N-Europe

Cringe-worthy words or phrases

Ellmeister

So someone on facebook just posted this:

1z33s79.jpg

I can't stand people saying 'banter' (I usually imagine some chav or 'hardnut' saying it for some reason) or the word 'epic'.

I know it is a bit of fun and everyone can say what they want blah blah blah, but the overuse of words because they seem to become cool really make me cringe and almost annoy me in some way.

Does anyone else have any particular words or phrases that they hear which makes them react to? Or is it just me being weird?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Hacker'/'Hack' is annoying when its used the wrong way (nine times out of ten the correct words are 'Cracker' and 'Crack');

'Memory Stick' is annoying when used to describe a USB device.

I doubt I'll need to explain "Could care less".

I doubt I'll need to explain "Could care less".

Ugh, horrible. That and "could of" really peeve me.

Can people explain more, I don't understand what is wrong with some of these words. :p

"Could care less" makes no sense. The original phrasing is "couldn't care less", i.e. something is so pointless that it's physically impossible for someone to care less about it.

"Could of" is a phonetic mishearing of the contraction "could've".

Can people explain more, I don't understand what is wrong with some of these words. :p

'Hacking' means trying to solve something that isn't necessarily a problem, whereas the word for breaking into a computer system is 'Cracking'.

For further reading see: http://stallman.org/articles/on-hacking.html

When talking about computer hardware, the word 'Memory' refers to RAM, whereas something that can hold data unpowered is considered storage. There's also a Sony proprietary flash memory card format called a 'Memory Stick', so it just isn't the right word for any sort of USB flash media.

Edited by Emasher

'Jokes' annoys me.

The phrase, "Mate, this going to be jokes!" makes so little sense that it angers and offends me whenever I hear it.

I also hate "banter". I've only ever heard it used to describe a situation in which one person was basically bullying the other, then when they were accused of being a massive dick, they say "Mate, it's just banter!"

No, it's you being a massive dick.

Banter has been around ages.. It's now moved on to the masses and being mistreated. Epic has been ruined beyond belief, so yeah for once I'm agreeing with Ellmeister. :o

Most internet phrases that make it off the net do my nut in, fail, win, [the previously mentioned] epic.. Ugh.

"Can I get" instead of "Can I have" when ordering food.

"I turned round and said..." What? Did you actually turn around? I think not. Pointless!

I know it's not phrases, but when people mix up your and you're or it's and its. "Congratulations on you're new baby. What's it's name?"

I also really hate it when people ask me a question in the middle of a sentence. It's usually southerners who do it. It's hard to describe but it's something like this. "So, this weekend, we are meeting up with Dave, and we are going to this restaurant? in the town centre" They say "restaurant" in a higher pitch so it sounds like a question. Like I don't know what a restaurant is. Fuck off!!

I also really hate it when people ask me a question in the middle of a sentence. It's usually southerners who do it. It's hard to describe but it's something like this. "So, this weekend, we are meeting up with Dave, and we are going to this restaurant? in the town centre" They say "restaurant" in a higher pitch so it sounds like a question. Like I don't know what a restaurant is. Fuck off!!

Maybe the person speaking isn't sure that it really is in a restaurant, because they haven't been there, or because they aren't organizing the thing? I don't see why else it would be used that way.

Anyway, my online woes of "could of" and "your/you're" have already been mentioned, so I don't have much to say.

Except that Yvonne is right: Crimbo and carbs are two horrible, horrible words.

EDIT: Wait, I do have another one: confusing accept and except. I've seen it so much, it's not funny. They have different meanings, different stresses (albeit slightly, at least for me) and one of them is even a verb with different conjugations.

Why is this mistake so commonplace?

Edited by Jonnas