Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Lego City: Undercover

Retro_Link

Bad loading times,music gets boring, platforming is weak, scanning is annoying, screen tearing, side quests dealt with badly.

Or...(what I saw)

Has absolutely nailed the best parts of sandbox games

Easy to get around town via clever Gamepad integration

One of the funnest/funniest games the reviewer has played in a while

Provides anarchic thrills that should keep you happy for a long time

Moderately high Replay Value

TT did a good job with the Gamepad

70's cop show soundtrack is great for the first few hours

Great to see Lego characters in a realistic world, but there is some minor screen tearing

An original Story based in the Lego universe

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That review sounds pretty negative. Bizarre high score following those comments...

I'm a bit surprised by the 'minor' screen-tearing too - I thought Vsync was pretty much mandatory on the Wii U. Early footage of the game had tearing galore, so I'm glad it's been reduced significantly (going on recent gameplay trailers).

You can't ignore the conclusion though:

It isn’t perfect, but I can’t think of another Wii U game that I’d recommend more than Lego City Undercover. It’s the most interesting and highly polished game in TT Games’ large repertoire, and it fills an important game gap.

The technical issues are a slight concern, I too though that with Nintendo being publisher they would have helped make sure it was a highly polished package, but I think Nintendo has a lot to learn where shaders and HD development is concerned... but man, as @tapedeck points out, it sounds like the positives pummel the negatives into the ground.

Edge could be wrong in their review, but either way, bit of a kick in the balls as I was hoping/expecting this to maybe be a 9/10 game.

The humour is incredible, but maybe the gameplay gets repetitive or something, or is too hand-holding/easy.

Edge could be wrong in their review, but either way, bit of a kick in the balls as I was hoping/expecting this to maybe be a 9/10 game.

The humour is incredible, but maybe the gameplay gets repetitive or something, or is too hand-holding/easy.

wouldnt be surprised if it too easy.

all these lego games have no difficulty to them.

My biggest gripe with all those Lego titles was the lack of challenge. A Edge 5 generally tends to mean a 7 elsewhere but for me to get this it has to be incredible.

wouldnt be surprised if it too easy.

all these lego games have no difficulty to them.

Very few games offer any challenge to them these days. I think the most important thing is that it's fun to play. I've played all the Lego games so far and each and everyone of them have been a right laugh, despite how easy they are.

My biggest concern is the screen tearing. I stated a while back ( possibly Darksiders 2 thread ) that its one of my major pet hates in gaming. It can really distract you while playing if it happens a lot.

It's just a shame that both this and Need for Speed are hitting after Monster Hunter. I find it a little crazy that all of these games are launching so close to each other. That's some real bad planning right there, especially when you add the 3DS games into the mix.

Yeah it seems unlikely they'd mark a game down, and a LEGO one at that, on the difficulty, so maybe quite a few technical issues.

posted on gaf

30 second load times, poor driving controls, the game is too simplistic, lacks content.

I've had worse load times on Halo... shame about the other bits :/

To be fair, they trashed the other Lego games for similar reasons

I also don't get the continuing view from the internet where if a review gives a game a low score it's suddenly the most valid review

So far I'd say it's a solid 7. Anyone expecting a fantastic mind-blowing game probably had their expectations set to high, but it's an amusing jaunt through a lego world.

I think I've just written the whole review there. Jones out!

Do note that Edge reviews tend to be on a classic scale were 5 is good/average unlike most other places who have that at 8.
I also don't get the continuing view from the internet where if a review gives a game a low score it's suddenly the most valid review
I get that, but I genuinely hoped this was going to be a 90% game judging it by the incredible trailers/footage.

This has always been a 6/7 out of 10 game in my mind. Too many Lego games already, saturation at its finest.

It looks decent, but it was never going to be a 9/10 game. I'm still a bit surprised at the way this was announced right at the beginning of the WiiU's reveal.

I've had worse load times on Halo... shame about the other bits :/

To be fair, they trashed the other Lego games for similar reasons

In what universe do any of the Halo games have 30 second loading times during a campaign? I ran though nearly all of them last year before Halo 4 and can't remember anything that bad.

However, I do agree with your comment. They gave Lego LOTR a 6/10 and there was nothing wrong with it.

Edge gave Aliens Colonial Marines a 5 as well. Having played through that the other week something must have gone terribly wrong with this Lego gave if its as bad as that.

Given their history I don't trust Edge when it comes to Lego reviews and will await the Eurogamer verdict like I always do.

@Fierce_LiNk Well that's my point, to me this was always billed to be something more than 'just another LEGO game'.

Nintendo have been showcasing and hyping it since launch, and especially with all the little Nintendo nods in the game I was expecting something along the lines of a First Party quality title; I thought we all were! :p

Edge gave Aliens Colonial Marines a 5 as well. Having played through that the other week something must have gone terribly wrong with this Lego gave if its as bad as that.

Never mention that "game" ever again. It's still a sore subject for me. :mad:

@Fierce_LiNk Well that's my point, to me this was always billed to be something more than 'just another LEGO game'.

Nintendo have been showcasing and hyping it since launch, and especially with all the little Nintendo nods in the game I was expecting something along the lines of a First Party quality title; I thought we all were! :p

I've always seen it as "this is an exclusive for WiiU game, enjoy" rather than it actually being up there with Nintendo's quality. It might still be considered good, possibly even more than that. But, it's never really looked exceptional at any stage, for me. It is what it is. Looks fun, so that might be enough for many.