N-Europe

Lucid dream

mcj metroid

I love dreams! Sometimes reality is too harsh. Sigmund Freud is my Idol. I can't ever recall having a lucid dream though. Boo.

It's interesting. Every now and then I become scared of sleeping. I relate the feeling of unconsciousness to death. I get so affrighted :(

I first read about lucid dreams about a few years ago, but I've never really seriously tried to experience one. I think I might try this summer though. I'd love to experience one of those dreams where you are in full control and can do anything one day.

On two occasions I've managed to realize I was dreaming, but I woke up moments after in both cases, so I wouldn't really count it.

I have loads of dreams. My recent one was a lucid dream-turned-nightmare-turned-lucid dream, which was pretty cool. So in my dreams, we were filming a Scream movie where I was being chased by Ghostface and I just threw things at him, punched him, kicked him and stuff and there was this stunt where I had to jump from the roof onto the grass. Anyways, when I did, I somehow banged my head and was in a nightmare where everything we were filming was real so I did actually have a killer chasing me.

So I basically did the same thing, tried my mobile phone and oh look, no reception! So I runs in the kitchen and grab a big-ass knife and grabbed a saucepan from the cooker and hid behind the kitchen door which was open. He comes in and I whack him with the saucepan, he falls to the floor and I kicked his knife away. I unmasked him and found out it was someone I didn't know. I asked who he was and he said he was one of my biggest fans who was jealous of my life and wanted to end it. I didn't believe him to which he smiled and pulled out a gun and then I woke up in the dream.

And then we replayed the stunt again and we did everything well and I saw the first 10 minutes of what I was in and then I woke up in real life. So yeah, pretty cool dream and I've not met anyone in that dream come to think of it. The only faces I knew were Wes Craven's, Kevin Williamson's, Courtney Cox's and Neve Campbell's.

I've had some awesome dreams and nightmares are pretty awesome to me because they're adrenaline-based.

I don't recall having (m)any.

Or rather, I'm kinda aware of the dream being fiction, but apart from that I'm as invested in the events as any other. It's just cause I 'paused' a dream once to get up and right it down at like 4am, and so for the remainder, I was kinda aware I would note it all down later. At the back of my mind.

its possible to train yourself to have them much more frequently. Merely training yourself to remember dreams more vividly and frequently is actually very easy, though I've found lucidity is a whole step above in difficulty. This site is a good resource.

h ttp://dreamviews.com/forum.php

man, still don't have 15 posts...

Also please no fat shaming, it's childish

Firstly, I'll say I'm skeptical of anyone saying they have lucid dreams more often than other kinds of dreams. Yes, it's possible to be able to set your dreams up in such a way that a trigger can make you aware that you're dreaming, and thus in a lucid dream, but the frequency of them isn't particularly high and I think some people claim to have experienced lucid dreams but in fact they've had a dream in the waking period, where you're no longer in a state of deep sleep, and thus retrospectively look back on the experience when fully wake thinking that what they've experienced was a lucid dream but wasn't. There's a very, very fine line between lucid and non-lucid dreaming.

I'm not saying it's not possible for people to have successive lucid dreams, as it's clearly not impossible, but to have them more frequently than other dreams seems off and seems to be part of this control culture where people want to believe they are manipulating everything, including their dreams.

Secondly, on the subject of people in dreams, it is right that the majority of people we will encounter/interact with are either from conscious or subconscious recollection. However, individual attributes for people (hair, eyes, ears, etc.) are also processed consciously and subconsciously because they are important features (and things like Dichotic listening tests and masking show that these important features can be recalled from memory even though they were subconsciously processed) and the brain is capable of putting these together to 'create' if you will a random person you'll have no recollection of, although it's likely that it'll be based off of the general aesthetics of someone you have already seen.

To my recollection, I've only ever had one true lucid dream. Others I've had have occurred in the waking period and don't really count as you're not really in a state of deep sleep, which you need to be for lucid dreams to occur.

What do you mean by a dream being in the waking period and needing to be in deep sleep? I though dreams occur in REM stages, which I thought was the shallowest stage of sleep, as well as the period we tend to wake up in?

I've got a good aura about you, Yvonne. Welcome :)

Give her back her aura you fiend!

What do you mean by a dream being in the waking period and needing to be in deep sleep? I though dreams occur in REM stages, which I thought was the shallowest stage of sleep, as well as the period we tend to wake up in?

By a dream occurring in the waking period I mean a dream occurring in that period between sleep and being awake, the hypnopompic stage, where it is has been suggested that the things we remember and can be associated with the idea of having had a lucid dream could come from. These things we remember could be coming from a wake initiated lucid dream however it is more likely that it is a normal dream state and the remembrance when awake is just of the more vivid elements that have occurred during.

As for the deep sleep part, I was shown a graph during the year at Uni showing that for lucid dreaming to occur during a normal sleeping pattern, as part of REM sleep, the person needed to be in a state of deep REM sleep. I'll try and track it down in the lecture notes if I can but that's what I was getting at in that what most people associate as a lucid dream, i.e. being asleep and realising that you as the dreamer are in a dream, occurs in this deeper state of REM sleep. Should probably have mentioned REM states alongside for better clarification so my bad.

