NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

To be honest I completely agree with what everyone says about Spurs lacking depth. We've probably got about enough defenders but with Parker Sandro and Lennon out, if we lose anyone else in midfield we're pretty screwed... I was worried enough about losing Parker - he's been an amazing buy for us, seemed to give a consistency which we haven't had in ages. Krancjar didn't look great tonight. I'm thinking we'll be in the marker in the next few weeks considering that, and that Spurs have been mentioned in pretty much every tranfer article I've read lately.

Still, I think that once we're out of the rush of Christmas matches it'll be less of a worry, considering we won't have europe to worry about. Plus we'll probably get knocked out of the FA cup in a similarly ridiculous manner to last year. Anyway, I actually think we've got a good shout of second but I still think City will blitz the title. Their depth is just ridiculous.

In the long term, how to do the other Spurs fans on here feel about losing Hazza to the England job? I'm gonna be a bit gutted really... still worried about it, and then if we don't get top 4 we might lose luka and bale - and of course Adebayor's out... Could be our peak season!

Related to being a pessimistic Spurs fan, I highly recomend this to any spurs fans on here / just to anyone.

9781849016537.jpg

Written by the guy who writes digested westminster / digested read for the guardian. Reading now, most amusing.

Had to edit this post like 3 times, post pub. The match tonight as pretty dull, painful to watch in the closing minutes...

Edited by dan-likes-trees

Great post. Good assessment.

I've been meaning to pick that up for quite a while now. I've heard good things.

Europa League is a joke. We're supposed to send our players half way across the world midweek and sacrifice our chances of Champions League football - A knock-on effect that would certainly see us losing Modric and Bale - to win a trophy that requires a stupid number of games to win. Do me a favour chump.

Also interested to hear MadDog's take on the Suarez ban now you've had a chance to read the report ;). First game back could be Man United away!

Also, can I just reiterate the point that Spurs fans do not think we're going to win the league, just that we are title contenders at the moment (which is obvious). Some of you speak as if we think we're adamant going to top the table.

Ireland and Greece are half way across the world chump?

Bullshit. You can dress it up anyway you like, there's no justification for the failure in that competition. A competition that you've not outgrown.

Hi

I love Spain :love:

Surely you are more suited to Nottingham Forest?

Seriously? Fuck me, Spurs get into the Champions League one season, then they're suddenly full of Supermen. Let's put it into perspective, nobody has given a shit that Huddlestone hasn't been playing, yet there are dozens of Man Utd fans who are constantly depressed that Cleverley and Fletcher are not there. Huddlestone wouldn't even get into the team above Parker or Modric anyway.

Players get injured and take knocks in every game for every team. I'll be surprised if any of those face a long lay-off. Are you honestly comparing any of those injuries to what Vidic has, or what Fletcher has, etc?

As for defensive injuries, we played Carrick at centre-back and Valencia at right back. Carrick and Jones. Jones, our supposedly fifth choice centre-back, after Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans and Smalling were unavailable. Even then, Jones has been playing most of the season in midfield and Smalling at right-back. And, even then, I wouldn't claim that this is the worst defensive crisis in the league. For a Spurs fan to claim that you have had a defensive problem is a bit of a joke, to be honest.

I don't know how to break posts up, so sorry about the hug lump.

- since when did anyone say anything about supermen, don't be so extreme. You say we haven't had any injuries, and then when I list them you say they're not good players or first teamers. Being better than cleverly or anderson doesn't require anyone to be supermen. There are MANY players in the premiership who are "currently"better than those. I like Fletcher, a lot, but I still wouldn't swap him for any of our main four CM's.

- the reason spiurs haven't been complaining about Huddlestone being injured is BECAUSE we have good depth. Last season it would have been awful, but now we have Parker and Sandro came though brilliantly last season. So he wasn't missed. Now with Parker and Sandro injured, he'll be missed. Livermore is okay though, but wouldn't trust him for too many games.

- Sandro has a torn calf and will our for a long time. Gallas "might" have one, they're scanning today. Both of these players have already missed most of the season and it looks like they might miss the rest. But these don't count in your eyes... for some reason... Maybe because they're not in the paper as much as Vidic and Wilshere, I don't know.

- Why are you being ignorant to our defensive injuries? We've played Livermore at CB, he's our 5th choice CM never mind where he places on our CB list. I'm not complaining other teams haven't had bad injuries in defence; I'm just defending your ridiculous suggestion that Spurs haven't been hit with injuries and the claim our defence has been hit hard as a "joke". Danny rose our second LB has been injured pretty much all season, Corluka our 2nd RB (and the last few seasons first RB) has been out injured most of the season (and still is). If Ekotto and Walker couldn't play we'd be screwed; in fact we've played an 18 year old right winger (fredericks) at RB and a 19 year old left winger (Townsend) at LB. Dawson has been able to play in two games all season and out through injury, he's been our mina defender for YEARS. Gallas has missed the whole season bar the last 3 games and looks to be out injured again. King is king. Do these not count? You still haven't explained why these don't count.

