NEurope
Dog-amoto

Football Season 2012/2013

Really though? The side / back views look like a rugby tackle, nowhere near the ball! It's a joke that it's the same ref who came to Spurs training ground and had a word with Bale about diving earlier this year. Can't be giving a yellow for that when you're halfway down the pitch. And don't get me started on the blatant handball by in the box by Cuellar in the second half.

Could easily have panned out differently at Newcastle if we'd been given the penalty, pile on the pressure etc. Of course equally Arsenal could have won anyway but, you know.

#notoverit

Word on the grapevine / bbc sport is that Bale's signing a new contract with a 50m release clause that activates next summer. Given the reason a lot of Spurs fans wanted champs league was to stop Bale leaving this summer, I'm happy enough with that.

I maybe downplaying it, but suggesting it's a rugby tackle is absurd. He's jostling and holding his arm, yes. However Bale only goes down once his foot clips Larsson's knee. Once he feels that contact, which he initiated, he throws himself down. You can see why the ref gave the yellow card, dramatic fall and previous.

As for the penalty having bearing on our game. Not at all. All we had to was win our game, doesn't matter what happened elsewhere. None of the Arsenal bench knew the scores in the other games until it was over.

I mean lets just for the moment ignore that the first penalty that wasn't given was in the first half, and that shockingly the players probably would have heard from someone at half time that Spurs were one nil up. Clearly they wouldn't have been 'none the wiser', as I'm sure you realise. And of course the mentality would have been affected - there's suddenly twice as much pressure to get a goal in a then-relatively-short space of time. (As I said Arsenal still could have won)

So lets take the second half one - I mean we are in 2013 not the 80s - the entire crowd would have known, as every other person has access to a smartphone with the BBC news feed. Reckon the players might notice a weird shift in atmosphere? Or any of the coaching staff making it clear that they now definitely needed a goal? They're not a bunch of oblivious idiots. Please.

Yeah, heard that one. Really bizarre. But there we go.

The crowd wouldn't have made a difference, especially if they'd been mistaken with what the score was....

That wouldn't affect the players. I know from playing myself that all you do is worry about what you can control, you worry about the rest afterwards. Arsenal were always under pressure to score, regardless if you lot were 6-0 up inside 15 minutes. The fact you lot hadn't score wasn't relevant, as you could have scored at anytime. Arsenal were never going to be safe with a draw.

Bale didn't dive, there was contact and he was probably looking for it, but he's entitled to go down and take the penalty.

Whether it is a penalty or not, Gareth "I'm entitled to go down" Bale is reaping what he has sown. Anyway, the whole thing is a moot point because Tottenham's destiny was not in their hands, thanks to them successfully throwing away their place in the top four several games ago.

Anyway, I'm dubious over why a team that finishes 4th is allowed to go into the Champions League in the first place. Top 3 should be enough and then the qualifying spot should go to the FA Cup Winner. At least then it is going to some kind of Champion. If the team winning the FA Cup finishes in the Top 3, then the other spot should go to the team in 4th.

Whether it is a penalty or not, Gareth "I'm entitled to go down" Bale is reaping what he has sown. Anyway, the whole thing is a moot point because Tottenham's destiny was not in their hands, thanks to them successfully throwing away their place in the top four several games ago.

Anyway, I'm dubious over why a team that finishes 4th is allowed to go into the Champions League in the first place. Top 3 should be enough and then the qualifying spot should go to the FA Cup Winner. At least then it is going to some kind of Champion. If the team winning the FA Cup finishes in the Top 3, then the other spot should go to the team in 4th.

So a team that has won a handful of games deserves to play in the best club competition while the team that has been better over 38 doesn't?

For me, only the very best from each country should be playing in the Champions League. Arsenal were the 4th best team over 38 games, they deserve it.

So a team that has won a handful of games deserves to play in the best club competition while the team that has been better over 38 doesn't?

For me, only the very best from each country should be playing in the Champions League. Arsenal were the 4th best team over 38 games, they deserve it.

