N-Europe

Help Convincing nintendo about Dolby digital 5.1

marcel

Hello,

Can everybody e-mail Nintendo , So they are seeing that Nintendo fans want Dolby digital 5.1 on there revolution console. If you don’t got a sound set, than think about 1 thing if you are getting one in the next 5, 6 years that u want real 5.1 surround sound and not faked surround like Dolby pro logic 2 does. Don’t get me wrong Dolby pro logic 2 is a great improvement but Dolby digital 5.1 is obviously better. So everybody please e-mail Nintendo about this.

Here is my mail that I sent to Nintendo USA,(email nintendo from your own region)

I know Nintendo wants to make the revolution as cheap as possible. But I really hope we get an optical audio output on the revolution so that Dolby digital 5.1 sound is possible, I know that Dolby pro logic 2 is almost as good but Dolby 5.1 is obviously better. You have better bass and the front speakers are more separated .

I don’t care about HD because I don’t have a HDTV. But I do got a home

cinema set.

Please consider a optical or coaxial audio output for revolution. Even if you are not going to use Dolby 5.1 . and its also handy with the DVD playback feature. But I prefer

to games with dd5.1.

I hope it will be standard in every revolution game.

I got the reaction from them:

Hello there.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Our players'

opinions are very important to us, so we appreciate your feedback. I have

forwarded your comments to our other departments so that they can get a chance

to hear what our fans are saying!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

(I know it’s a automatic e-mail but they are sending it to an other department so that’s good)

That e-mail went straight into the trash can...

Anyway, I consider Dolby Digital as definite for the Revolution. Even cheapass €20 DVD players nowadays have Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby DTS. Unless Nintendo makes the Revolution a 100% copy of the Cube, it will have Dolby Digital Surround.

Perhaps BigTac knows more about this?

What a waste of a thread. Everyone knows that privately run petitions never work. Petitions only work when money is added to the equation. Money to advertise and send the message to the right people. Didn't the Gamecube have Dolby 5.1 anyway? And have Nintendo said that the Revolution won't feature it? No they havn't said anything of the sorts. We still know bugger all in terms of specs and features for the console, so until we have better info, just leave crap like this in your head.

Help! HURRY! FAST, CONVINCE THEM!

Or slowly convince this dude that Dolby Prologic II is more than enouth to have a decent gaming experience.

I would prefer a nice 192KHz 24bit stereo capable chip, than a cheap 5.1 or whatever sound chip...

If I can play with headphones, I play with headphones.

See this uniforme resource locator.:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/games/games_and_consoles4.html

And from there read more about each audio system.

Say Nintendo have not incorporated 'real' 5.1 surround sound in the Revolution, isn't it a bit late anyway considering that the Revolution has gone gold? (Even though it may be a rumour but Nintendo hasn't denied this somewhat plausible rumour).

E-mailed them telling them not to bother, and that we really don't want Dobly 5.1.

:D

Didn't really, e-petitions don't work anyway. But I really don't care about it to be honest, I'd rather they didn't bother and kept the price down.

EDIT: Why e-petitions aren't worth the paper they're not written on: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Nintendo has even bothered putting much thought into sound for Revolution. It's clearly never been a big thing to them considering their biggest franchises still use a ton of midi as opposed to orchestrated scores, even the new zelda will only have a select few orchestrated sections. It's all about the gameplay to them, if the sound is good enough to do its job alone without being amazingly good, then it's probably good enough for them.

even the new zelda will only have a select few orchestrated sections. It's all about the gameplay to them, if the sound is good enough to do its job alone without being amazingly good, then it's probably good enough for them.

I think in an E3 interview someone from the Zelda staff said that it will be fully orchestrated. And if you look at the DS, it has 2 speakers and supports virtual surround sound and it really works (noticed it in SM64DS).

I think with the full 3D space controls, believable sound from all directions will ad a lot of realism and atmosphere and sound cards aren't too expensive.

