NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

If I was in your position I would have contacted Nintendo directly.. and asked that they honour your attempted purchase. It does initially charge you THEN you d/l... I've never had a similar situation but thanks for the heads up (IF I ever get close to filling my SD card!)

I did(i also blank filled another SD card to test it was exactly as I thought) - they said I'd have to purchase the game at full price and then they'd refund me half the price - which'd mean I'd still have the extra £18 sitting on my eShop account! Was in desperate need of monies at the time and didn't want to do that, so I just let it go with a ranty email and decided I'd not buy the game at all instead.

@Rummy - Wow, initially I thought you'd just missed out on the deal which sounded lame enough but reading back I see it charged you to put money on the eShop but just didn't let you donwload, that's even worse! It should have definitely told you about not having enough space before putting your money on, they basically slyly got that £18 off you knowing that you wouldn't be able to spend it as intended.

@Rummy - Wow, initially I thought you'd just missed out on the deal which sounded lame enough but reading back I see it charged you to put money on the eShop but just didn't let you donwload, that's even worse! It should have definitely told you about not having enough space before putting your money on, they basically slyly got that £18 off you knowing that you wouldn't be able to spend it as intended.

Yep. They wanted me to top up to the £40, buy the game, and then they'd refund me 'the difference' from that? My concern was then laying out the extra money, and getting further issues, or essentially topping up to £40, then getting refunded £22...still leaving me with £22 sitting on my account having laid out £40. If that makes any sense. I'd have gotten the game for £18, yes, but I'd have put out £22 in future credit that I didn't want to have sitting on my account. So make that getting £18 off me buying the game, and a further sly £22 to sit in their eShop! Guaranteed future purchases. Felt slimey.

Tbh at the time I was cracking into the house buying process(I raised the issue a couple weeks after it actually occurred rather than straight away), but I did feel quite let down by it all. Maybe it's a rare occurrence to happen(especially if time limited sales aren't that much of a thing) but it really shocked me at the time that there could be what seemed like such a gaping flaw in the system, something I could maybe understand a few years back but not in the current state of tech.

EDIT: Just fished through my e-mails and found the original conversation. I think I misremembered a few points, but mostly still as I described. I wrote like a frickin idiot, though(and apparently never actually send the angry reply telling them to forget it all)

I write regarding an issue that occurred a while ago with a Nintendo promotion. I understand that between the 19th and 22nd September a promotion was run via the eShop for both Wii U and 3DS that had Monster Hunter Ultimate 3 for half price. Whilst I already own this on my Wii U, I thought it was a good deal and decided to take advantage of it via my 3DS once I became aware of it on the 22nd September. As you'll see, I purchased the software on that date and added the difference to my balance in order to do this(credit added of £16.97). Or so I thought.

Whilst I had purchased the title, I had found my SD card was not large enough for the download, so I then proceeded to purchase a larger SD card and waited in anticipation.

Now, imagine my surprise when a week later my SD card arrived(being a Sunday night I couldn't pop out to the shop and grab one), I transferred everything over, then went to download my recently purchased copy of Monster Hunter. But what's this?? £39.99?! But I've already bought it!! There's a debit on my credit card for the money!!

Alas no. What it actually transpires is that all I've done is topped up my credit, and no purchase was made due to the lack of capacity on my SD card. Now, at NO POINT was I warned before adding my credit that if I did not have sufficient space to download the title that I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PURCHASE IT. Had I know this, I would have begrudgingly left the deal alone. I was quite angry when I realised, angry, disappointing, perplexed, a whole range of emotions ran through me. How could the system be so poorly thought out and implemented? This is a shocking enough setup of a system as it is, but especially so for someone so experienced in the gaming industry. On top of that the fact no warning is given to a customer that without sufficient space the title won't be purchased is even worse.

