NEurope
Dog-amoto

Facebook: Do you share too much?

Not heard about this Google Project + malarkey.

The main thing is Circles.

You put people into circles (one or more). When you post anything on it you can easily choose who you want it to appear to:

- Just you.

- A few select people.

- A (few) circle(s) of people.

- All circles.

- Expanded circles (your circles and people in their circles).

- Everyone on the internet.

Selecting what you want is really easy, too.

Facebook makes you share too much anyway, it's more or less like writing an autobiography sometimes. If you had a date you met through Facebook, all they have to do is look at your page and she'll know your likes and dislikes, where you work, your birthday what schools you went to, where you live, where you were born, who your family members are, who your friends are, etc. It'd take away a bit of the first date where you get to know someone. It's good in one way but mostly bad (of course, depending on if you share and are truthful in what you've said, to which quite a few people are).

I don't have Facebook anymore but when I did, I didn't really share anything because I didn't see the need to. The thing I used to hate with people is when they say "Oh my God, I'm seriously angry right now!" or "I can't believe that just happened to me!" and when you ask them what has happened, they say "I don't want to talk about it!"....well, why the fuck mention it in the first place?!

Same goes for those who have little digs at people like "That one person has royally pissed me off!" and when someone asks who it was, they say "Never mind, it's nothing to do with you!"...then why even bring your business on Facebook, you attention-seeking idiots! I just sit there like "Who honestly cares? If you're going to state something like this, at least have the balls to say who fucked you off or don't say anything at all!"

I also don't like how every single photo you take is uploaded on there when you give them to your friends. I don't mind them being uploaded with my permission but sometimes, I'd rather not be asked. Why do you have to share every single photo you take with the whole entire world? I don't really get it myself. Like I gave photos from my camera to my friend and he says "I'm going to upload them to Facebook" but at least he asked permission before doing so. He don't really get why I don't like pictures being uploaded there but I personally think that if it's pictures of good memories, I wouldn't want the whole wide world to see it, just close family and friends. I don't mind a couple uploaded or whatever but not ALL of them, I see no point. It's cool if you have family or friends abroad and you want to share but isn't there any way you can set it to private so only certain people can see it? Is nothing private?

I recently used Facebook for my movie reviews and even then, I see no point in using it so much so I deleted the account. As you can see, I dislike Facebook, haha.

Yeah, but everyone is already on Facebook.

Except for me! ;)

The main thing is Circles.

You put people into circles (one or more). When you post anything on it you can easily choose who you want it to appear to:

- Just you.

- A few select people.

- A (few) circle(s) of people.

- All circles.

- Expanded circles (your circles and people in their circles).

- Everyone on the internet.

Selecting what you want is really easy, too.

This sounds like a pretty good idea. So you can select who you don't mind viewing your photos?

The circles thing sounds like too much hassle to bother thinking about. We do so much categorizing in our lives that I'd rather avoid it where possible.

Not really a fan of facebook, so no not there I don't, but on the internet in general I think I'm quite private anyway, I don't like to put too much out there, unless it's general forum chatter, I'll think about things before I post them.

I don't have Facebook anymore but when I did, I didn't really share anything because I didn't see the need to. The thing I used to hate with people is when they say "Oh my God, I'm seriously angry right now!" or "I can't believe that just happened to me!" and when you ask them what has happened, they say "I don't want to talk about it!"....well, why the fuck mention it in the first place?!

Same goes for those who have little digs at people like "That one person has royally pissed me off!" and when someone asks who it was, they say "Never mind, it's nothing to do with you!"...then why even bring your business on Facebook, you attention-seeking idiots! I just sit there like "Who honestly cares? If you're going to state something like this, at least have the balls to say who fucked you off or don't say anything at all!"

So true, I couldn't agree more! Bloomin' attention seekers. Don't get me wrong, if they're genuinely upset I'd want to help, but as you say, if it really mattered to them they should explain themselves.

You mentioned dates. I don't mind people being able to see my likes and dislikes, but I do find it a bit odd that you are expected to put things like "...is in a relationship with..." In my day that wasn't exactly everyone's business, and yet if you refused to do it the person in question would be suspicious!

Another thing is that it's not what you say, but who you are. It's annoying when popular people give one-word status updates like "beer" and get 20 "Likes".

