NEurope
D_prOdigy

PRE-E3 NINTENDO DIRECT Conference

I'd be a little surprised if you couldn't have two tablet controllers - and since the last time I played a game with more than two people locally, that wasn't Pro Evo (which was awesome with 7 people), was probably in the 90s, that'd seem pretty fair.

I really hope you're right. but it worries me it won't. Hopefully Tuesday reveals all, or maybe even tomorrow at Ubis or EAs conference. Almost a console ruiner!!

You know you all keep saying your sad you didn't see X or couldn't they elaborate on X

You're all forgetting something.... Tuesday at 5pm is the Main conference, that was just an intro/a prelude

I can't say I'm to worried about the button layout on the pro controller, the layout on the 3DS with CPP is alright and not all that uncomfortable (for me anyway)

only a day or so until more epic information!

- No mention of the proper online 'Nintendo Network' system was a bit worrying.

It's a bit hard to show something like that off without a game to use as an example.

I don't understand why people want to swap the second control stick and the buttons. Sure if it's comfortable in the position for controlling with your left hand it's comfortable for your right hand. And since all these first person shooters require more camera and cursor control than the buttons, the control stick should be on top, no?

I like most of the stuff in this.

I'm starting to become worried though about all the control input methods.

It seems like it could detract from developers making focused experiences for one controller. We now have Wii Remote-nunchuk, motion plus, Balance board, Classic controller, Wii U Pad and Wii U Pro controller.

Ideally they phase out support for the original classic controller/pro, so that they can make good use of clickable sticks in the new one. Also, hopefully the old Wii Remote will be phased out so that motion plus support is the norm for any games using the Wii Remote set up.

That still leaves 4 distinct input methods though - Balance Board, Remote, GamePad, Pro controller.

If third parties latch onto the Pro Controller, then it leaves Nintendo to develop all the unique stuff. So expect them to have more projects and more dispersed resources, so more cheap titles to develop and probably less "Triple A" stuff.

Also, if third parties latch onto Pro, then expect Nintendo to also try to be trying to keep the Wii Remote and Balance Board still relevant too, by making stuff for them.

This is risky really. Third parties are probably less likely this gen to make Multi-platform titles AND Nintendo exclusives. if Wii U can run their multi-platform titles, which will likely be EXPENSIVE, then I dont see them wanting to spend money to make exclusives, especially with rising development costs. If Wii U "wins" and becomes their lead system, then maybe...but yeah...

This is how the controller should be.

f8pr5.jpg

So close, Nintendo. So close.

I was thinking that but on the N64 controller we used the C buttons in the same way we now use the second analogue stick and they were positioned above A and B too. I think it will take a minute to get used to and then feel as natural as the N64 controller does.

Nothing wrong with the 360 pad PRO or whatever it's called lol, you guys are just worried cause it looks different. The only way I can see it being a problem is if you have the hands of a 4 year old.

New Super Mario Bros on the Wii U looks nice... That zombie thing was embarrassing to watch. I really don't know what to make of the Miiverse, I guess it's like a better version of Playstation Home?

Miiverse = the solution to ALL of Nintendo's online problems. :awesome:

Talk about going from one extreme to another! Now it will be possible to communicate with everyone (using text, handwriting, voice and even video) at any time, even if the game you're currently playing doesn't feature online functionality. :o

Love that it's coming to 3DS too. :yay:

And I don't think spoilers will be a problem, it looks like you'll be able to mark posts as a spoiler:

xuYx0.jpg

(also really happy about the gameplay screenshot thing, I called that in the Nintendo @ E3 thread. :D)

plus, the entire communication system/aspects of it will blatantly be optional, so if you're playing something like Zelda, you could just disable it.

Wii U certainly seems to have ticked all the boxes, as Reggie would say. :heh:

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing some games now. :bouncy:

Yeah, Nintendo blew it out of the park. I don't get some of the people who are bitching about it. If all this turns out to be free, which follows Nintendo's policies, then Nintendo have just trounced Live.

I am very happy with the showcase here and am eagerly looking forward to tomorrow

Yeah, Nintendo blew it out of the park. I don't get some of the people who are bitching about it. If all this turns out to be free, which follows Nintendo's policies, then Nintendo have just trounced Live.

I am very happy with the showcase here and am eagerly looking forward to tomorrow

There's still a lot of unanswered questions though, like whether or not they have the MK7 Communities feature working on an OS level and how the online store setup works.

It's a bit early to start proclaiming superiority over all other services, but it does look very promising indeed (so long as I can turn off notifications while playing a game - I wouldn't want to be playing a game like Zelda and get bombarded with Facebook style spam, I hate that crap!)

What I'm wondering about the Pro Controller is as Iwata never touched on if they got it sorted so that 2 GamePads can work on WiiU at the same time or not. I'm wondering if they couldn't get that to work (or decided not to implement that for consumer cost saving) and came up with this as a solution for multiplayer games that require a WiiU controller and not a wiimote.

