NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

If it's no cheaper elsewhere? Of course it is!

It's by far the cheapest way to get the game (and it is a more recently released one too, so of course the standard RRP shouldn't be something stupidly low like £8.99), so yes, it's a bargain. Simple.

So when the DS games come to the Wii U you wont see an issue with some of them being priced at say £17.99 considering some DS games still go for £20 - £30 at retail?

So when the DS games come to the Wii U you wont see an issue with some of them being priced at say £17.99 considering some DS games still go for £20 - £30 at retail?

They won't be £17.99 because Nintendo do tiered pricing for past gen games. Wii games represent the uppermost tier of pricing for that category, so DS games must be lower.

Since N64 games are £7.50 on Wii, DS games will be priced between £7.50-£17.99. They'll probably be around £9.99-12.99 for the standard price (games that were originally budget priced like the Brain Training games will probably be cheaper though).

That kind of price seems fair to me. Even in the context of DS re-releases on other platforms, like TWEWY on iOS, it's around the same price anyway - not to mention how much cheaper they would be compared to retail copies in general (and being able to avoid the myriad of dodgy counterfeit copies that currently pollute eBay...)

Edited by Dcubed

They won't be £17.99 because Nintendo do tiered pricing for past gen games. Wii games represent the uppermost tier of pricing for that category, so DS games must be lower.

Since N64 games are £7.50 on Wii, DS games will be priced between £7.50-£17.99. They'll probably be around £9.99-12.99 for the standard price (games that were originally budget priced like the Brain Training games will probably be cheaper though).

That kind of price seems fair to me. Even in the context of DS re-releases on other platforms, like TWEWY on iOS, it's around the same price anyway - not to mention how much cheaper they would be compared to retail copies in general (and being able to avoid the myriad of dodgy counterfeit copies that currently pollute eBay...)

But that wasn't the argument was it? You justified the Kirby price simply because a version on ebay is cheapest at £32.50. That same argument could be used for any game they release digitally couldn't it?

But that wasn't the argument was it? You justified the Kirby price simply because a version on ebay is cheapest at £32.50. That same argument could be used for any game they release digitally couldn't it?

Of course it could and I stand by that. If you want Kirby's Adventure Wii, where is the cheapest place you can get it from?

The answer of course is the eShop. It's pointless comparing it to prices of other games or HD remasters of older games (that are actually no longer selling at their original RRP mind you... The FF10 HD Collection wasn't £20 when it first came out...) because they're not the same game as what is on offer here.

If there was a cheaper version of Kirby's Adventure Wii available elsewhere, then the eShop price would be a ripoff. Hell I imported the game when it came out originally at full price and thought it was worth every single penny! (It's an amazing game BTW! One of my top 10 Wii games actually if you care to check out the list I made on this very site ;) )

For a game of that calibre? Hell yes it is well worth that price! It's a steal as far as I'm concerned!

Games are not just interchangable "things". Just because one is being sold cheaper with a few bells and whistles being added, it doesn't make it worth more than one that is older and untouched...

Edited by Dcubed

Of course it could and I stand by that. If you want Kirby's Adventure Wii, where is the cheapest place you can get it from?

I still don't know why you're standing by this line of reasoning...

Going back to the previous example, if Suikoden II was placed at £70 on PSN then by your logic that would be a bargain, since disc copies are going for £115. Except, in either case it's not a bargain. The same thing is happening here, albeit less extreme. Its price is beyond what most people would probably value it at; if people don't perceive something to be good value then it's generally not considered to be a bargain.

The FF10 HD Collection wasn't £20 when it first came out...)

Close enough

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0〈=en

£24 on release; £12 per game for HD remastered titles versus £17.99 for a single non remastered title here. I'm not trying to have a go, just putting some perspective on why I think this is not worth the asking price.

Games are not just interchangable "things". Just because one is being sold cheaper with a few bells and whistles being added, it doesn't make it worth more than one that is older and untouched...

Yeah I know. But if you look at PSN again, most regular PS1 games sell for a few pounds, while some more desirable/highly regarded games like the Final Fantasy titles are £7.99. There can be a range based on what kind of game it is, since people will pay a bit more for those really awesome games, but a £17.99 price tag for this game feels a bit too steep.

I still don't know why you're standing by this line of reasoning...

Going back to the previous example, if Suikoden II was placed at £70 on PSN then by your logic that would be a bargain, since disc copies are going for £115. Except, in either case it's not a bargain. The same thing is happening here, albeit less extreme. Its price is beyond what most people would probably value it at; if people don't perceive something to be good value then it's generally not considered to be a bargain.

