Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

Dammit all, everything that could've done wrong did for Lewis and he's the only one who's looked even close to matching Vettel all season. Hopefully Button or Webber can dig deep and find something to beat Vettel. We've had lots of great racing this year, just not enough of it for first place.

Also thank goodness Perez is ok. Shame he won't be running tomorrow. Top young talent there.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best monaco GP ever?

Have to think Vettel got massively lucky with the red flag but oh well, Alonso and JB were stunning. Kobayashi too was brilliant.

Gutted about Schumacher. He was 3 seconds faster a lap than Rosberg after he overtook him and then had to retire :(

Great GP!! :D Yeah gotta be one of the best.

But I mean come on!... well done to a pretty lucky Vettel!

You could tell Lewis was pissed all race and it showed on track! Hopefully he'll get away with that last penalty, but he possibly deserves one.

Great drives from Alonso and more so Jenson, would have loved to have seen how that 3 way battle might have gone. Will' turned out to be right about a race between a faster car behind a slower one... except this race went one better in adding an even faster third car in Jenson, behind that!

EDIT:

haha, Eddie just said on the red button, that they'd sometimes have sponsor logo's on the underside of their cars because they spent quite a bit of time up in the air/crashing! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

I have to say, I was gutted to see what happened to Maldonado, he drove a superb race but a frustrated Hamilton ended all that, I think Hamilton will get a grid penalty for Canada.

Yeah, it was rather saddening seeing Maldonado go out. He's certainly beginning to come into his own as an F1 driver and has definitely proven himself in the last few races. Real shame as he really deserved the points. He'll be annoyed for sure but so long as he keeps improving like he has done, he'll be finishing regularly in the points.

So wished that Kobayashi could have held Webber back to get 4th but 5th is still a great finish. Really showed that strategy helped a lot for those in the midfield, with Kobayashi being one who capitalised on it the most.

As for the race as a whole, better than previous year's one and another close call at the front. Don't think anyone can really doubt Vettel's credentials as a driver after the last two races. The red flag definitely helped here but he was managing to find just enough time around the track to keep ahead through the start/finish DRS section. Whether that's all purely driver related or mechanical I don't know. Would have been more interesting without the flag though.

I just don't believe it. It's like the universe at large has decided, for whatever reason, that Vettel is it's favourite anything ever. He literally can't loose. Within a lap of losing his tires entirely against the chasing pack the race simply stops, handing him a fresh set to leave him in 1st and his nearest championship rival left to have a fight with the stewards over an Ali G reference on top of everything else. Things could not have gone more Vettel's way if the whole thing had been scripted.

Edited by gaggle64

Hamilton is an idiot. That was a ridiculous interview. He needs to get over himself. If he's the best, he needs to prove it. Everyone has their share of bad luck but driving like THAT and then blaming everyone else is not the way to do it.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the Hamilton stuff, because I like to see the drivers do the talking on the track at the next GP. But he had every right to be pissed this weekend, McLaren fucked up for him once again.

His moves on the track were over-optimistic though, especially the one on Massa I felt... that was pretty funny being the two cars stuck together like that on full lock, and Lewis up on the pavement! :p

And I suppose I'd rather see the way he went about things, with passion and drive, unlike someone like Massa who just sits there doing nothing in the race, and never speaks out against the team even when they loose him races.

adamcooperf1 Adam Cooper

#F1 Was talking to A Newey when someone introduced Geri Halliwell. She said to him 'What do you do around here, change the tyres?'

@karunchandhok I find what Geri Halliwell said to Adrian Newey more offensive than Lewis. She wasn't joking!! :-)

Edited by Retro_Link

Can I just say that the BBC coverage for Monaco was truly outstanding this weekend, surpassing even their own extraordinary standard. Their coverage intro was one of the best ever, second only to their

Edited by gaggle64

That intro is absolutely awesome, didn't see it over the weekend as I only watched the action itself. Next time I'm in Europe with a nice car the Monaco GP is top of my list of things to do. Anyway...

What an amazing race! It's a shame they had the red flag as I think the final laps were looking like being totally stunning. Another good win for Vettel, that guy is just stunning at the moment. Pleased with my prediction, who would have thought three guys, each on a different strategy would end up having a race like that, brilliant! Totally loving everything about this season. I just wish every race wasn't an early morning start.

I've always supported Lewis but i'm starting to get annoyed with his constant whining and 'everyone is against me' mentality. He needs to drop the ear rings, have a proper shave and get on with his job that he's payed far too much for.

Yeah I've noticed the last few races that he's blaming other people alot... and his indirect messages to the race director/stewards over the radio which they keep highlighting in commentary. A bit annoying as I've become a real fan of his. I think he's just really frustrated at his current situation... he probably thought he'd be the one to run away with countless championships in F1, but now he see's that opporunity probably lies in a Red Bull car, and Vettel's the one doing it!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91955

FIA reinstates Bahrain Grand Prix

The Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead this year after Formula 1's ruling body, the FIA, voted in favour of reinstating the race on Friday.

