Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Best alcohol when on a diet?

Caris

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ya still on a diet DON'T DRINK AT ALL!!!! Seriously, I cut myself from that shit until I reached my goal, once I got there I started drinking, but even then not much really. So many of my healthy friends from high school are fat as, thanks to drinking shit like alcohol. (Of course it was not the only thing, but was one of the main factors.)

Moogle; the dude shorty and dan are talking about was extreeeemely careful about his calorie intake. He was it all worked out, and if he had a big drinking night he'd typically have spent the previous week allowing for it. And yeah he stuck with whiskey and coke most of the time (except at corp, which had an excellent quad-vodka and mixer price of £2!).

Vodka & soda water. The only calories would be in the vokdka which is very little

That's what I'd go for too. Unless you think you could just drink vodka straight all night...

Btw Sooj, I pulled a girl you know in The Garage a few months ago. Can't remember her name but you were a mutual friend on Facebook. :heh:

You wouldn't really need to avoid them if you were buffing up though as you'd need extra calories. He could have been doing it to be generally healthier but then drinking spirits would have contradicted that.

Sorry, I wasn't saying that he was avoiding calories altogether, but beer just sends fat straight to your gut, there's no positive gain in that whatsoever. He used protein shakes and ate seven whole chickens a day (ish).(lie)

here

and here

there's quite a few good diet resources online :)

weightwatchers wine is okay... on the old points scheme, its 1 point for a glass, yet normal stuff is 1.5 points (all wine). Its not that great a difference in calories. The weightwatchers stuff just has sweetner in it. If i recall a vodka glass is 0.5 a point and diet coke free, so vodka is still a better option in terms of calories.

I reckon you should just go for it. Have the alcohol you want, and just avoid the very bad stuff like wkds and all that sugary stuff. Yeah cider has shit loads of calories but then if you think about it, its 3/4 times the size of a glass of spirit.

I feel the love for Gin, but honestly it's one of the worst spirits to sip straight.

Not after a shit day at work!

Jodie: How was work?

Ashley drinks gin straight.

Jodie: Oh.

(circa 2007)

That's how I roll (when pissed off).

You drink a lot of Gin then?

Gin, red wine, whiskey, pear cider. Tipples of choice.

I think that was not long after my birthday as someone usually gets me gin for my birthday. As much as I like it I can't afford it that often.

You have to draw the distinction between calories gained from the alcohol itself (ie. the ethanol molecule) and whatever else may be in the beverage. Calories from Ethanol can't be stored as fat, so what you need to be aware of is the Ethanol: Other shit ratio in a drink. Go for spirits (I usually just go for this with no mixer, since the quantity of coke that goes with these drinks is enough to make a man puke). Of course, even though alcohol can't be stored as fat, it increases the body's ability to store other things you ingest as fat. So make sure you don't go for a greasy kebab after a night out.

You have to draw the distinction between calories gained from the alcohol itself (ie. the ethanol molecule) and whatever else may be in the beverage. Calories from Ethanol can't be stored as fat, so what you need to be aware of is the Ethanol: Other shit ratio in a drink. Go for spirits (I usually just go for this with no mixer, since the quantity of coke that goes with these drinks is enough to make a man puke). Of course, even though alcohol can't be stored as fat, it increases the body's ability to store other things you ingest as fat. So make sure you don't go for a greasy kebab after a night out.

I've no idea whether any of that is actually true, but it sounded very factual and believable and rather informative! I am impressed! Where did you learn such wonders, and why can't ethanol be converted/stored into fat?

(addit; this posts sounds so enthusiastic one might think it's sarcastic, i'm just tipsy adn actually genuinely impressed/interested!)

a greasy kebab isn't so good alcohol or not :P nevertheless he's spot on.

If you go out and drink lots of alcohol you're gonna consume extra calories regardless of the drink. You could be as well getting a couple of drinks that you enjoy rather than lots of "lower calorie" drinks that you don't.

I have in the past had a diet drink (with no alcohol) every so often which helps consume less calories.:bouncy:

• 1 month later...

Bit of a bump I know, but I was looking for smething else and stumbled on this thread.

Beer doesn't make people fat. Regularly eating fatty foods while consuming alcoholic drinks makes you fat. This happens because the body metabolises alcohol before it metabolises fat, thus with excess consumption of alcohol and fat the fat regularly finds itself being stored rather than being burned.

Beer (I'll use Guinness as an example) isn't actually unhealthy. It contains 170Kcal in a pint. That's less calories than you'll find in a pint of Coke or fresh Orange juice. By comparison Vodka and Gin pack about 60 Kcal per 25ml measure + the mixer (44Kcal per 100ml for Coke, 43 for Orange, 33 for Tonic). Your average pub Vodka and Coke contains rougly 192Kcal, and Vodka and Orange, 157Kcal and Vodka/Tonic, 134Kcal (all only single measures!). Beer also contains a bunch of other health benefits, mainly focusing on the heart and blood. Have a read here;

http://uk.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/45_eating_well.html

The bad image comes from lazy middle-aged blokes who have grown fat from spending evenings and weekends sat in the pub downing pints of Stella and munching on crisps, chips and pork scratchings. You could replace the beer with any other alcoholic beverage and get the exact same result.

In a nutshell, as long as you consume it responsibly and stay away from Lager (or anything that's carbonated for that matter) there's no reason for not drinking beer. It's calorie count is low by volume (roughly the same as tonic water) and there's proven benefits to both your heart and your blood. I know it's a bit of an odd thing to post, and a bit of an incoherrent, badly tought out late night rant, but I've started getting more in to beers (even started brewing myself) and as such I'm noticing misconceptions more.

Edited by McPhee

Beer (I'll use Guinness as an example) isn't actually unhealthy. It contains 170Kcal in a pint. That's less calories than you'll find in a pint of Coke or fresh Orange juice. By comparison Vodka and Gin pack about 60 Kcal per 25ml measure + the mixer (44Kcal per 100ml for Coke, 43 for Orange, 33 for Tonic). As for other health benefits, have a read here;

Yeah but how often do you drink 15 pints of orange juice?

Yeah but how often do you drink 15 pints of orange juice?

That's kind of the point...

If you drank 15 pints of orange juice one night a week, every week, I bet you'd get fat. Fifteen pints of any liquid in the space of a few hours is rediculously unhealthy, even water.

The habbit people need to get out of is drinking 15 pints in a night, not stopping drinking beer, wine or any other liquor.

That's kind of the point...

If you drank 15 pints of orange juice one night a week, every week, I bet you'd get fat. Fifteen pints of any liquid in the space of a few hours is rediculously unhealthy, even water.

The habbit people need to get out of is drinking 15 pints in a night, not stopping drinking beer, wine or any other liquor.

Pah, blasphemy.

Although I normally have about 6 and that does me more than well for the night.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!