NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

I needs me some recommendations as I'm only currently watching naruto and bleach. So something along the lines of that. Ideally something shortish. I've got One Piece on the list, but I'd like some short stuff to watch as well.

Definitely Full Metal Panic! It is short(24 episodes) and brilliant.

In case of confusion if you do decide to watch it, Full Metal Panic! is the first season and Full Metal Panic! Second Raid is the second. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is the more comedy oriented companion series that takes place between the two.

Isn't bleach just a giant filler anyway?...

Anyway, lately haven't been watching anything except Naruto and OP, ocasionally. Still like them both, but I'm not feeling them as much, maybe I just grew up...

Been more of a reader than a watcher these last 3 years. Vinland Saga being the best stand out in recent years. Kept following the classics like Vagabond, Real, Berserk, Blade Of The Immortal, etc etc...

Got tired of Gantz, it's entertaining, but... it just isn't good! Same for MPD Psycho.

Recently read Sanctuary... fantastic stuff!!

I still need to watch the Second Raid, never seem to get around to it. I really enjoyed the first season of Full Metal Panic though.

Anyway, lately haven't been watching anything except Naruto and OP, ocasionally. Still like them both, but I'm not feeling them as much, maybe I just grew up...
Personally I think OP has weakened a lot lately. The quality of animation has gone up but the skill of the art fluctuates and all the charm has disappeared. Also they're so close to the manga that they're dragging everything out. Not only that but the prison arc was one of the worst so far, I think, both in manga and anime. Just a dull arc - probably infinitely better if you find cross dressing guys with inexplicably giant heads funny, but I guess I don't :/
Also; does anyone keep a MAL (myanimelist) profile. Could be interesting to share & buddy up

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/shorty

Its a shame I didn't get a chance to see Akira at the Barbican. Even though I own it on DVD I'd love to see it on the big screen.

Anyway this thread inspired me to watch anime tonight. Couldn't think what so I'm going to watch Interstella 5555 as I've been meaning to for a long time.

Although recommendations for films would be good. My topics/themes de jour are cities/the city (ie big sprawling landscapes, our relationships with etc), cybernetics (but more theoretical like GitS not just mecha stuff) and...other stuff I've forgotten.

Gantz was great until the major twist which was crap.

Gantz just went mental o_o (more mental...) It's more than a twist, it's like he decided he wanted to write a completely different manga but instead of starting from scratch he took his established story and turned it into... what it is now.

I read the mangas as opposed to watching animes any more too I must say.

I tend to read anything Ellmeister recommends as it always turns out to be awesome (thank you as always Ellmeister)!

Gantz just went mental o_o (more mental...) It's more than a twist, it's like he decided he wanted to write a completely different manga but instead of starting from scratch he took his established story and turned it into... what it is now.

Completely, I actually really liked it before. The beginning was too ecchi (sp?) but ignoring that it was quite compelling and the ideas were different now I also see how it seems like he's completely changed it!

Its a shame I didn't get a chance to see Akira at the Barbican. Even though I own it on DVD I'd love to see it on the big screen.

Anyway this thread inspired me to watch anime tonight. Couldn't think what so I'm going to watch Interstella 5555 as I've been meaning to for a long time.

Although recommendations for films would be good. My topics/themes de jour are cities/the city (ie big sprawling landscapes, our relationships with etc), cybernetics (but more theoretical like GitS not just mecha stuff) and...other stuff I've forgotten.

Akira was on Sky last night, but I didn't have the time to watch it. Really want to, and many ghibli movies I'm yet to see =/ We should do a marathon sometime.

I read the mangas as opposed to watching animes any more too I must say.

I tend to read anything Ellmeister recommends as it always turns out to be awesome (thank you as always Ellmeister)!

You're welcome :D Have you kept up with Bloody Monday season 2? Last one of current series came out today. I thought it was rushed and a bit anti-climactic after how good most of the series has been.

I personally really enjoyed Impel down. :)

Ooh ooh! :grin:

I saw Akira at the Barbican last week. :D It was immense. Full screen. First time watching it as well, mental stuff.

Also went to the Watch Me Move Exhibition before hand.

...You're welcome :D Have you kept up with Bloody Monday season 2? Last one of current series came out today. I thought it was rushed and a bit anti-climactic after how good most of the series has been.

Yes I have and I admit it did seem a little rushed, although I never expected The Storyteller to be who it was (huge surprise)... I'm really looking forward to season 3!

I personally really enjoyed Impel down. :)

I mean this in the best possible way:

you would :heh:

Yes I have and I admit it did seem a little rushed, although I never expected The Storyteller to be who it was (huge surprise)... I'm really looking forward to season 3!

I think the whole hibiki mushy stuff should be toned down. Nobody cares if falcon is in love. There was no climactic race to hack in, in the last chapter he just sort of does it even though it is supposed to be incredibly hard >_<

I think the whole hibiki mushy stuff should be toned down. Nobody cares if falcon is in love. There was no climactic race to hack in, in the last chapter he just sort of does it even though it is supposed to be incredibly hard >_<

I completely agree, and the whole Falcon & Hibiki love situation I just can't buy into. I just don't see any reason for him loving her so I can't buy it even if the author tells me that they are in love! lol

Edited by Kav

I always thought she'd betray him, but didn't expect a fake hibiki to be there instead of the real one.

Also the 'storyteller' makes little sense really. I think the first season had it all, was always going to be a mission to better the first series.

You started any new ones lately?

Yup, Arrietty, the current Ghibly will play starting Wednesday here, so I’ll be seeing it (and probably open up a thread for it).

Just starting watching Ao no Exorcist last night, saw the first few episodes and it is good so far.

I had tickets for the UK premiere of Arrietty a month ago but I couldn't go :(

Gantz was great until the major twist which was crap.

It wasn't great. It was enjoyable and it kept you going to see how crazy it would get... but there was nothing there. The story sucked, it had no relevance, the characters are empty... It looks cool and feels cool, basically.

No relevance to what? I'd like you to show me a manga/anime that has relevance. The characters aren't empty either, they've progressed and changed, sure it isn't the most in-depth emotional manga but if you look at it as just all out action then I don't see why it wasn't great.

I'd like you to show me a manga/anime that has relevance.

Welcome to the NHK, Clannad (if you're massively sentimental about families), Honey and Clover, some of the Miyazaki stuff (if that counts as anime).

But yeah, it's a short list, as anime is mostly about style and entertainment over everything else. Which isn't always a bad thing.

Touché! I guess I generalised too much, but I kinda meant the majority aren't relevant they are just for entertainment like you say.

I like it therefore it is great.

Got my copy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 boxset today, can't wait to start watching that :) Got the movie preordered as well.

You could have just saved yourself the money and bought the first 4-5 episodes, then watched the last episode about 7 or 8 times, lol.

It's not the last ep that repeats over and over, there's 9 after it ;)

Still, a boxset for that seems a bit... wrong.