Lars Von Trier Banned from Cannes

ReZourceman

Lars von Trier: "I'm a Nazi. I think Hitler was a great man."

Kirsten Dunst: "Please stop I am so embarrassed I wish I were dead."

Lars von Trier: "Don't worry - there's a point to all of this."

*Much later*

Lars von Trier: "So, yeah, I'm a Nazi."

:indeed:

Eh. I love (the work of) Lars Von Trier so I'm bound to defend him, but this is so over the top.

Worse when I initially read reports that Melancholia had been removed from the competition (it hasn't thankfully)..nearly chocked. Apparently it's Argentinian distributor has dropped out. Oo-er! I hate the media sometimes, like...leave his work of art out of the equation plz. Seems to be ok so far but yeah.

He's just a very awkward person in conversation sometimes and a provocateur - it was clearly half an in-joke gone horribly wrong. When he talks about Susanne Bier or whatever. There's a precedent.

Sure it's "..." the whole thing, and if I was Kirsten Dunst, I'd want to die, but people need to get over things with no meaning.

(Though this whole affair has taught me that anti-semitic remarks in France are treated very seriously, with potential jail sentences and stuff)

For fuck's sake, do they even know the guy? Of course he's joking, because he knows how provocative it is. He's even issued an apology and stated that he's neither a Nazi nor an anti-Semite. Yes, it was a terrible joke in terrible taste, and I understand if some people are offended, but to throw him out of Cannes? Grow some skin, people.

Note that I am not defending him because he's Danish, but because I hate oversensitive people who can't take a joke. But I guess dark humor is a very Danish thing.

ReZ, are you Danish?

I hate this whole thing people love to hide behind of "Oh, I was only joking! Can't you tell? Silly you!" as if it's up to everyone else to come round to their frankly tragic idea of humour. If you're in a room full of people and and no one is laughing that's the big clue that you need to stop, and probably should have done several minutes ago.

I know.. Never forget that history is written by the winners.. Who knows what he was really like.

He was probably the sort of person who had no problem murdering many millions of people in bombing raids and gas chambers because of their race, sexuality or beliefs along with anyone of any organisation who dared speak out against him.

On the other hand he was a vegetarian. So you know, swings and roundabouts.

Bit of tangent, but I do love how it's completely taboo to say anything good about Hitler.

I totally agree. Most of my friends at University study public relations and a few of them after talking about famous PR figures one mentioned Hitler as a very good PR man. For some reason that didn't go down too well, despite the fact it's true.

What Hitler did was pretty fucking insane, but his influence on the German people was pretty smart. And the fact his nutjob occultism is pretty hilarious to read (searching this up on google, a lot of the material about that stuff has vanished, weird).