There were 2 (maybe 3 if you include Chelsea for parts of the season) teams that were head and shoulders above the rest all season. Anything from 3 downwards was a "best of the rest". I just can't justify why a team finishing fourth in their own domestic league should have the right to be in the Champions League. The clue is in the name: Champions. At least with an FA Cup winner you'll have a team that have fucking won something!

Finishing fourth isn't an achievement in any other sport. There's no Olympic Medal for finishing fourth.

Look at the bolded part. It's a contradiction. You say "the very best", but Arsenal aren't "the very best". They're FOURTH best.

If I had my way only the champions from all UEFA members would be in, straight knock out competition.

However the money men don't care about integrity in sport.

The crowd wouldn't have made a difference, especially if they'd been mistaken with what the score was....

That wouldn't affect the players. I know from playing myself that all you do is worry about what you can control, you worry about the rest afterwards. Arsenal were always under pressure to score, regardless if you lot were 6-0 up inside 15 minutes. The fact you lot hadn't score wasn't relevant, as you could have scored at anytime. Arsenal were never going to be safe with a draw.

Going to guess you didn't play in one of the most important matches of the premier league season to a 40,000+ crowd. It's impossible to 'worry about the rest afterwards' when there's a massive crowd who are fully aware of what's going on elsewhere.

Going to point you toward the City game last season (who of course eventually won - though relevantly that was only once QPR had heard they were safe from relegation - during play!). They were clearly immensely nervey for most of the game, the pressure having been put on by the early rooney goal in the United match. There's no way that game would have played out as it did if it had stayed at 0 - 0 in the United match.

Case study 2 would be a couple of weeks ago with Watford's last game in the championship. The players clearly knew what had happened in the Hull game, packed everyone forward to get the goal that would then have seen them promoted, and Leeds broke up the other end and scored.

In terms of pressure, hearing that Spurs had scored would have been like going from 0-0 to 1-0 down. How could it not affect the mentality of players to some degree? Think we'll have to disagree.

Bit harsh, he properly dived literally like two times over a year ago and he's had multiple yellow cards for going down from fouls since. He's more of less completely cut it out now, but if anything he's getting booked more. Plus most of the time when people say it looks theatrical it's just because he's a massive lank. As a tall person I'm pretty sure I couldn't be tripped over running at high speed without it looking a bit ridiculous.

The rest I agree with. I'm putting the 1-0 loss at home to Fulham as the vital game - easy points dropped, as was the case last year against Aston Villa. Naff.

If I had my way only the champions from all UEFA members would be in, straight knock out competition.

However the money men don't care about integrity in sport.

I can understand why it isn't like that, because it would be less interesting without the group stages. But yes, if it were true to its name, it would only be the Champions of each country. The competition would be noticeably shorter and I think it would make things a bit too "easy" in terms of squad rotation. Part of the drama for me is seeing a team play on the weekday and then have a league game on the weekend. That's what separates the top teams from the not-quite-tops, because they can rotate their squads more.

There were 2 (maybe 3 if you include Chelsea for parts of the season) teams that were head and shoulders above the rest all season. Anything from 3 downwards was a "best of the rest". I just can't justify why a team finishing fourth in their own domestic league should have the right to be in the Champions League. The clue is in the name: Champions. At least with an FA Cup winner you'll have a team that have fucking won something!

Finishing fourth isn't an achievement in any other sport. There's no Olympic Medal for finishing fourth.

Look at the bolded part. It's a contradiction. You say "the very best", but Arsenal aren't "the very best". They're FOURTH best.

I don't understand when people say it should only be champions. Should we throw Real Madrid out then?

You can't compare football to the Olympics at all.

The EPL is given 4 slots, Arsenal finished 4th, they earned it. You're ok with 3rd getting in, but why is 4th getting in so preposterous?

I can understand why it isn't like that, because it would be less interesting without the group stages. But yes, if it were true to its name, it would only be the Champions of each country. The competition would be noticeably shorter and I think it would make things a bit too "easy" in terms of squad rotation. Part of the drama for me is seeing a team play on the weekday and then have a league game on the weekend. That's what separates the top teams from the not-quite-tops, because they can rotate their squads more.

