NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

In that scenario I expect Nintendo to be the ones deeply disappointed by the sales!

:awesome:

I think anyone hoping for future Wii games to be 9 quid are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

I think Nintendo hoping for future Wii games to sell for 9 quid are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

Punch Out!! is regularly selling as a physical copy for £7 on eBay so £17.99 would be grossly overpriced for a digital copy surely? :heh:

Kirby's Adventure on the other hand seems to vary wildly with prices ranging from just over £20 right up to over £40 and while I could see it selling digitally for £17.99 if it was me then I'd be more inclined to put that kind of money towards a physical copy being that the improvements would be minimal at best I'd imagine.

If they are all £8.99 for at least the first week then I barely have to think about it as that seems to be a reasonable price to pay for most decent Wii games so if they don't have the introductory offers for all Wii games then they are just going to be doing themselves out of the majority of their sales. ::shrug:

Frenchy Bird - Wii U eShop

This is to us Europeans what Meme Run is to the Americans. A pile of $h1t€.

If anyone is interested, you can currently get some very cheap eShop titles by setting up a new Russian NNID as their eShop prices are VERY cheap (about 40-50% cheaper than UK eShop titles).

Just got me Captain Toad for £15!

This bird has had its wings clipped.

Frenchy Bird

Review

large.jpg

Avian aggravation

From the title alone, it's pretty easy to tell that Frenchy Bird is yet another in the line of Flappy Bird imitators released on the Wii U eShop. Yet whereas some of its competitors have been content to merely replicate the feel of the original, Frenchy Bird makes the bold move of replicating it with personality. Goofy music, surprisingly decent graphics and unlockable stamps to post on Miiverse make this arguably the definitive clone of Dong Nguyen's original sensation on Nintendo platforms. Of course, that isn't saying much considering the fact that Flappy Bird itself "borrowed" quite a few elements from other games, but if you've got to subject yourself to this sort of thing, you won't find a better way on Wii U.

large.jpg

It's difficult to discuss a game in detail that has so little to offer in the gameplay department. One of the particularly confusing things about Frenchy Bird — and all the other versions of this same concept that came before it — is the fact that it appears on a home console at all. Clearly, these simplistic stylings were better served on mobile devices, where people have a vested interest in wasting time. There's simply not much to experience here: just repeatedly hit the button to avoid the obstacles jutting out from the top and bottom of the screen until you eventually fail. This was a novelty when it first appeared in 2013 (and was little more than a guilty pleasure among those who did find themselves playing extensively), but almost two years later this idea has been shamelessly repeated time and time again with almost no variation. It would be remarkable if your interest were held more than a few minutes at most — and you don't need to be an economics expert to know that isn't a very good value, even for $1.99.

Frenchy Bird does deserve a little credit, though. It manages to infuse a bit more personality into these tired proceedings than you might expect thanks to an appealing presentation. The graphics are fairly simple, but the use of 3D models and a different angle of perspective are nice touches. Miiverse integration with unlockable stamps is an interesting addition as well, especially since there's not a whole lot of conversation to be had about the game itself, but hey — you can unlock a baguette stamp, which pretty much blows all prior stamps out of the water. Bonus points for the game's whimsically stereotypical French accordion music, which admittedly did give this reviewer one chuckle upon starting the game up. That's one more chuckle than fellow flapping title Flapp & Zegeta got.

Conclusion

If you can afford the luxury of paying $1.99 for a few minutes of amusement, maybe Frenchy Bird's your thing. For the rest of us, however, the charming presentation — while a nice break from the usual blandness of these clones — is not nearly enough to justify the asking price. This is the same recycled thing we've seen over and over in the two years since Dong Nguyen had a surprise hit, and it's high time this vapid avian adventure took a permanent vacation.

3/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/frenchy_bird

Frenchy Bird? More like Stenchy Turd! It should be blown to smithereens. Ooh la la, stamps! Thanks for the baguette, I'll use it to beat you to death with.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

The eShop news update is very late this morning. It normally would have been out at least 2 hours ago. It better be good and have Kirby's Adventure on the list at €9.99.

The eShop news update is very late this morning. It normally would have been out at least 2 hours ago. It better be good and have Kirby's Adventure on the list at €9.99.

