NEurope
Dog-amoto

Facebook: Do you share too much?

I just looked through a load of my past statuses - they're either about linguistics, or just random things like complaints about the weather, so I think I'm okay. :heh:

I seldom share on Facebook now. After befriending my mother's partner's son (who is 11) and several lecturers, past and present, I self-censored. So then I moved onto Twitter but now some companies I may wish to work for in the future follow me....so tumblr I guess?

Ah yeah, but you can privatize your tweets and choose who follows you.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to figure that out.

I very much doubt anyone random would be able to find out my address(es) from Facebook/the internet. How are you suggesting people would go about doing it?

There are tons of ways to do it. It depends on the person as well though. Once you get a real name and a city, you can often find a telephone number, and in many cases an address from that, for example. Even if you think you're being careful, there are tons of ways of getting that sort of information and it can be as simple as using your personal email address with a profile that has the same pseudonym as your other accounts.

Mcoy dosen't see a huge problem with facebook unless you go announcing massive house parties and invite everyone. Mcoy always gets a good chuckle out of reading those in the papers once every few months. Without facebook Mcoy would never have seen this class interview though.

My friend list is pretty selective, I want add family I'm not fond of, I won't add people I haven't known for at least a little while and certainly won't add anyone I don't care about.

I remove people after about 3 months or so of not speaking to them, it's a form of communication, if your not communicating why bother having them.

As for sharing - probably. I do tend to update facebook quite a bit, but now that it's people I know and like, it's not as much of an issue.

My Facebook is generally full of useless nonsensical status updates, pictures or links. Why anyone still has me as a friend is beyond me.

As far as personal information goes I'm pretty sure I only have my e-mail and a link to places I post things on (Which has gone down to a mere two, N-Europe being one) so I'm safe in that respect.

Still, Myspace is where it's at.

Mcoy dosen't see a huge problem with facebook unless you go announcing massive house parties and invite everyone. Mcoy always gets a good chuckle out of reading those in the papers once every few months. Without facebook Mcoy would never have seen this class interview though.

I didn't see this when posting but that is one of the best interviews ever. I am very glad he didn't take his glasses off.

Ah yeah, but you can privatize your tweets and choose who follows you.

I do privatise my tweets and choose who follows me. I'd like potential employers to follow me so they know me when I apply, just not for the wrong reasons. Gone are the days of randomly quoting Kanye West :(

Although I should probably talking about my desire to kill my landlady...

There are tons of ways to do it. It depends on the person as well though. Once you get a real name and a city, you can often find a telephone number, and in many cases an address from that, for example. Even if you think you're being careful, there are tons of ways of getting that sort of information and it can be as simple as using your personal email address with a profile that has the same pseudonym as your other accounts.

You could do that without facebook.

Quite easily. For instance, a quick look reveals that you have all that information on your steam profile. However, Facebook has the added bonus of having people post that they're going to be out between such and such times.

My full address on my steam profile?!

Good luck finding me in Chelmsford Emasher.

LOL at my steam profile. That is so old.

No, but your real name and town are, from there it shouldn't be too hard to find you in the telephone directories.

You can take comfort in the fact that I live across the pond.

Simple rule: every time you post something on Facebook (or the internet in general), assume you're announcing it to the whole world.

It really doesn't matter who's on your friends list; if you say it, everyone can see it, and the way people gossip, everyone sure as heck will know about if it's anything interesting. And yes, never announce when you're going out or going on holiday. Tell them when you get back, not before!

For me, I have my website listed as I use FB to get business. So all it takes is a quick google search to find my address.

Meh. I rarely use Facebook as it is, and there is always someone in the house. Whether it is me, Vauchian, The Doc, Bart Bin-Suparman, Prov Donk, Jean Grey, Tetley or...whoever.

Meh. I rarely use Facebook as it is, and there is always someone in the house. Whether it is me, Vauchian, The Doc, Bart Bin-Suparman, Prov Donk, Jean Grey, Tetley or...whoever.

You forgot Claire.

Looking at it like that I actually announce a fair amount of Facebook, latest example would be informing everyone that I was seeing the Foo Fighters on Sunday.

And how I got in at 6am Saturday after a heavy night.

Basically.... I'm the type of facebook user alot of you don't like by looking at the previous posts in this thread :p

You forgot Claire.

It takes a lot of effort to invent all these people, he can't remember them all.

I had around 320 FB friends a couple of weeks ago and decided to cull a ton, now only have 176, and to be quite honest I could bin a few more.

It does make the news feed much more tolerable, and events are hella easier to organise.

Not heard about this Google Project + malarkey.