It would be a bargain relative the typical asking price, but it would still be a ripoff because not only is it well above the typical asking price for a PS1 PSN game, but it would also be well above the original RRP when it first came out. Your example is just comical extortion. This however is a reasonable and non-extortionate price that is well below both its original RRP and the average asking price for a 2nd hand copy.

Close enough

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0〈=en

£24 on release; £12 per game for HD remastered titles versus £17.99 for a single non remastered title here. I'm not trying to have a go, just putting some perspective on why I think this is not worth the asking price.

Hardly fair to compare retailer deals and discounts VS RRP here... FF10 Collection's original RRP was £29.99 IIRC (each game was also available seperately for £19.99 at launch if I remember right as well - and that's the price you really should be comparing as it's the fairest comparison you can make between the two products on offer. Ala Carte is always more expensive than buying in bundles after all). Not to mention that they're much older games as well (2001/2003 respectively - vs a game that came out only in 2011), which have actually also had budget price releases before when they were added to Sony's Greatest Hits range. I'd hardly say that the FF10 collection is offering sweeping value that blows away what Nintendo are offering here... (and that's not even getting into the value you put into the games themselves either...)

Yeah I know. But if you look at PSN again, most regular PS1 games sell for a few pounds, while some more desirable/highly regarded games like the Final Fantasy titles are £7.99. There can be a range based on what kind of game it is, since people will pay a bit more for those really awesome games, but a £17.99 price tag for this game feels a bit too steep.

Of course to you it would feel steep. I highly doubt you have any real appreciation for quality platform games...

To someone who understands the value of a game like this though? Well worth the asking price. There's a good reason why it sells for such a high price on eBay and it's not even because of scarcity (it was a worldwide multi-million seller after all, so it's not even an issue of supply; unlike with the likes of Suikoden, which had a very low print run and only appreciated in value long after its initial release).

Oh and for the record, I'd actually say that many PS1 games are heavily undervalued on PSN. Sony made a mistake by setting the initial $6 price when they first started the service and set price expectations too low (hell that's why they introduced the upper tier eventually, because publishers rightly complained about their games being undervalued and low and behold, what games are the highest sellers on the PSN store? It's the more expensive ones like the FF games!)

The only fair barometers you can use here are the games' original RRPs and the current asking prices for new (or more likely) 2nd hand copies. In those respects, these prices are well below their original RRPs (we'll have to wait and see how they handle the games that were originally budget releases, like Wii Play, though...) and compared to asking prices elsewhere, generally speaking, the eShop is going to win out almost every time.

Therefore, these are generally bargain prices; even if you can't appreciate the games personally or understand why they have the value (and typical asking prices) that they do.

Edited by Dcubed

It would be a bargain relative the typical asking price, but it would still be a ripoff because not only is it well above the typical asking price for a PS1 PSN game, but it would also be well above the original RRP when it first came out. Your example is just comical extortion. This however is a reasonable and non-extortionate price.

It's not a bargain in any sense at £70 or £115. Just like this isn't a bargain here. Bargain is based on perception; a quick look around this topic and the other one where people are discussing this and you'll see people here don't think this is very good value. Small sample size yadayada but I think that is telling. Just because there are limited distributors it doesn't mean the cheapest seller is automatically offering a bargain.

Hardly fair to compare retailer deals and discounts VS RRP here... FF10 Collection's original RRP was £29.99 IIRC (each game was also available seperately for £19.99 at launch if I remember right as well).

Most sellers were selling it at £24, so that's the price we'll use for the sake of this point. It doesn't matter if they're not 'RRP' (don't even know what the RRP for it was anyway), because most games can be bought for well below RRP in physical form anyway (compared to digital where you're at the mercy of the price dictated by Nintendo).

Not to mention that they're much older games as well (2001/2003 respectively - vs a game that came out only in 2011), which have actually also had budget price releases before when they were added to Sony's Greatest Hits range. I'd hardly say that the FF10 collection is offering sweeping value that blows away what Nintendo are offering here... (and that's not even getting into the value you put into the games themselves either...)

It's a game that came out in 2014 because hey, it's a remaster. Work went into it, which in my opinion more than makes up for the fact the original games are older. And it's still considerably cheaper. And they were physical versions, with manufacturing costs.

I'm sorry, but S-E are offering immense value given both are 100+ hour epic games well loved by millions of people. Even if they're not your bag, no sense knocking something that clearly did something very right.

Of course to you it would feel steep. I highly doubt you have any real appreciation for quality platform games...

To someone who understands the value of a game like this though? Well worth the asking price. There's a good reason why it sells for such a high price on eBay and it's not even because of scarcity (it was a worldwide multi-million seller after all, so it's not even an issue of supply; unlike with the likes of Suikoden, which had a very low print run and only appreciated in value long after its initial release).