All the same, I do like Facebook. I think we should remember that we are totally in control of what we put on there, and it's just a tool for us to use.

So true, I couldn't agree more! Bloomin' attention seekers. Don't get me wrong, if they're genuinely upset I'd want to help, but as you say, if it really mattered to them they should explain themselves.

You mentioned dates. I don't mind people being able to see my likes and dislikes, but I do find it a bit odd that you are expected to put things like "...is in a relationship with..." In my day that wasn't exactly everyone's business, and yet if you refused to do it the person in question would be suspicious!

Another thing is that it's not what you say, but who you are. It's annoying when popular people give one-word status updates like "beer" and get 20 "Likes".

All the same, I do like Facebook. I think we should remember that we are totally in control of what we put on there, and it's just a tool for us to use.

It's not exactly that you don't mind putting your likes and dislikes exactly but it kind of spoils that mystery of a first date. Like the first date is the date where you get to know someone but now, all you have to do is go on Facebook and search them and there's all the information you have on them. It spoils that bit of mystery and spark of getting to know someone and can even ruin something to talk about. We've all been there on our first dates where we can't find a topic of conversation and there's that awkward silence, well imagine it with Facebook in both of your lives, there'd be nothing to say that you don't already know about your date or vice versa!

Hmm, do you actually read people's profiles, though, or fill out yours extensively? I remember when I first joined Facebook I said I liked Ghostbusters and left it at that! :heh:

Hmm, do you actually read people's profiles, though, or fill out yours extensively? I remember when I first joined Facebook I said I liked Ghostbusters and left it at that! :heh:

I don't have Facebook but I didn't fill out mine at all. I just put my name and age, put my 5 favourite movies and that was it.

I know this will sound weird but I've noticed a massive change in Facebook or maybe the Internet in general. People tend to give out information more easily than they used to. I mean, I was on Facebook the other day on my friend's account and I couldn't believe the amount of people who actually put a picture of their house on there and things like that.

Nothing is private anymore.

The circles thing sounds like too much hassle to bother thinking about. We do so much categorizing in our lives that I'd rather avoid it where possible.

The UI and animations make it feel like it isn't a hassle. Also, since everyone isn't on it, you don't have to do massive amounts of organising. Just put the people in their circles as they join.

To be fair most of my facebook posts are on friends pages but when I do update, it's usually youtube vids of simpsons footage :D

It was the fact I shared emotion on Facebook that I discovered a girl who I really wanted to start a relationship had slept with half my American Football team at Uni. In my opinion, as brutal as it was finding out on Facebook, it hurt a lot less than finding out first hand by seeing it yourself, which has happened before

A few posts late but I fucking fucking fucking cannot stand those stupid fucking wanker posts as detailed by Dazz. "So angry". "How come?". "I'll message you".

Fuck off.

And "That awkward moment when" can fuck off as well, as 95% of the time they're not awkward in the slightest. Attend an N-Europe meet with me and see how react to the general public, then you'll know what an awkward situation is.

That awkward moment when a lovable and friendly dog comes up to you in a park and Rez uses you as a human shield.

That awkward moment when your nan makes a facebook joke, lol jk she doesn't use facebook.

I'm sure there's a few others but I can't think of them now. Something about being a bad ass or something?

EDIT: Fearless bastard, that's the one.

hat awkward moment when your nan makes a facebook joke cos she's a fearless bastard, lol jk she doesn't use facebook.

Edited by MoogleViper

That awkward moment when your nan makes a facebook joke, lol jk she doesn't use facebook.

I'm sure there's a few others but I can't think of them now. Something about being a bad ass or something?

EDIT: Fearless bastard, that's the one.

hat awkward moment when your nan makes a facebook joke cos she's a fearless bastard, lol jk she doesn't use facebook.

That awkward moment when your nan takes her slippers off after a hard day of making facebook jokes cause she's a fearless bastard, lol jk she doesn't use facebook because she's a fucking top guy.

That's why I barely use it; though anyone who comes on here can learn I have a PS3 and such.

If they read this post they'll also learn that my morality doesn't rule out "murder" or even torture under certain circumstances however, and so may think twice about breaking into my home.

Edited by Kurtle Squad