The group stages are crap though. All about making money, each team guaranteed 3 home fixtures to rake in the cash. Even worse when it use to be double group stage competition.

I see your point on less entertaining. There will be some easy ties, when smaller nations come up against the bigger ones. But that doesn't necessarily mean there couldn't be upsets. A team wins their league, yet they have to go through several phases of qualifying, we jump in at the last round. Is that fair?

Champions League - Champion Knock out competition

Second Tier Competition - Best of the rest

Cup Winners Cup - Cup Knock out.

However like @MadDog said, won't happen because UEFA won't have the likes of Real Madrid missing out on the big dosh.

I agree with your points in some regard flink about 4th place and the likes getting into the Champs. I don't agree with winning the FA cup being a valid entry method. Perhaps 20 years ago when it was taken seriously, not nowadays. You only have to look at recent winners to see that. At least the team finishing 4th has sustained some sort of form against the better sides during the league season, can't say the same for winning the FA Cup.

That said, it'll never be an even playing field when you've got teams like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Madrid, Bayern and Barca throwing money around for fun. I truly hope one day we will see some sort financial parity instituted correctly.

Edited by Jon

Bit harsh, he properly dived literally like two times over a year ago and he's had multiple yellow cards for going down from fouls since. He's more of less completely cut it out now, but if anything he's getting booked more. Plus most of the time when people say it looks theatrical it's just because he's a massive lank. As a tall person I'm pretty sure I couldn't be tripped over running at high speed without it looking a bit ridiculous.

The rest I agree with. I'm putting the 1-0 loss at home to Fulham as the vital game - easy points dropped, as was the case last year against Aston Villa. Naff.

The problem is that it's hard to quantify what is a "dive" and what is him "going down too easily", which is a big problem in the game. I hate it when Rooney and Young do it and I won't stand up for them when they do shit like that.

Bale has already come out and said that he goes down when he feels a touch, which is the wrong attitude, in my opinion. I run an afterschool football club and also have a kick about at break-times with the kids. Two of the boys do exactly what Bale said he does and go down when there is a touch, even a slight touch. Today, one of the boys literally threw himself to the floor, like he was diving into a pool. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. It's ridiculous. They get it from somewhere.

I don't understand when people say it should only be champions. Should we throw Real Madrid out then?

You can't compare football to the Olympics at all.

The EPL is given 4 slots, Arsenal finished 4th, they earned it. You're ok with 3rd getting in, but why is 4th getting in so preposterous?

Why should it only be Champions? Probably because it's named the Champions League. It's supposed to be the best in Europe. Arsenal are fourth best in their own country. Fourth! Even then, they're 16 points behind the leaders, despite United playing terribly for the last few games due to having nothing of note to play for/the league being wrapped up. How is that representing the best of Europe?

If we're letting in 4th, why not just let in 5th and 6th then, using your reasoning?

Yes, you can compare the football to Olympics because it is about honour and achievement. Finishing first is a great honour. Finishing second, yes City will be disappointed, but it's still a good well done to get there. Third placed Chelsea haven't really been in the League running. It's terrible that Arsene Wenger refers to finishing fourth place as some kind of trophy and it's sad that teams regard finishing fourth in a league (being the fourth best in the league) as a greater honour than winning a cup itself. Name me another sport where you actually get rewarded for finishing fourth?

The group stages are crap though. All about making money, each team guaranteed 3 home fixtures to rake in the cash. Even worse when it use to be double group stage competition.

I see your point on less entertaining. There will be some easy ties, when smaller nations come up against the bigger ones. But that doesn't necessarily mean there couldn't be upsets. A team wins their league, yet they have to go through several phases of qualifying, we jump in at the last round. Is that fair?

Champions League - Champion Knock out competition

Second Tier Competition - Best of the rest

Cup Winners Cup - Cup Knock out.

However like @MadDog said, won't happen because UEFA won't have the likes of Real Madrid missing out on the big dosh.