Dolby Digital would mean such a big step up. Dolby Pro Logic II only differs from stereo sound in that it plays supposed distant sounds mainly over the backspeakers - 3D sound is still achieved by using stereo sound methods. PL2 also has random noise from the rest of the speakers (the one the analog surround filtering doesn't filter out). Dolby Digital on the other hand allows full control over all the speakers, meaning developers can locate the sounds in space, with digital quality.

I would be so dissappointed if they left it out :hmm:

After all, surround sets are much more common than HDTVs right?

Dolby Digital would mean such a big step up. Dolby Pro Logic II only differs from stereo sound in that it plays supposed distant sounds mainly over the backspeakers - 3D sound is still achieved by using stereo sound methods. PL2 also has random noise from the rest of the speakers (the one the analog surround filtering doesn't filter out). Dolby Digital on the other hand allows full control over all the speakers, meaning developers can locate the sounds in space, with digital quality.

I would be so dissappointed if they left it out :hmm:

After all, surround sets are much more common than HDTVs right?

not really... the decision of leaving dolby digital out in gamecube was a decision made by Factor 5, not nintendo.

the reason was that dolby digital had to be pre-rendered, and flipper-DSP is pretty advanced, it can do loops in sound and basicly work as a mixing table... but... that's only possible with Dolby Surround Pro logic... because it can be modified in real time from the tempo to the ritm, think of the soundtrack in zelda Wind Waker and the enemy theme, when you aproach a enemy, that could not be accomplished with that "seamless" loop into another melody in Xbox, only if it was pre-rendered to do it, that's all Flippers-DSP work, and xbox couldn't even dream of it on hardware.

then again I want it to be implemented, and the support from it would even come from some third party developers, but I prefer Dolbi Surround Prologic II on gamecube to the Dolbi Digital in Xbox, gamecube for example does easily more than 100 voices in hardware that leaves Xbox in the dust, it's a more powerfull cpu overall, it's only that it doesn't support Dolbi Digital, because Prologic was more flexible back in 2001. (dunno if it still is)

EDIT: Then again... Zelda TP is orchestrated so I don't know if it uses the DSP to it's fullest. Maybe it would benefit more from Dolbi Digital... but overall I'm more seduced by the DSP extra functions.

P.S. Is it just me or the forums are quite slow these days?

Probably cause theres not much to talk about

I think he means the actual speed of the forums, which I have noticed too; despite being on broadband, it can sometimes take several minutes for a page to finish downloading.

The Cube's sound processor is great, but all it really does is output stereo sound (which can be optimised for PL2 but still), and pure on sound quality it can't match up to Dolby Digital. Now I wonder though, because the Flipper DSP will surely be in the Rev as well, whether it will support Dolby Digital...

Yeah, Revo-Europe is slow as hell for days...

The Cube's sound processor is great, but all it really does is output stereo sound (which can be optimised for PL2 but still), and pure on sound quality it can't match up to Dolby Digital. Now I wonder though, because the Flipper DSP will surely be in the Rev as well, whether it will support Dolby Digital...

Yeah, Revo-Europe is slow as hell for days...

the flipper DSP is embedded in flipper's design (the GPU) so as flipper will not be in revolution they have to make a separated DSP, I beleieve it's a evolution of the existing one, and still developed by Factor 5, now it's up to nintendo what they decide to...

Dolbi Digital support is important but, please keep the current advantages of it over the dolbi digital processor in Xbox (and the list od advantages isn't small, it's just that it doesn't support Dolbi Digital)

Considering the developers' rumours the GPU in the Revolution is so similar to the Flipper that they could implement the sound processor in the Flipper again. They will have to make a similar design in order to keep 100% backwards compability with the Cube (they can't have the processor emulate it anyway). I hope Factor 5/NEC/Nintendo or whoever are designing the chip will make it DD compatible so that developers can choose whether they use Digital or Pro Logic.

i don't see the point of dolby digital in a console when you encode in the format you lose sound quality. a raw format or dts whould be much beater or just providing 5.1 channel av output like a pc sound card so you can skip the codecs & roalty payments to dolby all together.