Funnily enough I was looking to buy the Wii version of that to play with my girlfriend...thank god I didn't buy it!! Hopefully we'll see it soon, alongside Fire Emblem and Sin & Punishment :)

Looks like we're probably not getting the release list today because they did that stupid, pointless New3DS specific one.

Probably tomorrow then...

Robotic Platformer Mekazoo Announced for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U

If there’s one thing gamers should never fear it is the disappearance of 2D platformers. Mekazoo, which has been in development for a while by Good Mood Creators, is on the way to PC and consoles.

Mekazoo places you in control of five different “mekanimals:” armadillo, frog, panda, pelican, and wallaby. You’ll always be controlling two of the five, but the groupings can be switched up. Each pairing has their own combo along with each one’s unique skill.

Movement through each 2D environment seems quite fast, and the levels themselves don’t look bad either. What has been shown so far looks naturalistic with slight mechanical flourishes. Mekazoo will be availble on PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U in Q4 2015.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/02/09/robotic-platformer-mekazoo-announced-for-pc-ps4-xbox-one-and-wii-u/

It'll most likely be released on the eShop so that's why it is here. It reminds me of two other franchises that also feature animals, namely a hedgehog and an ape. It already looks miles better than the former franchise.

This weeks downloads are as follows:

Wii U

Blek €5.49 / £4.49

Red Riding Hood €0.90 / £0.66

Wii U Virtual Console

Blaster Master €4.99 / £3.49

Mappy-Land €4.99 / £3.49

Price Reductions

Wii U

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte) €8.49 / £6.99 / CHF9.99 until 12.03.2015, 23:59 UTC.

Spy Chameleon (EnjoyUp Games) €3.99 / £3.59 / CHF5.60 until 05.03.2015, 23:59 UTC.

Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (KnapNok Games) €3.99 / £3.99 / CHF4.99 until 26.02.2015, 23:59 UTC.

Knytt Underground™ (Ripstone Publishing) €3.99 / £3.99 / CHF6.00 until 26.02.2015, 23:59 UTC.

Not a whole lot going on. Where is this lot of games?

Schermafbeelding-2015-01-14-om-15.11.16.png

I imagine they are waiting for people to play through the other games they released. Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong and 3 Metroid games should be keeping people busy. Plus, it's a pretty big week for 3DS and they probably want keep the focus on that.

If you want to exploit the Russian eShop, now's the time to do it.

Prices rising by up to 185% on Thursday.

F###ing B@$t@rd$!!! I knew that was coming, just sooner than I expected or wanted. That's why I wanted Kirby's Adventure out this week. Still, I got a few good deals out of it. And rising by 185% will crush the Russian market and hardly seems right when we were getting 50% off.

Feel sorry for those in Russia, because Nintendo never really had any kind of presence there. Hope their economy picks up soon.

Might check out some 3DS titles and Stealth Inc 2.

Edit. Btw, this has nothing to do with the loophole. Their currency has collapsed and future releases such as Majora's Mask were already going to be sold at an increased price.

Edited by Goron_3

Okay. I'll do it now. So. How do you dok it again? Idiots guide style?

Go to settings and change the country that the console is set to Russia. A warning will come on the screen saying that changing to country can lead to signing in problems but don't worry, you can ignore it (It basically just means that you can't access the UK eShop from other stores, but that's what we're trying to do).

Next, create a Mii and a NNID for that Mii. You will need a new email address for this (you can create a gmail one in 2 minutes). Sync the NNID to the email address and when prompted, pick your location as a random Russia town/city.

Next, hop into the eShop and purchase whatever you want. This can be tricky if you're not familiar with the eShop layout as everything is in Russian!

Once you're done, change the country back to the UK :)

Go to settings and change the country that the console is set to Russia. A warning will come on the screen saying that changing to country can lead to signing in problems but don't worry, you can ignore it (It basically just means that you can't access the UK eShop from other stores, but that's what we're trying to do).

Next, create a Mii and a NNID for that Mii. You will need a new email address for this (you can create a gmail one in 2 minutes). Sync the NNID to the email address and when prompted, pick your location as a random Russia town/city.

