NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

He had a hand in both goals, but Robben was clearly the provider for the first and Ribery back-heeled the ball into his stride for the second. It's definitely more Robben than Ribery. Which, from what I have seen, is how it is for the majority of Bayern's games. Robben is the better player, by far.

Surprised Liverpool are in for Kolo. Not a bad signing, but he doesn't really fit in with what Brendan Rodgers is trying to do. Personally, I wouldn't bother and would rather see that squad place go to somebody younger.

He's there to try and fill the space Carra has left. He's a good leader with experience playing at the top level, I'd be surprised if he stayed longer than the 2 years he's contracted to.

Solid free signing. We will be getting in a younger CB aswell, most likely Papadopoulos from Schalke. If we sign him and a winger, I'll be happy, but I reckon there'll be 1 or 2 more, as I'm assuming they'll be no outgoing.

I agree, Kolo's not too shabby a signing for free.

I'd like to think our transfer business will be a simple as you say but I don't think it will be. I agree less is more, but I'm sure we'll sign 3 or 4 slightly obscure youngish players that will probably never see the first team, and we'll probably sign them for a couple of mil each, which doesn't sound too bad, until we loan them out for almost their entire contract before we end up releasing them for free.

I dunno there have still been rumours that Downing may be off despite doing better during the second half of the season and I definitely wouldnt be surprised to see Skrtel head off.

I think Rodgers will respect Downings effort the last few months, but I think it will be a case of if he can get somebetter to replace Downing he will let him go. Personally I'd try to keep him, then if he doesn't get many games then think about letting him go in Jan or next season for his own sake.

Surprised Liverpool are in for Kolo. Not a bad signing, but he doesn't really fit in with what Brendan Rodgers is trying to do. Personally, I wouldn't bother and would rather see that squad place go to somebody younger.

I know what you're saying, but we have a young centre back in Coates and I think a guy like him needs experience beside him, and we can't rely on Agger for that as he's quite injury prone. I see the Kolo signing as free experience, he's probably got a couple of seasons still in him and hopefully guys like Wisdom, Kelly and Coates will learn from him, the way I'd assume they would have from Carragher.

I agree, Kolo's not too shabby a signing for free.

I'd like to think our transfer business will be a simple as you say but I don't think it will be. I agree less is more, but I'm sure we'll sign 3 or 4 slightly obscure youngish players that will probably never see the first team, and we'll probably sign them for a couple of mil each, which doesn't sound too bad, until we loan them out for almost their entire contract before we end up releasing them for free.

I think Rodgers will respect Downings effort the last few months, but I think it will be a case of if he can get somebetter to replace Downing he will let him go. Personally I'd try to keep him, then if he doesn't get many games then think about letting him go in Jan or next season for his own sake.

I know what you're saying, but we have a young centre back in Coates and I think a guy like him needs experience beside him, and we can't rely on Agger for that as he's quite injury prone. I see the Kolo signing as free experience, he's probably got a couple of seasons still in him and hopefully guys like Wisdom, Kelly and Coates will learn from him, the way I'd assume they would have from Carragher.

I'd love to see Wisdom and Kelly get a chance at CB, seeing as it's their actual position. Even Sama is getting closer to a chance, he was on the bench for one of the latter games if i remember right.

We have so much young talent, if just half of them reach their potential, we will have a very good squad.

(I know it's a secondary discussion now, but I do want to add my vote to the "riberry is a but of a cunt" motion. He was a nasty player at times, and dives and feels like he somehow deserves stuff. Yeah.)

I miss football already

(I know it's a secondary discussion now, but I do want to add my vote to the "riberry is a but of a cunt" motion. He was a nasty player at times, and dives and feels like he somehow deserves stuff. Yeah.)

I miss football already

So do I. At least there's some crappy internationals this week.

I'd love to see Wisdom and Kelly get a chance at CB, seeing as it's their actual position. Even Sama is getting closer to a chance, he was on the bench for one of the latter games if i remember right.

