NEurope
Dyson

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Slightly annoyed at myself.

I'm currently doing one of the main story quests, I pretty much ended up attacking people and now I'm not powerful to kill someone, wanted to try and get away for a bit and come back to it.

...all my saves are on that quest.

Fail.

Once your save game reaches around 7 megs you start to get framerate issues. Sometimes its only a little bit but if you have the big save file and then have a long play session it can get pretty bad. I havent actually tried my game since the update so I dont know how well its fixed things.

I would say though that you probably wouldnt experience the problem as I expect a proper fix will be out by the time you get to a 7 meg save.

I find the framerate only gets bad after several hours of play. If I turn the PS3 off and on I'm pretty much fine for a good few hours. Some places tend to cause screw ups quicker, like walking around Whiterun.

Yesterday, i discovered how much of an idiot i am. I didn't know, until yesterday that is, that i could upgrade my magic and combat inc armour everytime i levelled up. There was me looking for more powerful weapons and potions to increase my skills, when all along i could increase it via the stats. Honestly, no wonder i keep dying against the simplest of enemies. :red:

I would say though that you probably wouldnt experience the problem as I expect a proper fix will be out by the time you get to a 7 meg save.

Don't hold your breath for a "fix". Going by this, it seems unlikely there will ever be one.

Basically: The whole design of the save system leads to inflating save-files, which will eventually clock up the system's RAM, which isn't as flexible on the PS3 as on the 360, and take longer and longer to load the more history you've got in any place.

I dont have a link but the guys at Bethesda have already said thats not the case here

That would be the link you're looking for.

They didn't bother to tell PS3 owners that they were buying a game that degrades until it becomes partially unplayable, although any extended testing would have revealed the issue. Naturally, they would deny anything that makes it look like the issue is in fact not a bug, but a design flaw, that can't be quickly fixed.

Edit: On top of that, what the PR guy twittered is rather unbelievable, given the symptoms. The issues the New Vegas guy brings up is how the game's engine saves information about things that change. Now that PR-guy claims that they made changes to the engine, which would result in it handling this differently. ("Solved in terms of how this new engine handles those issues.")

As long as still every object stays at the same place / in the same inventory where you left it and doesn't disappear in Skyrim, that changes probably won't be all too drastic. They can't save these information with magic and fairy dust. So whatever they changed - if they changed anything in the first place - did factually not solve the problems at hand.

Edited by Burny

Finally, i own a property in Whiterun. And had the coin to upgrade it as well. Next on my list, marraige.

Well shit, will prob get this for Christmas or earlier, but will be at my mom's place with no console. Christmas with awesome games but not being able to play them, wtf is that? : (

Well shit, will prob get this for Christmas or earlier, but will be at my mom's place with no console. Christmas with awesome games but not being able to play them, wtf is that? : (

Carry your console across the Fjords with you, or get it sent by Coracle Courier.

It may well be linked to save file size but I don't agree that it could mean Skyrim becomes completely unplayable. It is somewhat fixed for a number of hours after turning on the PS3 in my case, despite my save file being ridiculously large straight from the load. I dunno, it seems like if they could pull off whatever is happening when you first load every so often it might be ok.

Its frickin' appalling that Skyrim has won GOTY at Spike. All versions have their problems which have not been fixed in fair time - yeah, its ambitious but if its not coded properly and has game-breaking problems it should be disqualified.

It is also enormous and systemic, and no game like it has ever been released with as few problems as Skyrim has. In the same way, you'd be missing out if you dismissed a game like STALKER for it's technical issues instead of focusing on the atmospherics and the simulations that made it so interesting to play. Either way, yeah, it's fucking appalling that Portal 2 missed out.

Is it that big of a deal?

Skyrim is much more recent, it's still in plenty of people's minds and is still a hit on the internet, with memes and all that.

So, obviously, it's going to have a big advantage in a awards show that's down to public vote.

