N-Europe

Pokemon X & Y

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started re-watching the Pokemon original cartoon series lately out of boredom, which in turn got me to play Pokemon SoulSilver. I've been hooked for days, it's got me really excited about this game. If they make a serious effort to shake up and modernise the play mechanics (I know, dream on) on top of the new visuals it'll be a treat. When do you think we'll see more of X and Y in action?

I started re-watching the Pokemon original cartoon series lately out of boredom, which in turn got me to play Pokemon SoulSilver. I've been hooked for days, it's got me really excited about this game. If they make a serious effort to shake up and modernise the play mechanics (I know, dream on) on top of the new visuals it'll be a treat. When do you think we'll see more of X and Y in action?

What's wrong with the game mechanics?? They're so in-depth and complex...

We'll probably see more next month

What's wrong with the game mechanics?? They're so in-depth and complex...

They are, and they're fantastic. But I'd also argue that they are stale and outdated, predictable and often cumbersome. I've been playing Ni No Kuni alongside SoulSilver, and its been very frustrating at times to have to go through four or five menu screens just to get a potion or view the map. Random/lengthy battles and grinding is also a bit of a nightmare. I'm a big fan of Pokemon, and I want it to do well, but I won't be buying these new games if reviews indicate it's just the same old formula from the 90's with fresh paint thrown on top.

They are, and they're fantastic. But I'd also argue that they are stale and outdated, predictable and often cumbersome. I've been playing Ni No Kuni alongside SoulSilver, and its been very frustrating at times to have to go through four or five menu screens just to get a potion or view the map. Random/lengthy battles and grinding is also a bit of a nightmare. I'm a big fan of Pokemon, and I want it to do well, but I won't be buying these new games if reviews indicate it's just the same old formula from the 90's with fresh paint thrown on top.

Well with Black 2 & White 2, there's a "Free Space" part of the bag that you can place your commonly used items within. Also in Generation V, you can map loads of things to a shortcut accessed via the Select button. This includes Key Items, part of the Pokédex, areas in the bag and more so it's already been dealt with.

It WILL have random battles though. That will never change

My mistake then, I wasn't aware that in the latest game they'd started to sort out the bag problem. But it doesn't sound like the fundamental mechanics have evolved much since Red and Blue, they've just become more complex. That's my opinion, I'm sure you could argue against it.

I understand that random battles are necessary, but if the developers made it so a) they were less frequent or preferably b) a little effect of something moving in the grass would indicate a wild Pokemon nearby, and you could walk into it and then enter battle with that random Pokemon - I'd appreciate that a lot.

My mistake then, I wasn't aware that in the latest game they'd started to sort out the bag problem. But it doesn't sound like the fundamental mechanics have evolved much since Red and Blue, they've just become more complex. That's my opinion, I'm sure you could argue against it.

I understand that random battles are necessary, but if the developers made it so a) they were less frequent or preferably b) a little effect of something moving in the grass would indicate a wild Pokemon nearby, and you could walk into it and then enter battle with that random Pokemon - I'd appreciate that a lot.

As of Black & White, those are actually the case

1 - The frequency of wild encounters varies in each area

2 - There's a special method, we call them shaking spots, where wild Pokémon appear. These Pokémon are from a different encounter table to the normal ones and are the only way to get some Pokémon

Edited by Serebii

I buy a copy of pretty much all the new generation Pokémon games, but I haven't beaten anything after Gold and Silver. There's always a point around the third/fourth gym when I realise I've already gone through the same tired motions many times before and completely give up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...