NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

I'm not sure how I feel seeing which of Nintendo's Wii U games are actually sitting higher up in the charts :/

August NPD:

All numbers from aquamarine

XBO - 274.8k

PS4 - 160.0k

3DS < 149.0k

WIU - 22.8k

Madden - 933k

NMS - 508k

Black Ops III - 197k ( 61k withouth bundle)

GTA V - 154k

Deus Ex - 120k

Xbox Slim doing the work. Such a sexy looking console.

Good 3DS sales for a near 6 year old platform.

NMS September will be interesting. See if all the mixed reviews causes a major drop off.

Jeff Grubb says the 2TB $400 xb1 slim was #2 SKU for the month.

Also consumers spent $6 mil more on 3DS than in Aug 2015.

Deus Ex bombed in the UK and US

Metroid Prime: Federation Force Sent out to die. Good job Nintendo

GTA V sales month on month really are ridiculous.

If a $400 xb1 slim can shift units isn't that a good sign for a possible $400 Scorpio? Shows there is a market ready to pay premium price for premium product.

Edited by liger05

If a $400 xb1 slim can shift units isn't that a good sign for a possible $400 Scorpio? Shows there is a market ready to pay premium price for premium product.

I can't see the Scorpio being $400, especially if that's what the Slim is costing over there. The innards of the Scorpio, at least what they said about it at E3, are apparently very expensive. It's gonna cost a lot to make it the beast they want it to be.

Great numbers for the Slim, though. It's certainly given the One a shot in the arm. It's going to be interesting to see if the Gears of War series still has any pulling power when it's released in October.

GTAV is a beast. Rockstar are laughing all the way to the bank with that game. I mean, they are selling retail versions at near enough full price and at the same getting people invested into GTA Online and having they pay for microtransactions within in that. It's no wonder why they are in no hurry to release their next game.

I can't see the Scorpio being $400, especially if that's what the Slim is costing over there. The innards of the Scorpio, at least what they said about it at E3, are apparently very expensive. It's gonna cost a lot to make it the beast they want it to be.

Great numbers for the Slim, though. It's certainly given the One a shot in the arm. It's going to be interesting to see if the Gears of War series still has any pulling power when it's released in October.

GTAV is a beast. Rockstar are laughing all the way to the bank with that game. I mean, they are selling retail versions at near enough full price and at the same getting people invested into GTA Online and having they pay for microtransactions within in that. It's no wonder why they are in no hurry to release their next game.

I think MS decided to wait until September as the costs of parts would of came down in 2017. I don't think they will go higher than $450.

“Thanks to our fans, Xbox One was the best-selling console in September in the U.S. for the third month in a row according to NPD Group as well as the best-selling console in September in the U.K. according to GfK Entertainment UK. In addition, Xbox One was the only gen eight console to see year-over-year growth in September in the U.S., Australia, the U.K., and many other countries worldwide. This success was driven by our fans and their support for Xbox One S, which is the only console available this holiday with built-in UHD 4K Blu-ray, 4K video streaming and HDR for gaming and video. We received an incredible response to Forza Horizon 3, the No. 1 first-party title for September in the U.S., Australia, and U.K. according to NPD Group and GfK Entertainment UK. Global engagement on Xbox Live – the fastest, most reliable gaming network – continues to grow and the number of unique multiplayer users increased 57 percent year-over-year.”

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/13/xb...-in-september

The success wasn't driven by fans but more to do with the big price cut, at least in the UK. :D Still, it's impressive that it still outsold the PS4 in the UK as that had a hefty discount as well, unless those sales are part of next months numbers. There's still a lot of ground to be made up but if Microsoft can keep it up and keep things positive they could be in a great position for when the Scorpio launches.

The success wasn't driven by fans but more to do with the big price cut, at least in the UK. :D Still, it's impressive that it still outsold the PS4 in the UK as that had a hefty discount as well, unless those sales are part of next months numbers. There's still a lot of ground to be made up but if Microsoft can keep it up and keep things positive they could be in a great position for when the Scorpio launches.

I think the Xbox one S is doing the work. Aesthetically it's a fantastic looking console. Very well designed and its the Xbox people were waiting for. Add in a UHD blue ray player and you have a winner.

Edited by liger05

Dude ain't wrong. I truly believe that some outlets do things like that with high profile games. From the looks and sounds of it though, ReCore did deserve the low scores that it received.

I just think he comes off as pathetic. Im sure that some sites do score lower/higher but not any that actually matter and I doubt he was talking about the smaller sites.

I think the Xbox one S is doing the work. Aesthetically it's a fantastic looking console. Very well designed and its the Xbox people were waiting for. Add in a UHD blue ray player and you have a winner.

