N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

Agree that both should be banned, both pure thuggery.

I'd say there aren't many good wingers in the Premiership. In the whole league I rate Adam Johnson and Bale. I like Albrighton, I think he has a bright future, and N'Zogbia has disappeared since he went to Villa. If you can count Mata as a winger, although i don't think he is, he'd be the best in the league.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm...yer actually. The one right on the corner, haha.

King's allowed one mistake ;). There's some amazing stat that I can't remember, but it relates the the last time we lost with King in our team. He is imperious at times.

I'm guessing you've graduated?

Yep, graduated last summer (although I had my ceremony last Thursday, we may have passed each other if you were on campus). I come back every now and then, will probably be going to Real Ale Festival whenever it is.

King is still one of the best defenders in the prem, so I can forgive him for that one mishap.

I know we've been talking about Balotelli and Lescott being malicious, but seems this has gotten under the radar, Peter Crouch in the 2-1 defeat to West Brom on Saturday, well I'll let you guys see what you think.

Peter Crouch's eye-gouge on Jonas Olsson - YouTube

I'd hardly call it a gouge, more a poke in the eye. Still, what an odd thing to do.

Agree that both should be banned, both pure thuggery.

I'd say there aren't many good wingers in the Premiership. In the whole league I rate Adam Johnson and Bale. I like Albrighton, I think he has a bright future, and N'Zogbia has disappeared since he went to Villa. If you can count Mata as a winger, although i don't think he is, he'd be the best in the league.

Hmm, I don't agree with that. Bale is brilliant, and Adam Johnson is a good player, but even he doesn't get much of a look in with that City squad.

What about Nani, Valencia and Young? All are pretty consistent (I'm sure it's Valencia's middle name) whilst Nani has struggled for some time to gain that consistency, but is there now, imo.

Then, there's the likes of Matt Jarvis who I like quite a bit. Gutierrez for Newcastle who has been brilliant at times. There's Aaron Lennon who I admit plays in phases, but on his day is really quite something special.

There's also Silva and Nasri, who are good attacking players who can play on the wing, but I'm not sure if I'd count them as wingers. Same with Mata really.

Flourant Malouda has it in him, although he's been off the boil for a while. Shame as he looked pretty awesome not too long back.

Walcott's confidence is just shot to shit. You can see it in his face. He is too scared to go around people anymore and has no confidence in his ability.

Wasn't he a striker anyway before he joined Arsenal? why did Arsene start playing him on the wing? purely cos of his pace? maybe chuck him in the reserves for a bit up front and see what he does.

Hmm, I don't agree with that. Bale is brilliant, and Adam Johnson is a good player, but even he doesn't get much of a look in with that City squad.

What about Nani, Valencia and Young? All are pretty consistent (I'm sure it's Valencia's middle name) whilst Nani has struggled for some time to gain that consistency, but is there now, imo.

Then, there's the likes of Matt Jarvis who I like quite a bit. Gutierrez for Newcastle who has been brilliant at times. There's Aaron Lennon who I admit plays in phases, but on his day is really quite something special.

There's also Silva and Nasri, who are good attacking players who can play on the wing, but I'm not sure if I'd count them as wingers. Same with Mata really.

Flourant Malouda has it in him, although he's been off the boil for a while. Shame as he looked pretty awesome not too long back.

I wouldn't say Young and Valencia are top wingers, they are good, but not anywhere near Bale or Johnson, imo.

Jarvis is very average, Gutierrez is ok, but they don't deserve to be named among the others.

Lennon is massively overrated, Walcott is better.

I don't count Silva, Nasri or Mata as wingers, but Mata is the closest to a winger. They are all immense.

I'd put Malouda in between the Valencia's and Jarvis's.

I wouldn't say Young and Valencia are top wingers, they are good, but not anywhere near Bale or Johnson, imo.

Jarvis is very average, Gutierrez is ok, but they don't deserve to be named among the others.

Lennon is massively overrated, Walcott is better.

I don't count Silva, Nasri or Mata as wingers, but Mata is the closest to a winger. They are all immense.

I'd put Malouda in between the Valencia's and Jarvis's.

Young was on fire at the start of the season. He had a loss of form and a bad injury, but he looks very good in a United shirt. Valencia has been nothing short of first class since he's joined. He has 8 assists already, and managed 7 in his first season at the club. Last season was blighted by bad injuries. Currently, he's one of my favourite United players and great both defensively and offensively. (certainly better than Johnson defensively, and probably Bale, too)

You're over-rating Johnson a touch there. He looks good and has a lot of promise, but he's not made it at City in the same way that Bale has made it at Spurs, or Valencia at United. It's a shame, as I think he should be starting every week.