The zombie game promo video "thing" just made me cringe and shudder... be interesting to see if the zombie game gets announced as a full game at E3 :heh:

Nice to get confirmation the square on the left is the NFC thing. Find it interesting the other mystery square button is a "TV" button. Didn't expect that, but if they can make it so the GamePad can also control a Skybox that will be awesome (even more if it can do DVD/Bluray players too but maybe that asking too much)... be nice to get to hide away all remotes and just use the GamePad for everything. :D

I'm not sure about the menu they showed though. Looked ugly and so disorganised.

Does anyone else find it weird that a Wii U GamePad will be able to control a TV, but a Wii remote won't?

That looks like the best New Super Mario Bros game too. Possibly because of the graphics? I don't know, but I will basically definitely get that. The social aspects seem to really enhance these games in an utterly brilliant and clever way. Its like fusing Facebook with just....console games.

Does anyone else find it weird that a Wii U GamePad will be able to control a TV, but a Wii remote won't?

I did have a little chuckle at that yesterday. :heh:

A great start to E3 for Nintendo. They just need to back it up with some excellent games now. They really need something to show off the game pad and make us believe that it really is the future.

I'm sure the placement of the right stick and buttons will become second nature soon enough so my only slight problem is that it doesn't have analogue triggers.. but I'll get over it :indeed:

The joystick positioning is just to mirror the layout of the Wii U GamePad so everyone will get used to it without realising. :hehe:

As for analogue triggers, how are we gonna play Luigi's Mansion and Dreamcast games on the Wii U? :o What about analogue buttons? Doesn't/ didn't the PS3 have analogue buttons? ...Nintendo are losing the hardcore already...

Also not really sure why they are so keen on the TV button and general TV control. Seems a tad redundant to me so hopefully Nintendo can prove why it's useful.

I'd guess that it's an even stonger attempt at making a Nintendo Controller the universal Living Room Controller, which'd keep Nintendo's Controller in the hands of the casuals (all of it's consumers for that matter) at most times... so everyone would be breathing Nintendo 24/7 :laughing:

Yeah I know what you mean. Well the Wiimote was an attempt at making a Nintendo Controller feel natural and familiar in everone's hand, so I can't help but think that what they've done with the uPad is what they probably would've prefered to accomplish with a Wiimote of some sort. Perhaps this'll become a standard for Nintendo Controllers?.. Introducing it this way and then releases it with the new and improved Wiimote next time round?

---------------------------------------------------

On another note, those who thought that the Miiverse looked plain, do please remember that Satoru-sama mentioned that most of the things in relation to the home screen will be displayed on the uPad's screen. The TV is perfect for the wala wala gathering. :bouncy:

The lack of analogue shoulder buttons is a bit worrying, especially for racing games.

(even more if it can do DVD/Bluray players too but maybe that asking too much)

If your TV and Blu-Ray player both support HDMI control, then it should work. Interestingly, the PS3 is a blu-ray player with HDMI control.

I've been watching the video's again... What do you think the 2 symbols next to the usernames are? More evidence of achievements?

wiiusocial.png

Talk about going from one extreme to another! Now it will be possible to communicate with everyone (using text, handwriting, voice and even video) at any time, even if the game you're currently playing doesn't feature online functionality.

There was no mention of voice chat/party chat/cross game chat, which has me a little worried to be honest. If there is no party chat then I will be massively disappointed as it's one of the main reason why I love Xbox Live.

I've been watching the video's again... What do you think the 2 symbols next to the usernames are? More evidence of achievements?

Hmm. Could be. I can't really make out what the symbols are.

They were listening, they were listening.

iwata_nintendo_direct.jpg

I think they'll finally understand the 'my body is ready' reference this time :laughing:

Watch it in HD on GT or something. One is a face cartoon with a +; the other I think is a chat bubble with a + but it might be their symbol for the achievement.

EDIT: It could be how many friends you have in common and how many times you have chatted?

Watch it in HD on GT or something. One is a face cartoon with a +; the other I think is a chat bubble with a + but it might be their symbol for the achievement.

Yeah, just watched it on GT and you're right on both accounts.

The first one is a smiling mii head logo (similar to the plaza on the left) with an asterisk on the top right corner on it.

Could be either achievements or likes.

The second one is comments.

Here's a screencap for people to make their own minds up:

WiiUMiiPlaza.jpg

Based on that, I'm positive that it's a "like" icon.

One thing I'd love to see:

You get killed by a Koopa in NSMBMii - you see one or two comments.

You get killed by a tough enemy in a game similar to Ninja Gaiden (not 3, though) and commends pour down the screen.

Of perhaps die in a similar spot on an F-Zero story mode.

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost