N-Europe

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Happenstance

I feel like preordering this, but I just can't bring myself to do it... I have this terrible feeling it'll be a disappointing follow up to U2. =/

But then again Uncharted 2 had a disappointing final boss battle so there is room for improvement... everything else about the second game I liked though so I can kind of see where you're coming from.

I'm pre-ordering it regardless though because from what I've seen so far it's surely going to be a solid single-player title at least, I'm not even taking the multiplayer into consideration at this point but judging by the amount of fun a load of you are having with the beta, it's probably a great additional component to the game. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm properly itching to play the single player now, and for my amazing fucking Explorer Edition to arrived, WHICH I was fucking relieved to find out is sold out from GameStop and (as I gather) not many GAME stores are stocking. :D

Really> Which GAME? I wanted to order one but they are all gone :(

Not sure. Not tried the cinema.

Had some awesome games today with Rez and Cookie, then Flameboy after. I was so sub-par until the last three games where I died like 7 times between them and got a truck load of kills.

MORE!

Yeah awesome games! I played one more afterwards and made good on my promise to improve my kills with not 5 not 6 but 7!!!

But then again Uncharted 2 had a disappointing final boss battle so there is room for improvement... everything else about the second game I liked though so I can kind of see where you're coming from.

I'm pre-ordering it regardless though because from what I've seen so far it's surely going to be a solid single-player title at least, I'm not even taking the multiplayer into consideration at this point but judging by the amount of fun a load of you are having with the beta, it's probably a great additional component to the game. :)

No doubt there, one of the worst boss fights ever made. Actually, if I'm being honest, the first chapter is good, then the sneak chapter in Turkey and the jungle chapters in Bosnia are respectivelly "meh" and "this feels like more of the same we had on unch 1"... but after that, ever since Drake sets foot in Nepal, you have 20-something chapters of absolute gaming nirvana/perfection... I really cannot see a single fault, 3 playthroughs laters! And then by the end, they kind of ruin it all again, as soon as you set foot in Shangri-La, the game takes a sudden turn for the worse, and the last 2-3 chapters are pretty bad again. But... everything in between... well, is absolutely perfect!

I'll wait for the first barrage of reviews to make up my mind... but I expect a disappointment! Which will probably have great results, since I felt really underwhelmed by the first game and went into the second not expecting much... which is probably why I loved it so much!

The multiplayer has completely taken my mind off the single player. So that's awesome.

I never really understood the hate for the final boss of the second game. It's not great, but it isn't hard either so I'd label it as fairly inoffensive.

Anyway, the review embargo for Uncharted 3 should be up in about half an hour.

I think in a game that is generally stunning and exceptional on all levels it sticks out a little. I thought it was super lame but only while I was doing it. No it's just another memorable moment.

I feel like preordering this, but I just can't bring myself to do it... I have this terrible feeling it'll be a disappointing follow up to U2. =/

Ahem........................... :bouncy:

IGN defines a 10.0 -- a masterpiece -- as "the pinnacle of gaming, a masterpiece may not be flawless, but it is so exceptional that it is hard to imagine a game being better." That's Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. From start to finish, single player to multiplayer, this game sings. The characters, the graphics, the sound, the story – they’re all top notch. If you’re willing to skip Uncharted 3, be prepared to miss one of gaming’s finest moments.

IGN Ratings for Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3).

Presentation 10

The cinematography and the way the game tells its story blew me away. It's touching and entertaining.

Graphics 10

Amazingly beautiful -- just watch sand cascade from Drake's footsteps, water slosh across the screen, and the wrinkles crinkle on characters faces. Naughty Dog outdid itself.

Sound 10

Spectacular voice acting, fantastic sound effects and an emotional score.

Gameplay 10

Refined climbing and shooting are better than ever, but it’s the way your actions merge with the story that impress.

Lasting Appeal 10

Single player deserves multiple playthroughs, just like your favorite film. Multiplayer is deep as well as rewarding and will keep you coming back.

Eurogamer's review is certainly worth a look at for a slightly different take on things:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-uncharted-3-drakes-deception-review

Whilst many will be praising the games rigid cinematic feel for how "perfect" it makes the game they view it somewhat differently.

I'd argue how are some of the steps they take any different to Resident Evil's strict camera angle ensuring the player has the experience the developers want them to have. So its not like Uncharted doing such things is anything new.

It's amazing how people can't seem to grasp that you only get points when you stay in the hill and not just capture it.

Think I'm level 32/3 now. Love it. Although I hate the map on the rooftops with all the scaffolding. A couple of the hills take way too long to get to.

On thing note its kind of a shame that this is the case. Some of the King of the Hill spots are pretty open for attack which is guess where the skill comes in. I think it would be cool if there were say was a vantage point where you watch over a hill and acquire points at a lower rate whilst still defending it. Wonder if a game has ever done this? Although does encourage camping and sniping which is not so great.

Wait isn't that IGN reviewer the same person who did that Dead Space 2 review?

I shan't be reading the full review in that case, not that I was going to anyway... :p

Currently this is sitting quite nicely on a 93 according to Metacritic, not that it should influence your decision to purchase or not but I figured it's worth mentioning. :)

David Jaffe defends Eurogamers so called controversial review of Uncharted 3.

Eurogamer's 'controversial' review* of Uncharted 3 reminds me of why I love that site's reviews.