We have so much young talent, if just half of them reach their potential, we will have a very good squad.

I was thinking the other day Kelly might be our new Carragher, not a glamourous position but I think he's one of our most promising young players. (I'm sure he'll end up at centre back evetually.)

I also have high hopes for Sterling too.

It's a massacre in here...

Not been hiding, been away for a couple of weeks. Convenient timing... :)

Getting ready for the England vs Rep of Ireland game

First game between us since that awful incident in Dublin in 95 when you lot got upset after going a goal down :heh:

Hopefully we'll get a full game tonight with no incidents....

I'd say we'll get a good sense of what kind of atmosphere is in the stadium when the anthems are sung... hopefully it'll be good.

In the next 2 weeks Ireland have 4 games only one of them is a qualifier and for the fans only one of those four games matters....and it ain't the qualifier :wink: haha

Honestly though with recent results I'd be happy with a draw, hard to see Ireland taking a win. Though our starting line up doesn't fill me with much confidence, can't believe Robbie Keane is still starting (and captain no less) he's not got the stamina anymore to be a starter at international level.

Unless England don't give the game 100% as they are looking forward to teh friendly with Brazil and that sees them slip up a bit tonight and give us a better chance, haha.... that's what I'm hoping for so :awesome:

:D

php7IfvljAM1-630x332.jpg

EDIT

Well anthems over, all seemed nice and friendly, didn't get that sense of tension from 18 years ago so yay, lets have a good match next :D

EDIT2

COME ON SHANE LONG

Dream start 13mins in.... can we last the rest of the game though?

EDIT3

And England equalise, 1-1, horrid defending from Ireland, same crap as usual, take a lead then they step back, saw it coming :(

Won't be any trouble, no one in England gives a toss about Ireland.

Maybe but giving history and the FA sending letters to ticket holders you never know what could happen.

All it takes is a few knob head extremists from either side as what happened in 95 (I still have vivid memories watching that on TV)

No such signs of a repeat though and the match is pretty good so far too :)

EDIT

Just seen this on twitter

trolling_zps44f2c4a7.jpg

Thought she might have been trolling first but on follow up seems she was serious and quickly took some flack for it and has now deleted the comment :heh:

And she not American either (sterotyping I know but it was what I expected :heh:) she from England *facepalm*

EDIT2

And it's over 1-1 draw and a good game too

Said before it started I'd be happy with a draw and I am.

Typical (Trapitoni) Ireland performance again though, get an early 1 goal lead then try to sit on it, let the other team have all the possession and one moment of a lapse in concentration and it you give away a silly goal.

Could have taken the lead in the 2nd half there if we had been a bit luckier in that goalmouth scramble moment. Have Simon Cox been able to just get out of the way or not been there it would have just rolled in. Ah well.

Was dissappointed we didn't seem to push for a 2nd goal more. They kept playing the long ball and giving it away and even when they tried to play normal passes a lot of them just went so wrong... get the feeling Trap doesn't even talk about normal passing at training :heh:

England had a fair few chances in the 2nd half and a lot of them I was covering my eyes (but peeking through fingers) expecting England to score but Coleman was bossing the defence and David Forde made some great saves near the end there.

Again I would call to suspect some of Traps sub choices. Left Holohan on the bench WTF?

Good game though and happy not to lose :D

EDIT3

Ah that Jessica-Jane girl from Twitter seems to have deleted her account now.... twitter can be harsh when you're that thick.

Just seen this pic of a reply she made to one person before realising she was thick

BLdd5WhCQAEjyQu.jpg

It's prolly for the best she deleted her account

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

Oh, Mokong, I think you're probably one of the few who cared about this game. Including the players. :laughing:

Watched a few minutes of it and then left to go and play squash. Just for once, I'd love it if England played exciting football, rather than this boring and predictable sideways guff.