Walcott vs Lennon is an on-going debate, but the truth is that they haven't fulfilled their initial promise. Of the two, I prefer Lennon.

All of the above are better than Stewart Downing and Dirk "Striker on the Wing" Kuyt, mind. ;)

Kuyt isn't even a winger, so that point is invalid. :p Downing on the other hand, really needs to improve quickly. He started off great, he looked dangerous but has just fell off a cliff. If that amazing run and shot against Sunderland had gone in first game of the season, things would probably be different.

Kuyt isn't even a winger, so that point is invalid. :p Downing on the other hand, really needs to improve quickly. He started off great, he looked dangerous but has just fell off a cliff. If that amazing run and shot against Sunderland had gone in first game of the season, things would probably be different.

I was joking about Kuyt, hence the striker on the wing comment and wink. :heh:

So glad to see Liverpool win tonight. Very tense to watch though in that second half!

I still think Henderson needs to be dropped though. He just disappears for large portions of games and his spot could be used by someone who will actually bring something to the team.

I thought Henderson was brilliant tonight, his workrate and composure is second to none. Who do you suggest replaces him?

So proud of the team, we were much better than City. They all ran themselves into the ground and put 100% into every second of the game. The players were brilliant, selection was spot on, everything was right. :)

Wembley! :D

I thought Henderson was brilliant tonight, his workrate and composure is second to none. Who do you suggest replaces him?

You seem to think Henderson is brilliant everytime I bring this up though so im not suprised.

Im not sure who I would want to replace him, I still find it hard to figure out exactly where in midfield he plays!

You seem to think Henderson is brilliant everytime I bring this up though so im not suprised.

Im not sure who I would want to replace him, I still find it hard to figure out exactly where in midfield he plays!

I can only remember one other time where you have said Henderson hasn't been good enough, and i just disagree. :p

He's best when in plays in an advanced central role, and that's where he excelled tonight. He's still young and adjusting to playing for a massive club. Give him time, and I'm certain he will become a top Premiership player.

How good has Bellamy been though since signing for us. Surely has to be a front runner for signing of the season. He's been phenomenal.

Being in Oz sucks for football news, at the moment. No channel we have has any coverage of the prem (no sports package) and no MOTD... iplayer won't let me watch stuff either so I can't catch-up... :'( BBC is so bland about reporting the headlines. Drama has been sucked right out. Hoping I can find some sort of pub or bar or someplace for the euros...

Being in Oz sucks for football news' date=' at the moment. No channel we have has any coverage of the prem (no sports package) and no MOTD... iplayer won't let me watch stuff either so I can't catch-up... :'( BBC is so bland about reporting the headlines. Drama has been sucked right out. Hoping I can find some sort of pub or bar or someplace for the euros...[/quote']

Having not tried it, I'm not sure if it's possible, although i advised my dad (who lives in Kenya) to try it; have you tried using a proxy ip address to fake being in Britain?

If you're morally opposed to using iPlayer without having paid your licence fee, send me the money and i'll pay it for you.

Nike put up United poster at Manchester City – then take it down again

Now you see it – now you don’t ... Nike have got football fans scratching their heads after putting up a billboard of United’s Danny Welbeck outside City’s ground – then taking it down hours later.

In a move that could have infuriated the Blue half of Manchester, the red, white and black poster went up yesterday morning on the side of a shop just yards from the Etihad Stadium.

It featured a picture of Reds striker Welbeck and the words: ‘Respect the past, be the future’.

The slogan could have been interpreted as a jibe at the Blues’ lack of success until recent times, compared with the Nike-sponsored Reds.

But just hours later workmen returned and took down the billboard. Nike – famous for its ‘Just do it’ slogan– declined to comment on the ad – and why it was so shortlived.

But one eyewitness said: “I spoke to one of the workmen and they said they had been told to take it down because they were worried it may have been damaged.â€

A City source said the Blues had not received any complaints and had not spoken to Nike about it. The poster was removed from the side of Tony’s Chippy shortly after the M.E.N. contacted Nike to ask about it.

The billboard prompted memories of the now-infamous ‘Welcome to Manchester’ sign put up on Deansgate when former Red Carlos Tevez joined the Blues in 2009. That was a dig about United’s Old Trafford ground lying outside the boundaries of Manchester.

C_71_article_1471688_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?24%2F01%2F2012%2008%3A46%3A21%3A044

Heh, thought it may be worth a read for you guys.

They knew exactly what they were doing. It's an advert and although it didn't stay up long far more people are talking about it than who would have saw it at the Etihad.

Someone at Nike's marketing department is getting the beers bought for him tonight.