Next, hop into the eShop and purchase whatever you want. This can be tricky if you're not familiar with the eShop layout as everything is in Russian!

Once you're done, change the country back to the UK :)

Have they already been increased? Just doing it and they don't seem that much cheaper. Pretty comparable axtually. GBA games are about 5.50....

Have they already been increased? Just doing it and they don't seem that much cheaper. Pretty comparable axtually. GBA games are about 5.50....

The Ruble exchange rate isn't as favorable this week but it should still be better than the UK eShop. I'm going to check it out for a couple more games now before it ends. I'll be back in a bit to report what I find.

Yep. They've all gone up. So gutted. Was ready to absolutely splurge.... Have about 20 games I was going to get :(

Got stealth 2 for £4 and that's as good as I found.

The Ruble exchange rate isn't as favorable this week but it should still be better than the UK eShop. I'm going to check it out for a couple more games now before it ends. I'll be back in a bit to report what I find.

If you find anything give us a shout. But I'm pretty sure they've gone up as others online are saying they've all gone up too.

Yep. They've all gone up. So gutted. Was ready to absolutely splurge.... Have about 20 games I was going to get :(

Got stealth 2 for £4 and that's as good as I found.

If you find anything give us a shout. But I'm pretty sure they've gone up as others online are saying they've all gone up too.

Yep, they've gone up. Sick. I thought it was happening tomorrow? The eShop games on special thankfully are still the same. Just bought Stealth Inc. 2. I expect it's because the special offers are under obligation for a certain time period whereas they were free to adjust the VC games. Disappointed because I was going to buy a few SNES and GBA games tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Yep, they've gone up. Sick. I thought it was happening tomorrow? The eShop games on special thankfully are still the same. Just bought Stealth Inc. 2. I expect it's because the special offers are under obligation for a certain time period whereas they were free to adjust the VC games. Disappointed because I was going to buy a few SNES and GBA games tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Yep. Same. Gutted! Oh well...

They've changed? Man I got really lucky then as I purchased Lego City Undercover, the new Shanty game and Stealth Inc 2 in one go around 8:30pm.

And now...back to UK prices :(

I can't remember exactly what the SNES prices were but the GBA games have gone from 319 to 525. That's roughly a 65% increase. :eek::o

It was fun while it lasted. I wish I'd known about it sooner, I only got 4 games from it.

I was wary of it at the start too. Really wanted to get the likes of Super Mario World and the first Zelda.

Mega Man Zero 2 for the GBA is the only real cheap game left at 279 Rubles. Edit: That's only because it's on special.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Re: the Russian eShop. Thinking of buying the Hyrule Warriors DLC in case the price goes up but I don't own the game and don't know when I'll buy it either but it won't be soon. 3rd party games and full retail Wii U downloads remain unaffected by the hike so far. It'll be interesting to see if anything more changes today when this weeks downloads go live.

This weeks downloads are as follows:

Wii U

Blek €5.49 / £4.49

Red Riding Hood €0.90 / £0.66

Wii U Virtual Console

Blaster Master €4.99 / £3.49

Mappy-Land €4.99 / £3.49

Price Reductions

Wii U

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte) €8.49 / £6.99 / CHF9.99 until 12.03.2015, 23:59 UTC.

Spy Chameleon (EnjoyUp Games) €3.99 / £3.59 / CHF5.60 until 05.03.2015, 23:59 UTC.

Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party (KnapNok Games) €3.99 / £3.99 / CHF4.99 until 26.02.2015, 23:59 UTC.

Knytt Underground™ (Ripstone Publishing) €3.99 / £3.99 / CHF6.00 until 26.02.2015, 23:59 UTC.

It could explain why this weeks downloads were so bad. They may be holding off until they get it sorted properly. Surely Nintendo have noticed a spike on the Russian eShop and a fall-off on the European version. Might be why we're not getting more Wii games just yet. If things aren't sorted, I'm going to buy Trine 2 for a second time. It's a great game but extremely difficult for me to play because I'm left handed.

Edit: Bought the Hyrule Warriors DLC. Worked out at €10 for the Hero Of Hyrule Pack and all the costume sets. So saved €9.

Edited by Wii