NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Software:

[3DS] Monster Hunter X (Capcom, 11/27/15) – 192,203 (2,013,048)

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad (Level-5, 07/11/15) – 52,878 (1,851,500)

[Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 51,138 (912,335)

[Wii U] Super Mario Maker (Nintendo, 09/10/15) – 48,600 (491,188)

[PSV] Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni (Marvelous, 12/10/15) – 39,013 (New)

[PSV] Steins;Gate 0 (5pb., 12/10/15) – 38,746 (New)

[PS4] Steins;Gate 0 (5pb., 12/10/15) – 38,156 (New)

[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (Nintendo, 12/03/15) – 32,580 (81,847)

[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (Nintendo, 07/30/15) – 27,669 (1,175,208)

[PS4] Gravity Rush Remastered (SCE, 12/10/15) – 25,004 (New)

[PS4] Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft, 12/10/15) – 23,402 (New)

[PSV] The Idolmaster: Must Songs Red Board / Blue Board (Bandai Namco, 12/10/15) – 23,349 (New)

[3DS] Disney Magical World 2 (Bandai Namco, 10/05/15) – 21,553 (152,533)

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SCE, 03/19/15) – 17,643 (442,010)

[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC Evolution (Falcom, 12/10/15) – 15,202 (New)

[3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ (Nintendo, 06/11/15) – 14,232 (524,053)

[3DS] Sumikko Gurashi Omise Hajimerun Desu (Nippon Columbia, 11/19/15) – 12,506 (41,953)

[PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III (SCE, 11/06/15) – 8,840 (240,340)

[PS3] Steins;Gate 0 (5pb., 12/10/15) – 8,645 (New)

[PS4] Star Wars Battlefront (EA, 11/19/15) – 8,368 (160,104)

Hardware:

New 3DS LL – 81,294 (76,779)

Wii U – 47,890 (32,604)

PlayStation 4 – 38,497 (35,782)

PlayStation Vita – 35,116 (21,860)

New 3DS – 19,454 (17,202)

3DS – 8,549 (7,915)

3DS LL – 3,531 (1,113)

PlayStation 3 – 2,434 (1,916)

PlayStation Vita TV – 793 (646)

Xbox One – 609 (289)

Splatoon is selling even more than before, SMM also, NEW 3DS (and the whole DS family increased numbers), but Wii U is really surprising.

They have sold over 100K more already, compared to last year (Wii U), Splatoon really did the job.

Splatoon is a true system seller. Amazing title for Nintendo.

The sequel should be a smash on the NX

The sequel should be a smash on the NX

When it'll be released at the end of the NX's life span :laughing:

What are the numbers in the brackets? Are they totals? If so, I thought Battlefront would have done better than that...

What are the numbers in the brackets? Are they totals? If so, I thought Battlefront would have done better than that...

I think thats just last weeks sales numbers

I think thats just last weeks sales numbers

Last week's sales for hardware, but LTD for software if I understand correctly. Surely Splatoon can't have sold 900k just last week :p?

On which note that's a closer figure to the 900k mark than the million, and I thought I'd seen someone post somewhere saying it's been said to pass a million sales in japan - so wondering if it might be that the reports included digital sales somehow...

EDIT:^think they're only Japan sales btw that Kounan posted

Ah yes. I saw the 2 million sold for Monster Hunter and assumed it must be total to date. But them being Japan's numbers does explain the Battlefront situation as well.

Last week's sales for hardware, but LTD for software if I understand correctly. Surely Splatoon can't have sold 900k just last week :p?

On which note that's a closer figure to the 900k mark than the million, and I thought I'd seen someone post somewhere saying it's been said to pass a million sales in japan - so wondering if it might be that the reports included digital sales somehow...

EDIT:^think they're only Japan sales btw that Kounan posted

Yes, retail plus digital over million in Japan (yes, it is only Japan in my post above).

Nintendo went into full beast mode in Japan this week, selling 80k Wii U and 148k 3DS machines. Great numbers, considering the state of the market.

Splatoon has really helped the Wii U over there. Nintendo should be scrambling to get the sequel ready for the NX!

3DS hits 20 mil in Japan. Very impressive!!! Still very much a market for a dedicated handheld in Japan.

SMT vs FE only sold 23k opening week. Bomba!!! I did think back when it was announced that a making it a 3DS game would of been the better decision.

Nintendo has a huge problem with RPG's on home consoles. They gave the market to Sony and not sure how they get that audience back.

3DS hits 20 mil in Japan. Very impressive!!! Still very much a market for a dedicated handheld in Japan.

SMT vs FE only sold 23k opening week. Bomba!!! I did think back when it was announced that a making it a 3DS game would of been the better decision.

Nintendo has a huge problem with RPG's on home consoles. They gave the market to Sony and not sure how they get that audience back.

Wii U sold over 100k in that week as well, absolutely bonkers!

Sony have just announced that as of 3rd Jan 2016 the PS4 has now sold 35.9 million units.

At the end of November it had sold just over 30 million and month later nearly 6 million have been added to that total. It's insane!

Just read the news.

Holy shit. Impressive. Very impressive.

And well-deserved.

Will be interesting to see if the sales continue to be so strong in 2016. Can't wait for Uncharted 4 and PS4 sales then :D

Sony have just announced that as of 3rd Jan 2016 the PS4 has now sold 35.9 million units.

At the end of November it had sold just over 30 million and month later nearly 6 million have been added to that total. It's insane!

tumblr_mhuy5furLo1s5o3aso2_400.gif

It's actually pretty funny. It's great as it sends such a strong message that console gaming is booming - can only help bring more exciting games to the console.

Mildly annoyed they couldn't just wait to announce 36 million sold.

