NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Do we have an idea as to how much these results can get Sony out of the general financial malaise of the company?

(Which was mostly reported as a thing a few years back)

Looking at the Sony Report (page 23) it says:

Game & Network Services (million yen)

Hardware - 721,829

Network - 529,318

Other - 228,628

Hardware includes home and portable game consoles; Network includes network services relating to game, video and music content provided by Sony[...]; Other includes packaged software and peripheral devices

So I assume what this means is Network covers PSN subscriptions and any Sony makes as a platform provider through PSN (i.e. they get a cut of each sale). I wonder where first party games they sell through PSN comes - Network (along with 3rd party) or Other?

Still, impressive figures.

Do we have an idea as to how much these results can get Sony out of the general financial malaise of the company?

(Which was mostly reported as a thing a few years back)

According to here: http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-posts-13-billion-profit-for-fy-2015-as-playstation-4-sales-soar-to-177-million

The company has swung back to profitability, posting a $1.3 billion profit, with substantial sales increases for the PlayStation 4.

According to its financial report Sony had a pretty good year, though some of its divisions did better than others. Overall the company saw its year-over-year operating income go up to $2.6 billion, even though its revenue was down 1.3%.

Looking at their financial report they've made money on selling off assets and shares which has helped them get back into a better position.

Edited by Ashley

Ratchet still holding on strong in the individual charts. Loving it that the pair have taken the spotlight again. Star Fox now out of the top 40 ( didn't last long ) and Yo-Kai Watch dropping fast. It will be interesting to see how Yo-Kai Watch performs in the US.

01 (01) PS4 RATCHET & CLANK (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

02 (03) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

03 (NE) PS4 BATTLEBORN (TAKE 2)

04 (NE) XBO BATTLEBORN (TAKE 2)

05 (07) XBO CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

06 (02) PS4 DARK SOULS III (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)

07 (19) PS4 FAR CRY PRIMAL (UBISOFT)

08 (06) PS4 TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION (UBISOFT)

09 (04) PS4 EA SPORTS UFC 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

10 (05) XBO TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION (UBISOFT)

11 (15) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

12 (20) XBO FAR CRY PRIMAL (UBISOFT)

13 (23) XBO HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT)

14 (27) XBO GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)

15 (__) PS4 UNCHARTED: THE NATHAN DRAKE COLLECTION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

16 (12) XBO FORZA MOTORSPORT 6 (MICROSOFT)

17 (08) 3DS YO-KAI WATCH (NINTENDO)

18 (13) XBO QUANTUM BREAK (MICROSOFT)

19 (09) XBO DARK SOULS III (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)

20 (10) XBO EA SPORTS UFC 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

21 (22) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

22 (26) XBO PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE 2 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

23 (11) PS4 UEFA EURO 2016 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER (KONAMI)

24 (24) XBO FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

25 (33) 360 LEGO MARVEL AVENGERS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

26 (14) PS4 DIRT RALLY (CODEMASTERS)

27 (17) XBO ZOO TYCOON (MICROSOFT)

28 (18) XBO KINECT SPORTS: RIVALS (MICROSOFT)

29 (28) XBO STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

30 (30) PC FOOTBALL MANAGER 2016 (SEGA)

31 (29) XBO MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION (MICROSOFT)

32 (__) PS4 THE WITCHER III: WILD HUNT (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)

33 (32) PS4 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

34 (34) PS4 LEGO MARVEL AVENGERS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

35 (21) PS4 STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

36 (36) 360 LEGO JURASSIC WORLD (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

37 (__) XBO RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)

38 (40) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX EDITION (MICROSOFT)

39 (25) PS4 UNTIL DAWN (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)

40 (37) PS4 DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

Ratchet still holding on strong in the individual charts. Loving it that the pair have taken the spotlight again. Star Fox now out of the top 40 ( didn't last long ) and Yo-Kai Watch dropping fast. It will be interesting to see how Yo-Kai Watch performs in the US.