The group stages can be "filler", but there are usually one or two games that can be exciting. Look at City's group this season, frightening as fuck. I enjoyed watching those matches.

I'd be fine having it as a straight knock-out cup competition, although it would have to start later or something to prolong it. You're right in that the money men wouldn't be fans of it. I'm fine either way on this one as I see the pros of both.

I agree with your points in some regard flink about 4th place and the likes getting into the Champs. I don't agree with winning the FA cup being a valid entry method. Perhaps 20 years ago when it was taken seriously, not nowadays. You only have to look at recent winners to see that. At least the team finishing 4th has sustained some sort of form against the better sides during the league season, can't say the same for winning the FA Cup.

That said, it'll never be an even playing field when you've got teams like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Madrid, Bayern and Barca throwing money around for fun. I truly hope one day we will see some sort financial parity instituted correctly.

We've often heard about the FA Cup being less prestigious than before. Well, if there was an incentive such as entry to the Champions League at the end of it, then surely that would give teams more of a drive to win the competition?

Also, I'm going to dispute your point about teams throwing money around. City and Chelsea, I'm with you on that one. However, I will disagree with you on United, as we have won/earned our money fair and square. Yes, we benefited immensely from the league changes around 92/introduction to the Premier League, but somebody had to get lucky and it turned out to be us. We didn't get pumped full of money by a sugar daddy like Chelsea, so I think it's fair to us to spend what we have earned.

Agree with you on the rest, except Bayern, as I'm sure that they run their club in the proper way from what I've heard. I might be wrong, though.

The problem is that it's hard to quantify what is a "dive" and what is him "going down too easily", which is a big problem in the game. I hate it when Rooney and Young do it and I won't stand up for them when they do shit like that.

Bale has already come out and said that he goes down when he feels a touch, which is the wrong attitude, in my opinion. I run an afterschool football club and also have a kick about at break-times with the kids. Two of the boys do exactly what Bale said he does and go down when there is a touch, even a slight touch. Today, one of the boys literally threw himself to the floor, like he was diving into a pool. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. It's ridiculous. They get it from somewhere.

Why should it only be Champions? Probably because it's named the Champions League. It's supposed to be the best in Europe. Arsenal are fourth best in their own country. Fourth! Even then, they're 16 points behind the leaders, despite United playing terribly for the last few games due to having nothing of note to play for/the league being wrapped up. How is that representing the best of Europe?

If we're letting in 4th, why not just let in 5th and 6th then, using your reasoning?

Yes, you can compare the football to Olympics because it is about honour and achievement. Finishing first is a great honour. Finishing second, yes City will be disappointed, but it's still a good well done to get there. Third placed Chelsea haven't really been in the League running. It's terrible that Arsene Wenger refers to finishing fourth place as some kind of trophy and it's sad that teams regard finishing fourth in a league (being the fourth best in the league) as a greater honour than winning a cup itself. Name me another sport where you actually get rewarded for finishing fourth?

The group stages can be "filler", but there are usually one or two games that can be exciting. Look at City's group this season, frightening as fuck. I enjoyed watching those matches.

I'd be fine having it as a straight knock-out cup competition, although it would have to start later or something to prolong it. You're right in that the money men wouldn't be fans of it. I'm fine either way on this one as I see the pros of both.

We've often heard about the FA Cup being less prestigious than before. Well, if there was an incentive such as entry to the Champions League at the end of it, then surely that would give teams more of a drive to win the competition?

Also, I'm going to dispute your point about teams throwing money around. City and Chelsea, I'm with you on that one. However, I will disagree with you on United, as we have won/earned our money fair and square. Yes, we benefited immensely from the league changes around 92/introduction to the Premier League, but somebody had to get lucky and it turned out to be us. We didn't get pumped full of money by a sugar daddy like Chelsea, so I think it's fair to us to spend what we have earned.

Agree with you on the rest, except Bayern, as I'm sure that they run their club in the proper way from what I've heard. I might be wrong, though.