- And all this doesn't take into account that Pienaar and Kranjcar have also missed most of the seasons o far through injury. Van Der Vaart has pulled his hamstring twice this season.

I'm not complaining because we haven't missed them (because we have good depth); but your claims are just plain wrong!

I will say, the ONLY player we would miss (unless we were badly decimated) is Adebayor, as he is the only one we don;t have a direct replacement for and he's integral to the way we play! This is what we desperate need to concentrate on in January, and after that a speedy winger (we have cover for Bale and Lennon but if they're both out we have no pace!)

In the long term, how to do the other Spurs fans on here feel about losing Hazza to the England job? I'm gonna be a bit gutted really... still worried about it, and then if we don't get top 4 we might lose luka and bale - and of course Adebayor's out... Could be our peak season!

It's pretty bad to be honest. I think top 4 is pretty much guaranteed now though, Chelsea will do what they have always done in the very short history and spunk money at the problem, but Liverpool aren't in with a shout, and I still feel Arsenal are too weak, especially if Persie gets injured. But even still, even if we did, I think Modric and Bale could still leave; they'd only leave for insane amounts of money (we'd get close to 90-100m for both I reckon) which would be a nice kitty for our a new manager.

The big worry is that things are going so well we don't want change; but Champions League football will certainly attract bigger and better managers and players to make sure we continue... I hope the FA don't want him because he's a corrupt motherfucker; though who else is there? If Woy gets it England will be as dull as we were when the awful Keegan was manager! (though infinitely more successful).

You never know, maybe Bale and Modric will sense something special (depends on who the manager is) and stay, and maybe Adebayor will want to stay too. We can't afford his wages, but NO ONE will pay them again! Very scary, but let's just have a great season first!

Ireland and Greece are half way across the world chump?

Bullshit. You can dress it up anyway you like, there's no justification for the failure in that competition. A competition that you've not outgrown.

I guess I'll walk you through this one dear.

I think you know I'm talking about the Rubin Kazan game, a game we ultimately lost because we sent out a side comprised of reserve and second team players.

Bollocks is there no justification. In the end it was down to the player performances, so in that sense we didn't always perform.

However, Redknapp's decision to not send our first team to all these Thursday night Europa games is wholly understandable. Top 4 for us this season has never been more important - as a club we'd rather achieve top 4 status than go deep into a competition that is already a joke. We need Champions League to ensure we can fight to keep our best players, and not regress back a few years.

Obviously these are not mutually exclusive events, but the decision to play that many weeks with two games can have a huge impact on injuries and fitness levels before the weekend games, and ultimately the tally of points accrued at the end of the year.

Like I said before the Europa league is a shit competition anyway. Everyone thinks it. You have to play a ridiculous number of games to even have a chance of winning it.

Does the same logic apply to Arsenal, who invariably play their youngsters in The Carling Cup. Of course not, yet how is the scenario any different really? It's a cup competition and just because it's Europe doesn't make it any more special in my eyes - I'd rather win the FA Cup than the Europa League.

The ultimate question is whether you would be happy if Wenger played your first team throughout the Europa League next season, if you finish outside the top four. You'll probably understand next season ;)

It's isn't whether or not the Europa League is Shit, it depends on the clubs priorities. for arguments sake, If Arsenal were to finish outside the Top 4, then im guessing wenger & AFC's top priority would be to finish in the Top 4 in the league the next season, as this means they will be able to take part in the UCL, the most prestigious club competition in world football, but it also draws in extra finance for the club; the higher the league position, the higher reward for the club, UEFA reward clubs for qualification, progressing to the group & winning the Group, teams are also paid specific amounts for wins & draws. the further a team progresses throughout the competition the prize money also increases.

finishing in the top 4, playing in the UCL also helps attract players to the club, it can make negotiations easier. most players want to play in the biggest & best clubs in the world, they want to play in the best leagues and cup competitions aswell, therefore a club thats in the UCL vs one that isnt will make for a greater incentive to sign for them

leaving financial rewards aside, a team may decide to rest their '1st Team' players in certain cup competitions so that they have the best chance possible of finishing in the top 4, not only that but most other clubs use it as opportunity to rotate their squad and give players who haven't played enough in the season a chance to play and show their manager what they can do. its all about priority.

Edited by -Dem0-

Also RIP to the 81 year-old man that collapsed at the start of the game yesterday. Great place to go though...

The sport is in a shit state when clubs & fans think more about the money, than the prestige of winning.