I did have a bit of a problem figuring what to write for this week's news report about the charts :heh:

Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that PlayStation®4 (PS4™) has cumulatively sold through more than 40 million units to consumers worldwide as of May 22, 2016, continuing to demonstrate the fastest-selling console in PlayStation® history. By offering users a vast array of exciting software titles from 3rd party developers and publishers as well as from SIE Worldwide Studios (SIE WWS), PS4 software sales also remain strong, with more than 270.9 million copies*2 sold in retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of May 22, 2016.

Source

Holy shit, that is impressive. And absolutely deserved. : peace:

Source

Holy shit, that is impressive. And absolutely deserved. : peace:

Pretty damn mad. 10 million sales within the past 6 months.

Just to put that in perspective...12.8 million Wii Us sold in 3.5 years.

The NPD sales for May are out and it's not looking pretty for Nintendo. The Wii U has sold apparently less than 28,000 units, making this the worst month ever.

With little to no software coming out for the console, the rest of the year is going to be brutal for them in terms of their home console sales.

On a more positive note, the 3DS has now sold 60 million units worldwide.

CkjGh2vWgAA_wBq.jpg:large

The top 10 games in the US for the month were as follows.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)

Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)

Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)

Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)

Edited by Hero-of-Time

The NPD sales for May are out and it's not looking pretty for Nintendo. The Wii U has sold apparently less than 28,00 units, making this the worst month ever.

With little to no software coming out for the console, the rest of the year is going to be brutal for them in terms of their home console sales.

On a more positive note, the 3DS has now sold 60 million units worldwide.

The top 10 games in the US for the month were as follows.

Is that 28,000, or 2,800? Or 28? I can't see the image you posted, so I'm not sure...

Is that 28,000, or 2,800? Or 28? I can't see the image you posted, so I'm not sure...

Whoops. Yeah, it's 28,000. :D

TBH, it's not been a good month for any of the three hardware guys really. Xbone is just barely hovering over the 100k mark and PS4 just barely above 200k, pretty poor for a market leader...

The rumours about Neo/Scorpio probably aren't helping either. It's in their interest to get them out quickly in order to stop people waiting on buying...

TBH, it's not been a good month for any of the three hardware guys really. Xbone is just barely hovering over the 100k mark and PS4 just barely above 200k, pretty poor for a market leader...

Still a hell of a lot better than 28,000 though. :D

The rumours about Neo/Scorpio probably aren't helping either. It's in their interest to get them out quickly in order to stop people waiting on buying...

I'm wondering if Sony will even mention the Neo E3. Announcing it now for the rumoured Sept/Oct release could lead to a rough Summer for the console. Far better to officially announce it at Gamescom, unless the console is further along than most are expecting.

I'm wondering if Sony will even mention the Neo E3. Announcing it now for the rumoured Sept/Oct release could lead to a rough Summer for the console. Far better to officially announce it at Gamescom, unless the console is further along than most are expecting.

If it's coming out this year, it'll be shown here. No way would they leave a shorter window of hype than that. Retailers have to be briefed, developers need to be given info and their games/hardware needs to be hyped up in time for an October/November launch. It's only like 4-5 months left to go now, it's time!

MS is a big ???? though. From the sounds of things, they're not ready yet, but rumours are mounting fast and it's really not gonna help them, especially after Sony lift the lid on Neo. They may be forced to talk early, but they're between a rock and a hard place either way...

If it's coming out this year, it'll be shown here. No way would they leave a shorter window of hype than that. Retailers have to be briefed, developers need to be given info and their games need to be hyped up in time for an October/November launch.

MS is a big ???? though. From the sounds of things, they're not ready yet, but rumours are mounting fast and it's really not gonna help them, especially after Sony lift the lid on Neo. They may be forced to talk early, but they're between a rock and a hard place either way...

Microsoft may just go with the rumoured Slim model announcement and then hold Scorpio until later in the year. As you said though, they are in a very sticky position as they aren't market leader and are being outsold 2:1 by their main competitor.

TBH, unless this Neo move goes horribly wrong for Sony ( always a possibility ) then Microsoft are never going to catch up with Sony this generation. Far better to play to their own tune and get ready for their next console/upgrade in their own time, rather than worrying what Sony are doing.

