what the fuck it means.

I do have a few gaming shirts that I've got for free over the years but I only wear them as pyjamas, nothing outside of the house.

I also have a...Naruto (I think) shirt that Nintendo gave me. I sometimes wear that when I cover events but that's about it.

I have these shirts

carcetti_1_2.jpg

heisenbergbreakingbad-asphalt.gif

los-pollos-hermanos-shirt-gus-fring-shirt.american-apparel-unisex-athletic-tee.athletic-blue.w760h760.jpg

bada-ebay-1.jpg

Stuff that's geeky, but not obvious to anyone unless they've watched the shows. I do get people coming up to me and chatting to me about them though which is cool.

I also have a...Naruto (I think) shirt that Nintendo gave me. I sometimes wear that when I cover events but that's about it.

Is that your nerd camouflage?

I shall find all my geeky game shirts and post a lovely piccy sometime. Because I'm nice like that.

merch_2.jpg

This is ok.

------------

untitled_0.preview.JPG

This is shit.

Easy, right?

Anything which promotes Other M is shit :heh:

I don't give a flying fuck what people think, if I think something is awesome, I'll wear it! Hell, I walk around in a Neo longcoat during the winter! :p I used to be self-conscious about it, but now the biggest problem is that it's impractical on stairs and on the bus. :heh:

I still have a couple of old Dragonball T-Shirts that still fit. I use them as sleeping clothes, basically :heh:

That said, T-Shirts with simple symbols (like the Triforce, the Hyrule Crest, or the Metroid one Oxi_Waste showed) look pretty good and aren't "in-your-face" regarding the geekyness. I'd totally wear them.

Basically, I'm trying to say that Oxi_Waste is absolutely correct :heh:

Only got 2 gaming related T-shirts. One is a Fenchurch T-shirt with Faith from Mirror's Edge printed on it that I was given when I bought the game in GAME when it was released.

3027406756_12a72aa00e.jpg

Think it was supposed to be a pre-order only deal but they asked if I wanted one and seeing as they had a massive box filled with them, I happily took one. And I've happily worn that out in public because so few people know what it's about. That and I can keep my dream alive of DICE eventually getting round to making a sequel :p

The other one I have is a Donkey Kong Country Returns T-shirt and I have never worn it outside of my house, and never will. It's bright yellow for a start and is definitely a bit too geeky/garish to wear publicly.

I've had pokemon and back to the future shirts before. I wouldn't not wear anything geeky, but I wouldn't go out of my way to wear geeky things and "represent" myself.

I have one gaming t shirt - a Donkey Kong one from NOM back in the day I got when I must have been about 12. Honestly if the fit was alright, I might still wear it as that sort of retro game is a bit in fashion right now. Example: The Pac Man mug I just got from Urban Outfitters.

Generally speaking I think they tend to look lame. However, I love band t shirts. But as we all know Music is cool and games are not :heh:

I don't see why people are giving Peeps a hard time over the shirt he bought. I think it's an awesome shirt.

As for myself. I think I only have 2 "manufactured" shirts, a "Know Your Roots" NES shirt and a "Club Nintendo" Shirt I got from the Stars Catalogue. Most of the tshirts I've bought are shirts of bands whose concerts I've been too, so a lot of Iron Maiden, Metallica and others. I do have one shirt that has "Ctrl Alt Del" buttons on it :D (I'm actually wearing that right now)

But I do have a ton of gaming shirts that I've had custom made in the Philippines whenever I visit/a cousin visits there, such as

(All made by hand with airbrushed paints.

Tales of Symphonia

SDC17810.jpg

SDC17811.jpg

Monster Hunter 3

SDC17813.jpg

SDC17814.jpg

Skyward Sword

SV200256.jpg

SV200257.jpg

Xenoblade

SV200259.jpg

SV200260.jpg

Oh and of course my N-Europe one :D

SDC17808.jpg

Those are just the more recent ones (I think I got them last year), I have more but I can't find (or don't have anymore) their pics uploaded online.

Other ones I've got include, Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Rebecca from RE: Zero, No More Heroes, Sheena from Tales of Symphonia, Fullmetal Alchemist, L from Death Note, there's a 2nd Lloyd from ToS shirt but that didn't turn out as nice so I had the above one made... I think there are a few others but I can't think of them off top of my head right now...must go look in the wardrobes later....but yeah oddly I don't have any Mario ones :(

I've also got 2 Zelda tattoos. A Triforce on my left arm and a Master Sword crossed with Ganondorfs Sword (from the GC Spaceworld Trailer which never appeared in a Zelda game but did in Smash Bros Melee :heh:)

Oh and I've got this shirt made up for me with my Youtube "M" logo

SV200277.jpg

Edited by Mokong

irgsTDW2JbQH3.gif

be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice

Aaaaaaaaah, fuck it, can't resist...

iiL0NuPO2sCbp.gif

iAsgfFswS74DK.gif

i5nQXAX8HMGwp.gif

iA2fu1bsGGNRF.gif