I do actually think Munich have a pretty sound financial model, but like with Man Utd in the EPL, they've benefited in a similar fashion in the Bundesliga.

I do actually think Munich have a pretty sound financial model, but like with Man Utd in the EPL, they've benefited in a similar fashion in the Bundesliga.

That's what I suspected. In which case, I find it hard to criticise them for that. Somebody had to benefit from it, and it just turned out to be them. It's entirely different to the likes of City and Chelsea who have manufactured their success. But, on the other hand, it has allowed the league to become more competitive and it has enabled big names like Didier Drogba, Sergio Aguero and Yaya Toure to come to the Premier League.

There's also the argument that this has been to the detriment of home grown talent, but that's something else entirely.

As a fan of a team who horde money like a Scouse OAP, it's nothing but jealousy :heh:

Fuck the haters, i'd be spending the lot :heh:

As a fan of a team who horde money like a Scouse OAP, it's nothing but jealousy :heh:

Fuck the haters, i'd be spending the lot :heh:

I do hope for Arsenal's sake that they spend some fucking money and buy players to supplement the likes of Cazorla and Arteta. I'm sad to see them competing for fourth and would rather be challenging them for the league instead of Chelsea and City.

It is misleading name now but other than that I don't have much of a problem with the current set up of the Champions League.

Arsenal might only be the 4th best team in England but they'd still probably wipe the floor with the half the champions of the other european nations.

If it keeps the big clubs happy then good, because I don't want a break away European super league. I don't want to see the big games every week, and I like the randomness of which big ties we get each season. Also the fact that say AC Milan don't play Bayern Munich every season makes it more special when they do play each other.

I do find it a bit ironic though that sometimes teams will play a weaker side in their Champions league ties to focus on gaining domestic league points, in order to secure champions league football for the following season. It's as though consistently being in the champions league is sometimes more important that actually trying to win it.

Maybe it is all about the money these days. I genuinely suspect, if they're being honest, that the Wigan board would swap their FA Cup win to avoid relegtion.

Going by your own logic shouldn't that mean that only the Champions get into it and not even second get a place?

------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22612165

As per usual, the Italian's are leading the way and dishing out harsh punishments for racist chanting. Not.

It may be all about money - but surely the flipside is that you get more games of football with the group stages etc. Isn't that what people want? Why are you complaining about getting more football? Football football football?

Maybe they should just have one game a year.

Going by your own logic shouldn't that mean that only the Champions get into it and not even second get a place?

Considering it's the Champions League, it should technically only include Champions, but it obviously doesn't. Money.

In other news, I'm surprised that Stoke have let Tony Pulis go. I can imagine them sliding down the table and into the Championship in a few years.

Considering it's the Champions League, it should technically only include Champions, but it obviously doesn't. Money.

In other news, I'm surprised that Stoke have let Tony Pulis go. I can imagine them sliding down the table and into the Championship in a few years.

I think people read too much into the name of the competition. I think it's suppose to signify the best teams in europe, not strictly only those who win their own league title.

I think people read too much into the name of the competition. I think it's suppose to signify the best teams in europe, not strictly only those who win their own league title.

I wish they'd go back to calling it the European Cup.:love:

Saw this picture today, reminded me of someone...

BKzWSPbCUAAl25r.jpg:large

It's been 3 days and we've still not heard from him.

Very funny. And you can all gloat all you like. But all I know is you had your full strength team out, we were missing Ekotto, Kaboul, Caulker, Parker, Dembele - these are first teasers. And we were still the much better team and would have won if Ade wasn't such a cock.

Obviously these things can never be proved, but I'm pretty confident there's only one reason you won, and I'm staggeringly confident we will finish above you this season.

DO you not agree? 10 games to go, 7 points, you wouldn't think it was game over?!

We're a completely different side than under Redknapp, we have so much fight and team spirit, probably more than I've ever seen supporting spurs.

God I can't wait for this season to be over, finish above Arsenal and then all the bottler talk the "you always say that" crap will come to an end!

