N-Europe

Zechs's Top 25 Wii Games

Zechs Merquise

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find Twilight Princess was trying to appeal too much to Ocarina of Time fans by pretty my retreading all the elements, story and location. Wind Waker was a truly original game and I've yet to play another game like it.

Another reason I don't like Twilight Princess as MUCH (I still like it) is that the amount of ideas it borrows from the utterly superior Okami is a bit disappointing.

Zechs have you played Okami? Because I'm really surprised at it's absence from the list. It really is better or as good as most of the 3D Zelda games, and has a much more unique and fresh feel than the most recent ones. It also uses the Wii's motion controls perfectly and is most certainly value for money with such a huge world and story.

Really saddened the franchise doesn't get the love it deserves.

Great list Zechs. I've enjoyed reading through. Hopefully in the fullness of time the Wii's strong, varied library will get the recognition it deserves. And to think we have Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and Dragon Quest X to go!

Another of my favs, not mentioned here, was Opoona. Clearly a Gamecube game shunted to Wii (running in 4:3 and interlaced), but a great little rpg with a unique world.

I must be one of the few who actually prefers SMG 1. A lot of the galaxies in the sequel felt incredibly lazy (the Mario Sunshine inspired one for a start, wtf was that?)

Same here. The original Galaxy felt polished and complete unto itself; Galaxy 2 was like an expansion pack padded out into a full game. For every inspired level there's a mundane one. Some felt very bland (all the 'flip' levels), and some just a case of going from A to B within a half-baked world. I did enjoy G2 enormously, but a lot of what it did the original had done before, so it lacked the freshness and wow factor. It was a tighter game and more challenging, yes, but some of the wonder and charm were sacrificed along the way imo.

Most of it is a pretty great list :hehe:

It just goes to show how many quality titles there are on the Wii when you consider personal favourites such as Excite Truck, Punch-Out!!, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, No More Heroes, Okami and Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure didn't even make Zechs' list :eek:

House of the Dead: Overkill, No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Mario Strikers: Charged Football and the excellent Pro Evolution Soccer series are other notable omissions..

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm really pleased so many people seem to have enjoyed reading the list.

Just to make a few things clear though -

I own around 60 Wii titles, and have played quite a few more! All of the titles I put on the list I own and have played extensively. I thought it was a little wrong to include things I hadn't played!

Titles that I don't own are not necessarily titles I don't want to own! I'm sadly constrained by both time and money. However, the fact I own around 60 games, managed to produce a top 25 games article and still have games I want to purchase that could quite legitamitely feature in that list shows what a stellar catalogue the Wii actually has!

One shocking omission from this top 25 list that deserves to be there far more than any of the FPSs on the list, and it's not even a retail game. World of Goo! :nono:

But yeah, interesting list. Things I agree with, things I don't but it's a personal list so my complaints are moot really (apart from the lack of WoG which really is shocking :heh:)

I have played World of Goo, and I really loved what I played of it, sadly however I didn't play enough of it to rate it overall and don't own it. I didn't include any WiiWare titles on the list and I only own three. I will however have to download World of Goo and give it a proper play through at sometime!

I find Twilight Princess was trying to appeal too much to Ocarina of Time fans by pretty my retreading all the elements, story and location. Wind Waker was a truly original game and I've yet to play another game like it.

Another reason I don't like Twilight Princess as MUCH (I still like it) is that the amount of ideas it borrows from the utterly superior Okami is a bit disappointing.

Zechs have you played Okami? Because I'm really surprised at it's absence from the list. It really is better or as good as most of the 3D Zelda games, and has a much more unique and fresh feel than the most recent ones. It also uses the Wii's motion controls perfectly and is most certainly value for money with such a huge world and story.

Really saddened the franchise doesn't get the love it deserves.

Okami is sadly a game that has always been on my list of games I want to buy, but have never got around to. It has been recommended to me by quite a few people and they all assure me it's great.

As for the Wind Waker vs Twilight Princess debate - I loved them both. I would have to say though, Wind Waker did lose it's way with that Triforce hunt. However I do understand why people prefer Wind Waker because it has such a distinct style and for that it is more memorable.

