N-Europe

Facebook forces its own email to show on your profile

Mokong

Just thought I'd post here for any N-E'ers who use facebook.

If you have an email visible on your profile's "info" page (or "about" page if you're on Timeline) facebook it seems has taken it on themselves to change whatever you had listed as your email to their own @facebook.com email.

eg: "[email protected]"

So if you prefer having your gmail, hotmail or whatever email you use for emails displayed in your profile best go check now to see if you'll have to switch it back.

The @facebook.com emails don't even work or do anything.

Had this come up on my Facebook yesterday.

Didn't even know Facebook had an email system?

It also give your homepage a unique number so people can find you easier or something.

You can change it to a username.

The @facebook.com emails don't even work or do anything.

From what I gather if you sent an email to someones "@facebook.com" they would get it in their Facebook PM's

Which is very silly as the FB, PM system is FAR from being usable as an email system.

No idea though how you are meant to send an email to a non-facebook email from your PM's :heh:

And within facebook you'd just be sending PM's as PM's

No idea why they made an email address when they didn't make a proper email system to go with it :heh:

I'm not bothered, I removed my primary email address from being on display to avoid getting junk etc....so for me that's fine.

So did I but even if you hid your own email from yoru profile this FB email will appear so you can potentially get that junk in you Facebook PM's now so you might want to go and hide that too :wink:

I honestly couldn't care less about this. Why is everyone up in arms about it?

Some people might want their own email displayed so they can be contacted through that for various reasons or as an alternative means of contact other than facebook PM's.

Others like Flameboy mentioned above may have hidden their email to avoid junk and facebook now will have placed "your" FB email in your contact info instead so you could potentially now get that junk in your FB messages.

Some people might want their own email displayed so they can be contacted through that for various reasons or as an alternative means of contact other than facebook PM's.

Others like Flameboy mentioned above may have hidden their email to avoid junk and facebook now will have placed "your" FB email in your contact info instead so you could potentially now get that junk in your FB messages.

You can still display your own email address if you want to.

No one is going to send it junk though as the only people who can see it, unless your profile is public, are your Facebook friends.

And anyway, if you want to email people on Facebook you could always get this address as it is [email protected]

But emails sent to @facebook.com emails never arrive. You don't even get a "failed" response...they just vanish into nothingness.

So did I but even if you hid your own email from yoru profile this FB email will appear so you can potentially get that junk in you Facebook PM's now so you might want to go and hide that too :wink:

Cheers! Anything that aids the avoidance of waking up to a million dumb emails is good in my eyes!

People are in arms because Facebook is changing your profile without your permission and your knowledge. If you want to have your email there for everyone to see that is your choice, and for Facebook to just change it without telling you is ridiculous. It's like if it changed your phone number on the page. Sure you can change it back, but who goes around checking their profiles every day to see if their information is still the same as they think it should be.

People are in arms because Facebook is changing your profile without your permission and your knowledge. If you want to have your email there for everyone to see that is your choice, and for Facebook to just change it without telling you is ridiculous. It's like if it changed your phone number on the page. Sure you can change it back, but who goes around checking their profiles every day to see if their information is still the same as they think it should be.

I do often check my profile but its more when I add a new person. I think being in a profession where I don't want every detail of my life being out that means I add friends from work so therefore not being rude but also meaning professional relationships/standards are still maintained.

Tbh I actually noticed this about 3/4 days ago and pretty much tested it straight away. Coincidentally this thread then popped up and I was surprised when I read it as I thought it might have happened ages ago and I only just noticed. Changing a phone number isn't quite the same, as it's a bit more arbitrary/limited and it'd be difficult for them to change it to something still valid to yourself given the limitations of phone numbers in general.

Here you go: http://lifehacker.com/5921095/facebook-just-changed-your-email-without-permission-heres-how-to-get-it-back

1. Click "About" on your profile and scroll down to your email address. Click "Edit" to change them.

2. Click on the circle next to your Facebook email address and change its setting to "Hidden From Timeline".

3. Click on the circle next to your other email addresses and change their settings to "Shown On Timeline".

4. Click the Save button at the bottom of the Edit popup (Don't forget this step).

It's slightly annoying how they keep changing stuff (like privacy settings) of their own volition.