N-Europe

Project X Zone (Capcom x Sega x Namco Bandai)

Dante

Perhaps I'm being too "half full" here, but I think a niche title selling 85k in its first week in one territory is pretty healthy. Xenoblade, Monolith's last, sold less than twice that in its entire lifespan in Japan on a console with an astronomically larger install base. The development costs will have been much lower for this too.

I have to say, I find the practise these days of a first week's sales figures (often a first weekend!) being judged as determining the fate of a game to be a bit ridiculous. I don't think this is notably low enough to have an effect on the (already very slim) possibility of localisation.

The vicissitudes of the localisation game are all based on the premise that Japanese gamers have different tastes anyway! vOv

Edited by Lens of Truth

The important thing to gleam from the sales figures is that it has sold below Namco's expectations. Selling 50% of the first shipment isn't good for s SRPG game in generally as the sales in that genre are usually front loaded (Fire Emblem Awakening was an exception).

At the end of the day it all depends on if Namco think that it will sell well enough in the West and if they have made enough profit from the game in Japan to make localizing it feasible.

I have to say, I find the practise these days of a first week's sales figures (often a first weekend!) being judged as determining the fate of a game to be a bit ridiculous. I don't think this is notably low enough to have an effect on the (already very slim) possibility of localisation.

Totally agree. Nothing has the chance to sit on the shelves now and gain a good reputation over time. This is particularly true of handheld games where the print-run seems to be much more limited than console titles. Something could sell out (and demand high prices 2nd-hand), yet still be considered a flop because it didn't sell what the publishers expected in the first week.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NO FUCKING WAY!!! :o

Never in a million years did I expect it to get localised! GOOD GOING NAMCO YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS!

I hope that the game is better than Namco X Capcom though. From what I've seen of the game it looks to be all fan service and no substance...