NEurope
D_prOdigy

PRE-E3 NINTENDO DIRECT Conference

He never elaborated though. Maybe they only pop up AFTER you've got past that bit

Nintendo bail out Greece: employ EVERYONE to moderate EVERYTHING written on the Nintendo Network.

Gearbox: "hey can you copy the xbox360 contoller?"

Nintendo: "Okay"

I really don't think "copy" is a correct term. There are similarities, but it looks like ergonomics may be better on the Nintendo controller. I'm just a tiny bit sceptical about the right control stick swapping place with the D-pad.

On the other hand, Sony lovers don't complain about the left analogue stick on Sonys consoles being in the wrong place. On second thought... they don't even complain about the ergonomics not being improved since 1994.

Gearbox actually have said that they offered suggestions/feedback for controllers for the Wii U and are happy Nintendo listened

Gearbox: "hey can you copy the xbox360 contoller?"

Nintendo: "Okay"

ii4CBCCEPVm5n.png

Bingo. It's so blatantly obvious that this controller is not of pure Nintendo design (it's co-developed with 3rd parties ALA Classic Controller Pro/Circle Pad Pro with Capcom)

Kind of sad that they have to do this, even with the tablet featuring all the same controls as a 360 controller. Just shows how uncreative and resistant to change most 3rd parties really are...

Edited by Dcubed

Bingo. It's so blatantly obvious that this controller is not of pure Nintendo design (it's co-developed with 3rd parties ALA Classic Controller Pro/Circle Pad Pro with Capcom)

Kind of sad that they have to do this, even with the tablet featuring all the same controls as a 360 controller.

For me it's nice to have it as an option, even if I probably won't get one. You know... for those people who NEED it.

Yeah. A cheaper alternative to the wii u pad for multiplayer gaming. Great idea.

Wish they confirmed AT LEAST 2 wii u pads though. This is still worrying me!

Have to laugh at all this talk about the "pro" pad. It got about two seconds of screen time, which shows how much Nintendo cared about it. :heh:

I'll be absolutely gutted if developers start using this for shooters and the like. Hope this doesn't mean the end for Wiimote support.

Anyway, glad that they showed this stuff off here rather than the conference. It gives them the chance to get their philosophy stuff out there without infringing on the short-time needed for the games and other important things. Bit worried that there won't be a great deal of time (if any) dedicated to showing the 3DS stuff. Will see.

The Miiverse stuff shown was quite interesting. Something they should've done right from the start with the Wii. But, it'll be great to see where they go from here.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Yeah. A cheaper alternative to the wii u pad for multiplayer gaming. Great idea.

Wish they confirmed AT LEAST 2 wii u pads though. This is still worrying me!

I'm not worried.. I think one Wii U Gamepad will be enough for me :smile: That and a couple of these Wii U Pro Controllers will be more than enough for some great multiplayer gaming..

I'll be interested to see how much the Wii Remote will be used by developers or if it'll basically be ignored..

Kind of sad that they have to do this, even with the tablet featuring all the same controls as a 360 controller. Just shows how uncreative and resistant to change most 3rd parties really are...

Yes but with only one tablet, maybe two, to use with each machine, how else would they do four play single screen games? You need a device for everyone and if you don't already have Wii Remotes and CC/CCPs already, this is the next best option.

As for the "copied" design... the only thing wrong with the 360 is the D-Pad, not tried one of them new extended ones, so the addition of a Nintendo D-pad, and their slightly better analog sticks, is about as much as you could ask for in a convential controller. Button placement has me slightly worried though. The Y button looks a little far over for comfortable use - how bad is it when you use the CPP on the 3DS as that looks pretty awkward?

As for all the connectivity stuff and Miiverse... I am having severe difficulty mustering enough energy to give a crap. I can see the hypocrisy in that line given I'm posting on message board about it but I don't know why there is a sudden rush for everybody in the world to share every thought they have with everyone else on the planet all of a sudden... much less why everyone else should care.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Mario0.jpg

Someone on Gaf noticed this. Compare the backgrounds.

