NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

I went for Lumines because it's fucking Lumines. I do kind of want Virtual Tennis, though. I may switch....arrrrgh. I want both. Currently on launch day I'll be getting,

Wipeout 2048

Escape Plan

Super Stardust Delta

Motorstorm RC

Lumines

If you get rid of Wipeout that only costs ?35. Score.

I think most people are referring to games in the Amazon offer.

You don't need to buy games in the Amazon offer most of them are shite anyway.

You can get PS vita and 8GB memory card for ?209.99 the only 2 games worth ?15 from that lot are Lumines and Rayman. I loved Everybody's Golf on the PS3 and am so so tempted to get a Vita for that title.

I have the cash but do I have the balls to do it? hmmmmm *strokes chin*

Just do it. All the cool kids are.

So damn tempting good deal on Play.com - seems to be a price war going on: PlayStation Vita Console - Wi-Fi (With Free 8GB Memory Card + Pre-Order Pack) ?212.99 :grin:

If you're going to buy something on the store then surely it's a must!

Anyone getting hustle kings?

Does it have UK pool?

Edit: Also, until I Googled it I assumed it was a poker game.

Is it only in black at the moment? I wouldn't mind waiting for a different coloured one, even if it's just white.

I've thought about getting one of these, but realised I have no need whatsoever for a portable game system.

If I ever took these kinds of things out with me, had time on a train, stayed in hotels frequently maybe, there would be a place for a 3DS or a Vita in my life. As it is, I mostly play my 3DS on my sofa or in bed. So why bother? I might as well play a full game on a games console. If I have a small situation where I suddenly find myself wanting some portable gaming, I probably won't have pre-empted it and brought one of these with me anyway, and my phone will suffice.

The draw of this device to me was just that it was shiny, new, and very cool. But tbh, it's the most ultimately unnecessary gaming item I could buy.

Yeah I think you've summed up the PS Vita, and any handheld really. The vast majority or the time people play these in their house.

Doesn't stop it being shiny though. :p

What makes the VITA worse is its trying to ape console experience. Why would we want to play an inferior version of Wipeout in bed when we can play the much better version on the tele?

The 3DS works so well because the experiences are slightly different.

Still getting one, but this always has been and will be my biggest fear about it.

Saying this, I do a lot of travelling so it's more useful for me (because a 3DS, iPhone and iPad just aren't enough gaming options...)

Yeah I always felt the PSP fell flat because it was a poor man's PS2. The DS was different to consoles with touch screen stylus play and the more 'mini game' pick up and play vibe to it.

Time will tell if the Vita goes the way of the PSP.

Edited by Sheikah

What makes the VITA worse is its trying to ape console experience. Why would we want to play an inferior version of Wipeout in bed when we can play the much better version on the tele?

The 3DS works so well because the experiences are slightly different.

Still getting one, but this always has been and will be my biggest fear about it.

Saying this, I do a lot of travelling so it's more useful for me (because a 3DS, iPhone and iPad just aren't enough gaming options...)

Its no different from the 3DS in this regard. Vita is much more powerful, much more nicely designed and has better control options this time round. There are console games as well as unique handheld releases. You could argue the same for Mario Kart which is the biggest game on 3DS right now.

The thing about handhelds though is that they are like your personal entertainment centre, especially nowadays as they have so many features. I don't play my 3DS much outside the house, but I do have a little play of pinball or something if I've got a few minutes. Also, maybe it's just me but I like to play them in bed whilst watching 24 hour news, just playing with the built-in/downloaded software, browsing photos etc.

That's not to say I'm not worried about the Vita. If the 3DS had totally flopped (which thankfully it hasn't), you at least knew Nintendo would support it for the next 5/6 years. To me, that means a lot. But what happens if Vita doesn't get 3rd-party support? Maybe I'm just unaware, but I haven't seen a lot of upcoming games from Capcom, Konami, Square Enix...

Personally, I'm getting a "Dreamcast" vibe, as it's a machine I want just for the hardware. But very lovely hardware it is, there's no doubt about that.

By the way, does anyone know if you can save photos from the web and view them offline? I know it has a "Photos" app, but the offline is important to me.

The thing about handhelds though is that they are like your personal entertainment centre, especially nowadays as they have so many features. I don't play my 3DS much outside the house, but I do have a little play of pinball or something if I've got a few minutes. Also, maybe it's just me but I like to play them in bed whilst watching 24 hour news, just playing with the built-in/downloaded software, browsing photos etc.

That's not to say I'm not worried about the Vita. If the 3DS had totally flopped (which thankfully it hasn't), you at least knew Nintendo would support it for the next 5/6 years. To me, that means a lot. But what happens if Vita doesn't get 3rd-party support? Maybe I'm just unaware, but I haven't seen a lot of upcoming games from Capcom, Konami, Square Enix...

Personally, I'm getting a "Dreamcast" vibe, as it's a machine I want just for the hardware. But very lovely hardware it is, there's no doubt about that.

By the way, does anyone know if you can save photos from the web and view them offline? I know it has a "Photos" app, but the offline is important to me.

There are quite a few games lined up for a while from those companies you mentioned. Not sure about Vita but on PS3 you can save photos from web pages.

Here is the new Vita ad:

So Sony STILL do these god awful shite adverts that show you NOTHING!!!! Awesome!

Its no different from the 3DS in this regard. Vita is much more powerful, much more nicely designed and has better control options this time round. There are console games as well as unique handheld releases. You could argue the same for Mario Kart which is the biggest game on 3DS right now.

More powerful? Yes. Better designed? We'll see about that. Better control options? Maybe. The rear touch panel will be pointless, it's debatable what's better out of a second touch screen or the main screen being a touchscreen and with the CPP that levels up the twin sticks situation.

You could argue that for Mario Kart; but racing games are perfecter for both. Mario 3D land is a perfect portable version of the galaxy games though. Same with Resident Evil.

I've got a sneaky feeling the digital games will be better 'handheld' games with the Vita.

In other news. Does NEAR work without 3G and wifi?! Ultimately does it work exactly like Streetpass?

So Sony STILL do these god awful shite adverts that show you NOTHING!!!! Awesome!

More powerful? Yes. Better designed? We'll see about that. Better control options? Maybe. The rear touch panel will be pointless, it's debatable what's better out of a second touch screen or the main screen being a touchscreen and with the CPP that levels up the twin sticks situation.

You could argue that for Mario Kart; but racing games are perfecter for both. Mario 3D land is a perfect portable version of the galaxy games though. Same with Resident Evil.

I've got a sneaky feeling the digital games will be better 'handheld' games with the Vita.

In other news. Does NEAR work without 3G and wifi?! Ultimately does it work exactly like Streetpass?

I think Near needs wifi to work at least.....as I think the GPS chip is missing from the Wifi model.

Oh... So that makes that. Orderline pointless then :( I love streetpass, I thought this was gong to be similar

Lumines and SS Delta OHM NOM NOM NOM.

I really hope FIFA is good. This feature alone has me feeling I need it,

In contrast, the use of the rear touchpad for shooting is inspired. The conceit is rather elegant: given their comparable dimensions, the touchpad represents the goal. To shoot, simply tap on the pad where you want to aim your shot. The longer you hold down, the harder the strike. It's simple, and once you get your head around using the touchpad within a game, from a side-on perspective, it's a really fun addition to FIFA, and it makes it a much more accessible game.
Edited by Daft

I was watching the Giant Bomb live Quick Look for the Vita and games last night. The rear touch stuff did look really good for Fifa. Its just a shame they didnt play football games ever so played it on beginner, they did score pretty much every shot they took with it so I would have liked to have seen it on a harder difficulty.

You don't play football games.

I did until PES became shit. I picked up FIFA 09 and enjoyed it for the most part but hated the shooting. The rear touchpad thang looks like a solution to my one major issue with the game.

I did until PES became shit. I picked up FIFA 09 and enjoyed it for the most part but hated the shooting. The rear touchpad thang looks like a solution to my one major issue with the game.

yah last fifa I properly played was FIFA 10. The rear touch pad sounds likes something that make the shooting more fun than the usual mechanics....

@Happenstance cheers for the heads up about Quicklook over at Giant Bomb.