Oh, Mokong, I think you're probably one of the few who cared about this game. Including the players. :laughing:

You know by now I always care bout my internationals : peace:

You know by now I always care bout my internationals : peace:

They're a pain in the arse a lot of the time, to be honest. It only really gets interesting when it's during a big competition. I haaaate poorly placed friendlies right in the middle of the season, or qualifiers where you can tell that the players really don't give a shit. Plus, you always expect one or two to pick up problematic injuries, especially if you're an Arsenal fan. :p

I don't even know why I watch England internationals/friendlies. I don't understand the people who pay to watch them. I am still not sure if it some cruel joke that ITV picked Bittersweet Symphony as their England coverage song.

I don't even know why I watch England internationals/friendlies. I don't understand the people who pay to watch them. I am still not sure if it some cruel joke that ITV picked Bittersweet Symphony as their England coverage song.

I don't know exactly what's happened, because some of my fondest memories as a kid were from watching England play. Euro 96 is one of the highlights of my childhood, as well as France 98. Somehow, the pride has been lost, with the fans, players and management.

I don't know exactly what's happened, because some of my fondest memories as a kid were from watching England play. Euro 96 is one of the highlights of my childhood, as well as France 98. Somehow, the pride has been lost, with the fans, players and management.

Don't get me wrong, tournaments are a different matter, I look forward to them. Until Rob Green fumbles and we draw with the US and then the familiar feeling of depression sets in.

I would say nostalgia plays a huge part in Euro 96 and France 98 being highlights of your childhood, I share the same feelings. Being hosts of the 96 championship colours the tournament massively, the knockout games were awful. 4 games from the QFs and SFs went to penalties, 6 goals scored from open play in 6 games. It also helps that England did well and went out in tragi-comic fashion like Italia 90.

I think World Cup 98 was a genuinely good world cup, Croatia were a great story and there were quite a few members of the Brazil team in their prime. Losing to Romania in that tournament was gutting, but resulted in that game against Argentina. True to form we went out in a memorable way.

Almost everything was better in the 90's, though :hmm:

Just for once, I'd love it if England played exciting football, rather than this boring and predictable sideways guff.

I think that's a pitfall of the 442 system. It's so dated, look at the top European clubs, none of them play it anymore. They're all about the 433/451, a fluid formation that is constantly changing.

I think that players just don't care about playing for their country anymore. You can players like David Beckham who obviously loved it and gave it his all, but on the whole, there's no one like that.

Right now in the England team there's really no one who's going to take the game by the scruff of the neck and encourage the guys to pull a performance out the bag. Carrick isn't that sort of player and Lampard, although still a great player, is getting on.

Hodgson needs to be looking to replace Lampard (and Gerrard) with young players who will actually be able to take part in future campaigns and tournaments.

They're a pain in the arse a lot of the time, to be honest. It only really gets interesting when it's during a big competition. I haaaate poorly placed friendlies right in the middle of the season,

Well most friendlies do serve a purpose though. If all internationals were competitive/qualifiers managers would rarely get a chance to try new players/tactics in a "safe" situation.

They also allow teams to play against teams they wouldn't normally get a chance to play (usually... well that's teh idea anyway yet alot of our friendlies are still vs other European nations... though I guess they are meant to be similar nations to what we face in qualifiers).

Look at yer next friendly, how often would you get to play against Brazil afterall.

The friendlies I don't agree with though are the ones that are obviously set up to line someones pockets. Granted last nights game might have been a bit about that too but stuff like when a game doesn't even take place in one of teh countries competing.

Like our friendly with Spain on June 11th.... it's in New York? New York? That makes little sense to me. Or even end of last summer we had a friendly with Oman at Fulhams stadium....huh?

Was good to see last nights game did draw a good crowd and there was a good atmosphere, I enjoyed hearing chants from both sides.