UOTkJ.gif

New Super Mario World? :D

The Y button looks a little far over for comfortable use - how bad is it when you use the CPP on the 3DS as that looks pretty awkward?

The 3DS one knacked my hand after a few uses and I haven't used it since.

Mario0.jpg

That 2D Mario does look ALOT better!

The slightly more painted/cutout looking art style helps blend background and foreground, instead of the terrible style used previously.

But anyway, I don't like 2D Mario.

But I hope for you guys who do like it it is a Super Mario World 2.

I'll be absolutely gutted if developers start using this for shooters and the like. Hope this doesn't mean the end for Wiimote support.
Can't see that happening, it'll surely just be a continuation of different control options, like Goldeneye 007 supporting Wii-mote and Classic Controller.

New Super Mario World? :D

Indeed it does share that same background but correct me if I'm wrong but Super Mario World didn't have the convential brick block as seen in that shot. They were either Prize blocks, Speaker, Exclamation Point, Spinning(which were destroyable) or those ones you could pick up and throw. And that you can see Peach's castle in the background suggest it's just a little nod and not much more.

The 3DS one knacked my hand after a few uses and I haven't used it since.

Just holding my xbox pad now, I'm not sure it would be too friendly on my hands to have to pummel a button placed on the left side of the right analog stick.

This is how the controller should be.

f8pr5.jpg

So close, Nintendo. So close.

I think I've figured out why they swapped the 2nd analog and the face buttons...

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1081673p1.html

Quote:

Microsoft Suing Datel For Copying Controller Design

Microsoft has filed a lawsuit against British gaming peripheral manufacture Datel for allegedly infringing on several design patents from the Xbox 360 controller.

The two Datel third-party controllers brought into question are the "TurboFire" and "Wildfire" designs. The lawsuit states Datel is infringing on a total of six patents filed by Microsoft in 2006. The patents filed mostly deal with the front design and button layout of the controller.

Patents:

D521,015

D522,011

D547,763

D581,422

D563,480

D565,668

So what will be the excuse to not support the Wii U now? (I'm looking at you Kojima...)

Edited by Dcubed

The support for a mobile browser to access your messages has potential. Obviously they could still announce partnerships but it would be a lot easier if we could just link our account with our Facebook account, and even with a mobile browser Nintendo would be missing a trick if they didn't release some sort of Nintendo Network app on iOS/Android - I'm sure I'm not the only one that use individual apps more than the web browser.

Also not really sure why they are so keen on the TV button and general TV control. Seems a tad redundant to me so hopefully Nintendo can prove why it's useful.

Otherwise it was generally a very nice warm up to the main conference which will hopefully now concentrate on the games.

So is the Pro controller just for more people in local multiplayer? I'm kind of confused.

So is the Pro controller just for more people in local multiplayer? I'm kind of confused.
The Pro Controller is for people who always ask for that style of pad with their consoles, and don't feel comfortable with a Wii-mote/nunchuck.

It's just an optional extra/alternative.

The Pro Controller is for people who always ask for that style of pad with their consoles, and don't feel comfortable with a Wii-mote/nunchuck.

It's just an optional extra/alternative.

But why not just use the tablet pad?

The Pro controller is for "gamers" and developers who are scared to touch anything other than a 360 controller.

But why not just use the tablet pad?

Cheaper alternative for multiplayer. Plus I doubt you can have 4 tablets (though wish you could).

Just think about Pokémon Snap for the Wii U, with the GamePad being the camera, and all your Mii friends rating the quality of your pics... it'd be perfect.

Cheaper alternative for multiplayer. Plus I doubt you can have 4 tablets (though wish you could).

I'd be a little surprised if you couldn't have two tablet controllers - and since the last time I played a game with more than two people locally, that wasn't Pro Evo (which was awesome with 7 people), was probably in the 90s, that'd seem pretty fair.

Well at first they said one but in the preceding year have said they want to try for 2. Guess we'll find out on Tuesday.