Great list Zechs. I've enjoyed reading through. Hopefully in the fullness of time the Wii's strong, varied library will get the recognition it deserves. And to think we have Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and Dragon Quest X to go!

Another of my favs, not mentioned here, was Opoona. Clearly a Gamecube game shunted to Wii (running in 4:3 and interlaced), but a great little rpg with a unique world.

I'm definetely looking forward to Skyward Sword and am interested in both Xenoblade and Dragon Quest X. Also, I'm obviously pretty hyped for Modern Warfare 3 as well! Plus, there's also games that I might pick up from the back catalogue too!

Did you totally not play Punch-Out!!!?

I have to give you props for making all the game summaries the EXACT same size.

Amazing!

I do have Punch-Out, and I really enjoyed it! It never made the cut because it was a little on the short side and I thought the lack of online was really disappointing in a game like that. However, as a revival of such an old school series, it was pretty awesome!

Also, thanks for noticing the size of the summaries, that did took some time, so I'm pleased someone noticed :)

Most of it is a pretty great list :hehe:

It just goes to show how many quality titles there are on the Wii when you consider personal favourites such as Excite Truck, Punch-Out!!, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, No More Heroes, Okami and Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure didn't even make Zechs' list :eek:

House of the Dead: Overkill, No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Mario Strikers: Charged Football and the excellent Pro Evolution Soccer series are other notable omissions..

Those are some great games you listed there, they could all well have been in my list but sadly I don't own some of them yet. I do have Punch-Out, HotD: Overkill and Pro Evo, but sadly I missed out on the others and might have to get them sometime.

I really would like to try Zack and Wiki, plus I actually ordered No More Heroes and when it came it was broken, so I sent it back, sadly that was the last copy the store had and I never got round to having it!

5. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

A new Zelda game is always a special thing, but a new Zelda as a launch title is something else. I know this was originally made for the Gamecube, but it still looked fantastic and the Wii remote controls actually enhanced the experience – especially aiming. Whereas Wind Waker seemed cut down and was padded out with that Triforce hunt at the end, Twilight Princess was huge. A massive over world, huge dungeons, plentiful side quests and the kind of classic gameplay that makes the Zelda series stand head and shoulders above the crowd. Oh, it also gets extra credit for Tingle not making a re-appearance.

He may have been called Purlo, but like a lot of others out there, I'm also of the mind that this guy is just Tingle by another name.

Purlo.png

Personally, I thought that Mario Kart Wii was the worst Mario Kart so far. The tracks were horrendously dull and the gameplay was a mess. It just completely lacked fun and felt terribly slow on the fastest mode. It was also very gimmicky.

Still, I fully agree with the rest of the top five, even though I haven't played number one. Just replace Mario Kart with Sonic Colours.

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this thread was a good idea, Zechs.

Somebody posted the idea of them putting their top 25, so I thought I'd do the same.

25. Zack and Wiki

I'm putting this on my list despite not owning it. The only game on this list where that is the case. From what I played whilst being with Ine, this is a great game with charm by the bucketload. Will definitely be playing more of this before this generation is over.

24. Battalion Wars 2

I never played the first, so this was completely new to me. Wow, there is a lot going on at once in this game. It's very fast, tactical, frantic, but also quite exhilarating. I did find that it could be a tad fiddly (control wise), which is probably why I didn't connect with it as much as I have done.

23. Red Steel 2

I like this game. It found it to be a huge improvement on the previous one, with a much more interesting art style, much better controls and far more interesting gameplay. However, the reason why it ranked pretty low on my list is that I didn't get around to finishing it.

22. Disaster: Day of Crisis

There are some interesting ideas in this game, particularly the amalgamation of several gaming genres into one. However, it does have a few issues, such as the clunky feeling when you control Ray and some of the graphics at times. However, at other times, the soundtrack fits the scene properly and the overall look can be pleasant. It's a shame that more time wasn't put in this to polish it up, because there is a great game hidden here.