All you do by making assumptions like that is make yourself look big-headed. I'm sorry, but do you have any clue how snooty you come across when you say "Of course to you it would feel steep. I highly doubt you have any real appreciation for quality platform games". You sound like a condescending and arrogant snob. You also couldn't be more wrong, because it's no coincidence that I found my way to this site. My roots are very much old Nintendo.

And to be honest, my opinion this game is that it was...ok. I wouldn't say it was an incredibly high quality platform game. You want a high quality platform game? Mario 64, Rayman Legends, Mario Sunshine or Galaxy. That shit was tight.

Oh and for the record, I'd actually say that many PS1 games are heavily undervalued on PSN. Sony made a mistake by setting the initial $6 price when they first started the service and set price expectations too low (hell that's why they introduced the upper tier eventually, because publishers rightly complained about their games being undervalued and low and behold, what games are the highest sellers on the PSN store? It's the more expensive ones like the FF games!)

People buy the FF games because they're amazing and stood the test of time. The fact a lot of people bought them doesn't prove the higher price is right across the board. Most other games don't have the same prestige so it makes sense they would be lower.

Edited by Sheikah

Not much more I can really say :heh:

You love your selective quoting (talking about what constitutes a bargain while completely ignoring the entirety of the paragraph that you quoted... Way to dodge my point entirely there...) and hand waving away of perfectly valid points as usual (RRP vs RRP, bundle VS Ala Carte pricing - and no, that is not the Collector's Edition price. That is the RRP of the the Standard Edition. Just because certain retailers choose to discount, it does not change the fact that the RRP of the retail bundle was £29.99 and that each game individually was actually £19.99 on PSN).

You are skewing the facts to suit your own personal preference here as per usual. I argue facts, you argue personal feelings. Perfectly fine and you make some valid points, but it's hardly a fair comparison and you know it full well. You would think it only makes sense to compare things like for like... If you did, you would see why the pricing makes sense and why it can be seen by some as a bargain. If you're looking at things in context of other games that are undervalued and underpriced, then of course it's going to make these games look expensive. In a certain sense, Nintendo actually did that to themselves here by offering those initial discounts on SMG2, Metroid Prime Trilogy and DKCR. Now it makes these other Wii games look expensive by comparison, that's just how the market works; it doesn't change the fact that it is actually a bargain though, even if it might not look like it on the surface to you...

It's actually a very reasonable price for these games because they are well below the average market price for even 2nd hand copies of them (never mind brand new copies, where the price isn't even remotely comparable), but it looks expensive now to some because of how cheap everything else is these days (and because of the discounts that Nintendo offered before). It's a big problem that the industry as a whole is facing (and one that Nintendo really suffers from too), but just dropping the price isn't the answer because it just devalues these games when they do actually have significant value to them.

Edited by Dcubed

If you want Kirby's Adventure Wii, where is the cheapest place you can get it from?

The answer of course is the eShop.

It could be argued that the retail version is cheaper and better in so many ways. I could potentially buy a physical copy and sell it when I'm done playing it(thereby being no richer/poorer after the experience). I always have that option. Going digital, you don't have that choice. No lending, no changing your mind, it's tied to the console. Physical copies have the possibility of increasing in value in time, I doubt the same can be said of digital games.

Not much more I can really say :heh:

You love your selective quoting (talking about what constitutes a bargain while completely ignoring the entirety of the paragraph that you quoted... Way to dodge my point entirely there...)

Selective quoting, whut? You said 'it's a bargain in a sense that' then listed a reason that completely wasn't something that could make it a bargain (ie. availability). Even though you went on to say what didn't make it a bargain, that first part was pretty fair game for challenge.

and hand waving away of perfectly valid points as usual (RRP vs RRP, bundle VS Ala Carte pricing - and no, that is not the Collector's Edition price. That is the RRP of the the Standard Edition. Just because certain retailers choose to discount, it does not change the fact that the RRP of the retail bundle was £29.99 and that each game individually was actually £19.99 on PSN).

All reputable online retailers sold it for that. I got mine for even cheaper than that from ShopTo (<£24).

Your entire RRP argument here is pointless because ultimately it's the price that people can reasonably expect to buy these games at that alters their perception. If I can expect to buy 2 HD remasters at £24 in physical form then I would expect a non HD game released digitally to be even less. Or at very most the same, if you're going to argue it's technically a newer game. RRP isn't even something that factors.

You are skewing the facts to suit your own personal preference here as per usual. I argue facts, you argue personal feelings. Perfectly fine and you make some valid points, but it's hardly a fair comparison and you know it full well.

