Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

I thought the game itself was mixed. Arsenal started off very brightly, but United eased into it and finished the first half strongly. I thought Valencia, Nani and Evra offered great width and gave Djourou in particular a hard time. Valencia took his goal really well.

Second half was weird. United eased off a bit too much for my liking, whilst Arsenal created some great chances. I really thought Ramsey had scored, but thankfully it went over the bar. As for Van Persie's miss, that was insane, would've put my house on him burying that.

Oxlade-Chamberlain (sp?) was by far the best Arsenal player today. He looked very comfortable on the ball and was very creative with it. I can see the sense in him going off at some point in the game, as he is young and this is a tiring game at this level, but it was wrong to take him off at that moment. He just helped Arsenal get back into the game, and was their brightest spark, so taking him off just killed all the momentum in Arsenal's attack. That, and the injury to Walcott which allowed United time for a breather.

Terrible decision by Wenger. Quite uncharacteristic, I thought. To take a player off like that, at that stage is madness. It would have been like us taking off Valencia for Fabio or something. Well, actually no, because United fans generally like Fabio. ;) (I'm ashamed to admit that I was grinning like a bitch when I saw Arshavin coming on for OxCham)

Overall, I'm happy with the win. A much needed 3 points, because if we had lost today, City would have built up a good lead. Although, the gap between the top 2 and everyone else is widening.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen the Man City/Spurs game on Match of the Day 2. Balotelli and Lescott should both have been sent off. Straight reds for both, no doubt about it.

Balotelli may have an element of doubt about it (for some), but Lescott's was pure thug-like behaviour.

No place for it in the game. In my opinion they should both get retrospective reds. We lost the game ourselves though.

What that game did prove however is that we're the best of the rest. I'm going to be seriously pissed off if Chelsea (less so) or Arsenal finish above us this season because for the first time in years we clearly have the better team, and we're proving it on the pitch.

We still have a small shot at the title but that's not our aim and never has been. I'm confident we have a good shot at beating United (first time in a flipping age) when they come to the Lane, so who knows.

No place for it in the game. In my opinion they should both get retrospective reds. We lost the game ourselves though.

What that game did prove however is that we're the best of the rest. I'm going to be seriously pissed off if Chelsea (less so) or Arsenal finish above us this season because for the first time in years we clearly have the better team, and we're proving it on the pitch.

We still have a small shot at the title but that's not our aim and never has been. I'm confident we have a good shot at beating United (first time in a flipping age) when they come to the Lane, so who knows.

Playing great football is important. But sometimes you have to go another route to win games. Winning ugly, which is what many consider an attribute that Arsenal lack in recent years, yet essential to win a title.

Take today's game for example. It's great for the neutrals, but I'm sure many Spurs fans would happily trade it for a messy 1-0 win.

That'll be the learning curve for Spurs, imo. Finding ways to win games from somewhere. The first thing on their agenda has to be bringing in another striker. City could bring on Balotelli who changed the game, whereas Adebayor who has been very influential was unable to play today. So, that's the area I think Spurs need to improve.

Once they crack that, I reckon they'll be in with an even greater shout. They're just missing that, imo.

Playing great football is important. But sometimes you have to go another route to win games. Winning ugly, which is what many consider an attribute that Arsenal lack in recent years, yet essential to win a title.

Take today's game for example. It's great for the neutrals, but I'm sure many Spurs fans would happily trade it for a messy 1-0 win.

That'll be the learning curve for Spurs, imo. Finding ways to win games from somewhere. The first thing on their agenda has to be bringing in another striker. City could bring on Balotelli who changed the game, whereas Adebayor who has been very influential was unable to play today. So, that's the area I think Spurs need to improve.

Once they crack that, I reckon they'll be in with an even greater shout. They're just missing that, imo.

I would argue that we've won ugly many times this year though. We're lacking up front to truly be a team that will win the title.

The sad thing is, unless something drastic changes I truly believe Man City will be big favourites for the title for years to come. No-one will be able to compete for the top transfers.

I would argue that we've won ugly many times this year though. We're lacking up front to truly be a team that will win the title.