21. Epic Mickey

Very charming. Right from the start with the opening cutscene, this game grabs you and sucks you in. I have done it a terrible disservice by not putting as many hours into it as I should. When I do so, I would imagine it ranks a lot higher on this list.

20. Cursed Mountain

Now this is different. A survival horror with a Buddhist religious element. The opening of this game is creepy and it unsettles you. Some of the effects within the game are implemented in a stunning fashion. However, the game seems to reach a point about 2/3s through where it seems to stop pushing boundaries and just settles down. It loses momentum, which is tragic. However, it is very much worth playing, as its still a great experience.

19. New Super Mario Bros Wii

I like this for the charm and also because it was pretty fun to play in co-op, again with Ine. Not sure why it isn't higher on my list, but I prefer a few other games to this one. It does seem to be missing something that makes it "great." But, it's still a solid and fun Mario Platformer.

18. No More Heroes

Suda does it again by making an interesting game that tends to defy logic and questions everything around us. It is a strange game, often feeling very bleak, but it does have a somewhat vibrant look to it. The game doesn't seem as clean as the second, which is why it ranks lower. However, the ending is definitely worth tuning in for.

17. Punchout!!

Pure Nintendo magic. At the same time, it is very challenging, despite it seeming very simplistic. I love the art style, the music, the voice clips, the montages, the controls, the whole lot is brilliant. I still have loads to do, so need to carry on with this.

16. No More Heroes 2

In a toss up between this and its predecessor, I believe this to be the better game. It feels cleaner for some reason. More touched up. The jobs are more fun to do and it doesn't feel as "gap filling" as it did before. The only criticism I have is that I feel the game takes a tiny bit of a dive when Shinobu is introduced, particularly when playing as her character.

15. Resident Evil 4

I found this hard to rank. Yes, I enjoyed it. But, it isn't what a Resident Evil should feel, in my opinion. There were limited moments of dread, instead replaced by numerous action sequences. In that respect, it is a very good action game and Leon is a very likeable hero. I will always remember this for the burning house scene, being trapped and fighting countless foes as they come through the doors, windows and crevices.

14. Monster Hunter Tri

It's odd that I'm putting this so high up, so soon. But, I think it deserves it. It's been such an enjoyable experience and I have really had a great time playing with Mokong and Redshell online. At first, this is verrrry overwhelming, considering that there is so much to do, see, kill and collect. I look forward to playing more!

13. Muramasa: The Demon Blade

It's a cross between a platformer, a side-scroller and an adventure game. This game immediately stands out because of its art style, but it is also very quirky. I fell in love with this instantly and really enjoyed collecting all of the swords within the game. They were there to collect if you wanted, but were not a necessity. But, somehow, this game makes you care - you want to collect. You want to play it. At no point does this feel like a chore. :)

12. De Blob

When I bought this, I wasn't sure what we would be getting. I wasn't sure whether it was going to be too simple, whether it would seem "too cute" or whether it would feel repetitive. However, this is one of the most charming, rewarding and fun games I've played this generation. The soundtrack was funky and complimented the art-y style of the game. A must have, in my opinion. :)

11. Fifa 2008

I'm putting this here because of the amount that I put into this game, which is a testament to how addictive it was. The speed of the game was spot on, the controls were nice and tight, the graphics were quite decent and the AI was unforgiving as always. It's such a shame that EA didn't repeat this feat with later editions of Fifa. They peaked too soon.

10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I play this with Ine everytime we meet up. It's like a ritual, and I really enjoy those moments. This has the impossible task of following in Melee's footsteps, but there is so much content here, so many characters to choose from and so much to see that I feel that it succeeds. The more I play, the more I appreciate this game. There's a few shitty stages, such as the wastelands mario bros stage and the old school DK one, they slightly ruin the experience.

9. Trauma Centre: New Blood

Perhaps another odd choice, but...this is a fantastic game. Its ok in single-player, but it comes into its own in Co-op. I've never played a co-op game where I felt so into the game, where the communication was so vital and where it really was a matter of life or death. I urge you all to play this if you can, in co-op.