So! Here are my two proposals on my ideal rectification of the situation: -

1. Refund to me the credit I added on the 22nd September, amounting to £16.97.

2. Take the £17.99 currently sitting on my eShop account and give me ownership of one digital copy of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on 3DS.

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry that you have been experiencing issues with your eShop purchase.

We would recommend making your purchase for your game on our Nintendo eShop at full price and we will refund you the difference as per the promotion.

Please contact us once you have made your purchase and we will process your refund on our system.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused on this matter.

If you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The response is, yes. The situation itself, however, I felt was not.

I've just put essentially £18 on my account.

I'm now expected to spend/top up to £40 and buy the game at full price - this involves me putting out £40 total either way(including my original amount, here £17/18).

They'll 'refund the difference' - even if I end up with £18-22 on my account, I've still spent £22 of my money that I did not want to!

Why couldn't they take either of the options that I gave them? Why was it my responsibility to put out MORE money to buy something I though I'd already bought. As said, there's basically no warning you won't actually buy the game without space, but the option to top up to the cost is given when you try to purchase it - it implies somewhat that you're buying the game, especially when eShop topups are, afaik, non-refundable in the majority of circumstances.

Put it this way - you go to Waitrose(or other available supermarket/store) to buy a loaf of bread for a quid - but I say to you no, you gotta give me £10, then I'll give you £9 store credit for your future use, and the loaf of bread. It's just silly! Why should a shop be holding your money for no good reason? Especially if you wanted to go buy other things from other places with that money. Now you can't. Make it even worse - you don't even go to Waitrose all that often, so you're not likely to spend that £9 remaining any time soon(you're also unlikely to hit exactly £9 later, and will have to spend a little over to get it all).

Edited by Rummy

The response is, yes. The situation itself, however, I felt was not.

I've just put essentially £18 on my account.

I'm now expected to spend/top up to £40 and buy the game at full price - this involves me putting out £40 total either way(including my original amount, here £17/18).

They'll 'refund the difference' - even if I end up with £18-22 on my account, I've still spent £22 of my money that I did not want to!

Why couldn't they take either of the options that I gave them? Why was it my responsibility to put out MORE money to buy something I though I'd already bought. As said, there's basically no warning you won't actually buy the game without space, but the option to top up to the cost is given when you try to purchase it - it implies somewhat that you're buying the game, especially when eShop topups are, afaik, non-refundable in the majority of circumstances.

Put it this way - you go to Waitrose(or other available supermarket/store) to buy a loaf of bread for a quid - but I say to you no, you gotta give me £10, then I'll give you £9 store credit for your future use, and the loaf of bread. It's just silly! Why should a shop be holding your money for no good reason? Especially if you wanted to go buy other things from other places with that money. Now you can't. Make it even worse - you don't even go to Waitrose all that often, so you're not likely to spend that £9 remaining any time soon(you're also unlikely to hit exactly £9 later, and will have to spend a little over to get it all).

Now I understand what you've been saying. It wasn't fully clear to me before. No that wasn't nice or fair and you'd think there'd be a better way to fix what happened but that's our Nintendo for you.

Anyone played Lone Survivor? (that 2D horror game) I'm very tempted by its looks, price and style. I've read a couple of reviews that rate it above average on the PS3, but haven't seen anything about the Wii U version, and it's supposed to have extra content as well.

Wii U eShop releases from 30th October;

Wii U eShop

Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (Curve Studios, €13.99 / £12.99) — A Wii U exclusive combines Metroidvania-style exploration with challenging Test Chambers.

Cosmophony (Moving Player, €3.99 / £3.59) — A music rhythm games utilising DrumAndBass in a rhythmic shooter.

Falling Skies: The Game (Little Orbit, €39.99/ £34.99) — A ‘tactical strategy RPG’ in which you resist the invading alien forces that have overwhelmed the world.

Tetrobot & Co. (Neko Entertainment, €9.99 / £7.49) — Explore puzzles, absorb parts of the environment and try to escape.