Spurs to finish 5th? That's still better than not even in the top 6 you predicted at the beginning of the season, with Everton 4th :D Great predictions!!!

Also, this time last season spurs were ONE POINT ahead of Arsenal, not 7. And you beat us by one point, so even if the same thing happens that puts us 5 points ahead of you. But we are stronger you are weaker. Keep playing the "we'll see" card, but I don't mind being bold and saying what I think will happen; I did pretty well from my predictions at the beginning of the season when everyone tried mocking me.

Greta days football. Awesome away win at fulham, back up to 4th, level with Chelsea, 5 points ahead of goons!

I knew Arsenal would struggle this year, even when they beat us I felt bizarrely positive as it was simply because we had 10 men.

January will change everything of course, but feeling great at the minute. We're really starting to click!

COOOOOOOOOOOME ON YOU SPUUUUUUUUUURS!!!

Things are looking very good for the mighty yiddos! Got an easy christmas period (relatively) and pretty confident we'll be third come 2013. I didn't want to come in after Bradford and mock, too easy a target and actually, it's becoming less of a shock now. I really think Arsenal could struggle to even get a europa place this year, though depends on January. And Chelsea could easily crumble out of the top 4 again so who knows. But another exciting season ahead I reckon. The only thing that wont be exciting, i can see Man U running away with the league!

Bloody hell, he is one good game and he's the new messiah. Walcott had one good game against Croatia once and lived off that for years too.

Look, if you're happy with podolski and bifold and Walcott, fine. Bt if they so good, why are arsenal struggling so much (relatively)?

Don't you think it s weird that its almost a year ago when Tottenham were way more clear than this year, and we had to play each other. You won and everything turned on its head.... Surely the same cant happen this year!

Two big differences though 1. We're at home 2. We don't have Harry as manager

And in all honesty, a few of my spurs mates were ripping arsenal fans and I've been a bit quiet. They asked why, and I said, to be honest, they've just played a champions league game. We're not there. What really do we have to gloat about. Plus arsenal are still in it!

Wasn't it after 27 games not 28. And we are better now and arsenal are worse.

Just been reading the beginning of the thread. Everyone doubting spurs and laughing at me. Jon calling me an imbecile about Vertinghen v vermaelen. Me saying giroud would struggle in his first season and saying podolski wouldn't get even close to 20 league goals.

The best is Chelsea. When they stormed the league early on I was saying they are average and would be battling for top 4 and not comfortably in it. Everyone laughed. In July I said Di matteo would be the first prem manager sacked. And he was.

10 games to go. A long way still. No dembele could really impact us from now as we have no decent coverl but surely this is it!

Today? Arsenal always getting cheating controversial decisions. Same with Chelsea and Man U. So fucking corrupt with those idiot officials too scared. Today was absolutely disgusting.

Shouldn't have won last week.

The next 7 days will determine all anyway. Home to Everton and away at Fulham. Win them two and its game over. Always expected you to win today, but just not in the way you did. Cheating. You were lucky last week, phenomenally lucky today. I think you'll drop points this week, against Man U, against Newcastle. I'll take all the stick if arsenal power through those, but results like today make me even more confident, arsenal were awful today, they got stupidly lucky, they won't be lucky and get corrupt officials every game.

I don't know, I just don't think so. Big players obviously have big impact, but Man U would have easily still won the league without van persie this year, someone else would have just scored a few more goals. Same with us and Bale I reckon. It was defoe banging them in at the beginning of the season, he dropped off, Bale stepped up.

We obviously wouldn't be doing quite as well, but you CAN say that about any time. Arsenal without Corzola, Liverpool without Suarez, Chelsea without Mata. All had massive impact on their teams.

Huh, race for the last place? I think Arsenal are the ones who need to be slightly worried. Is spurs win then Arsenal are 5th and have to rely on Spurs or Chelsea to drop points. All doable obviously, but not good at all.

Exciting though :)

We won't see Dazzy until next season. Unless Spurs finally sign a striker. It'll only be the resigning of Darren Bent, anyway. :laughing: