NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

We also shouldn't underestimate Nintendo's ability to produce unexpected and unpredictable fuck-ups that we couldn't even think up right now.

I think the next Nintendo system will have voice chat. But, what matters more is what games we'll actually be playing when chatting, at least imo. I don't think that the third parties will suddenly come back, so it's up to Nintendo (and second parties?) to provide content for their system. I'm not really pumped yet, but that may change when we find out exactly what is in store.

Software:

[3DS] Monster Hunter X (Capcom, 11/27/15) – 1,488,367 (New)

[3DS] Aikatsu! My No. 1 Stage! (Bandai Namco, 11/26/15) – 24,918 (New)

[Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 23,823 (825,940)

[Wii U] Super Mario Maker (Nintendo, 09/10/15) – 18,639 (410,432)

[PS4] Star Wars Battlefront (EA, 11/19/15) – 18,341 (142,249)

[PSV] Hyperdimension Neptunia VS Sega Hard Girls: Dream Fusion Special (Compile Heart, 11/26/15) – 16,941 (New)

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad (Nintendo, 07/11/15) – 15,748 (1,760,188)

[PSV] Criminal Girls 2 (NIS, 11/26/15) – 15,196 (New)

[PS3] TV Anime The Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol. 6 (Bandai Namco, 11/26/15) – 13,613 (New)

[PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III (SCE, 11/06/15) – 13,608 (220,408)

[PS4] Blade Arcus from Shining Ex (Sega, 11/26/15) – 12,469 (New)

[3DS] Disney Magical World 2 (Bandai Namco, 10/05/15) – 12,115 (117,074)

[Wii U] Taiko Drum Master: Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen (Bandai Namco, 11/26/15) – 10,007 (New)

[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (Nintendo, 07/30/15) – 10,003 (1,135,805)

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SCE, 03/19/15) – 8,859 (413,188)

[PS3] Blade Arcus from Shining Ex (Sega, 11/26/15) – 8,083 (New)

[PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book (Gust, 11/19/15) – 6,183 (31,988)

[3DS] Pokemon Rumble World (Nintendo, 11/19/15) – 6,130 (16,250)

[Wii U] Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Nintendo, 11/21/15) – 6,022 (26,325)

[PSV] Omega Labyrinth (D3 Publisher, 11/19/15) – 5,623 (30,736)

Hardware:

New 3DS LL – 105,629 (28,257)

PlayStation 4 – 26,598 (29,052)

Wii U – 20,256 (14,684)

New 3DS – 18,052 (5,859)

PlayStation Vita – 14,765 (12,258)

3DS – 6,095 (1,012)

PlayStation 3 – 1,643 (1,624)

3DS LL – 1,247 (596)

PlayStation Vita TV – 625 (583)

Xbox One – 591 (889)

These are big numbers.... Plus, Famitsu is saying 1.542.104.

Lot's of New 3DS LL moved also.

Splatoon apparently over 1m now in Japan (if digital sales included).

Edited by Kounan

Looks really positive for the 3DS over there. In terms of the japanese market Capcom supporting the 3DS with Monster Hunter is a no brainer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1152128

Less than 76K for Rainbow Six Siege's first week in the UK...

Oh boy... Ubisoft have had a terrible year... Things are not looking good for them right now... (but very good for Vivendi!)

It was always going to bomb. Having it release AFTER Battlefront and CoD was suicide. Having the Beta so close to launch didnt scream of confidence either. Add to the fact that it feels nothing like the 360 games, which were pretty popular, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Mario & Luigi paper jam didn't even make top 40. 3DS software sales in the UK are shockingly bad.

Mario & Luigi paper jam didn't even make top 40. 3DS software sales in the UK are shockingly bad.

What's new there? Nintendo have always been weak in the UK :p

UK sales charts; week ending 5th of December

All Formats

hcPWOZ0.png

Individual Formats

4Zful0d.png

Top 20 Wii U

av7AiXh.png

Top 50 3DS

3QK1owH.png

Monster Hunter doing still great, but Splatoon is getting better and better, so is Mario Maker:

[3DS] Monster Hunter X (Capcom, 11/27/15) – 332,478 (1,820,845)

[3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (Nintendo, 12/03/15) – 49,266 (New)

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad (Level-5, 07/11/15) – 38,434 (1,798,622)

[Wii U] Splatoon (Nintendo, 05/28/15) – 35,256 (861,197)

[Wii U] Super Mario Maker (Nintendo, 09/10/15) – 32,155 (442,588)

[PS4] Bloodborne: The Old Hunters Edition (SCE, 12/03/15) – 20,455 (New)

[3DS] Disney Magical World 2 (Bandai Namco, 10/05/15) – 13,906 (130,980)

[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (Nintendo, 07/30/15) – 11,734 (1,147,540)

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SCE, 03/19/15) – 11,179 (424,367)

[PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III (SCE, 11/06/15) – 11,092 (231,500)

[PS4] Star Wars Battlefront (EA, 11/19/15) – 9,487 (151,736)

[3DS] Sumikko Gurashi Omise Hajimerun Desu (Nippon Columbia, 11/19/15) – 7,654 (29,447)

[Wii U] Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version (Level-5, 12/05/15) – 7,060 (New)

[3DS] Aikatsu! My No. 1 Stage! (Bandai Namco, 11/26/15) – 6,298 (31,217)

[PSV] Himouto! Umaru-chan: Umaru's Training Plan (FuRyu, 12/03/15) – 6,063 (New)

[3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ (Nintendo, 06/11/15) – 5,743 (509,822)

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes (Nintendo, 10/22/15) – 5,305 (110,757)

[3DS] Pokemon Rumble World (Pokemon, 11/19/15) – 5,229 (21,479)

[3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (Pokemon, 09/17/15) – 5,107 (269,781)

[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (SCE, 12/03/15) – 4,630 (New)

The 3DS is doing very good again, but that's not a surprise, but Wii U is selling a lot better in the last few weeks:

New 3DS LL – 76,779 (105,629)

PlayStation 4 – 35,782 (26,598)

Wii U – 32,604 (20,256)

PlayStation Vita – 21,860 (14,765)

New 3DS – 17,202 (18,052)

3DS – 7,915 (6,095)

PlayStation 3 – 1,916 (1,643)

3DS LL – 1,113 (1,247)

PlayStation Vita TV – 646 (625)

Xbox One – 289 (591)

Looks like Sony won the battle for Black Friday. The numbers are looking like they sold 1.5 million in a month!

Sony and Microsoft went into the gift-giving holiday battle armed with deals and bundles, but only one console could come out on top.

And it wasn’t the Xbox One.

PlayStation 4 sold better than Xbox One in November in the United States, Sony has confirmed to GamesBeat. This is a big win for PlayStation, considering the Xbox One was the top-performing system in November 2014. But Sony obviously took this holiday seriously with an official price drop and several deals that enabled gamers to pick up the system (often packaged with a game or two) for only $300. Microsoft matched that price with its Gears of War Xbox One bundle, and it also had the season’s biggest exclusive in Rise of the Tomb Raider. But these obviously weren’t enough to eclipse the PlayStation 4.

We’ll have more coverage of the monthly gaming sales report from market research firm The NPD Group later today.

Here’s the full statement from Sony marketing boss Eric Lempel:

“PlayStation 4 is the top-selling console in the United States during the month of November, according to NPD. We have hit several key milestones over the last few weeks. Prior to Black Friday, we announced we have sold through more than 30.2 million PS4s to consumers around the world and that PS4 continues to exhibit the fastest growth in PlayStation hardware history. In addition, Black Friday sales were the strongest in PlayStation history demonstrating more people game now than ever before. We are also pleased to announce November was the biggest month ever for PlayStation Store indicating a strong digital marketplace complementing healthy retail sales.”

Xbox One also done well, giving Microsoft their best November ever in terms of sales. The numbers for that are looking to be around 1.2 million.

Software wise, it looks like Tomb Raider not only bombed in the UK but also in the US. It didn't crack the top 10 for the month.

1.) Call of Duty: Black Ops III - (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC | Actvision Blizzard) - Higher than Advanced Warfare, highest selling game since 2013

2.) Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC | Bethesda Softworks) - Up 70% versus Fallout: New Vegas and 9% versus Fallout 3, more comparable to Skyrim

3.) Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4, Xbox One, PC | Electronic Arts) - Up 21% versus The Force Unleashed, the previous best selling Star Wars game (it had a worldwide LTD of over 7 million copies)

4.) Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3 | Electronic Arts)

5.) NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3 | Take-Two)

6.) FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3 | Electronic Arts)

7.) Need For Speed (PS4, Xbox One | Electronic Arts)

8.) Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One | Microsoft)

9.) Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate (PS4, Xbox One, PC | Ubisoft)

10.) Just Dance 2016 (Wii, Wii U, 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3 | Ubisoft)

I wonder how much this whole deal has cost Microsoft? It didn't sell well and it clearly didn't push the console sales up.

Apparently CoD sold better on the Xbox, despite having Sony marketing it but Fallout sold better on the PS4, despite Microsoft marketing it. Crazy. :D

EDIT: From Gaf...

Similar to last month, I would now like to take the opportunity to release some data points from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Sales Channel) report for November 2015.

Other data points will follow throughout the next few days as, like I said, I am very busy and can only be on NeoGAF for brief periods at this juncture.

Please keep in mind that The NPD Group tracks a 4-week month with a reporting period of 11/01/15 through 11/28/15.

Also, please read the following disclaimer:

NPD's monthly point-of-sale data reports on U.S. Games Industry sales occurring from new physical purchases at retail which is the largest channel for games sales, but does not represent 100% of industry sales; it does not account for consumer purchases made via digital distribution, used game sales, subscriptions, mobiles, rentals, or social network games. NPD's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. is issued quarterly and is NPD's official estimate of the consumer spend on the industry and it does include estimate of the size of these other monetization methods.

