N-Europe

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

i don't get these figures. PS4 is the best selling console, but only two PS4 games in the charts and both only total 13k sales compared to 30k hardware sales. That less than 1 game per console sold, what the hell are the Japanese playing? What's the average ratio of software to hardware sales?

Those upgrading and playing FFXIV on their PS4s won't register as game sales in most cases - if you had a PS3 copy, you get a free upgrade code. There's also Plus content that gives you games too, and they won't register as game sales.

As well as that, they might be buying it ahead of the games that are scheduled to release. The PS4 has been priced well so most people know it's not likely to get much cheaper soon so are taking the plunge now.

Well look at that, the Vita isn't totally sucking ass. That's a surprise.

Yeah I'm surprised. What is selling it at the moment? Could it be a culmination of Soul Sacrifice Delta and FFX game sales? I know the latter has always been very highly regarded as one of their favourite games by the Japanese.

Those upgrading and playing FFXIV on their PS4s won't register as game sales in most cases - if you had a PS3 copy, you get a free upgrade code. There's also Plus content that gives you games too, and they won't register as game sales.

As well as that, they might be buying it ahead of the games that are scheduled to release. The PS4 has been priced well so most people know it's not likely to get much cheaper soon so are taking the plunge now.

Yeah I'm surprised. What is selling it at the moment? Could it be a culmination of Soul Sacrifice Delta and FFX game sales? I know the latter has always been very highly regarded as one of their favourite games by the Japanese.

[PS3] Dark Souls II (From Software, 03/13/14) – 255,197 (New)

[3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 37,247 (569,720)

[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca’s Wonderful Mysterious Keys (Square Enix, 02/06/14) – 18,728 (737,593)

[PSV] Soul Sacrifice Delta (SCEJ, 03/06/14) – 17,357 (66,143)

[3DS] Harvest Moon: Tsunagaru Shin Tenchi (Marvelous AQL, 02/27/14) – 15,883 (176,180)

[3DS] Kaseki Horider: Mugen Gear (Nintendo, 02/27/14) – 13,362 (93,900)

[3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/09/14) – 12,225 (501,835)

[3DS] Pokemon X and Y (Pokemon, 10/12/13) – 10,106 (3,994,938)

[PS3] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) – 10,034 (222,147)

[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two, 10/10/13) – 7,910 (736,810)

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment, 12/12/13) – 7,755 (1,407,075)

[PS4] Battlefield 4 (EA, 02/22/14) – 7,539 (55,286)

[PS3] Ar no Surge (Gust, 03/06/14) – 6,751 (33,7870

[360] Dark Souls II (From Software, 03/13/14) – 5,950 (New)

[PS4] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) – 5,451 (119,722)

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom, 09/14/13) – 5,132 (3,239,571)

[Wii U] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo, 02/13/14) – 5,117 (72,401)

[3DS] Doraemon: New Nobita’s Great Demon—Peko and the Exploration Party of Five (FuRyu, 03/06/14) – 4,813 (9,665)

[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (11/08/12) – 4,759 (3,692,937)

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. Full Boost (Namco Bandai, 01/30/14) – 4,395 (338,323)

Not sure but the PSV software isnt selling too hot. There is only one game in the top 20 and even that hasnt sold that well.

DK sales are poor. Will struggle to get to 100k

Good to see the PS4 and Vita sales doing pretty well, 3DS is still managing more than I thought it would as I've said before how I think it may have all ready peaked in Japan. The question is, what is there to do about it? A premium, micro model would be my guess to get things ramping up again, but maybe the consumers are now flocking to the Vita now that the library has built up?

I think none of us were expecting the Wii U to be doing any good for a while so I'm not surprised at the figures. Like many had speculated in the Nintendo Board, a decent game, but not the one the Wii U really needed.

you keep saying this and maybe you're right, but I can't believe people would go and buy a console just to have it sitting there while they wait for the game they want to be released or to play free downloads. It's like buying a car when you're 16. Seriously nobody buys anything in anticipation. My tv might break down in a year but I don't buy a replacement now.

In contract Wii U sold 7k units and DK sold 7K units. That makes sense, you buy a console and buy a game to play on it. Those PS4 numbers are just bizarre.

you keep saying this and maybe you're right, but I can't believe people would go and buy a console just to have it sitting there while they wait for the game they want to be released or to play free downloads.

You're kidding, right? You have had a Wii U for a while; I'm sure you know exactly how it feels.

Also saying 'nobody buys anything in anticipation' is pretty silly. People who plan ahead and don't just live solely in the moment do, which seems to be pretty much most people apart from you.

Edited by Sheikah

you keep saying this and maybe you're right, but I can't believe people would go and buy a console just to have it sitting there while they wait for the game they want to be released or to play free downloads. It's like buying a car when you're 16. Seriously nobody buys anything in anticipation. My tv might break down in a year but I don't buy a replacement now.

In contract Wii U sold 7k units and DK sold 7K units. That makes sense, you buy a console and buy a game to play on it. Those PS4 numbers are just bizarre.

Surely your latter arguement on a TV is more like buying two cars when you're 16, in case one breaks down? No one does that.

People DO buy cars before they can drive though, I've known a few people who have.

*I* bought a TV for when I moved out, well before I moved out - because I could still use it in the interim.

*I* bought a 360 solely for Fable - I bought it before Fable was actually out and had no games for it(I then purchased Castle Crashers to keep me entertained after I couldn't hack any more Hexic).

*I* bought a Wii U even though I didn't particularly want/need it - I bought it mostly for X and Smash Bros, but I've gotten other play out of it in the interim(I actually lent it out for the first month I 'owned' it, because I wasn't using it).

