NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

Thats why I dont tend to pay much attention to charts anymore. Not including digital sales messes with the data far too much. Most instances I saw the new Marvel Vs Capcom game advertised for example were for the digital versions.

Just now, Happenstance said:

Thats why I dont tend to pay much attention to charts anymore. Not including digital sales messes with the data far too much. Most instances I saw the new Marvel Vs Capcom game advertised for example were for the digital versions.

Apparently it's doing really badly on Steam as well in comparison to its contemporaries... Make of that what you will...

Yeah, it sucks that we don't get a full picture of what's going on, but physical is still where the majority of sales happen; especially here in the UK where digital is often substantially more expensive than physical.

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Apparently it's doing really badly on Steam as well in comparison to its contemporaries... Make of that what you will...

To be fair from what I've heard its just not as good of a version as the previous games. Some of it feeling rushed etc.

Yeah, it sucks that we don't get a full picture of what's going on, but physical is still where the majority of sales happen; especially here in the UK where digital is often substantially more expensive than physical.
Not so, Bungie just reported that for Destiny 2 on console, over 50% of sales were digital. Physical is now falling behind, which is why you can't really take too much from just physical charts these days.

It's great to see the PS4, Switch and X selling well. To think, many analysts thought that console gaming was going to die this generation. 

I havent actually seen numbers for the X so far. If it is selling well I've got to admit I can see it having a large drop off soon.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I havent actually seen numbers for the X so far. If it is selling well I've got to admit I can see it having a large drop off soon.

The numbers at launch in the UK had it selling as well as the Switch. As you said, I imagine there will have been a drop off after all the hardcore had made their purchases. 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The numbers at launch in the UK had it selling as well as the Switch. As you said, I imagine there will have been a drop off after all the hardcore had made their purchases. 

I think thats going to be the problem for them. Once the initial excitement over a powerful new console has warn off they're still left with the same problem they had before this, lack of interesting software (and a fucking terrible dash!).

• Haha 2

Era has took a closer a look at the PS4 numbers and it's even more impressive than many thought.

That means the console sold through 20.6 million units in the past 12 months. More than in any prior 12 month period. It also went from 60m to 70m in 172 days. Less days than any other 10m milestone.

Absolutely nuts!

• Like 1

Phew, that is indeed impressive.

I wonder what the sales will be like when the PS4's price will be reduced again in one or two years...maybe, just maybe Sony will reach PS2 numbers. 100m is a given, though.

• Like 1

It’s disappointing that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 dropped out of the UK top 40 immediately... it deserves decent sales!

Edited by Kav
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kav said:

It’s disappointing that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 dropped out of the UK top 40 immediately... it deserves decent sales!

I think it may have done better than the previous games?

I dont think it was pushed that much.

50 minutes ago, Blade said:

I think it may have done better than the previous games?

I dont think it was pushed that much.

It's being pushed pretty well. I've seen a couple of adverts on TV and loads on Cruncyroll and YouTube.

JRPGs don't really have legs in the UK market, with FF being the exception. The sales tend to be front loaded and then they plummet a week or two after release. WRPGs on the other hand  seem to do well long after release.

• Like 1

Suppose we should note here that Switch has now reached the 10 million milestone!

By contrast, PS4 and Wii reached 10 million in 9 months, while Wii U did it in 31 months.

@Kav, Yeah, it is disappointing to see, but unfortunately, that's just how the UK market goes.  JRPGs just don't sell well here and typically have no legs to carry them after the first week (the latter is actually true in most countries, but JRPGs start off weak in the UK anyway - making the effect even more pronounced).  From what I've heard, XB2 sold in-line with Ni-No-Kuni back on the PS3 here in the UK, so not all hope is lost.  I suspect that it'll fare much better in the US and throughout mainland Europe (especially in France).

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Suppose we should note here that Switch has now reached the 10 million milestone!

By contrast, PS4 and Wii reached 10 million in 9 months, while Wii U did it in 31 months.

How long did it take the DS and 3DS to achieve that number?

Just now, drahkon said:

Poor Microsoft :p

Next year will be dominated by Nintendo and Sony.

They've completely lost the plot this generation. There's an interesting topic on Era that cropped up about how the biggest issue Microsoft have is mindshare. Nobody is talking about them, despite recently releasing a console. Just look at last weekend at the Game Awards. The majority of buzz was about Sony and Nintendo.

Yup, they have nothing going for them. ::shrug: Nintendo and Sony are announcing/releasing games left and right and are constantly in the news. Microsoft on the other hand? Aside from PUBG, what is there?

I wonder if they're able to turn this around in the future?

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How long did it take the DS and 3DS to achieve that number?

DS did it somewhere in-between 13-14 months, but that was before things really took off with the DS Lite.

3DS is a bit harder to pin down, I can't seem to find an exact month online, but in looking at the quarterly sales data, I think I can make an educated guess that it happened in November 2011, so that would put it at the 9 month mark as well (it really exploded after the price cut and during November/December that year!).

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They've completely lost the plot this generation. There's an interesting topic on Era that cropped up about how the biggest issue Microsoft have is mindshare. Nobody is talking about them, despite recently releasing a console. Just look at last weekend at the Game Awards. The majority of buzz was about Sony and Nintendo.

That was a really interesting thread and I find myself agreeing with the sentiment of it.  MS have really struggled to regain any buzz this year; even with the launch of a new console.  The XboneX does seem to have gotten off to a good start though, and PUBG has yet to launch for them, so things could still change...

Sony haven't exactly got the greatest Xmas lineup either here; largely selling off the back off of the typical multiplatform releases and catalogue sales of games (Even GT Sport has struggled, now only rebounding somewhat thanks to a panic price cut).  But they do have some strong discounts and deals over the Xmas season, which will probably be enough for them to ward off MS.  PUBG is MS' real hail-mary here and is this season's big wildcard; I really don't know what kind of effect it'll have.  Could be the next console Minecraft, could be the next console Counterstrike.  Really not sure how the penny's gonna drop here, but I'm interested in finding out!

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, drahkon said:

Yup, they have nothing going for them. ::shrug: Nintendo and Sony are announcing/releasing games left and right and are constantly in the news. Microsoft on the other hand? Aside from PUBG, what is there?

I wonder if they're able to turn this around in the future?

I still think it will take a brand new console cycle but its possible. We've seen it with all the big 3 lately.

Just now, Happenstance said:

I still think it will take a brand new console cycle but its possible. We've seen it with all the big 3 lately.

Indeed, but for that I think either Sony or Nintendo have to fuck things up in the next cycle. Well, it has to be Sony, because I don't think Nintendo will be a part of it from the get go.

But hey, it's Sony. After the PS4 they're bound to fuck up :D

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

That's if we ever see a new console cycle at all...

I think generations are done for good now.  There's no incentive for anyone to hit the reset button again.  We live in an age where iOS and Android are the norm and software platforms are expected to live beyond the hardware.  Funnily enough, despite being in the weaker position, MS seem to understand this better than Sony and have really taken big strides towards making backwards and forwards compatibility a key defining feature of their platforms and ecosystem.  I reckon that this is something that is really gonna give them a leg up over Sony as time goes on and could well help them gain ground in the long-term.

But of course MS' situation with exclusive software is rather dire at this point; and that's gonna really bite them in the long-term...

Edited by Dcubed