Sony Corp's 'PlayStation 4' took a commanding lead with 1539K units sold throughout the United States according to data from The NPD Group.

Microsoft Corp's 'Xbox One,' while still successful, was only up 5% year-over-year with 1296K.

Nintendo's 'Wii U' was far less successful. Wii U Hardware Unit Sales were only up 0.1% from November 2014, flatlining at 240K. Such flatlined demand for Nintendo's Wii U heralds its future demise because of its lackluster performance despite very cheap Black Friday discounts.

pjo3m77.png

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I wonder if they have sold the consoles for profit, or a loss.

PS4 has been sold for a profit for a long time now. This article was back in May 2014...

The PlayStation 4 is already profitable for Sony on a hardware unit basis, president and CEO Kazuo Hirai announced during its corporate strategy meeting this week.

"It's been a hugely successful launch, but the key to the long term success of the platform lies in how solidly we can continue to grow the installed base," Hirai said. "In terms of game titles for PS4, as of April 13, 47 titles had been launched with a total of 20.5 million units being sold via retailers and over the network on the PlayStation Store. From a profitability perspective, PS4 is also already contributing profit on a hardware unit basis, establishing a very different business framework from that of previous platform businesses."

I wonder if they have sold the consoles for profit, or a loss.

At launch they made a profit after 1 game had been sold/1 PS+ subscription had been purchased so I imagine that they've been raking it in ever since.

I imagine that they got a really good deal on bulk purchasing their components because unlike Nintendo, they could pretty much guarantee they would sell a lot of units.

Impressive numbers for both Microsoft and Sony : peace:

Can't wait to see what the next 3-4 weeks will bring in terms of sales.

At launch they made a profit after 1 game had been sold/1 PS+ subscription had been purchased so I imagine that they've been raking it in ever since.

I imagine that they got a really good deal on bulk purchasing their components because unlike Nintendo, they could pretty much guarantee they would sell a lot of units.

WiiU was with a game too, wasn't it?

The other thing about the components - don't XBone and PS4 use more off the shelf parts, whereas WiiU's are a bit more custom? Could be wrong but generally been under that impression. Also Nintendo probably totally overshot their lines overproducing too early, paying that earlier higher cost. I have a feeling Sony went in conservative after the PS3 and whilst they would have run lines on a rolling basis at a possibly higher cost, not overshot with a big bulk manufacture to get a cheaper price per unit, giving flexibility if they needed it to respond to the market and take advantage of the trend of falling prices.

#PureSpeculationWithFuckAllBasis

I know all that, but didn't the PS lower the price of the bundles lot for this and last month?

UK Sales Week Ending December 12th;

All Formats

GajAdYg.png

Individual Formats

mSB5kzY.png

Top 50 3DS Games

WIdASi9.png

Top 20 Wii U games

TpmjBTR.png

Xenoblade has done absolutely awful.

It was never going to do well over here. It's a JRPG with mechs, released for a dead console at a time when the world is suffering from Star Wars fever. Look at all of the games released on other systems around its time of release.

It was never going to do well over here. It's a JRPG with mechs, released for a dead console at a time when the world is suffering from Star Wars fever. Look at all of the games released on other systems around its time of release.

Exactly. It's basically come out 18 months too late.

It's one of those games that could be a system seller to a certain demographic but like Zelda Wii U, it's come out way too late.

It's one of those games that could be a system seller to a certain demographic but like Zelda Wii U, it's come out way too late.

Indeed.

I wonder if things would have played out differently for the console if Splatoon, Mario Maker, Zelda and Xenoblade arrived within the first 18 months of the consoles life?

Indeed.

I wonder if things would have played out differently for the console if Splatoon, Mario Maker, Zelda and Xenoblade arrived within the first 18 months of the consoles life?

It always blows my mind that the Gamecube got Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Metroid Prime (as well as a bunch of new I.P) so early into it's lifespan.

It always blows my mind that the Gamecube got Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and Metroid Prime (as well as a bunch of new I.P) so early into it's lifespan.

Probably because they weren't trying to coast along on their previous consoles success. They were actually trying. :D

It's a bit sad because its predecessor has a great story, awesome characters, a fun battle system and it was huge in length. I do feel that there are plenty of gamers out there who would like to have played that and I think it's the same with XCX. It should appeal to the same crowd who enjoy Final Fantasy games and the like.

I think the timing for me has definitely been one of the nails in the coffin of XCX. I'm still contemplating it, but I'll probs give my PS4 away for a month while I have it so that I actually play. Honestly if this had been last year or maybe even earlier this year, I'd have definitely picked it up. Nintendo just kept me waiting too much and too long for everything, and I've moved elsewhere. I've come to recognise the implications of their timing/lack of software more since having an alternative(which I mostly only play Destiny on anyway, but that's doing something enough to keep me going back to it).