Also, I wasn't aware that we woke up from a REM state in general. You do wake up after some REM cycles, the false awakening, but I didn't think you woke directly from it to being conscious as that can lead, potentially, to a hypnopompic state. I thought the REM cycle ended and then you woke up while being in a NREM state.

Firstly, I'll say I'm skeptical of anyone saying they have lucid dreams more often than other kinds of dreams. Yes, it's possible to be able to set your dreams up in such a way that a trigger can make you aware that you're dreaming, and thus in a lucid dream, but the frequency of them isn't particularly high and I think some people claim to have experienced lucid dreams but in fact they've had a dream in the waking period, where you're no longer in a state of deep sleep, and thus retrospectively look back on the experience when fully wake thinking that what they've experienced was a lucid dream but wasn't. There's a very, very fine line between lucid and non-lucid dreaming.

I'm not saying it's not possible for people to have successive lucid dreams, as it's clearly not impossible, but to have them more frequently than other dreams seems off and seems to be part of this control culture where people want to believe they are manipulating everything, including their dreams.

Secondly, on the subject of people in dreams, it is right that the majority of people we will encounter/interact with are either from conscious or subconscious recollection. However, individual attributes for people (hair, eyes, ears, etc.) are also processed consciously and subconsciously because they are important features (and things like Dichotic listening tests and masking show that these important features can be recalled from memory even though they were subconsciously processed) and the brain is capable of putting these together to 'create' if you will a random person you'll have no recollection of, although it's likely that it'll be based off of the general aesthetics of someone you have already seen.

To my recollection, I've only ever had one true lucid dream. Others I've had have occurred in the waking period and don't really count as you're not really in a state of deep sleep, which you need to be for lucid dreams to occur.

If it helps upon a bit of further research this is pretty much what I get. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/sleep_paralysis/

It explains why I tend to always get it when im hungover too. Lack of sleep and such.

By a dream occurring in the waking period I mean a dream occurring in that period between sleep and being awake, the hypnopompic stage, where it is has been suggested that the things we remember and can be associated with the idea of having had a lucid dream could come from. These things we remember could be coming from a wake initiated lucid dream however it is more likely that it is a normal dream state and the remembrance when awake is just of the more vivid elements that have occurred during.

As for the deep sleep part, I was shown a graph during the year at Uni showing that for lucid dreaming to occur during a normal sleeping pattern, as part of REM sleep, the person needed to be in a state of deep REM sleep. I'll try and track it down in the lecture notes if I can but that's what I was getting at in that what most people associate as a lucid dream, i.e. being asleep and realising that you as the dreamer are in a dream, occurs in this deeper state of REM sleep. Should probably have mentioned REM states alongside for better clarification so my bad.

Also, I wasn't aware that we woke up from a REM state in general. You do wake up after some REM cycles, the false awakening, but I didn't think you woke directly from it to being conscious as that can lead, potentially, to a hypnopompic state. I thought the REM cycle ended and then you woke up while being in a NREM state.

Ah, that makes some more sense then. Tbh I'm not all that up on my sleep science anymore, did used to find it quite interesting though. If you do have/find any good literature on it be sure to share!

If it helps upon a bit of further research this is pretty much what I get. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/08/sleep_paralysis/

It explains why I tend to always get it when im hungover too. Lack of sleep and such.

As scary as sleep paralysis is at the time, I do quite like looking back on it.

I've had both lucid dreams and wake-initiated lucid dreams, although the latter is very difficult and almost gives me a headache. It never lasts very long either, as I'm not in a deep state of sleep at all.

Quite interesting going into a WI-LD though, it's like there's a television or stage at the end of a long tunnel, and it gets closer and closer until you're asleep. Odd though.

The only thing I can remember dreaming last night is going to a magazine stand, and scrolling through a massive amount of magazines on the bottom shelf (I can vividly remember having to crouch down and through the magazines like I was travelling through the cupboard of Narnia) and trying to find Invincible. I found Walking Dead so was thinking I'd find it soon enough but it never turned up. Not sure what I was really looking for, I've never seen a real life Invincible comic.

Thought it was random and that ReZ would like to know :p

I think I had a lucid dream last night but I can't be sure as I only really controlled the last... 5 seconds of it.

I was being chased by this huge man in a cloak, he wasn't running after me but floating, like one of the Dementors off Harry Potter (but with a face like Sloth from The Goonies). Anyway, the thing caught up with me and threw me into a lake. I've always thought the worst possible way to die would be through drowning so this was (obviously) quite a terrifying dream. I kept trying to get back up for air but the thing kept dragging me deeper into the water. Just as I felt I was going to die I suddenly realized I was dreaming and so, out of nowhere, I wielded an xbox controller. I pressed the middle button and a deep voice said "Do you wish to return to the dash board". In my last few breaths I managed to say yes, whilst inhaling far too much water and... I was awake.

I now love my dashboard more than ever.

Whenever I have a lucid dream I always tend to instantly find a team of cheerleaders or something. It's pretty awesome.

Also, I never seem to drown in dreams. I often swim, but just when I start to worry about running out of air I breathe in and suddenly it's fine. At the time it makes perfect sense, too.