Wii U Virtual Console

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble (Nintendo, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49) – This is the 60 Hz US version of the game.

Devil World (Nintendo, NES VC, €4.99 / £3.49)

Donkey Kong Promotion — Wii U

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo, €33.49 / £26.79, regular price €49.99 / £39.99) — You must buy a classic Donkey Kong game from the eShop on the same Wii U, either Donkey Kong Country on 16th October, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong’s Quest on 23rd October or Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble on 30th October.

Wii U Retail Download

Jett Tailfin (Funbox, €19.99/ £17.99)

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Zen Pinball 2: Doctor Strange Table (Zen Studios, €1.49 / £1.19 until 3rd November, regular price €2.99 / £2.39)

Zen Pinball 2: The Walking Dead Table (Zen Studios, €1.49 / £1.19 until 3rd November, regular price €2.99 / £2.39)

Wii U eShop Demo

Color Zen (Cypronia, free)

seems you can buy digital games from Rakuten Books and Yodobashi.com and have them download automatically by entering your NNID on the site from today. Amazon and more coming later

Japan getting stores with auto downloads

Now they just need to rollout redeeming codes online/a full web store. And for GAME to send codes out early.

Now they just need to rollout redeeming codes online/a full web store. And for GAME to send codes out early.

Redeeming codes online is almost done. I think it works in NA already.

Coming this Thursday (November 6th) to a Wii U eShop near you;

Wii U Retail

Disney Infinity 2.0: Play without limits (Disney Interactive Studios, €19.99/ £17.99 until 13/11/2014. Regular price will be €29.99/ £24.99)

Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue (Little Orbit, €39.99 / £34.99 )

Wii U eShop

The Swapper (Curve Digital, €14.99 / £11.99) – The Swapper is a narrative driven puzzle game set in the furthest reaches of space, taking place in an isolated and atmospheric sci-fi world.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man X3 (Capcom, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49). US 60Hz Version.

Mega Man 7 (Capcom, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49). US 60Hz Version.

Special Offers

99Seconds (EnjoyUp Games, €1.49 / £1.37 until 20/11/2014 if you have downloaded Abyss from Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U. Regular price is €2.49 / £2.29)

Abyss (EnjoyUp Games, €0.99 / £0.89 until 20/11/2014 if you have downloaded 99 Seconds from Nintendo eShop on the same Wii U. Regular price is €1.99 / £1.79)

Permanent Price Drop

Flowerworks HD: Follie’s Adventure (NOCTURNAL, €2.50 / £2.00, was €5.00 / £4.00)

I'll have to wait until tomorrow, but it's the 3DS version for me. Lay back, plug in some headphones and listen to Jake Kaufman's music!

Tempted to get both with the discount... But o think that's too much. Wii u for me

Tempted to get both with the discount... But o think that's too much. Wii u for me

I got the 3DS version.

Honestly don't see the point of buying both when there is no cross save feature.

Developers should have added this.

3DS Version.

My TV is too small and I don't have online access in my house.

WiiU one is completely worthless to me.

Plus, you get a free Shovel Knight theme with the 3DS version. (For Europe only)

3DS Version.

My TV is too small and I don't have online access in my house.

WiiU one is completely worthless to me.

Plus, you get a free Shovel Knight theme with the 3DS version. (For Europe only)

You don't have online at home? You do know it's 2014?

Fair enough, I'm sure both versions will be amazing! Can't wait to get home at the weekend and download it.

3DS:

+It's a good reason to pick it up again!

+The game feels like it's a better fit on the 3ds

+Shovel night theme

- No premium points

WiiU:

+Premium points

-Competing with MK8, Hyrule Warriors and Smash bros for play time.

I went for the 3DS version, played the first level, it's a fun little game. At first the jump seemed very excessive, shovel knight feels a bit like you're controlling a flea! but it's a fun game, just the right level of challenge so far. Atmosphere is great too, so very happy overall.