Anyway, I've done the main Thieves Guild quests as my second character - a stealthy archer. Feels like a completely different game.

And removing the armour from all the guards is funny.

Spike were reasonably well respected for their game awards

but then they got an arrow in the knee

And removing the armour from all the guards is funny.

I always remove all sell-able items from guards/enemies, even if it means leaving them in near naked states. Probably handy when Lydia is around, she can hold all the items that weigh me down.

Progress check. Recently married my character to the woman i assisted to retrieve the Golden Claw in my first mission. Had a good turn-out as well, a few residents who i helped recently were amongst the crowds. Decided to complete the "Love" quest in the Riften chapel first though, something different than the usual "raid the cave, clear the baddies out" types of quests i've had recently.

Always like the NPC's giving warnings of enemies in caves, saying "don't go in until help arrives to clear them out". Wonder what they think the swords i have do??. Cleared 6 caves and mines for residents, they were thankful indeed.

Its frickin' appalling that Skyrim has won GOTY at Spike. All versions have their problems which have not been fixed in fair time - yeah, its ambitious but if its not coded properly and has game-breaking problems it should be disqualified.

If the problems really were game breaking, do you really think people would vote for it? People are stupid, but they're not stupid enough to vote for a game they can no longer play.

Call me crazy, but GOTY should be for the game that's you enjoy the most. Skyrim fills that quota for me and then some. Clearly the majority of people feel the same. The only game that's been as fun for me was Rage, but that was way too short.

And how are people getting these problems? I'm up to 40 hours with an 8mb save file and I haven't got any problems at all. I've read that "Between 20 and 50 hours" and "over 6mb" and the game becomes "unplayable". I haven't even noticed any drop in performance.

Edited by Goafer

There are issues in the pc version as well. In some cases it has damaged hardware. People are right to be take issue.

And how are people getting these problems? I'm up to 40 hours with an 8mb save file and I haven't got any problems at all. I've read that "Between 20 and 50 hours" and "over 6mb" and the game becomes "unplayable". I haven't even noticed any drop in performance.

You might want to have a look at the digital foundry article I linked above. People don't make this up.

You might want to have a look at the digital foundry article I linked above. People don't make this up.

I didn't say they were. Either it's not just down to save size and play time (I meet both criteria apparently), or they're exaggerating. If it's as unplayable as people are making out and it was purely down to file size and time played, surely I'd have noticed something by now?

These Mages/Thieves/Dark Brotherhood quests are waaaaay too short. Alright, you have the side thieves guild jobs, and helping out the College. But the main line each is about four quests.

I didn't say they were. Either it's not just down to save size and play time (I meet both criteria apparently), or they're exaggerating. If it's as unplayable as people are making out and it was purely down to file size and time played, surely I'd have noticed something by now?

What I meant was: Did you read the article? Did you watch their recording? It doesn't get more unplayable than 0 frames per second, proved by captured footage, so that's not an exaggeration at all. :heh:

They've got a bigger save than yours (12MB) and a longer history (65+hours). It apparently takes some time for these stutters to set in after the save has been loaded. They also note that the recent patch somewhat improves the issue, but doesn't solve it, as their second video shows.

What I meant was: Did you read the article? Did you watch their recording? It doesn't get more unplayable than 0 frames per second, proved by captured footage, so that's not an exaggeration at all. :heh:

They've got a bigger save than yours (12MB) and a longer history (65+hours). It apparently takes some time for these stutters to set in after the save has been loaded. They also note that the recent patch somewhat improves the issue, but doesn't solve it, as their second video shows.

My save file is over 12MB. I'm L60 and have played over 100 hours.

It never gets so slow that it completely unplayable, ie. never actually freezes. And it only gets slow after several hours of play, and is resolved by resetting the PS3.

To get 0FPS these guys have either left the PS3 on for an unrealistic amount of time or are just using the grill vents to cook bacon. Seriously.