Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nicki Minaj

Paj!

Nicki+Minaj+XXL+May+2010.png

She's been gaining steam all year, featuring on countless tracks by her peers, more often than not stealing the entire song. She's gained such a rapid fanbase that people are now seeking out the songs she features on...why she's such a valuable commodity for other artists. (Interesting fact: One of the first verses she contributed since starting to get attention was to a

, and it was shit. :P Luckily she went on to better things.) And obviously people have been taking note of her stunning part in Monster on Kanye's new album.

She's shot to fame fairly quickly, and is definitely a talented rapper/MC/whatever she is. The media have dubbed her the "GaGa" of hip-hop, possibly due to her image (which I'd bet is a construct of the record label tbh) and her eccentricity. But yeah.

People's thoughts on the most hyped female musician of the last year?

I enjoy her debut album, but it's certainly a suprise...it's got a lot more middling, radio-friendly (relatively) tracks than I'd have thoughts. I wanted more

than
tbh. There are some stunning tracks though and it's all very well produced.

HATEURZ

Thoughts?

Edited by Paj!

Well I'm not really proclaiming her as such. I just really enjoy a lot of her stuff. But, as we all know, I enjoy a lot of Miley Cyrus' music... :p

But no, I think she's pretty cool. And more worthwhile having around the "mainstream" than 90% of the current female pop singers. Even if she has mellowed a bit.

For BONUS lols - Lil Kim's "official diss song" (lozl) for Nicki Minaj, with whom she's having a fight or something.

A bit like "...". Though I love the beat. But that's cause I love the sample. *awkward silence when thinking about the lyrical content*

Can't Will.I.Am make his own music instead of ripping off others? He's done I've Had the Time of My Life and now he's done Video Killed The Radio Star?! What's he going to do next, Beauty and the Beast? My Heart Will Go On? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to make a crappy song out of the Teletubbies or Mr. Blobby!

Just PLEASE stop with this shit, Will.I.Am! Cheryl Cole is crap anyway so there's not much of an excuse for her, lmao.

Will.I.Am has gone so downhill since Fugees, it's so sad :(

Nicki Minaj is actually fairly good however those 2 links you put up were terrible examples :heh: Should've posted her verse on Monster, it's just crazy.

I did. :)

But for the sake of clarity:

Other stunning verses:

^ This is the first time I heard her, and was stunned.

My favourite track on Pink Friday is probably Roman's Revenge. featuring Eminem.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump because I love.

tumblr_leiw8hDfa61qftvkno1_500.gif

Her famous mixtape Beam Me Up Scotty is better than her album/is more "!!!", I've discovered.

I'm just left, hand over mouth, rocking back and forth*. I'm both annoyed she didn't put it on the album, and stunned that she didn't.

*Only a little bit.

---

I think her rapping really stuns me because I have a history of speech problems/stammering/processing problems (on the dyslexic scale), and If I speak too fast I just..can't. Hearing someone speak really fast is like an out of body experience and feels really weird in my head. Like makes me a little out of breath just thinking about it.

Even now If I try and speak too fast/without thinking about it ahead of time I trip up orally. [/Paj factoid]

Edited by Paj!

nicki-minaj-pink-friday-promo-2.jpg

Thoughts?

I clicked on the thread just to see what it was about....the first thing I see is that completely retarded picture, I am now full(er?) of biased hate and shan't be bothered with impressions or listening to the music.

Well that's your own idiocy.

But I'll change it for the sake of spreading her gospel to those who, like yourself, are resistant.

And clearly Mcj listened to Check It Out, the worst one, so I need to get rid of that.

Another 'artist' dressing like a total burk for attention. Just what we need for 2011!

In fairness there's a history.

MIA.jpg

gwen-stefani-rollingstone.jpg

karen%20o%20glastonbury%20yeah%20yeah%20yeah.jpg

Goldfrapp+jacket.jpg

classic-madonna.jpg

Its only really Gaga that has made it more about the dress up than the music.

Anyway I keep meaning to check out more of Nicki Minaj. Or Micki Ninja as I like to call her.

I'm just clapping at:

nicki.png

"Better" than her album at showing what actually makes her a worthwhile artist, though the album has a nice aural aesthetic. So I'd recommend that ^ first, but if you hate it, try the album too, in case.

In fairness there's a history.

MIA.jpg

gwen-stefani-rollingstone.jpg

karen%20o%20glastonbury%20yeah%20yeah%20yeah.jpg

Goldfrapp+jacket.jpg

classic-madonna.jpg

Its only really Gaga that has made it more about the dress up than the music.

Anyway I keep meaning to check out more of Nicki Minaj. Or Micki Ninja as I like to call her.

And also a history in male performers, let's remember. It's a shame that female performers are generally singled out for their attention-grabbing fashion, it called a gimmick, when the same very rarely happens to male performers. Sure, it MAY be an attention-stunt (of course it is in the case of Nicki Minaj, she used to look like a "normal" person until she got mainstream attention :p), but male performers are never called out on it the same way females are.

And also a history in male performers, let's remember. It's a shame that female performers are generally singled out for their attention-grabbing fashion, it called a gimmick, when the same very rarely happens to male performers. Sure, it MAY be an attention-stunt (of course it is in the case of Nicki Minaj, she used to look like a "normal" person until she got mainstream attention :p), but male performers are never called out on it the same way females are.

You could argue it is only once they get mainstream attention (and presumably a trickle of cash coming in) they'd be able to afford more wacky clothing.

Lord knows I'd dress sharp if I could afford to all the time so I can't so I look like a student.

Plus musicians are artists. Their dress sense can be a tad wacky anyway.

Case in point I once saw a Chinese girl at my university wearing a top hat covered with googly eyes. She instantly became my favourite person.

Yeah there's a chinese girl on my course (who is hilarious, and her best friend is a stunning caucasian version of her, and happens to be an M.I.A style rapper) and she has a monobrow as a fashion statement. It suits her so well though.

I love dem chinese.

Well that's your own idiocy.

But I'll change it for the sake of spreading her gospel to those who, like yourself, are resistant.

And clearly Mcj listened to Check It Out, the worst one, so I need to get rid of that.

Lol Just needed to vent that . Nothing personal you didn't have to delete it ..it's your thread :D

You certainly like artists that all sound slightly Jamaican when they rap Paj! :p This Nicki one...Rihanna...Willow

However, I find her quite boring to be honest :hmm: Until now I've never heard any of her songs, I've just seen random pictures of her in trashy magazines.

I'll admit though that her verse in "Monster" was the best part of the song, it really was great :). Otherwise, she seems just completely controlled by her record company and has no individuality.

A little abstract notion but a rant I've been craving to rant.

I'm getting quite sick of these unspoken themes recurring in mainstream pop music. It's driving me nuts how everyone is doing the same thing just barely different.

Take for example, recently how many musicians(not artists as there usually known *pet peeve*) are trying to act "creepy" like Rihanna's "Disturbia" or when I was watching a Nicki video, it was her surrounded by spiders, snakes etc.

Then there's this 'love yourself, you're perfect' i.e. Katy Perry's "Firework", Pink's "Raise a Glass" and Gaga's "Born this Way".

Of course then there's a lot of people preying on fashion in music nowadays to get noticed along with just really simple stuff such as Gaga having a song called "Monster", then Ne-yo has a song called "Beautiful Monster" and then Kanye West's "Monster"

I'm probably just babbling and rambling and people will point out a million reasons why I'm wrong but meh! *blows raspberry*