Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

Van Persie to the rescue, an equally wonderful free kick.

We seemed better today, passed the ball well in the middle of the park, still need to work on the final ball, many wasted chances because of a poor last ball, I think when Vermaelen returns to partner Mertersacker we'll have a little more solidity down the middle, but Koscielny put in a good shift, certainly better than Djourou and Squillaci.

The final ball wasn't the best today but everything else was pretty good. The scoreline flattered Sunderland, not much could be done about Larsson's free kick and apart from Cattermole's header; they didn't threaten at all. I'll take the victory and hopefully with a slightly easier fixture list ahead, we can build up some confidence.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That disappointment at not beating United is what Dalglish calls progress. I'm not so sure because I watched the match and Liverpool didn't seem to want the win. Yes, we haven't won the title in forever (since the NES days for crying out loud) but when United come to Anfield there is always a great atmosphere and we always go after them, no matter what our league position or form is. Yesterday we were very stand offish and the match was very flat. :hmm:

Still, as long as things pan out well by the end of the season I won't complain.

Really? I thought the players looked up for it, they looked really keen to impress. The atmosphere was brilliant, it's the best i've heard Anfield in a while. Loved hearing Steve Gerrard Gerrard again. :)

First real test of the season for Newcastle today - Spurs at home.

Should be an interesting game and to be honest, I'd be pretty happy with a draw and ecstatic with a win. It would be great if we could keep this unbeaten run going. Hopefully the likes of S Taylor will be on their game and won't be conceding any should be penalties. I really wanna see Cabaye score as well - he came ridiculously close to a few against Villa recently and was only kept at bay by the superb keeping of Given.

Come on!

GODDAMIT! =|

If you have done that Ramar then you've won something, 29 seconds, absoultely woeful defending from Sunderland. Larsson has a godly right foot though, brilliant equalizer, put the blame on Arteta at a blatant handball, he's not Fabregas for crying out loud.

Oh I did also had a cheeky £1 on 2-1. A nice return of £11.50 for both. :D

We dominated Sunderland today, apart from their free kick they had one decent chance to score. But we didn't create clear cut chances ourselves. Good 3 points, moving up but still work to be done.

Well what a game that turned out to be! First half was fairly dull, the only real event being the silly penalty that Taylor conceded.

The second half was thankfully much more entertaining. By the end of the game I think either team could have won it, Spurs having a load of on the break chances that they perhaps should have put away and Newcastle with a whole bunch of attempts right near the end. An annoyingly well executed goal from Defoe would have been the winner, were it not for the fact that Shola Ameobi (?!) retorted with his own stellar effort.

Great game in all, happy with the draw and the unbeaten run continues. :D

Sounds pretty similar to that idea Stan Collymore (I think it was) had.

http://forum.football.co.uk/post-905025.html

First link I found that related to it.

Relegation and promotion are important. It helps to keep the standard of the individual clubs in question and the league itself high. Look at Newcastle, for example. Relegation has allowed the club to rebuild itself and now there's a much better team spirit and structure to the side. Relegation allows teams to do that, but promotion also rewards teams with a shot in the top flight. Getting rid of that is stupid and would ruin football in this country.

Also, The Hillsborough files are to be released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-15339818

Hopefully it's the start of a path which leads Liverpool fans to gain some closure over this. Shouldn't be forgotten, of course.

With the global economy the way it is, and with Occupy Wall Street beginning to spread to other countries, I'm hoping the whole "separate corporation from state" mentality shines through. When the only thing wrong with the PL is that it's not making enough money, despite being the most lucrative league in the world, then someone needs to stop counting the beans.

Foreign owners of Premier League clubs want to scrap relegation and promotion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15336398.stm

What I have to say to them is this:

Go back to your own country! Leave our league alone.

Phil Gartside, Bolton chairman has been peddling the idea for years. And unfortunately that daft pillock is English. It will never happen, fans wouldn't let it.

An idea like that would surely kill league footaball. What would be the point for Championship clubs then if they were blocked from promotion to the Premiership? They'd effectively have no hope of further improvement, little to no hope of attracting newer/better players and would only have the cup competions as a means to get to European competition. (I know technically they only have those two routes now while in championship but the hope of promotion is also the hope of improvement and desire to then finish in a european place the following season.

Also why shouldn't the lower placed teams face relegation? They proved to be the weaker teams of the season it only fair they drop down a league to allow the promoted teams a chance to prove themselves

Lets be fair if there was to be no relegation or promotion to the Premier League, I'd kick some of the shite clubs (ie. Wigan) and replace them with bigger clubs such as Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. Then see if they'd vote it. Ridiculous idea, which isn't going anywhere, like 'Game 39'.

I so wanted Villareal to come away with a point, if just to spite the City fans throwing projectiles at the Villareal players as they tried to take a corner. Truly disgraceful.

That was shameful, and as far as I could see there was no reason for it. Hopefully UEFA will throw the book at them. Perhaps the club will ask the fans to turn their backs to the game for the whole match and not just when they score.

It's awful how fans get away with behavior like that. 2 Bayern Munich fans were stabbed in Naples, last season some of our fans were stabbed. Everton fans throwing coins at Suárez and Bellamy, and now this. I'm missing alot out, it happens at lower profile games.

They should take action and put out a warning to the thug fans.

photoheh.jpg

Who want's to touch me?

No one... can't blame you as it's only another runner's up medal :(

would love to have a winners one heh.

didn't get off to the best starts in our new season last night, lost 7-4. Another little display of handbags but you've got to love it really.

To be fair the ref we had was about... 18 if that, and not a particularly big 18 year old. he kept getting bullied into decisions, by us as-well as the opponents. Poor performance by the ref, almost as bad as our team last night.

Lets be fair if there was to be no relegation or promotion to the Premier League, I'd kick some of the shite clubs (ie. Wigan) and replace them with bigger clubs such as Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. Then see if they'd vote it. Ridiculous idea, which isn't going anywhere, like 'Game 39'.

I don't like the notion of 'bigger clubs'. Wigan have been in the Premier League for a good few years now, when was the last time Forest or Wednesday were? Surely that would mean that Wigan are 'bigger' than either of them?

As the old saying goes... If it ent broke, don't fix it!

Not particularly relevant but that is one of the worst expressions around as it means nothing would ever change ever. Candles weren't broken, but we 'fixed' them and made lightbulbs.

Things can always be changed for the better, obviously in the case of scrapping relegation it's ridiculous but there are definitely ways in which the Premier League and football in general, can be made better.

Not that I disagree with you charlie, but candles were 'broken' -- they had faults. Light didn't cast evenly, candles did not last long, an open window risks the flame being blown out, an open flame risks a grander fire, and so on, and so on :P

The owners may see the prem not as 'broken' but as something which can be made better in their eyes -- a bigger money spinner. As fans, who aren't in it for the money and don't actually get any of the money, we of course do not agree that this is how football can be improved.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!