Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Sony also made some serious changes to their strategy that would have impacted sales. We've yet to see Nintendo make similar changes, but it's early days.

Nintendo cant do what Sony did. On a pure financial viewpoint the PS3 was a disaster which ended up costing Sony about $4 billion.

You also have to remember Sony still had all the 3rd parties backing them, whereas Nintendo have pretty much none at this point.

Thats the biggest difference. Even when the PS3 was tanking third parties never bailed. It still got all the major releases.

I know I'm late in posting here about this week, but I'm really stunned at the Wii U's Xmas performance in Japan!

For reference, Wii U did almost DOUBLE what the GCN did in its equivalent 2nd Xmas week back in 2002 (Wii U = 74,903 GCN = 44,902)

So...yeah! What a bump! :D SM3DW's legs are also like fucking tree trunks! :o It has held on fantastically well!

3DS hardware is a bit disappointing, but P&D's peformance is spectacular! Hopefully it'll encourage other JPN developers to think twice about going mobile only (and encourage them to bring their games to 3DS!)

I know I'm late in posting here about this week, but I'm really stunned at the Wii U's Xmas performance in Japan!

For reference, Wii U did almost DOUBLE what the GCN did in its equivalent 2nd Xmas week back in 2002 (Wii U = 74,903 GCN = 44,902)

So...yeah! What a bump! :D SM3DW's legs are also like fucking tree trunks! :o It has held on fantastically well!

3DS hardware is a bit disappointing, but P&D's peformance is spectacular! Hopefully it'll encourage other JPN developers to think twice about going mobile only (and encourage them to bring their games to 3DS!)

It's just a shame it'll drop down to 5k again in January

Week 51, 2013 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) 360 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

02 (02) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

03 (17) 360 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

04 (04) WII JUST DANCE 2014 (UBISOFT)

05 (11) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

06 (16) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

07 (08) PS4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

08 (05) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

09 (09) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

10 (19) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

11 (12) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)

12 (25) PS3 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

13 (10) 360 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

14 (03) 360 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

15 (15) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

16 (06) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

17 (07) PS3 GRAN TURISMO 6 (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

18 (13) XBO CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

19 (21) PS4 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

20 (20) 360 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

21 (23) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

22 (24) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)

23 (14) PS3 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

24 (22) XBO FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 (MICROSOFT)

25 (29) PS3 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

26 (34) 3DS ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF (NINTENDO)

27 (30) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 (SEGA)

28 (26) XBO BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

29 (36) PS4 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

30 (31) 3DS THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK BETWEEN WORLDS (NINTENDO)

31 (27) XBO DEAD RISING 3 (MICROSOFT)

32 (__) PS4 KNACK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

33 (32) 3DS POKEMON X (NINTENDO)

34 (33) 3DS POKEMON Y (NINTENDO)

35 (38) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

36 (39) 360 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

37 (18) 360 WWE 2K14 (TAKE 2)

38 (__) XBO RYSE: SON OF ROME (MICROSOFT)

39 (__) PS4 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

40 (35) 360 HALO 4 (MICROSOFT)

Mario gone from the top 40 and no Wii U games at all so all the bundles and offers for xmas have had very little impact with consumers here. Wii Fit U bombed.

The Tesco £5 Tearaway offer had little effect and again Vita bundles havent done much for HW sales as no Vita title in the top 40.

Just Dance Wii is crazy. The Just Dance series just wont stop selling on the wii even though its a dead platform.

The difference between PS4 and XBO versions of FIFA is interesting. Microsoft won't be happy.

But didn't they give away copies of Fifa with Xbox One? Most people who pre-ordered the console will have all ready received a copy.

I think the best thing to judge it with is the difference between COD copies sold on each platform as that's, unfortunately, still a big title. PS4 still has the lead though.

It is a shame that the 3DS isn't having a lot of chart success in the UK. In terms of their price (if you buy online) games are only about a fiver more than they would've been on DS, but handheld gaming seems to have slowed down considerably in this country, thanks to tablets/smartphones.

Out of interest, I searched for the Christmas gaming chart from five years ago. This is how it looked.

1. (3) FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)

2. (1) Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)

3. (2) Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

4. (4) Need For Speed: Undercover (Electronic Arts)

5. (5) Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)

6. (7) Wii Play (Nintendo)

7. (13) Quantum Of Solace (Activision Blizzard)

8. (New entry) Professor Layton And The Curious Village (Nintendo)

9. (10) Tomb Raider: Underworld (Eidos)

10. (8) Wii Fit (Nintendo)

It is a shame that the 3DS isn't having a lot of chart success in the UK. In terms of their price (if you buy online) games are only about a fiver more than they would've been on DS, but handheld gaming seems to have slowed down considerably in this country, thanks to tablets/smartphones.

Out of interest, I searched for the Christmas gaming chart from five years ago. This is how it looked.

