NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

Does Metroid prime trilogy support pro controller?

No, it only supports the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo (as that's what the Wii supported).

SO HYPED.

No, it only supports the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo (as that's what the Wii supported).

SO HYPED.

Thanks. I Won't be buying then.

Thanks. I Won't be buying then.

Your loss then. The Wiimote and Chuck controls are far superior to the original GCN controls anyway!

That being said, I'd still like to see them re-release the original GCN versions eventually though (either as a basic unchanged download, like with the Wii games here, or as a proper emulated VC game), just for preservation's sake.

I do find it pretty silly that games being released on the wii u eshop cannot be played with the controller that comes with the console.

One has to make a further expense of buying another controller. Sounds backwards to me.

I do find it pretty silly that games being released on the wii u eshop cannot be played with the controller that comes with the console.

One has to make a further expense of buying another controller. Sounds backwards to me.

Because games released for the Wii VC didn't require a classic controller, or games like Guitar Hero didn't require a special bespoke controller, or certain retro games didn't require a light gun, or certain PS3 games didn't require PS Move, or certain 360 games required Kinect...

It's nothing new. Some games just require separate accessories to work ::shrug:

Because games released for the Wii VC didn't require a classic controller, or games like Guitar Hero didn't require a special bespoke controller, or certain retro games didn't require a light gun, or certain PS3 games didn't require PS Move, or certain 360 games required Kinect...

It's nothing new. Some games just require separate accessories to work ::shrug:

From what I remember a wiimote could be used to play Wii VC games.

I’m pretty sure Wii VC games could be played with the wiimote. I think your examples are totally different. The likes of Guitar hero or rock band etc etc came with such controllers at the point of purchase.

If an old game was released on the PSN store and said you require a controller from a previous console to play it again I would say that’s BS.

Would it take much to patch in Wii u gamepad controls?

I’m pretty sure Wii VC games could be played with the wiimote. I think your examples are totally different. The likes of Guitar hero or rock band etc etc came with such controllers at the point of purchase.

If an old game was released on the PSN store and said you require a controller from a previous console to play it again I would say that’s BS.

The NES games could be played with a Wiimote, but that's all. SNES, etc., required the classic controller add-on.

To clarify, this isn't really 'Wii VC'; you're simply downloading a Wii game and booting it up instead of putting a disc in. To call it a virtual console is like saying putting a Wii disc into the Wii U makes it a 'Virtual Console' game.

But anyway..

When you download a Wii title and play it on Wii U, the Wii U enters Wii mode. The difference between downloaded Wii titles and physical Wii titles is that you don't have to click the 'Wii mode' icon as the console just does it itself. When in Wii mode, the Wii U can't connect to the Gamepad (it's effectively a Wii at this point) hence why Wii titles can't be played with the Gamepad. That's not to say it would be impossible, but it would require a bit of work, which they probably view as unnecessary given that they need staff elsewhere.

You're wrong. Only NES and TG16 games could be played with just a Wiimote. Everything else required either a Classic Controller or a GCN controller because the Wiimote didn't have enough buttons (and the Wiimote/Nunchuck would've been a very awkward and unsatisfactory solution - hell the VC is WHY the Classic Controller was made in the first place!)

So if they re-released Point Blank or Time Crisis, or a DDR game and you needed a PS Move or a Dance Mat to play because they originally required a light gun or a dance mat to play, you would say that's BS?

Yeah... No. That kind of restriction is actually completely sensible.

Yes it would be incredibly difficult because these are Wii games that are running in Wii mode. They would need to re-build the entire control scheme from scratch (all of the GCN controller code is completely non-existent in this version as the first two games were re-built on a modified version of Metroid Prime 3's engine), requiring them to go back into MPT's source code and essentially re-build the game all from scratch again - at that point, it's not a re-release - it's basically remaking the game all over again; hell they might as well go ahead and just make a HD remaster if they were to do that! (taking even more time away from Retro to work on something new).

This is a basic re-release, with games left exactly as they were originally released without them having to mess around with any of the game's actual code. What you're asking for is well outside the scope of this Wii Download project.

Edited by Dcubed

Hyped for rock n racing :D

Shame no online multiplayer tho

Im keen too, Driift was a big part of gaming weekends. Only worry is it looks slooow!!

You're wrong. Only NES and TG16 games could be played with just a Wiimote.

And some of the coin-ops - I play Golden Axe with just a Wii remote. Bring back Virtual Console Arcade! :D

lol I was going to get MP trilogy when I realised I don't have a Wiimote. I forgot about that and I'm not buying another one of those after looking at the prices of them.

Hyped for rock n racing :D

Shame no online multiplayer tho

So it's meant to be pretty bad :(

Has anybody tried Metroid Prime Trilogy yet? Does it offer noticeable improvements to load time versus the disc version? I have the disc version but if this improves loads times, I will buy it again. Unlike Galaxy 2 which didn't really have much of a difference.

Any word on the file size? I'm considering getting it, additional controller support would have sold me instantly though.

Any word on the file size? I'm considering getting it, additional controller support would have sold me instantly though.

Roughly 7.5GB.

Has anybody tried Metroid Prime Trilogy yet? Does it offer noticeable improvements to load time versus the disc version? I have the disc version but if this improves loads times, I will buy it again. Unlike Galaxy 2 which didn't really have much of a difference.

Yes, load times will improve massively. All downloaded Wii games get their load times cut by more than half (it's not really noticeable in SMG 2, but it makes a huge difference in DKCR!)

Edited by Dcubed

eShop says 7969.9 MB.

Yowch, that's a big game! It is a trilogy I guess!

You think that's big? I just read that Xenoblade Chronicles X takes up nearly all the space on a Wii U disc(25 GB's) and was considering using a second disc. So we have a clear winner of biggest Nintendo game ever.

Well, it's not really that big, it's just that I'm too lazy to buy an external HDD just yet and 32gb is tiny haha

The file size of Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of the main reasons I won't be downloading it. I'm determined to get through this generation without having to buy an HDD for the Wii U, though part of me thinks that something is likely to come along in the next couple of years that means I'll eventually have to cave :indeed:

I suspect there may be a Wii U redesign at some stage, though, with an increase in memory to something acceptable like 128GB. It wouldn't be enough for everyone but I'd be all set :heh: