N-Europe

Top Gear

Dog-amoto

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Gear as we know it, is no more. BBC know Top Gear is one of their highest rated shows, they have contracts to show it across the globe. They'll want to get it going again, but seeing as May and Hammond will join Clarkson in a few days in being out of contract, it won't work. I'm done with Top Gear now, they may as well cancel it as it probably won't be as good as the (now no more) series/formula.

Fifth Gear, they could relaunch on Five. I've heard rumours of Channel 4 and/or Netflix.

Given the info it seems like there was very little choice on this, but i do wonder if alternatives could have been found, a financial penalty similar to how they deal with sports personalities - i mean look at the world of Soccer and the fights, boot throwing, biting, they don't cancel the team while investigations go on and then sack people, they ban them from games and fine them

I just feel a compromise could have been found somewhere, Clarkson, Hammond, May and Tymins all love the show and want/wanted to go back to work, this decision has effectively ended all their employment

There is so many negative to this outcome, the show ends, the live shows have been cancelled, the stars have left the BBC, the crew will be in limbo (loose jobs or await a relaunch though i suspect the beeb will go entirely new), Tymins will keep a job (as per the statements) but will forever be the producer who couldn't cope with the star and got a massive franchise killed...Nobody benefits, except perhaps the BBC who could gain some morsel of integrity after they lost all of it over the past 5 years (Saville, black mailing police for exclusives etc)

I hope Sky or someone picks the trio up along with Wilman to produce a show along their format (Next Gear? Shift Gear?)

Given the info it seems like there was very little choice on this, but i do wonder if alternatives could have been found, a financial penalty similar to how they deal with sports personalities - i mean look at the world of Soccer and the fights, boot throwing, biting, they don't cancel the team while investigations go on and then sack people, they ban them from games and fine them

I just feel a compromise could have been found somewhere, Clarkson, Hammond, May and Tymins all love the show and want/wanted to go back to work, this decision has effectively ended all their employment

There is so many negative to this outcome, the show ends, the live shows have been cancelled, the stars have left the BBC, the crew will be in limbo (loose jobs or await a relaunch though i suspect the beeb will go entirely new), Tymins will keep a job (as per the statements) but will forever be the producer who couldn't cope with the star and got a massive franchise killed...Nobody benefits, except perhaps the BBC who could gain some morsel of integrity after they lost all of it over the past 5 years (Saville, black mailing police for exclusives etc)

I hope Sky or someone picks the trio up along with Wilman to produce a show along their format (Next Gear? Shift Gear?)

Just because someone is famous it doesn't necessarilly give them 100% protection from being a dick and getting called up on it.

But I hear One Direction has just had a spot open up.

Hammond and May have changed their Twitter subtitles to "former TV presenter"

May did. Hammond didn't, unless he changed it again already.

Not being in the UK (and thus having questionable access to non-BBC British television), I'm really hoping the Netflix rumors are true. It would definitely make a lot of sense for Netflix to pick them up at this point.

Just me who thinks it was unresolvable because he wanted to get fired anyway? Strange that it should happen so close to contract renewals. If you're categorically on a last warning you're probably not going to go and punch a colleague. Mouthing off at the awards thing the other night didn't exactly paint a portrait of a man wanting to hold on to his job either.

He'll probably triple his money at ITV / Sky / Netflix and whatever show they make will have a huge budget.

Let's not feel sorry for them. 'Has effectively ended all their employment' - they know what Jeremy's all about and they'll be back to earning shedloads with whichever broadcasters they end up with.

Just a shame that BBC have to lose out so hugely as a result of choosing not to further indluge in the antics of a chipping norton cock.

That all said I'm sure I'll tune in for the specials if they wash up on Netflix in the future.

I really like the programme but Jeremy Clarkson seems like a right prat to put it mildly at times I stress. He's like a child, O.K. I get that you're the star but you've no right to belittle other people, assault people and/or act like a d1ck. He thinks he's beyond reproach. He's a history of bad behaviour. It must have been a tough decision for the BBC but ultimately I believe they made the right decision. His comments after the incident showed little remorse, their contract was nearly up anyway and I think he believes the 3 amigos are bigger than Top Gear and that they'll get a nice pay day elsewhere(which they will). He's easily the least likeable of the 3. The other 2 are sound, James May especially but Jeremy is like a child, at times an obnoxious child, egotistical, I can do whatever I like child. If this was the first incident then yeah, fine but this is the end of a long list of offences. I commend the BBC, it took guts, they know they're going to suffer as a result of this but you have to have principles and standards. It will interesting to see what happens now. I think there was possibly more there going on behind the scenes which bmay emerge in time.

Edited by Wii

Part of Top Gear's appeal, to me anyway, is the quality of production and the way it is shot. Even if the three of them make another show on another channel, I doubt it would have the same style and production values. You only need look at some of the shite "entertainment" shows that Sky or ITV make. Look at stuff like Braniac, good idea for a show but so poorly made and very remnant of the "Planet's Funniest Animals" type of American tripe. And the less said of that new Sky produced game show, "Wild Things" the better.

There's a lot more to the Top Gear magic than just the presenters that I feel a lot of people are forgetting.

Part of Top Gear's appeal, to me anyway, is the quality of production and the way it is shot. Even if the three of them make another show on another channel, I doubt it would have the same style and production values.

I'm sure they have static cams stuck in cars to shake about and watch their/others reactions whilst driving various automobiles on other channels.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

I'm sure they have static cams stuck in cars to shake about and watch their/others reactions whilst driving various automobiles on other channels.

As much as I despise Top Gear, their production and editing really is top notch. Shame about the 2 and a half bell ends that host it (James May is only half bell end).

I'm not convinced you've ever actually seen the show... Say what you want about the presenters or whatever but the camera work and editing was fantastic.

I'm not convinced you've ever actually seen the show... Say what you want about the presenters or whatever but the camera work and editing was fantastic.

I have seen the show. The camera work outside the static cams is good. I wouldn't blow my load over it. But it did the job.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe how many people are OK with the fracas. It's a huge waste of water, it hasn't been proven to be stable so it could have serious detrimental effects for the local geology, and we should be investing money in renewable energies rather than spending more money to continue our reliance on fossil fuels.

I can't believe how many people are OK with the fracas. It's a huge waste of water, it hasn't been proven to be stable so it could have serious detrimental effects for the local geology, and we should be investing money in renewable energies rather than spending more money to continue our reliance on fossil fuels.

top-gear-laugh-o.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The trio were spotted together in London over the last few days and are rumoured to be plotting a new car show.

Also a key producer has also left Top Gear. Sounds positive apart from apparently there is a clause saying they can't have another related motoring show for 12 months. 12 months isn't that long, it's been a few weeks already and by the time they get their plans made properly, find someone who wants to show it and come to an agreement and then film it etc it will easily be 12 months.

The trio were spotted together in London over the last few days and are rumoured to be plotting a new car show.

Also a key producer has also left Top Gear. Sounds positive apart from apparently there is a clause saying they can't have another related motoring show for 12 months. 12 months isn't that long, it's been a few weeks already and by the time they get their plans made properly, find someone who wants to show it and come to an agreement and then film it etc it will easily be 12 months.

Do you know if the 12 months refers to the release, or any production?

If it's the former then, as you say, it will barely be an issue. If the latter then maybe more of a delay.