The sad thing is, unless something drastic changes I truly believe Man City will be big favourites for the title for years to come. No-one will be able to compete for the top transfers.

Yeah, I'd say have you done at times, but then a game like today is a different matter, I guess. The thing with Tottenham is that because they play good football, they're going to be expected to play good football for every game. Whereas, some games will need to be closed and tight for most of the 90 mins. Smash and grab type games. There was a classic one where United did that to Liverpool a few years back, with John O'Shea getting the winner. They're the games which can win you titles.

City have a big cheque book, but people said the same about Chelsea, too. Every team is beatable, I believe that. It's been shown many times already this season. At least in this league anyway.

Their squad may change a little bit here and there, but they won't be able to buy every available striker and midfield because they'll run out of room. This forward line is the one we'll see for some time, I imagine. I can't see the midfield altering much, particularly the centre with Yaya Toure and Silva playing there. There's only so much room for players and many won't like to come and just sit on the bench.

As for Van Persie's miss, that was insane, would've put my house on him burying that.

indeed, but rosicky could've taken a shot, but van persie's movement after receiving the ball made an even better scoring opportunity, 9.9/10 the back of the net would be nestling.

Oxlade-Chamberlain (sp?) was by far the best Arsenal player today. He looked very comfortable on the ball and was very creative with it. I can see the sense in him going off at some point in the game, as he is young and this is a tiring game at this level, but it was wrong to take him off at that moment. He just helped Arsenal get back into the game, and was their brightest spark, so taking him off just killed all the momentum in Arsenal's attack. That, and the injury to Walcott which allowed United time for a breather.

Chambo & Koscielny (AGAIN) were stand-out performers. with chamberlain that was his 1st premier league start, and he hasn't played 90 minutes in a long time meaning the likelihood of suffering from an injury increases.

but when you think about it, bringing arshavin is an even bigger risk. his defensive work is none existent, whereas chamberlain & walcott always sprint back, help their FB, and sprint back forward. as soon as I heard the boos I knew he was off and andrei was coming on. IMO I would have kept chambo on the pitch, but Wenger wanted to bring on arshavin to try and win the game, otherwise he could've brought on miquel onto the left as he's naturally a defender and he is quick, to help defend.

let's move on.

EDIT: even after watching the 2nd half of the man city spurs game, I missed a bit of it. I didn't know why people kept going on about balotelli. I only just saw his stamp :o that was on purpose, if he was trying to get away from parker his legs would've continued to follow the motion of his body (falling away from parker) but he got his right foot and stamped him ON THE HEAD! give this guy a 5 match ban. that is too damn crazy!

Edited by -Dem0-

I know, it's ridiculous. The fact that Balotelli FELL OVER after the stamp is clearly proof that it was on purpose. If he had wanted to stay on his feet, his right foot would have gone in front of him as if he was taking a step, and he would have stayed on his feet. Instead, he brought his right foot down BEHIND his left, and as he was off balance he fell over. It's so obviously a stamp that he MUST be banned. Redknapp will surely make an official complaint?

I live on Clarendon Street (whilst at Uni) as well. On the corner. Went to The Duke for the game.

Isn't it a small world? Not the corner of Clarendon Street and Leicester Street?

[Creepiness]If so, i've been in your house....[/Creepiness]

I live on Clarendon Street, in the non-scummy end.

Looking at that gif, it's hard for anyone to say that it wasn't intentional. Pity, because I like Balotelli, it's nice to have someone exciting to watch regardless of what team you support. Unfortunately, stamping on someones head isn't the good sort of excitement.

I live on Clarendon Street (whilst at Uni) as well. On the corner. Went to The Duke for the game.

Shiiiiiiiiiit. I didn't know other people went to Warwick. I used to live on Oxford Street (opposite The Clarendon pub) during my second year and I lived just off Radford Road during my third year. Small world indeed.

I'm quite gutted for Spurs that they lost that game. Defoe really should have scored near the end and it was a stupid penalty near the end. Very uncharacteristic from Ledley King, he should really know better.

whereas chamberlain & walcott always sprint back, help their FB, and sprint back forward.