8. Guitar Hero 3

This has to go there purely for the hours that I've spent on it. A stupid amount, along with the many moments that I shared it with my closest mates. It's fun, downright addictive and has a great soundtrack. It's a shame the series went to shit soon after, as this is a great game. Cherub Rock, Even Flow, Knights of Cydonia...ahhh.

7. Dead Space: Extraction

An odd-choice, you might say. But, this blew me away. Loved every second of it, with two of the chapters being some of my favourite moments this generation. It's a damn shame that a lot more people didn't experience this, as it's quite a nervy game. I didn't feel comfortable playing it, which is how it should be.

6. Little King's Story

It's cute, very fun, charming....but also f**king hard. This is Pikmin on acid. If that's possible. I'm convinced we'll never see a game like this again, unless there's a sequel, which I hope there will be.

5. Super Mario Galaxy

In a generation where platformers have dominated on the Wii, this is the one that has ruled them all. I've not played the second yet, but this was such a fun game. Again, I have special memories of purchasing this and playing it to the early hours of the morning. It's bright, vivid and so, so beautiful.

4. Excitetruck

A truly under-rated Wii game that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Its got a great sense of speed and there is such a feeling of satisfaction once you get an S rank. Muuuuch preferred this to Mario Kart.

3. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

This is a must for every Wii owner. I was addicted from the beginning right to the very end. There are also some real WTF moments that take place, one of them taking place to an Elvis Presley song that I won't be able to listen to again without thinking of that scene.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

The more I play this, the more I believe it to be my favourite Zelda. Something about this game just really does it for me. The soundtrack in the game has so many beautiful pieces (Hyrule Field Daytime, Night-time, Midna's Desperate Hour, Lake Hylia's theme) and it fits the mood well.

1. Metroid: Other M

Going to get slated to high hell for this. But, screw you, I loved it. Found it really compelling from beginning to end. I also have some great memories of playing through it during the winter, at night, where I seemed to find that sense of isolation that seems to have haunted the Metroid franchise. It's a really fun game to play, with a good fighting mechanism, and I loved the cut-scenes.

(yeah...couldn't sleep)

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Great list Fierce Link! I must say I really enjoyed reading it, some games in there I expected, some I didn't. There are some in there I have got, Like Disaster Day of Crisis and Punch Out which I have but didn't make my list! Interesting number one though.

I really liked seeing Silent Hill and Battalion Wars in there, two totally overlooked gems!

Dead Space: Extraction making the list (and so highly..) is a bit of a cause for concern :heh: I played the opening segment of it and hated it so I sold it soon after :hmm:

Then you went and put Excite Truck in your 4th spot and redeemed yourself :grin: As you basically said, it is much better than Mario Kart Wii and is without doubt my favourite racing game of this generation :bouncy:

Edited by nekunando

Dead Space: Extraction making the list (and so highly..) is a bit of a cause for concern :heh: I played the opening segment of it and hated it so I sold it soon after :hmm:

Whaaaat? Whats the matter with you?!

It's a great game, man. Worth sticking with. I'm tempted to play some tonight...

After Monster Hunter, of course!

Why doesn't anyone see the sheer genius of

Little King´s Story

???

if anything it should be number 1 on everybody´s list, because we live in a world where points of view do not exist:laughing:

I'd say Fierce Link is more up my alley when it comes to games.

Man, Beverage, I swear you are clinically insane!

I beg to differ.

Beverage is most probably THE most under-appreciated forum member of N-Europe.

His skilled use of language outperforms N-Europe's COD Clan by quite a fair amount:kiss:

Whaaaat? Whats the matter with you?!

It's a great game, man. Worth sticking with. I'm tempted to play some tonight...

After Monster Hunter, of course!

You think that's shocking... he didn't even like Monster Hunter either :hmm:

-1 hunter for the N-E Brotherhood :cry:

Monster Hunter Tri.. Dead Space: Extraction.. Little King's Story..? Not for me, thanks :heh:

I'll deliver my 'Top 25' at some point to show that there's more than enough quality on Wii to not even have to look near any of those :indeed:

Edited by nekunando
Automerged Doublepost

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!