Afterall games like last night are as close as we could get to "derby" matches in internationals. I would like to see more happen... hell I'd like to see a Six Nations style tournament for the football like the Rugby has.

I know there was a tournament tried was it last year or the year before (sans England) but it was so poorly organised it was never gonna become regular. Having all matches hosted in the one place was just stupid. They should have followed the Six Nations style of fixtures that would have worked out much better and have the matches take place instead of friendlies (so you aren't adding extra matches to the calender) and have it be every 2 years say.

or qualifiers where you can tell that the players really don't give a shit.

Well that really is the players at fault. Personally I do prefer internationals to club football, still enjoy good club matches of course (good football is good football whatever form it comes in) but I just feel like competing for ones country should be what every player strives for.

I know the club stuff is their job and where they earn their money but to see players not give it their all for their national side makes me a little sad :(

As Charlie mentioned above Beckham is a great example, sure he moved to LA for the money but he knew with the different season timeline he could lose his England place during the MLS off season so went on loan to Real, meaning he got no holiday and did his all to try keep his spot.

Robbie Keane did the same after his first seaosn in the MLS but has since realised that

A: It doesn't matter if he is playing or not, he is one of Traps favoured players and would get picked regardless

and B: Nobody in Europe prolly wanted him anyway :heh:

Was a shame Beckham was forced into international retirement rather than calling it a day on his own, he really did enjoy playing for England.

Would there be many other English players that would do the same to keep their England spots.

Or move to a new club to improve their international chances rather than their own personal gain if they weren't getting a regular start (granted English players prolly wouldn't have as much issue there as Irish players have).

I do feel when it comes to internationals the majority of Irish players want to play for Ireland and have more pride in doing so than some other players from other countries.... Even though on paper we should be highly outclassed in most games (and sometimes still are, see Germany game and last summer :() our players seem to be able to pull together better than most to create results that on paper would be considered above them.

I said before the game yesterday I'd be happy with a draw cause I was thinking England would prolly run all over us. And they did for the most part in teh 2nd half, least ye could actually pass the ball a bit and were attacking.

Though there did seem to be a lack of desire to really go for it... with possible exception of DeFoe I seemed to feel worried every time he had the ball more so than when someone like Rooney had it, cause he seemed to be really threatening for a goal.

Not saying Ireland seemed to want the game more last night either. They were great in the first 15mins, and we got a great goal but after that they were just content to sit on it which lead to an equaliser and in the 2nd half seemed content to try and sit on the draw and just let England come at them. Again this is just bad tactics from management which like you say about wanting to see England change I too want to see Ireland change (which would require management change).

Trap is of the mentality that so long as you don't lose then all is great and is content to play for a draw. While yeah a draw is of course better than losing, when you are winning a game and end up drawing because you tried to sit back is a different story.

And I'm not talking bout last night, happens all too often in qualifiers which will cost us in the end. See the Austria game as most recent example. Winning 2-1, content to sit on it and let Austria control the ball to see them equalise in injury time.... there's only so much parking a bus can stop :heh:

I do get what you say bout injuries though but to be fair a player could get injured in any game at any time you never know.

Though if a player played when he was obviously carrying a knock that is a different story and is down to bad international management.

Look at Richard Dunne, he was injured going into the Euros last summer but Trap being Trap and unable to accept that he would have to play new players as he likes sticking with his favourites did all he could to get Dunne "match fit". Match fit and cleared he may have been but it was obvious he was still not 100% and ended up agrivating his injury which saw him miss the whole of last season and now he's been let go by Villa.

Can't see him getting picked up by another Prem team and will prolly drop down to championship, feel sorry for him.

Edited by Mokong

Welcome back dazzy!

I think it was best I was away :) Devastating end to the season. I was in Cannes, only live match I could find was Arsenal Newcastle.

But i'm telling you - NEXT SEASON!!!!!! ;)

All you English (and respective other nations) and you're international moans and groans. Amplify that by a million and you're almost Scottish.