No, no they don't. Case in point Man Utd's first.

Redknapp will surely make an official complaint?

'Arry's got his hands tied at the minute your honour.

Edited by Ramar

actually walcott does, quite a lot infact that's why hes exhausted around the 70/80 minute mark in most games. valencias goal came from djourou doing nothing about giggs cross. its the RB job to stop the opposing LW/LM, djourou's a CB but he was smabolic.

actually walcott does, quite a lot infact that's why hes exhausted around the 70/80 minute mark in most games. valencias goal came from djourou doing nothing about giggs cross. its the RB job to stop the opposing LW/LM, djourou's a CB but he was smabolic.

Walcott very rarely covers his full back. Thankfully Sagna is good enough you wouldn't notice, he has exposed Jenkinson, Djourou and Yennaris this season.

And if he wants £85k a week he can fuck off. He got shown up by an 18 year old yesterday making his first league start, he should be ashamed.

then what about arshavin, honestly theres a lot changes that needs to be made in this squad. on another note I hear ryo's making good progress, I've watched a few of his games during his spell with feyenoord he really looks like he can do well, I can't wait to see him make his first premier league start. but I do want to see both chamberlain & Miyaichi on the wings someday.

then what about arshavin, honestly theres a lot changes that needs to be made in this squad. on another note I hear ryo's making good progress, I've watched a few of his games during his spell with feyenoord he really looks like he can do well, I can't wait to see him make his first premier league start. but I do want to see both chamberlain & Miyaichi on the wings someday.

What about Arshavin? He couldn't give a toss any more, he's pretty much out the door in the summer.

Ryo has barely featured in the reserves this year, spent the best part of Autumn injured. He's no where near ready for the first team. Decent raw talent, but lacks any tactical awareness and far too light weight.

Isn't it a small world? Not the corner of Clarendon Street and Leicester Street?

[Creepiness]If so, i've been in your house....[/Creepiness]

Erm...yer actually. The one right on the corner, haha.

Shiiiiiiiiiit. I didn't know other people went to Warwick. I used to live on Oxford Street (opposite The Clarendon pub) during my second year and I lived just off Radford Road during my third year. Small world indeed.

I'm quite gutted for Spurs that they lost that game. Defoe really should have scored near the end and it was a stupid penalty near the end. Very uncharacteristic from Ledley King, he should really know better.

King's allowed one mistake ;). There's some amazing stat that I can't remember, but it relates the the last time we lost with King in our team. He is imperious at times.

I'm guessing you've graduated?

There's far too many players in the side playing on past potential and former glories. Rosicky hasn't scored in 2 sodding years, Djourou is being played out of position but he looks genuinely scared every time the ball comes near him. Chamakh is useless, every chance he is given, he does nothing. Arshavin has to go now, I don't give a fuck who he captains, he's a liability on the pitch. Walcott is living off past potential and needs to start being a little more consistent. I do rate Theo but for a guy who has so much talent, he spends far too much time doing nothing with it.

It's a sobering thought to think of some of the legends we've had patrolling the centre of the park and down the wing and compare them to the current crop. All the more infuriating when you know it's the same manager who has provided both. I've always believed in Wenger but i'm getting more fucked off with his attitude in the transfer window and his constant backing to players who don't deserve it.

No one is asking him to do a Man City but look at all the players he's got before for a reasonable price, Nasri and Hleb spring to mind. It's slightly worrying when a team like Newcastle are out spending £8 million on a player and they're competing with us for a top 4 position.

Meh, it's probably just Wenger's sheer stuborness that's annoying me more. Admit you got it wrong and sort it out, before it's too late.

Edited by Jon

They both should receive bans. Lescott's is definitely the more clear cut of the two, since it's so obvious what he's doing.

As for the Theo Walcott debate: I can't believe he's only 22 still. Feels like he's been around forever. There's still plenty of time for him, but he seems to have stopped developing, imo. I don't think many teams are terrified when he has the ball, whereas others are more cautious when Nani or Valencia have it. They're both more consistent.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!