1. (3) FIFA 09 (Electronic Arts)

2. (1) Call Of Duty: World At War (Activision Blizzard)

3. (2) Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

4. (4) Need For Speed: Undercover (Electronic Arts)

5. (5) Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)

6. (7) Wii Play (Nintendo)

7. (13) Quantum Of Solace (Activision Blizzard)

8. (New entry) Professor Layton And The Curious Village (Nintendo)

9. (10) Tomb Raider: Underworld (Eidos)

10. (8) Wii Fit (Nintendo)

Nintendo needs to react to market forces. Games have to come down to DS pricing if not lower. £15 - £20 for most and max £25. As it is people are buying the hardware for 1 or 2 specific games and that's it.

A big chunk of 3DS owners do not have the purchasing power. Parents do and for those parents they can get a child a tablet and fill it up with free or very cheap software which will keep the child busy.

Basically Nintendo need to make it more affordable for people to buy multiple titles. The RRP has to come down on handheld games.

But didn't they give away copies of Fifa with Xbox One? Most people who pre-ordered the console will have all ready received a copy.

I think the best thing to judge it with is the difference between COD copies sold on each platform as that's, unfortunately, still a big title. PS4 still has the lead though.

Don't copies of games in bundles count towards sales?

I've honestly no idea

yeah they do and thats how you can basically tell how Wii U hardware sales are in the gutter.

Looking at the UK top 40 a week before xmas only emphasies the point that 3DS software prices need reducing.

The 3DS attach rate must be well low. Software RRP needs to come down!

yeah they do and thats how you can basically tell how Wii U hardware sales are in the gutter.

The 3DS attach rate must be well low. Software RRP needs to come down!

No doubt. The 3DS has an amazing library for a new owner of the handheld however the pricing of the games means they are not picking up games. With the hardware sales we should see older titles re-charting but they are not. It would be great to see Nintendo do something pro-active to change this but they wont.

If software RRP for 3DS is too high, isn't software RRP for Wii/WiiU/PS3/360/Xbox One/PS4 too high too? All retail for higher prices than 3DS, yet I see few complaints about the price of console games. (other than the RRPs that the majority of the time aren't stuck to.) It's not an isolated problem.

For me, 3DS games are worth the same in value as these - they provide the same amount of entertainment (sometimes more in terms of hours of gameplay), and even are portable! I'll happily pay £30 for a 3DS game.

I don't think the price of the software is the problem. It's just that it hasn't caught the attention of the public (in this country at least) the same way as previous consoles. An extra competitor in the form of mobile gaming has been added to the mix, but why should that drive down the value of high quality handheld gaming?

Liger says a big chunk of 3DS gamers don't have the purchasing power, so games need to become cheaper. 3DS isn't just a kids' toy. Doesn't this apply to all consoles? And surely this is a moot point, with the cost of games like Skylanders actually significantly increasing the price of gaming, yet being extremely popular?

If software RRP for 3DS is too high, isn't software RRP for Wii/WiiU/PS3/360/Xbox One/PS4 too high too? All retail for higher prices than 3DS, yet I see few complaints about the price of console games. (other than the RRPs that the majority of the time aren't stuck to.) It's not an isolated problem.

For me, 3DS games are worth the same in value as these - they provide the same amount of entertainment (sometimes more in terms of hours of gameplay), and even are portable! I'll happily pay £30 for a 3DS game.

I don't think the price of the software is the problem. It's just that it hasn't caught the attention of the public (in this country at least) the same way as previous consoles. An extra competitor in the form of mobile gaming has been added to the mix, but why should that drive down the value of high quality handheld gaming?

Liger says a big chunk of 3DS gamers don't have the purchasing power, so games need to become cheaper. 3DS isn't just a kids' toy. Doesn't this apply to all consoles? And surely this is a moot point, with the cost of games like Skylanders actually significantly increasing the price of gaming, yet being extremely popular?

I dont think anybody would have a problem saying that the top 3DS games are worth same value as console games..

Thats not the argument though. Android/IOS pricing has effected the handheld market and we cant dispute that.

The prices on smartphone games means that whether we like it or not, handheld software RRP has to come down.

3DS/2DS hardware sales will probably be good for xmas season but I bet software sales are no better.

parents wont buy 3DS software at the current RRP. Either Nintendo do something or nothing will change.

Edited by khilafah

Well clearly not as those as the software sells on those consoles. Clearly consumers have no issue with console game pricing.

Thats not the argument. If the software isnt selling regardless of how good the software is then I say the price is the problem.

But the hardware sales seem healthy enough which naturally means software sales should be higher. The numbers do not lie

B0I6ePU.png

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/3ds-the-console-of-the-year/0119303 In July Nintendo said the 3DS was the #1 selling platform in the UK but as I said software sales to me indicate that the people are buying just 1 or 2 games.

Skylanders like certain other titles have a value which the consumer is prepared to pay. That doesnt mean its applicable across the board. I'm not saying the 3DS is a kids toy and your right consoles as well will have occasions with the parent being the one with the purchasing power however as we can see those buying console games see value in the cost of those titles.

I think people have an issue paying similar amounts for a handheld title at launch and are rightly or wrongly compare handheld pricing to ios/android not forgetting Nintendo 1st party titles rarely come down in price so someone today picking up a 3DS/2DS will have to pay a big amount for games released 6/12 months ago. With other platforms thats not really the case.

If reducing the software RRP isnt the answer what is?

Just want to add Vita's software RRP as well should also be included as that's not shifting much software either.

Edited by liger05