N-Europe

Band of Brothers/The Pacific

Goafer

Did anyone watch them when they were on? I've just finished The Pacific on bluray and it was incredible.

Band of Brothers is probably my favourite of the two, since The Pacific seemed a bit all over the place. One minute it was in the action, the next it was focusing on one guy selling war bonds back in the US. The last couple of episodes were amazing though. I was a bit unmanly during a few scenes. I remember having a hard time distinguishing between people in Band of Brothers, but in The Pacific it felt like I really got to know them.

In short, Band of Brothers was more intense, but The Pacific seemed to focus more on the people. I rate them both the same. I reckon if I rewatched Band of Brothers, I'd probably prefer it though. It's been a while since I watched it, so I'm a bit hazy on the whole thing.

And if you have a Bluray player, get it on that. I'd say The Pacific is the best looking Bluray I've seen so far.

I was a bit unmanly during a few scenes. I remember having a hard time distinguishing between people in Band of Brothers, but in The Pacific it felt like I really got to know them.

I watched Band of Brothers several years ago, and I seriously couldn't tell any of the main characters apart. Like, someone would die and then they'd suddenly be a live again but maybe that was someone else but then I thought he was that guy and aaaaah- I wish they would have gone the anime route and dress all of the main characters differently. :blank:

I've always felt bad for not liking Band of Brothers since it's so critically acclaimed, so I might give it a second chance at some point in the future. Though the war setting and previous experiences with the series kind of put me off, so it'd have to be if I had someone else to watch it with.

For obvious reasons, I never watched The Pacific.

You'll probably like The Pacific more. I found it much easier to tell the main guys apart.

There are some shocking bits in it too. Stuff I never thought I'd see in a mainstream program/film.

The bit where the Japanese woman comes out with her baby and tries to hand over the baby to the soldiers. She's strapped with explosives, presumably by the Japanese soldiers. Never thought I'd see a baby explode. Ever.

I also really liked Sledge and Snafu's journey home on the train. Something just seemed so real about it, especially after watching them for the duration of the series. It's just the looks and things they give each other/their general actions. Utterly brilliant. Both series are full of perfect scenes like this.

I remember having a hard time distinguishing between people in Band of Brothers, but in The Pacific it felt like I really got to know them.

In short, Band of Brothers was more intense, but The Pacific seemed to focus more on the people.

Quite the opposite for me, I struggled to recognise characters until the last 5 or so in The Pacific. Where as Band of Brothers had a central character in Dick Winters. I also found with Band of Brothers you felt more for the characters with having the interviews at the beginning of every episode, you could feel the bond between them. Where as The Pacific didn't have that attachment at all.

Yeah it did start off with characters being a bit vague, but towards the end I really got to know the characters.

Winters is the only character I could name from Band of Brothers, but I can name Sledge, Snafu, Leckie and Basilone from The Pacific and remember their stories. I can't remember thinking the same after watching Band of Brothers, although I can remember thinking BoB was better whilst watching The Pacific.

I'll rewatch BoB at some point. Maybe it was more memorable than I'm giving it credit for.

Either way, everyone should watch both.

Yeah it did start off with characters being a bit vague, but towards the end I really got to know the characters.

Winters is the only character I could name from Band of Brothers, but I can name Sledge, Snafu, Leckie and Basilone from The Pacific and remember their stories. I can't remember thinking the same after watching Band of Brothers, although I can remember thinking BoB was better whilst watching The Pacific.

I'll rewatch BoB at some point. Maybe it was more memorable than I'm giving it credit for.

Either way, everyone should watch both.

I was going to fill this with a list of characters that I'm a bit shocked you can't remember. But I'll just sit here shocked that you don't remember Bull, Garnier and Spears.

To be fair, it's probably because I haven't seen it for a while. I do remember watching most of it and wondering who the hell was who though. I also remember it being incredible so I think a rewatch is on the cards now that I've finished The Pacific.

Although I can't even remember any of the characters stories from Band of Brothers. I tend to remember stories better than names.

Although I can't even remember any of the characters stories from Band of Brothers. I tend to remember stories better than names.

I think thats because they never really show their back stories, so you only really learn where they come from when they talk about it.

I was going to fill this with a list of characters that I'm a bit shocked you can't remember. But I'll just sit here shocked that you don't remember Bull, Garnier and Spears.

Word!!

I've not watched the Pacific yet, but due to just how awesome Band of Brothers was, I feel that I wont like it as much as BoB. Just more so biased towards BoB.

In BoB they are in the Jewish Concentration Camps

:( - Lump in my throat episode.

Band of Brothers is simply an unrivalled show. The acting, production, music, special effects, it's all top notch. I prefered BoB because it seemed more focused on the characters. Having the one major character throughout (Dick Winters) made easier to keep tabs on who everyone was.

I watched a few episode of Band of Brothers when it was on TV and loved it, it's fantastic!!

I've never seen it all, and all the way through, and so keep meaning to get it on DVD at some point, though now I may wait and get it on Blu-Ray.

I didn't get a chance to watch The Pacific on TV, so again should probably get it at some point.

10 per series. They're long episodes too. I think BoB's episodes might be longer, but I could be wrong.

They are, due to being funded and airing on the BBC which obviously has no breaks. As opposed to The Pacific which aired on Sky, with a bazillion breaks.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that on the radio. That guy was just awe inspiring, he really was.

BoB is definitely the better series for me. It feels better paced and more character driven than The Pacific. I think this is down to the source material as much as anything though- BoB was based on a single book (written by Winters I think) while The Pacific was based on two, written by Leckie and Sledge respectively. Hence the fairly substantial shift in focus half way through.

• 8 months later...

Just watched the first eight episodes of The Pacific. It's awful, but in a horrific to see what they endured way. Truly gripping stuff!

Think I'll definitely be giving Band of Brothers a watch after this. :D

Took me ages to realise who the actor who plays Sledge was. But I finally realised it was the kid who played Tim in Jurassic Park

Edited by Dog-amoto