NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

Has anybody seen Gomorrah? Holy fucking shit it's good. Same style as The Wire, not quite on its level but completely destroys the illusion of the mafioso having an honourable code of not harming innocents.

Totally brutal.

Robot Wars is back with a new series on BBC2 at 8pm tomorrow. Razor is in the first week. ;)

Anyone caught Stranger Thing on Netflix yet?

It's sooo goood

strangerthingsthumbjpg-6ab191_1280w.jpg

Kind of a nostalgic mix of early Speilbergs, Stand by Me, Akira, 80s music, all combining to make something fresh

How scary is it? I've heard great things but my wife won't watch anything too jumpy/gorey/creepy.

How scary is it? I've heard great things but my wife won't watch anything too jumpy/gorey/creepy.

I think it would be okay - there's a few quite creepy bits but never goes tooo far. Haven't seen any proper gore yet either.

My girlfriend hates horror (won't usually watch horror films) and loves it so I think your wife would be fine!

I recently watched Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix after hearing a lot of positive buzz about it. I didn't love it the way some people did, and it took me a few episodes to really get into it, but I can certainly see why people are impressed. Rachel Bloom is one hell of an individual as she co-created the show, writes for it, writes the songs, acts and performs on the show and she's about my age (mixture of impressed and jealous).

It's funny and ridiculous and the musical premise is bound to turn some people off but even as someone that doesn't know anything about musicals I could see and appreciate how they tried the whole gamut and didn't just rely on one genre or style.

Plus it did provide a great take on mental health. It's easy to point to Rebecca's "craziness" (and the show does address it as its basically the central concept) but the more you watch the more it uncovers how everyone around her could be called "crazy" but it's less obvious/socially dismissed. It surprisingly managed to hit some emotional notes (no pun intended) amongst the silliness.

And the male lead was a Filipino and Filipino culture was discussed/reflected (one of the writers/recurring guests is Filipino). It's ridiculous that in 2016 having a non-white romantic lead is a surprise but there you go.

And the theme song stays stuck in your head for days:

I finally got round to watching Stranger Things. I watched it with the girlfriend and we both loved the vibe it gave off! As people have said above, like a mix of so many classic 80's things.

Is a second season green lit yet?

So I'm only just discovering The Americans on Amazon Prime Video. Really enjoying it so far, much better than I was expecting. Anyone watched/watching?

I need to get round to it. I half-watched the first episode but need to redo it properly.

I've had The Americans lined up ready to watch ever since @Dog\-amoto recommended it ages ago, but I'm so hopelessly behind on TV shows these days that I'll never get around to it at this pace.

The first episode of Halt and Catch Fire season 3 was randomly uploaded online by AMC (2-part premiere was supposed to be tomorrow night in America).

I love the cinematography of this show and of course all the hindsight jokes.

"You think people will stick around [the internet] for gifs?"

"I hear it's pronounced [dʒəf]"

Just watched the first two episodes of Rick and Morty.

And I don't know. I just don't know.

I laugh, I'm confused, I laugh, I'm stunned, I laugh, I can't even.

Just watched the first two episodes of Rick and Morty.

And I don't know. I just don't know.

I laugh, I'm confused, I laugh, I'm stunned, I laugh, I can't even.

First episode is rubbish compared to the rest. Definitely fills that Futurama sized whole in my life. Whilst also throwing in some parts South Park, other parts American Dad.

Love the sentient dog episode and the Mr. MeeSeeks one from the first season.

So I'm only just discovering The Americans on Amazon Prime Video. Really enjoying it so far, much better than I was expecting. Anyone watched/watching?

I made a thread a while ago. But it's lonely in there!!!

http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57797

Excited that someone else in here is watching and enjoying it as well though :D

Wos it abaat den?

It's about deep undercover KGB spies in the 80s. I don't think I've seen enough to contribute much as I've only watched about 5 episodes. I think I've stopped binge-watching things or maybe there just hasn't been anything good enough to warrant it for a while...

It sounds a lot better than the title suggests. I might suggest it to my wife when we're caught up on Suits.

It is. I don't think the title was a good idea at all, as I imagined it was a sitcom about a homely American family, or a reality TV show.

Also it has Noah Emmerich in, who played Marlon in The Truman Show.

That's exactly what I thought of when I heard of it. The promo shots look similar too.