Sales charts; Week Ending January 9th

All Formats

ywKQnN1.png

Individual Formats

xXi0Gpt.png

Top 50 3DS

rXtnmYw.png

Top 20 Wii U

820mG5A.png

Between this place and Twitter I still see Nintendo as relevent as in the Wii days so it's weird to step out of my bubble once in a while and see things like this - Not a single title in the top 40, that's terrible. I knew the Wii U was damaging but it's crazy to think just how irrelevent it has made Nintendo in the West. It's gonna take a hell of a lot for them to make a comeback. A whole generation of kids are growing up on Minecraft and Fifa and seeing Mario as nothing more than some icon from the past like a Nokia phone or Gameboy. Thank god for amiibo, they at least ensure Nintendo still have some exposure in stores.

Between this place and Twitter I still see Nintendo as relevent as in the Wii days so it's weird to step out of my bubble once in a while and see things like this - Not a single title in the top 40, that's terrible. I knew the Wii U was damaging but it's crazy to think just how irrelevent it has made Nintendo in the West. It's gonna take a hell of a lot for them to make a comeback. A whole generation of kids are growing up on Minecraft and Fifa and seeing Mario as nothing more than some icon from the past like a Nokia phone or Gameboy. Thank god for amiibo, they at least ensure Nintendo still have some exposure in stores.

Yeah, it's nuts how much of the market they have lost this generation. The mindshare issue you mention is also a massive problem.

It's not just the UK that have given up on them, the US charts aren't exactly filled with Nintendo titles either.

December:

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)

Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Madden NFL 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

NBA 2K16 (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft | Xbox One, PS4, PC)

Minecraft (Microsoft | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)

Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (Microsoft/TellTale | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)

FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Full Year:

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Madden NFL 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)

Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)

NBA 2K16 (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Minecraft (Microsoft | 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)

FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Mortal Kombat X (Warner Bros | PS4, Xbox One)

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Just look at the biggest sellers on that list. All of these are 3rd party games. ALL OF THEM. Anyone who says that 3rd parties aren't needed or don't matter are crazy. It's 3rd parties that are driving console sales and not the exclusive titles. If Nintendo don't get them back on board for the NX it could be another rough generation for them.

Things look slightly better in Japan for them. They had a good holiday season but the sales are starting to drop rapidly back to what they were before the spike. Splatoon has been a godsend over there. Had that not arrived or taken off then I shudder to think of the numbers the Wii U would be doing.

Yeah, it's nuts how much of the market they have lost this generation. The mindshare issue you mention is also a massive problem.

It's not just the UK that have given up on them, the US charts aren't exactly filled with Nintendo titles either.

Just look at the biggest sellers on that list. All of these are 3rd party games. ALL OF THEM. Anyone who says that 3rd parties aren't needed or don't matter are crazy. It's 3rd parties that are driving console sales and not the exclusive titles. If Nintendo don't get them back on board for the NX it could be another rough generation for them.

Things look slightly better in Japan for them. They had a good holiday season but the sales are starting to drop rapidly back to what they were before the spike. Splatoon has been a godsend over there. Had that not arrived or taken off then I shudder to think of the numbers the Wii U would be doing.

The thing is with technology things can change when a product is hot. The issue with Nintendo is whether they know what you that product is? They really lost the plot with the Wii U and it's hurt them more they can of ever imagined.

By hook or crook they need to get third parties on board

Edited by liger05

Of course they need 3rd parties to be "big", but to be profitable they can manage without them, if the really manage to make it easier to port games between handheld and the home console (or to be able to use the same engines, or what ever the plan is), so that they can produce more games for both of their systems. If there are enough games coming quickly enough then even if they can't get some titles shouldn't be a huge problem.

They have many first party titles which can make them a lot of money and they get most of the money from the sales of these games.

But they need a really strong library at the start of the consoles and I mean games like Zelda, Metroid (games a lot of people would probably buy, but who would not buy the consoles for Mario & Co.) some exclusive, plus of course Mario & Co. games, Splatoon date, Xenoblade and other of their big titles, maybe even some new IP's announcement (I think they really f*cked it up with Devil's Third as it could have been used as a new IP and type of game they miss) so that people buy the console in the beginning (I am quite sure a lot of people would buy a console if new Zelda is on it and if it looks good). If they manage that even if third parties leave them later on, they should still make enough profit (especially now with amiibos, mobile games, handheld.....). I mean, they are profitable even now.

But of course, most people want third parties and it would only help.

It took a while but they managed to become profitable this generation without 3rd parties. The thing is, is it enough? Investors/shareholders aren't going to be happy with just scraping by, they want to see growth. Nintendo have an obligation to keep these people happy.

I suppose if their other ventures take off ( mobile, QoL, licensing products ) then the third party problem won't be much of an issue as they will be getting their income and growth from other areas.

It took a while but they managed to become profitable this generation without 3rd parties. The thing is, is it enough? Investors/shareholders aren't going to be happy with just scraping by, they want to see growth. Nintendo have an obligation to keep these people happy.

I suppose if their other ventures take off ( mobile, QoL, licensing products ) then the third party problem won't be much of an issue as they will be getting their income and growth from other areas.

It's a shame that if the other stuff do take off Nintendo and its investors may not care that they have little or no third party support.

Why is it a shame when they will still be making a profit?

It's because the Nintendo only gamer will get screwed again.

Sales charts; Week Ending January 16th

All Formats

2LJlGa0.png

Individual Formats

BTJCP3c.png

Top 50 3DS

2610oQp.png

Top 20 Wii U

tRiHOre.png

Sales charts; Week Ending January 16th

All Formats

2LJlGa0.png

Individual Formats

BTJCP3c.png

Top 50 3DS

2610oQp.png

Top 20 Wii U

tRiHOre.png

The UK is going to be the hardest nut to crack for the NX. It's grim here for Nintendo right now