So seriously - yes, people do buy things in anticipation. Myself, at least, but I also know many others who have too. My friend bought a 2nd hand 3DS with no games - it was mostly just because it was a Zelda one, though she still got it with nothing.

So imagine buying something in anticipation(possibly due to a good price, or a stock worry, etc) AND being able to play free games on it in the meantime - I can certainly see it happening. If you've got a game you already own love and paid for and are offered a free upgrade to play it on the new system? Definitely see it happening.

you're getting away from the point. What is the average attach rate for a console launch, I'm hazarding a guess of 2:1. Those figure are 0.5:1

I can't believe that anybody can thing it's normal that 15,000 Japanese bought a console and no game to play on it.

You're kidding, right? You have had a Wii U for a while; I'm sure you know exactly how it feels.

I can honestly say I've got far more games in the first year of Wii U (20+) than I have had for any other console ever.

you're getting away from the point. What is the average attach rate for a console launch, I'm hazarding a guess of 2:1. Those figure are 0.5:1

Who cares? Launch games are usually crap. You don't buy a console just for the launch games. Wii U certainly had nothing amazing in its launch either. When did you buy your Wii U, out of interest?

I can honestly say I've got far more games in the first year of Wii U (20+) than I have had for any other console ever.

That's only because you have consciously ignored the other consoles. By your own confession, you have picked up remakes of games that have been out for a while on other systems. And if you liked those games, you'd have liked more on the others systems too.

You know, it's a good idea to broaden your horizons and try something new once in a while.

Who cares? Launch games are usually crap. You don't buy a console just for the launch games. Wii U certainly had nothing amazing in its launch either. When did you buy your Wii U, out of interest?

That's only because you have consciously ignored the other consoles. By your own confession, you have picked up remakes of games that have been out for a while on other systems. And if you liked those games, you'd have liked more on the others systems too.

You know, it's a good idea to broaden your horizons and try something new once in a while.

what a surprise, you've turned a topic about attachment rates into a bitch at Nintendo.

I had a 360 last gen.

To clarify:

Zombie U/Lego City/Mario 3D/New Super Mario/Pikmin 3/Wonderfull 101/Wii Sports Club/Nintendo Land/Wii Party U. All Wii U exclusive

Black Ops II/Ghosts/ACIV/Fifa 13/Injustice/Sonic All Stars Racing/Tank,Tank,Tank. Cross platform

Need for Speed Most Wanted/Batman Arkham City/Darksiders II/Tekken Tag Tournament. Remakes as you put it, but these are still cross platform. Just because a game comes out later does not make it a remake, the Wii U was not even released when these games came out.

He's not criticising the PS4. He's wondering how it's possible for the attach-rate to be 0.5:1.

It's not about the quality of the games, it's about the fact of the attach rate. And I'd hazzard a guess, that Knack being free (I think it's still free), along with that weird Japanese dance game, and Plus and everything else digital not counting toward sales - on top of MGS coming out - that that is the reason the attach rate is so low.

Edited by Daft

Yeah, it was more the 'why on Earth would you buy in anticipation?' stance that threw me. It seems like a pretty normal thing to me to buy a console not based on launch fodder but on what's coming.

Also I thought Knack bundled with the console still counted as a sale.

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah, it was more the 'why on Earth would you buy in anticipation?' stance that threw me. It seems like a pretty normal thing to me to buy a console not based on launch fodder but on what's coming.

Also I thought Knack bundled with the console still counted as a sale.

It was only the first batch where it did.

inFAMOUS: Second UK Sales Charts; Metal Gear Solid V PS4 Sells Three Times as Much as Xbox One

inFAMOUS: Second Son launched last Friday, and predictably enough it came up on top of last week’s sales charts for the US, released today by GFK Chart-Track. Second Ranker is Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, that sold almost three times as many copies on PS4 than on Xbox One. Titanfall holds strong at number three, but loses 73% in sales since last week.

inFAMOUS: Second Son earns the second strongest launch of a PS4 title following Killzone: Shadow Fall, and is the first game of the franchise to launch at the top spot in the British market.

I would think EA are pretty disappointed by that drop.

Congrats to Infamous and MGS:GZ. Both absolutely fantastic games.

Woah, that's a huge drop for TitanFall. Doesn't it launch on 360 this week too? It's lost a lot of momentum but then again so has the Xbox One.

Great to see Infamous and Metal Gear selling well.

Nah, it got put back till April now. It still baffles me that they got it exclusive yet a 360 version is on its way. It essentially kills the need to pick up a One.

Great to see FFX on the Vita break into the top 10.

Nah, it got put back till April now. It still baffles me that they got it exclusive yet a 360 version is on its way. It essentially kills the need to pick up a One.

Respawn has suggested that they could port it to Mac if they wanted do (they are in talks with Aspyr Media, who do a lot of Mac ports).

There was no exclusivity agreement. It was a "don't release it on PlayStation" agreement.

Great to see FFX on the Vita break into the top 10.

Yeah, very impressive for a remake of a 12 year old game (well, 2 remakes). Such great games though, they really do deserve it.

Sony timed their new shipment of PS4s to the UK perfectly.

It was also £15 off for the PS4 + Infamous bundle on Amazon (which I got). It didn't even need the saving tbh, but I'm sure it helped even more.

It's frustrating Microsoft and EA are being coy about the sales of TitanFall. It's all very well hearing that there's been a 73% drop off, but what's that figure in relation to?!

Sony bossing it with PS4, well done them! Although slightly surprised actually that MGS sold more on the One than PS3.

• 2 weeks later...