Now don't jump the gun, I'm not disagreeing with you spirited_away. I use to laugh at Wenger when he said "finish top 4 is more important than the FA Cup". When you consider the financial benefits of the Champions League, how it can help improve your club. It's got to be considered a priority to compete at the very top (without a major investor).

It terms of sport and competition, in an ideal world it wouldn't be about how much money you win or what people think about the competition. Winning is winning and it's a great habit to get into.

in an ideal world it wouldn't be about how much money you win or what people think about the competition. Winning is winning and it's a great habit to get into.

That's why no matter how much bad press the Carling Cup gets, it still frustrates me that Manchester United don't really take it all too seriously.

And I'm hoping that they take the Europa League serious....

Carling Cup / Europa League may not be the most prestigious trophies to compete for, but they are still trophies at the end of the day, still goes into the records and still results in silverware.

The sport is in a shit state when clubs & fans think more about the money, than the prestige of winning.

Now don't jump the gun, I'm not disagreeing with you spirited_away. I use to laugh at Wenger when he said "finish top 4 is more important than the FA Cup". When you consider the financial benefits of the Champions League, how it can help improve your club. It's got to be considered a priority to compete at the very top (without a major investor).

It terms of sport and competition, in an ideal world it wouldn't be about how much money you win or what people think about the competition. Winning is winning and it's a great habit to get into.

I was thinking more along the lines of the stature of the players at the club (being affected by finishing outside the top four), but I get what you're saying.

I'm hoping we go all out for the FA Cup.

Another terrible performance.

Right now, I'd have Cabaye and Tiote off Newcastle, in a heartbeat. No leaders out there tonight. :hmm:

Another terrible performance.

Right now, I'd have Cabaye and Tiote off Newcastle, in a heartbeat. No leaders out there tonight. :hmm:

You're in dire need of a central midfielder (stating-the-obvious man).

Loved the Jones goal. :P

You're in dire need of a central midfielder (stating-the-obvious man).

Loved the Jones goal. :P

Oh aye, we need one alright. Needed one for a good few seasons, but we won't get anyone in January.

I saw who the goalscorer was at Goodison Park tonight and I was amazed - really thought it was a typo.

I mean, Ngog is shit.

That was just a joy to watch. Everything about the team's performance. Newcastle were pretty great as well ;)

Seriously though, I couldn't really fault the teams performance. Very solid defence, kept possession well enough, moved the ball around well, frustrated Man U. Apparently this is their first away loss of the season as well, makes it all the more satisfying. Worst performance of the season at Liverpool, best performance tonight. Good times :)

On another note, I feel quite sorry for Lindegaard. All 3 of those goals he could not do anything about. That free kick was simply stunning.

Man City, Spurs, you're welcome ;)

Agree completely, winning anything should be more important than finishing 4th. The problem is e Europa format is an absolute joke, and until uefa give the competition the respect and prestige it deserves, the clubs won't. I think the carling cup is better, it is what it is, I like it a lot.

Standby, dazzybee and his Spurs title contenders post incoming!

Haha. I said I was starting to believe before tonight :) Do I think we'll win the league? No. But I'm really really enjoying being in touching distance this late in the game for the first time in a long time.

Ps you heard the rumours about spurs going after Walcott ? Oh dear god I hope not. I said we need a speedy winger, but we need one with an effing brain!

I saw who the goalscorer was at Goodison Park tonight and I was amazed - really thought it was a typo.

I mean, Ngog is shit.

You made me LOL. Well done good sir.

That match wrapped up the holiday games in spectacular fashion. Man United conceded 6 in their last 2, and the GD between themselves & city has widened.

on to uniteds midfield problems; how close were united to actually signing Nasri? I remember it being very close that SSN were talking about nothing else for that entire day. I think Nasri would have better staying at Arsenal or at the very least going to united, City already have a fantastic midfield & strike force and can do without him.

whereas had he gone to united, he would've started more games and become their main playmaker in the middle of the park, but alas he could only see the £££,£££'s ::shrug:

Ps you heard the rumours about spurs going after Walcott ? Oh dear god I hope not. I said we need a speedy winger, but we need one with an effing brain!

I've not heard it, but I guess it's due to ongoing transfer negotiations (and how crap we've been at them recently). He started the season well, but he's dropped off the last few games, needs to contribute more than the odd assist for van Persie.

I mean, Ngog is shit.

Would have LOL'ed at this, but someone already made this joke on the BBC live text...

EDIT: Was it youuuuuuuuuuu?!

Must admit I feel for those United fans travelling back down to Surrey and Devon, fucking miserable journey home after such a poor result.

Guess you've heard that one too tonight. I'm aware Surrey and Devon are miles apart.