Mass market doesn't care about Nero/Scorpio. It's a non-issue. The people are interested already own the OG consoles.

200,000 is pretty good given the time of year. It's bloody hot over there at the moment so not too surprising. I imagine that a PS4 Slim will inject some extra life should it get announced at E3.

Microsoft may just go with the rumoured Slim model announcement and then hold Scorpio until later in the year. As you said though, they are in a very sticky position as they aren't market leader and are being outsold 2:1 by their main competitor.

True. They could announce the Slim and the Oculus Rift initiative and leave details about Scorpio until early next year... I'm not sure if that's a good idea though...

TBH, unless this Neo move goes horribly wrong for Sony ( always a possibility ) then Microsoft are never going to catch up with Sony this generation. Far better to play to their own tune and get ready for their next console/upgrade in their own time, rather than worrying what Sony are doing.

I dunno about that... MS' tune is pretty much the same as Sony's and allowing them to run away with the narrative of having upgraded hardware is a risky move. If they announce some details about Scorpio early, (i.e, it's gonna be more powerful than Neo. It's next gen hardware, not a .5 step etc), it might scupper their plans a bit, even if it's coming late.

I suppose it depends on just how far behind they actually are. If it's a no show at E3, then I suppose we know that it's not coming out till probably late next year :p

Mass market doesn't care about Nero/Scorpio. It's a non-issue. The people are interested already own the OG consoles.

200,000 is pretty good given the time of year. It's bloody hot over there at the moment so not too surprising. I imagine that a PS4 Slim will inject some extra life should it get announced at E3.

200K in the month where Sony released their biggest exclusive of the year, with one of the biggest marketing campaigns they've ever had? I don't think that's a good result at all, and the fact that Sony aren't bragging about it speaks volumes...

Edited by Dcubed

200K in the month where Sony released their biggest exclusive of the year, with one of the biggest marketing campaigns they've ever had? I don't think that's a good result at all, and the fact that Sony aren't bragging about it speaks volumes...

They've been quiet about the NPD sales for the past couple of months now. It always annoys me when companies don't just dish the numbers. It's usually just left to insiders and other people to try and figure out what sold what.

I dunno about that... MS' tune is pretty much the same as Sony's and allowing them to run away with the narrative of having upgraded hardware is a risky move. If they announce some details about Scorpio early, (i.e, it's gonna be more powerful than Neo. It's next gen hardware, not a .5 step etc), it might scupper their plans a bit, even if it's coming late.

That could be their ace in the hole, especially if the Neo announcement goes tits up. I personally have no issue with Neo but there are many who do and if Microsoft were to go in the other direction and just continue as normal with a true successor, then they could gain a lot of positive reactions from certain gamers.

True. They could announce the Slim and the Oculus Rift initiative and leave details about Scorpio until early next year... I'm not sure if that's a good idea though...

I suppose it depends on just how far behind they actually are. If it's a no show at E3, then I suppose we know that it's not coming out till probably late next year :p

Ah yes, I forgot about Uncharted! I was under the impression that the game sold really well though? Like around 2M?

It's not the type of game that will sell additional hardware because most people that would be interested in it already own a system. Worth keeping an eye on though :)

If it's coming out this year, it'll be shown here. No way would they leave a shorter window of hype than that. Retailers have to be briefed, developers need to be given info and their games/hardware needs to be hyped up in time for an October/November launch. It's only like 4-5 months left to go now, it's time!

Andrew House just announced this.

Andrew House, president and global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, told the Financial Times that the “high-end PS4” would be more expensive than the current $350 version.

“It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” he said. “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

The new console, which is codenamed “Neo”, will target hardcore gamers, he said, as well as consumers with a 4K television set looking for more high-resolution content.

However, in a move that may disappoint some fans, Mr House said that Sony would not be unveiling its new console next week and refused to say when or at what price the unit would go on sale. “We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,” he said.

If he ain't lying then it looks like I called it right and Gamescom or another event such as Paris games week will be used for the unveiling.