Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Final Fantasy Official Thread

Stocka

Who says that at that time they had this massive idea for FF3 anyway?

Actually, that reminded me. There was an article long ago around the time FF4 was out in Japan in which the devs said one of the probs they encoutered was the limited expression of their world in the existing technology. I recall that it wasn't specifically in reference to FF3, but their development philosophy in general.

At the time there were 2 big mainstream console RPGs, Dragon Quest series and Final Fantasy series, with contrasting philosophy. Where DQ was successful in providing players the playing ground to forge "their own journey" and enjoy the "proactive experience", FF's philosophy was more on "showing the story" and thus players enjoying the "passive experience". In theory it's like Books (proactive) vs Films (passive), respectively, in terms of the audience's involvement.

Because of this, where DQ didn't suffer much from lack of flash graphics, FF did. So when SNES and subsequently PS1 came out, the devs jumped on them as they provided a much more suitable tool to recreate their imagination - afterall their objective was to "show the theatrics". That's very much dependent on the power of multimedia.

Anyway, a bit useless but interesting story.

I played FF1 and 2 for GBA. Although it doesn't have a lot of story, some quests are interesting, it offers a big world, varied dungeons and so on and so forth.

But what really kept me going was that feeling that I have to save the world and several people and races on the way and leveling up is very addicting. And once you complete something you always get this feeling: now I can do this and that and only one more thing before I quit playing for today...

urm, ok what exactly is final fantasy about? ive never played any of the games and really have no idea what all the hype is about. any explanation would be much appreciated.

Basically they're role playing games, which if you have no experience with either are really long (40 hours + usually) titles with very deep in depth stories and characters, as well as huge worlds, but with less focus on gameplay compared to exploration. The Final Fantasy series in particular has a different story and cast for every game but a lot of them have been some of the very best stories ever with very very memorable characters and plots, fantastic music and great strategic turn based battle systems (though that ends with FFXI and XII which change the gameplay).

The hype though mainly comes from the fact FFVII was the first big 3D RPG to hit the west and really made an impact on people and cemented FF as the best known and one of the best overall rpg series, because of that people tend to see FF rpgs as those with the most potential and get really excited about any new ones in the hope they may be as good as FFVII/FFVI/FFX/etc(whatever their favourite title in the series is).

http://ds-x2.com/index.php?id=5099

Staff Details from recent Nintendo Dream scans:

Executive Producer/Director - Hiromichi Tanaka (Responsible for FF1-3's game design. Namely FF1's battle and menu systems, FF2's event, skill, battle and menu systems, FF3's battle, menu, job change, summon systems and the pop-up damage display. Worked on SaGa2's map data and the complete scenario and events. As a producer he worked on Seiken Densetsu 2's scenario, concept and the system design. Directed Seiken Densetsu 3. Produced Xenogears and Chrono Trigger and designed the battle systems. Produced Dew Prism and FFXI.)

Art Director - Ryosuke Aiba (Xenogears map design, Chrono Cross monster design and monster texture design. Designer chief and art director of FFXI, also monster designer and monster texture chief.)

Character Design - Akihiko Yoshida (Ogre Battle tarot illustration, Tactics Ogre character design and illustrator, FFT character design, Vagrant Story character designer and background map supervisor, FFTA illustrator (Judge), FFXII character design and background map supervisor.)

Composer - Nobuo Uematsu (Composer for FF1-11, King's Knight, Half-boiled Hero, Half-boiled Hero vs 3D, SaGa1-2, Gun Hazard, Chrono Trigger, FFTA.)

Interview with the producer Tomoya Asano and the executive producer/director Hiromichi Tanaka from Famitsu:

- FF3 for the WonderSwan Colour was canned due to terrible timing, the WSC died.

- The game will use both screens.

- The game is full 3D.

- When in fields and towns the top screen will be the map.

- No map display in dungeons.

- Bottom screen is the main display because they want to use touchpen gameplay.

- You can use the touchpen to select everything and navigate menus, etc.

- Battles commands will be selected using the touchpen as well.

- Because it's in full 3D, during event scenes the camera will be moved and used effectively.

- The main party is made up of 3 males and 1 female.

- While they're giving the characters names and charactistics, the actual story of FF3 will not be altered one bit.

- There will be additional events and episodes in the game to develop the characters and their backstories.

- You need Capacity Points to change jobs.

- Defeated enemies will give gil, exp and cp.

- This change was made to balance the job system.

- The actual foundation of the system has not changed.

- There will be a total of 23 different jobs.

- As this is a portable game, there will be a save anywhere function.

Composer - Nobuo Uematsu
Literally best news ever. This was my one worry about this game.. the music would suck being made a small concern for the developper as it's 'just a portable'

I'm buying this game now. Every little concern has just been cleared up- this is a serious RPG and they're making no compromises.

Fluid touch screen controls are my only concern now really.. it's a difficult task.

The red headed girl in massive orange hat is already my favorite, even though she has very hairy hands!
I'm not sure she's a woman... I mean... in DS X-2 site they stated the main party has 3 men and one woman... lol :sad:

New comparison pictures
I took them and made a new, with bigger/better DS images:

ff3compare0fp.jpg

New Pics

img02_ff3.jpg

img03_ff3.jpg

Also, regarding Final Fantasy V for GBA, Square-Enix has announced that we can expect to see a brand new job to take, and a completely new dugeon also. Perhaps shown off at E3.

Nice to see one of the Final Fantasy ports getting a little bit more care then just a straight port.

New Pics

img02_ff3.jpg

img03_ff3.jpg

Also, regarding Final Fantasy V for GBA, Square-Enix has announced that we can expect to see a brand new job to take, and a completely new dugeon also. Perhaps shown off at E3.

Nice to see one of the Final Fantasy ports getting a little bit more care then just a straight port.

mana_ds_logo.jpgimg02_mana_ds.jpg - same with Mana

slds_logo.jpgimg03_slds.jpg - and Rocket Slime.

Looks blubby good.