Ughhh. Man, you really can be testing with points like that.

You've said that a game being cheaper digitally than eBay makes it a bargain - how is that a fact? You said that I'm obviously not someone who would appreciate high quality platform games. Again, how is that a fact? (funny, I can discredit that one right now) You said @Wii would suggest they should be priced like app store prices. Again, fact? You argue that PS1 prices are underpriced. Again, fact or opinion? Opinions are fine, but recognise them as such, and don't pretend you present the refined and superior factual argument.

You would think it only makes sense to compare things like for like... If you did, you would see why the pricing makes sense and why it can be seen by some as a bargain.

I already acknowledged that games are not directly comparable. Don't you remember me saying that Final Fantasy titles rightly are priced higher on PSN than other games?

My point was that the scale Nintendo have their games sitting on is too high for me, and I imagine for many here who have said similar feel the same. £17.99 for this game is too high. They could have made it £12 and given space either side for more/less highly regarded games.

If you're looking at things in context of other games that are undervalued and underpriced, then of course it's going to make these games look expensive. In a certain sense, Nintendo actually did that to themselves here by offering those initial discounts on SMG2, Metroid Prime Trilogy and DKCR.

But here's the thing: everything in life is relative. If I see a game that is priced £50 on release, I view that as expensive and would wait for a price drop. I think this is expensive because I know how much other games cost, and I relate to them. I have in my mind a price I like to pay for games. For digital versions of old games, this is just too much, IMO.

It's actually a very reasonable price for these games, but it looks expensive now because of how cheap everything else is these days (and because of the discounts that Nintendo offered before). It's a big problem that the industry as a whole is facing (and one that Nintendo really suffers from too), but just dropping the price isn't the answer because it just devalues these games when they do actually have significant value to them.

I have to respectfully disagree here. I believe the time for them to charge this price was maybe a year or two after when it was first released, still in disc form. I believe that by lowering the price they would sell more and ultimately make more money.

Edited by Sheikah

It could be argued that the retail version is cheaper and better in so many ways. I could potentially buy a physical copy and sell it when I'm done playing it(thereby being no richer/poorer after the experience). I always have that option. Going digital, you don't have that choice. No lending, no changing your mind, it's tied to the console. Physical copies have the possibility of increasing in value in time, I doubt the same can be said of digital games.

This is an excellent point, and the main reason my gut instinct about retail downloads is that they're overpriced.

I downloaded Code of Princess and Conception II on eShop (only option) and felt neither were really worth it. I also got a couple of Nintendo's own free (Super Mario 3D Land, Animal Crossing: New Leaf) but have deleted the latter. That's three retail downloads I either have or will delete, and get nothing back for.

On the other hand, I don't feel this way about made-for-download titles like Shantae 2 & 3, Shovel Knight and Steamworld Dig, because I generally think there is no intentional greed with them.

Like anything though, if Nintendo can get people to pay that much then fair enough. My gut instinct though is that they're too high.

Does anybody know a good online store where you can buy eshop credit and the code is mailed to you directly

(as opposed to the company having you send an actual card)?

Also does anybody have an idea if eshop cards are compatible with all PAL areas, or does the country has to match as well?

(As in would a code from the UK work on a Belgian system, even though there is a different currency?)

Edited by M_rock

With VC games that aren't selling well they should consider amiibo sales, so scan in the appropriate amiibo and get an extra 10/20/30% off the game.

Punchout for £2.45 if you scan in little mac for example. Big mac would give you punchout, super punchout and punchout wii discounts, Fox/Falco Starwing, lylat wars, starfox adventures, starfox assault etc.

Say Fox outsold the Falco amiibo maybe they could give a greater discount to the few Falco owners, or even allow stacking, so 10% off for fox, 20% for falco and then 30% if you scan both...

Anyway, they know what margins they can afford, I think a sale like that would be good for giving an incentive to purchase amiibo figurines who are less popular, and actually shifting some of the less popular vc games.

I get that the prices reflect the work that has gone into emulating those titles, but if a game sells 0 copies, it doesn't matter if the price is £10 or £1000. Get a few sales with a lower profit and at least try to break even!

Amiibo discounts are a great idea, @Pestneb, and provide a great incentive to buy more Amiibo and more VC games :hehe:

As for the price of the Wii games on Wii U, I'll have to admit that I'm unlikely to pick any of them up unless it's a game I want that I don't already own, such as Excitebots. Having said that, I'm obviously more likely to bite with something priced £8.99 as opposed to the £17.99 price tag that these Wii games will be going for.