The event has been given an October 30 date, which is likely to mean the Indian Grand Prix moves to December 4 or December 11, the latest finish to a season since 1963, although the FIA did not confirm the date for the race.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/03/2012-f1-calendar-revealed-record-21-races/

2012 F1 calendar revealed with record 21 races

The 2012 F1 calendar will contain a record 21 races according to the provisional schedule published by the FIA today.

Despite speculation over the future of the race the Turkish Grand Prix remains on the calendar, albeit subject to final confirmation.

The Korean Grand Prix has been moved forward six months from October to April.

1 Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain International Circuit 11th March

2 Australian Grand Prix Albert Park 18th March

3 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang International Circuit 1st April

4 Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai International Circuit 8th April

5 Korean Grand Prix Korean International Circuit 22nd April

6 Turkish Grand Prix* Istanbul Park 6th May

7 Spanish Grand Prix Circuit de Catalunya 20th May

8 Monaco Grand Prix Monte-Carlo 27th May

9 Canadian Grand Prix Circuit Gilles Villeneuve 10th June

10 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas 17th June

11 European Grand Prix Valencia Street Circuit 1st July

12 British Grand Prix Silverstone 15th July

13 German Grand Prix Hockenheimring 29th July

14 Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring 5th August

15 Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps 2nd September

16 Italian Grand Prix Monza 9th September

17 Singapore Grand Prix Singapore 30th September

18 Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka 14th October

19 Indian Grand Prix Buddh International Circuit 28th October

20 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Island 11th November

21 Brazilian Grand Prix Interlagos 25th November

@MBrundleF1 Martin Brundle

GP date changes bad especially for fans planning IndiaGP, costs+time off. Racing til Christmas, develop+test new car, 21 race 2012. Too much

It's nice seeing Canada and USA next to each other on the calander again!

Seems Brazil is gonna keep the season finale, as it should... but who is making this decision to have Bahrain as the season opener?!... not only is it crap, but it means flying to Australia in between!

Martin's right that 2011/2012 is pretty rediculous!... though as an F1 fan... the longer the season the better! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm pretty uneasy about this, planning a Grand Prix in a country that has used live ammo and foreign soldiers and is still using violent police tactics against it's own people who just want their voice heard. Quite apart from the morality of it I can only imagine what the security is going to be like to make sure nothing kicks off. There's a whole nation of people out there who wouldn't hold the success and safety of a motor race over their own democratic rights and I wouldn't blame 'em.

Firstly, I'm shocked and disgusted we are going to Bahrain. I won't be watching the race regardless of the state of the championship, it's shocking.

Secondly, I watched Senna today with my girlfriend. And just wow. It was incredible. I've mentioned before that I never watched F1 when he was around but after watching the film i feel like I actually know the guy, and he was incredible. Not just his racing but his mentality, personality and belief. The way he was adored by his country was amazing to see. My fav part was when they interviewed Rubens shortly before Imola on 'that' weekend and Rubens was shaking and so nervous because Senna was standing next to him, it was just crazy.

A warning though, it is damn emotional. I think I've only ever cried once during a film but bloody hell when they showed the accident I fucking wept. Fortunately everyone else there was crying too so :heh: The build up to that whole weekend was fantastic and very moody. I believe in god (but not that religious i must say) but watching that footage made me believe in a higher power, it was just so eerie. I guess you'd have to watch the film to understand.

Also, it clearly villifies prost. Now, a lot of people are getting worked up over this but come on, the film is called 'Senna', thus it was from his point of view, i expected nothing less.

10/10. Beautiful film.

I'm pretty uneasy about this, planning a Grand Prix in a country that has used live ammo and foreign soldiers and is still using violent police tactics against it's own people who just want their voice heard. Quite apart from the morality of it I can only imagine what the security is going to be like to make sure nothing kicks off. There's a whole nation of people out there who wouldn't hold the success and safety of a motor race over their own democratic rights and I wouldn't blame 'em.
Yeah I think the teams/drivers/press are united in not wanting to go there, but the teams/drivers at least are contracted to go apparently... although quite what that means I'm not sure, because they opted not to start the '06 US Grand Prix due to it not being safe to race, so surely they could effectively strike and not go?... I guess they'd all be issued with a large fine by the FIA, but still.

EDIT:

Mark Webbers thoughts

http://www.markwebber.com/on-the-track-news/2011-season/2011-bahrain-grand-prix/

“My opinion is unchanged since I was first asked about this in late February. Even though a decision has been made, I’ll be highly surprised if the Bahrain Grand Prix goes ahead this year.

“In my personal opinion, the sport should have taken a much firmer stance earlier this year rather than constantly delaying its decision in hope of being able to re-schedule it in 2011. It would have sent a very clear message about F1’s position on something as fundamental as human rights and how it deals with moral issues. It’s obvious that the parties involved have struggled to reach a decision but sadly I feel that they still haven’t made the right one. Like it or not, F1 and sport in general isn’t above having a social responsibility and conscience. I hope F1 is able to return to Bahrain eventually but now isn’t the right time.

“As a competitor I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event when, despite reassurances to the contrary, it seems inevitable that it will cause more tension for the people of that country. I don’t understand why my sport wishes to place itself in a position to be a catalyst for that.”

Edited by Retro_Link

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!