N-Europe

Rugby World Cup 2011

Murr

Hmm, I'm sure there are a few Rugby fans on the forum aren't there?

well anyway's a thread for the Rugby World Cup 2011....

anyone watching the opening ceremony at the moment?

anyone watching the opening game New Zealand vs Tonga?

and how about England vs Argentina tomorrow? Will anyone be at the pub at 9:30 in the morning getting their breakfast and a pint?

looking forward to England vs Scotland on 1st October.

Missed the New Zealand V Tonga match but it was never going to great because it's always generally a walkover with the likes of Tonga unfortunately. The issue with the Pacific island teams is that they get together weeks before the tournament and so really aren't properly prepared (similarly with Argentina, although they at least did a series of warm up games against the UK and Irish teams so should at least be better prepared). Quite a stark contrast of course to how they do in the Rugby 7s which is a shame.

Looking forward to it though. Should be able to catch most matches with no real early starts at Uni this year but I'm not really expecting any major upsets. Think it'll be your typical 8 through to the quarters (NZ, Aus, South Africa, England, France, Ireland, Scotland and Argentina) but it'd be nice to see one of the bigger teams scalped in the groups (probably be Scotland :laughing:)

That was sort of hard to watch, both because it was so one sided and I'm broadly supportive of the Pacific island nations. Tomorrow hopefully will provide a better spectacle (thank god the England game is on at a reasonable hour) - Wales V SA on Sunday will be the one worth breaking out the popcorn for though.

A few of the Senior kids at dinner asked if I wanted to place a bet on this. I said yes and I've gone for Wales, despite them not having a hope in hell. :heh:

As a competition, for some reason I've always been more attached to the Six Nations than the World Cup. But, I'm excited for this. I only wish that it was earlier and that the football wasn't taking place at the same time...I like to focus on one sport at a time. :D

Well England haven't had the brightest start. Early days yet though.

What's with the England national teams Playing In black kits now?

Football we played Bulgaria in a black kit, and now black rugby. Dont get me wrong I like them, bur where's the good old White or red (although can't recall England rugby ever playing in red)

Yeah, certainly an interesting match the England v Argentina one. Seems the warm up games have helped get the Argentinians match ready because they're playing a lot better than they were a few weeks back (even if they're back line still looks a mess on occasion). Rather strange because England just don't seem to be in the game mentally. Wilkinson is having a rotten time with his kicks and they're just giving away so many penalties. I mean, while typing this out, they've given away 4 already.

At least England aren't the only ones having issues. Scotland beating Romania 34 - 24 was a bit iffy. Shouldn't have been that close. Even France had 21 scored against them by Japan.

edit: haha... streaker running the pitch in the England match. Brilliant :laughing:

edit 2: Wow, Wilkinson really is having an awful game. Really need to sub him.

Edited by Ganepark32

ITV just said that scotland are on 5pts and england are on 4. How does that work?

Just looked up the points scoring. It's 4 points for a win and 2 for a draw. On top of that, if a team loses by 7 points or less, they get 1 point (which is why Argentina are on 1 point) and if you score more than 4 tries you get an added 1 point (which is why Scotland have 5).

I'm currently watching a replay of Namibia vs Fuji, and it's by far the best game of the tournament so far. We all know Fuji are half-decent, but I'm surprise by Namibia - who'd of thought it?

Holy crap, I've just seen group C: Australia, Russia, USA, Ireland, Italy. That should be interesting, and in my mind Russia vs USA will spend the entire match on the brink of turning into a brawl.

Edited by The fish

Yeah, I wanted RSA to demolish Wales at first but by the end I was disappointed Wales didn't win.

Too many kickers struggling at the moment which is weird! Wilkinson missing 3 in a row is almost unheard of. Wales v RSA easily best game so far.

When are the next fixtures? At the weekend?

Yeah, I wanted RSA to demolish Wales at first but by the end I was disappointed Wales didn't win.

Too many kickers struggling at the moment which is weird! Wilkinson missing 3 in a row is almost unheard of. Wales v RSA easily best game so far.

When are the next fixtures? At the weekend?

On Wednesday there are a few games...

14 September:

Samoa v Namibia, Rotorua International Stadium (0330 BST)

Tonga v Canada, Northland Events Centre, Whangarei (0600 BST)

Scotland v Georgia, Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill (0830 BST)

from Wednesday looks like there is at least one game on a day.

Anyone watching New Zealand vs Japan...

it's a training match for NZ at the moment, 64-7 to NZ.

Yeah, hardly a poster match for rugby but it was always going to be the case with the bigger teams running all over the smaller ones.

Still, happy that Japan have at least got a try and some points on the board.

Was interesting to see Canada beat Tonga though. Thought it'd be close but didn't expect Canada to knock that one out.

Yeah, hardly a poster match for rugby but it was always going to be the case with the bigger teams running all over the smaller ones.

Still, happy that Japan have at least got a try and some points on the board.

Was interesting to see Canada beat Tonga though. Thought it'd be close but didn't expect Canada to knock that one out.

Canada vs Tonga was a unexpected result!

I wanted to watch the USA / Russia match but missed it. previous scorelines have indicated they'd be a good (yet scruffy) game to watch, however this time round it was a lot closer.

Well NZ 83 - JPN 7

at the end Japan didn't want to kick the ball out of play, then when NZ turned it over, they also refused to kick it out and went for a try themselves.

all over now though.

good game. but the dominant result was to be expected.