I guess it ultimately is down to Nintendo to figure out the price point that is going to make them the most money but I'd say it is probably more likely that you'd get more than twice the attach rate from selling at £8.99 than double that figure.. ::shrug:

I can understand the argument in comparing prices to that of prices on ebay and such, which is probably why I was happy enough to pay a slightly higher than standard price for PS1 game Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation Store, but I still wouldn't have downloaded it if the price had been too high. I suspect £17.99 is..

It wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo ever have Virtual Console sale after the initial launch, its rare that they do. When they do its linked to buying multiple...

£17.99 for a digital rerelease is steep for some games, and that therein lies the issue, unless you value the original game you won't want to pay £17.99, very few Wii Games do i think are worth of that price tag, but its obviously the default price regardless of quality, when/if we start receiving some of the shovleware at that price, do i expect people to complain on mass

26th Feb 2015 Wii U eShop releases;

Wii U eShop

SDK Paint (HullBreach Studios, €4.49 / £3.99)

Wii U Virtual Console

Pac-Attack (Bandai Namco, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49) – 60Hz US version.

Cybernator (Konami, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49) – 60Hz US version.

Wii U DLC

Hyrule Warriors (Koei Tecmo, €2.99 / £2.69, or free with a Season Pass) – Boss Challenge and Ganon’s Fury Modes with five new alternatively-coloured costumes as rewards.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Rock Zombie (EnjoyUp Games, €3.99 / £3.59 until 26th March, regular price €6.99 / £6.29)

HOT DIGGETY!

DKC, DKC 2 and DKC 3 have been released on the Wii U eShop in the US! I don't know about the UK... but still, YAY!

HOT DIGGETY!

DKC, DKC 2 and DKC 3 have been released on the Wii U eShop in the US! I don't know about the UK... but still, YAY!

They've been out here for ages.

HOT DIGGETY!

They've been on the European Wii U eShop for quite some time now.

You're 4 months late.

Fixed for you. ;)

Blok Drop X Twisted Fusion is coming out next week on the Wii U eShop, March 5th, priced at €2.99.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

This weeks eShop downloads.

OlliOlli (Curve Digital) - €8.49/£6.79 (Ends March 19, regular price €9.99/£7.99. Users who download the game on Wii U can download the Nintendo 3DS version for free, and vice versa, providing the systems are linked with the same Nintendo Network ID)

OlliOlli mixes addictive one-life gameplay with over 120 tricks and grinds across 50 deviously crafted levels, 250 Challenges, Spots Mode and Daily Grind. Not enough for you? Complete all challenges to unlock the super skilful RAD Mode! Rack up the biggest and coolest combos along the way then time your landing to perfection to rule the leader-boards. Compete across the world in all modes to get the highest scores on every Level and Spot. Daily Grind gives you 24 hours to challenge the world at a randomly selected Spot. You can practice as many times as you like, but you only get one chance to set your score. Just don't slam on your face... (you will slam on your face!)

BLOK DROP X TWISTED FUSION (RCMADIAX) - €2.99/£2.69

BLOK DROP X TWISTED FUSION mixes a fantasy world with physics based puzzle mechanics to create an entirely new adventure. Guide the "GoGo" to safety by destroying the nearby enemies and clearing the gameboards of all remaining "bloks". 50 levels in all to be unlocked make this adventure a challenging one even for seasoned puzzle fanatics.

Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll (Culture Brain, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

In a remote region of China, wise martial arts teacher Juan is attacked, and robbed of his precious scrolls. When his apprentice Ryuhi learns that the gang responsible is taking part in the World Tournament of Contact Sports, he vows to avenge his master and retrieve the scrolls. Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll is a unique mix of platformer and fighting game. Battle your way to the next round of the tournament through side-scrolling action sections, and then defeat your opponents in the ring using a range of defensive and offensive moves. This is the US version of the game.

Kung-Fu Heroes (Culture Brain, NES VC) - €4.99/£3.49

Kung-Fu Heroes is a comical action game starring Jacky and Lee; two martial arts masters who must save a princess and retrieve treasure when monsters attack their land. Battle your way through eight castles, each with four stages, packed with traps, enemies and obstacles. Search the stones and rocks within the levels to reveal bonus stages and maybe even shortcuts to other castles. Only your quick wits and reflexes will see you through to the final castle, and to secure the princess's safety. This is the US version of the game.

Special offers

Master Reboot (Wales Interactive) - €5.99/£4.99 (Ends April 1, regular price €11.99/£9.99)

Tengami (Nyamyam) - €3.99/£3.49 (Ends March 12, regular price €7.99/£6.99)

Thanks Nintendo for another crap week of releases and offers.