I also loved their fair and insightful criticism of Calling All Cars back in the day; how they sussed out the specific reasons for the lack of depth in our game. God, how I wish I had been able to articulate and even realize that flaw during CAC's development! We coulda made some simple changes that would have resulted in a much better title!**

As for U3, I've yet to play the campaign mode, but I played the beta over the summer and really liked it; I enjoyed it more than 99% of human based shooters on the market. And I'm sure I'll love the U3 campaign when I pick it up next week (just as I've loved the earlier Uncharted games).

BUT…

…Eurogamer's conclusion/criticism about games that are super heavy on the 'experience' at the expense of the 'play' (like they claim Uncharted 3 is and like- by my own admission- GOD OF WAR 1 is***) is wonderfully thought out and presented and the only reason it's been labeled 'controversial' has nothing to do with the review itself and everything to do with the sad state of game consumers who have been so effectively conditioned by a number of the gaming press/gaming PR machines that these gamers leap to a title's defense-not that this gem of a game needs defending- without even being open to the reviewer's criticism (be it valid or not). That's tragic. What's even more tragic is I would argue the games medium itself has been damaged by this practice. Irrevocably? No. But it has taken its toll for sure.

So there's that.

BUT…

Besides having some great insight, what's great about the Eurogamer review is that it manages to be both positive and critical at the same time (Garsh! Wonder of Wonders! How'd they do that?!?!)

It doesn't bash U3 at all (for to do so would just be trolling for hits since it's clear there ain't a thing in U3 that is bash worthy) and it clearly sings the game's many wonderful praises and achievements. But it does call out what some people consider a fundamental flaw in many of today's console titles where making 'cinematic experiences'**** seems to have become a more important goal than making games. And it's nice to see that level of criticism and insight in games journalism, especially with a game as hyped and anticipated (and as amazingly great) as Uncharted 3. How refreshing that a great, hyped, and soon-to-be much loved game can be praised while at the same time intelligently and non mean-spiritedly criticized for what a reviewer thinks (agree or not) are genuine issues. Wow, that's just like big boy writing! And I love it! :)

David

*Amazing this review is the one being called 'controversial'. To me, the 10/10 review that either mentions the flaws of the game and still gives a perfect score OR the review that doesn't mention the flaws at all (an even worse crime, assuming the reviewer thought there WERE flaws) is the true controversial review. Gamers that don't see this as a problem need to wake up to the PR machine cause the Matrix has you.

** A lot of people think I bash Calling All Cars at every turn. I don't. I am actually and super proud of the team that made the game, I'm proud of my contributions, and I love playing Calling All Cars in split screen to this day. I just hate that it didn't succeed more and I place that blame squarely on my shoulders (and I've written about that before). I love the game we made but I think it needed more stickiness and more depth (not always the same thing although many will tell you it is), not to mention a more commercial theme. And I kick myself that I didn't push (myself or others) to address these issues.

***A lot of people ask me if I'd ever make another GOD OF WAR (assuming that opportunity was offered) and I always say the same thing: if it were GOD OF WAR meets something like ZELDA (formula wise), then yes (aka Darksiders, right?)…But if it were GOD OF WAR using the current formula, I would not. For me- and this is just me PERSONALLY (I get and respect not everyone shares this same thinking)- directing GOD OF WAR made me realize that as a game designer (and certainly as game director) I want our games to serve the gods of GAMEPLAY first and foremost. My and then team's desire to tell a story/make a movie may or may not get to be fulfilled (depending on the game) but if we do tell a story, it will never come at the expense of the gameplay (the thing that makes our medium matter and special). Games can have story (and many should, such as God of War) and most games- even pure play games- should have strong world and IP. But working on God of War made it clear that- for me- if we have to cut a set piece or bit of spectacle because of our desire to put play first, then so be it. Ideally, the BEST games are those that do both.

But what is really interesting/telling, is that as much hype and fan love as the cinematic experiences get, it's the game-y games that sell and sell and sell. Look at Guitar Hero, MW3, Angry Birds, Farmville, Mario, Madden, Wii sports, and on and on and on. Hell, even GTA sells to MOST folks because they just like to fuck around in the world (the game part). I think hardcore FANS of games love seeing our medium push (successfully or not- YMMV) into the medium of film and utilize techniques from that medium (sometimes surpassing film, as it seems U3 does via the cargo plane sequence alone- Michael Bay simply DREAMS of such a cool scenario!) And I think these fans dig this stuff because it shows off the tech we love (and paid a lot of cash for), it gives us the stunning art our eyeballs crave and the energy/adrenaline our guts respond to, and perhaps (not for all but certainly for some) because it presents what is- to me- a false hope/desire (and a very real display of desperation) that AT LAST our geeky habit is now COOL and RELEVANT and MAINSTREAM! End of the day tho, look at the top of the charts: the GAME STUFF sells buckets when it's themed right and executed well. The EXPERIENCE STUFF sells well too but not near as much as the GAMEY stuff and the EXPERIENCE STUFF costs a hell of a lot more to make in most cases.

****I use the word 'experience' in 'cinematic experience' as shorthand cause ya'll know what I mean. Ironic tho since the whole point the Eurogamer review makes is that the player's actual INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE is many times relegated to second class status in order to present the player with a more controlled VIEWING experience.

Legend! :bowdown:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!