Yeah, the thing does look lovely. Shame the UI is still a piece of junk and the way the game installs and downloads games and updates needs a MASSIVE overhaul.

I just think he comes off as pathetic. Im sure that some sites do score lower/higher but not any that actually matter and I doubt he was talking about the smaller sites.

I like the guy. Certainly one of the better PR people out of the big 3. He's done well to turn the ship around, especially after the mess Mattrick left him in.

So Nintendo's latest financial results for the last quarter are out now...

Mario Kart 8 has now, hilariously enough, hit the 8 million mark. It's almost poetic really (and once again I'm taking the opportunity to point and laugh at Polygon here for their absurd pre-release sales prediction :laughing: )

And Pokemon X/Y has finally done the impossible and outsold Pokemon Black/White! With 15.64 million sales under its belt, it is no longer the worst selling game in the mainline series! Hooray! (poor Gen 5 deserved so much more...) I honestly didn't think it would ever happen; Pokemon Go really did have a huge impact here.

Speaking of Pokemon Go, it's not listed on Nintendo's balance sheets, but they mentioned that they earned 12 billion yen (around $115 million) from all entities accounted for using equity method (these are all of Nintendo's outside affiliated companies, including TPC). As it was only 1.5 billion yen for the previous 6 months, we can clearly see that the grand majority (probably around 10-11 billion yen) comes from their share of the Pokemon Go takings. Not a bad chunk of change really!

Luigi's Mansion 2 has hit the absurd 5 million mark (no really, what a ridiculous success!) and it looks like Splatoon (4.57 million) is gonna end up catching and even surpassing Smash Bros Wii U (Which is now at 4.9 million; sure to crack 5 million when all is said and done); who the hell saw that coming!?

Also Mario Party 10 is almost at 2 million (currently at 1.94 million), not bad at all!

Kirby Planet Robobot cracked 1 million this quarter (1.08 million), but sadly it seems that the European version of Fire Emblem Fates failed to capture the success it found throughout the rest of the world as it is absent from the report (that extra 5 month wait we had to endure really did a number on it; what a huge mistake that was!)

Ediit: Handy dandy quarter-on-quarter comparison courtesy of Chris 1964 on GAF...

3DS software (Jul-Sep 2016)

Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire - 0,94m / 13,18m (+135,00%)

Pokémon X / Y - 0,66m / 15,64m (+135,71%)

Mario Kart 7 - 0,38m / 13,94m (+26,67%)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 0,22m / 10,34m (+100,00%)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 0,22m / 4,52m (-15,38%)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 0,21m / 10,60m (+50,00%)

Tomodachi Life - 0,21m / 5,30m (+90,91%)

Super Mario 3D Land - 0,17m / 10,98m (+112,50%)

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 0,15m / 5,03m (+150,00%)

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 0,12m / 8,35m (+9,09%)

Wii U software (Jul-Sep 2016)

Mario Kart 8 - 0,30m / 8,00m (+50,00%)

Super Mario 3D World - 0,18m / 5,19m (-5,26%)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 0,16m / 1,98m (+60,00%)

Splatoon - 0,14m / 4,57m (-6,67%)

Mario Party 10 - 0,13m / 1,94m (+160,00%)

New Super Mario Bros. U - 0,11m / 5,45m (-26,67%)

New Super Luigi U - 0,10m / 2,74m (-33,33%)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 0,09m / 4,99m (-10,00%)

Super Mario Maker - 0,08m / 3,73m (-38,46%)

Nintendo Land - 0,03m / 5,13m (+0,00%)

You can clearly see the positive trends from Nintendo Selects and Pokemon Go here.

Edited by Dcubed

This is what annoys me. They slowly but surely achieve good sales - just imagine what they could do if they actually managed to have a console that actually gets a decent level of uptake. Less than 5 million for Splatoon is criminal - despite all the online criticisms that could be thrown at it the general gameplay itself was rather unique and refreshing; massive shame it's not an experience that made it into more people's hands.

So Nintendo's latest financial results for the last quarter are out now...

Mario Kart 8 has now, hilariously enough, hit the 8 million mark. It's almost poetic really (and once again I'm taking the opportunity to point and laugh at Polygon here for their absurd pre-release sales prediction :laughing: )

And Pokemon X/Y has finally done the impossible and outsold Pokemon Black/White! With 15.64 million sales under its belt, it is no longer the worst selling game in the mainline series! Hooray! (poor Gen 5 deserved so much more...) I honestly didn't think it would ever happen; Pokemon Go really did have a huge impact here.

Speaking of Pokemon Go, it's not listed on Nintendo's balance sheets, but they mentioned that they earned 12 billion yen (around $115 million) from all entities accounted for using equity method (these are all of Nintendo's outside affiliated companies, including TPC). As it was only 1.5 billion yen for the previous 6 months, we can clearly see that the grand majority (probably around 10-11 billion yen) comes from their share of the Pokemon Go takings. Not a bad chunk of change really!

