Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U Price Check

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I genuinely think Off-TV Play is the best thing about the Wii U. If only they'd have made sure it applied to all games, they could have sold it as "The console that doesn't need a TV".

Anyway, it's a very good offer. Sort of glad I won't have enough time to go and pick one up over the next few days, as I think I would!

See, I genuinely think Off-TV Play is the best thing about the Wii U. If only they'd have made sure it applied to all games, they could have sold it as "The console that doesn't need a TV".

Anyway, it's a very good offer. Sort of glad I won't have enough time to go and pick one up over the next few days, as I think I would!

Yeah, but the games that don't use it don't use it for a reason...

Oh holy fuck, that Wii U price at HMV sounds good! It's even cheaper than buying it here in Japan >__<

Ah well, good thing I'm over here and can't buy one, I've bought so much video game related stuff over the past year. I should probably stop myself from buying any new releases until I clear my entire backlog.

Why sacrifice the possibilities that a second screen opens up to gameplay, just to unimaginatively mirror what happens on the tv in your lap on the rare occasions you can't use a tv.

I can't really understand the appeal.

I like console gaming on a big screen to get fully lost and caught up in the game.

Putting a console game on a handheld... surely looses some of the wonder, and why not just play the 3DS.

I feel the same. It really wouldnt bother me if no games had off tv play and the pad was instead used to enhance all games. I have the 3DS to play games in my hand and if anything I feel pushing off tv play simply makes it harder in trying to tell people what the Wii U actually is. I tried it a couple times to see what it was like and the streaming tech is impressive but I dont think its a USP simply because handhelds exist as do tablets.

I'd just rather wait until the TV was free tbh, even if it wasn't for a few days or something.

But I really need my gaming fix! I love the off-TV feature, it's my favourite feature of the console... of any console actually!

Oh holy fuck, that Wii U price at HMV sounds good! It's even cheaper than buying it here in Japan >__<

Ah well, good thing I'm over here and can't buy one, I've bought so much video game related stuff over the past year. I should probably stop myself from buying any new releases until I clear my entire backlog.

Indeed. I got my Japanese Wii U for £250 inc. delivery. Bargain

£199 is tempting... I had in my head to buy one once it went below 200 heh. If I wasn't still pretty much bedridden I'd go to HMV to check it out.

Does anyone know what bundles go at this price? And if it will be in all HMV stores?

If you want a Wii U and those games, that's a stonking deal. I guess whilst underperforming Nintendo systems have been known for price drops not long after launch, at least it wasn't by Nintendo's doing this time so they can't be held entirely responsible even if they accept they could have done a better launch.

But much like Retro, even at £199 with those two games, I'd be buying one because I doubt it would be that cheap again when I wanted one and not because I actually want one now. I'd rather pay £199 later for the machine with one game I wanted, and knowing there were more out there I do want, than to pay £199 and get two I don't. I guess I could look to part ex them against MH but it still doesn't feel like enough of a reason given my general lack of interest in the existing and future lineup.

£199 is tempting... I had in my head to buy one once it went below 200 heh. If I wasn't still pretty much bedridden I'd go to HMV to check it out.

Does anyone know what bundles go at this price? And if it will be in all HMV stores?

According to the article over at Eurogamer, the spokesperson for HMV said it's "while stocks last in all HMV stores not earmarked for closure" and was due to start selling on Monday but they've gone ahead today.

As for what bundles go at this price... well none do. Up until now the best deal has been ASDA's £255 with NintendoLand and Mario Bros - except for the Amazon misprice pre-launch that is. But you could still buy this bundle and get Mario Bros (£30 at the Hut) seperately and come in well under that price and with an extra game to boot.

I have no idea if the HMV is closing or not heh. I think the one in town is still staying open.

By bundle I mean whatever game is included, nothing extra. I think currently Jim and I are only interested in ZombiU (maybe Nintendoland for me). So according to the Eurogamer article, we could get those two games and a premium WiiU for £200?

*tempted*

I have no idea if the HMV is closing or not heh. I think the one in town is still staying open.

By bundle I mean whatever game is included, nothing extra. I think currently Jim and I are only interested in ZombiU (maybe Nintendoland for me). So according to the Eurogamer article, we could get those two games and a premium WiiU for £200?

*tempted*

It's the Premium Wii U Console + ZombiU & NintendoLand for £200

UPDATE: HMV has told CVG that the discount deal will take effect nationwide from March 25 and will only be available while stock lasts.

So yeah, get it while it's hot people!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/397465/hmv-slashes-uk-wii-u-premium-bundle-to-pound200/

Edited by -Dem0-

I saw this thread when I was just packing up for work at about 6 o'clock last night. I drove to Castlepoint where there is a HMV in the hope that they had this deal. Unfortunately, it's the HMV that is closing down, so no deal. No WiiUs even.

There's one in town. I will try there. If I see it, I'm having it! 200 quid for a WiiU and ZombiU? Yes. Fucking. Please.

Feeling a bit of a mug on the ASDA deal now!

The ASDA deal was great. Hell, I almost bought it on Thursday night because it was so cheap. Nobody saw this HMV insanity coming.

There's one in town. I will try there. If I see it, I'm having it! 200 quid for a WiiU and ZombiU? Yes. Fucking. Please.

Maybe call them and reserve one? I'm pretty sure people have been doing that.

Edited by Guy

The ASDA deal was great. Hell, I almost bought it on Thursday night because it was so cheap. Nobody saw this HMV insanity coming.

Yeah, this HMV deal came out of nowhere. It's insane no matter how you look at it. The ASDA deal is a sensibly great deal. HMV are lunatics over this one.

You recently got yours right? Was it the HMV deal?

Yeah, I was feeling the Monster Hunting itch and sat debating just ordering one from ASDA on Thursday night. Managed to resist somehow and at work I randomly happened to see the HMV deal kicking about on HotUKDeals.

I called one store (Westfield, Shepherds Bush branch) and the dude had no idea what I was talking about. To be fair it did sound like I was making it all up and we both kind of acknowledged how fishy it sounded. Fortunately I work around the corner from the Oxford Street HMV and ran down there on lunch to see what was going on.

The dude at the counter and I spent five minutes surprised at how low the price was, still can't believe how cheap it was.

---

If push came to shove, you could technically buy the HMV Premium pack and return it to ASDA with the copy of Mario (I doubt it'd even matter too much if Mario was opened). Just say someone bought you the system as a surprise and you don't want two. I used to do that all the time when I ordered a game online and it never arrived on release. Just bought a new copy from a store and returned the sealed one that arrived in the post a few days later.

Hell, even buying a copy of Mario new and sending that one back would probably result in you breaking even. You'd be getting a copy anyway, right?

Edited by Guy