Luigi's Mansion 2 has hit the absurd 5 million mark (no really, what a ridiculous success!) and it looks like Splatoon (4.57 million) is gonna end up catching and even surpassing Smash Bros Wii U (Which is now at 4.9 million; sure to crack 5 million when all is said and done); who the hell saw that coming!?

Also Mario Party 10 is almost at 2 million (currently at 1.94 million), not bad at all!

Kirby Planet Robobot cracked 1 million this quarter (1.08 million), but sadly it seems that the European version of Fire Emblem Fates failed to capture the success it found throughout the rest of the world as it is absent from the report (that extra 5 month wait we had to endure really did a number on it; what a huge mistake that was!)

Ediit: Handy dandy quarter-on-quarter comparison courtesy of Chris 1964 on GAF...

You can clearly see the positive trends from Nintendo Selects and Pokemon Go here.

Really hope Nintendo learn from FE Sales in Europe. Releasing games 5 months after North American release is a mistake. I fail to see any benefit to Nintendo when having such wide gapes on some EU/NA Release dates.

If FE was a MS or Sony published game you know fall well that the game would be released in NA/EU in the same week. Nintendo always have to be different in a bad way!

Just stop this in the future, release dates between EU/NA should be days, Couple of weeks at a push. Not months on end!!

Edited by khilafah

This is what annoys me. They slowly but surely achieve good sales - just imagine what they could do if they actually managed to have a console that actually gets a decent level of uptake. Less than 5 million for Splatoon is criminal - despite all the online criticisms that could be thrown at it the general gameplay itself was rather unique and refreshing; massive shame it's not an experience that made it into more people's hands.

CvN4uQ0UIAAR8WT_thumb.jpg

Good thing that Nintendo feel the same way ;)

Splatoon is a new ip and 4.5 Mil is ridiculously good!!!

Retailers say that Black Friday is a major factor in the UK software market being down, with the sales event being detrimental to sales of new releases. This is due to consumers holding off spending until Black Friday. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 have been among the games that have underperformed in their first weeks on shelves.

One source goes as far as to say that publishers may think again about launching new games during this period. But apparently even the massive discounts at retail seen during Black Friday won’t help the market.

“The market cannot turn around now. Pre-orders and the first couple of weeks sales are enormously important to both publishers and retailers but there has been some appalling results this year due to Black Friday, and customers waiting to see if the games are broken or if the scores are decent,” said one retail source.

“It’s hard to see why publishers would release games in November going forward. Black Friday is the worst thing to happen to UK retail.”

Another retail source added: “Judging by the drop off we have seen in trade in the run up to Black Friday, I suspect customers have held off on key purchases. This should make the event itself larger than 2015, but I’m not convinced that the month as a whole will benefit. The following weeks were slightly subdued as consumers had no doubt spent much of their disposable income.“

Personally I think publishers need to start spacing their games out more. There's far too many games getting released at around the same time in Oct-Nov every year and people end up just waiting for the majority of them to drop in price, which most have done stupidly fast this year. Stuff like Titanfall 2, CoD and even the likes of Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2, both of which are only a couple of weeks old, have already been discounted.

As for the bolded part, as well they should be! More and more games are being released in a buggy state, so you can't blame the consumer if they want to hold back and wait until the game either gets patched or see if it gets left in a broken state.

~PS4 Software Sell through 50.4 Million over the Same Period, UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End, reached a cumulative sell through of more than 8.7 Million copies globally ~

SAN MATEO, Calif., Jan. 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced robust sales for PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system and its software titles this holiday. That includes:

• PS4 has sold through more than 6.2 million units during the 2016 holiday season
  • PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 53.4 million units globally as of January 1, 2017.
  • PS4 software sales also remained strong during the 2016 holiday season with more than 50.4 million copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of January 1, 2017.
  • UNCHARTED 4: A Thief's End reached a cumulative sell through of more than 8.7 million copies globally as of December 21, 2016.

"We are truly grateful for the tremendous support from our fans and partners, which has helped to make this holiday season one of the best in our history," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. "We will aim to continue the momentum this year by broadening the PS4 title portfolio, further enriching the revolutionary gaming experiences on PlayStation VR*5 and high quality gaming experience on PlayStation 4 Pro*6, while also expanding network services. We will remain steadfast in making the PS4 the best place to play."

Absolutely insane numbers.

For comparison, here's what the figures were last year.

5.7 million PS4's were sold during the same period last year

35 million units of software

They've managed to sell more consoles and increase the software sales by 15 million units.