NEurope
Aimless

Tomb Raider

Yep definitely, it was the craziest month in a long time. Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, Super Mario 3D Land all spring to mind.

I'm with Aimless on this. Delay the game until it's as good as it ought to be, don't rush it to meet deadlines and then pack it with DLC to make us feel better about the weak ending or buggy delivery.

These days Q1 definitely sees more game releases, thankfully, but they tend to be more spread out and are often of a lower profile than their Christmas counterparts. Something like CoD sucks all the oxygen out of the room, especially in the run up to a holiday period that errs on the expensive side even if you aren't buying games.

At the end of this year you'll have the Wii U launch, Black Ops 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4, RE6 and numerous 'smaller' games that are likely to do well come reviews like Dishonored and Hitman; it's possible we might see GTAV, too. Even a game with Tomb Raider's recognition could end up getting lost amidst it all.

New Gameplay Trailer coming in a few days...

Shame they can't leave it for one of the press conferences.

What's with the recent trend of trailers for trailers?

Trailer was f**king brilliant! Game looks great. Still disappointed it's been pushed to next year but looks like the wait will be worth it.

Extremely impressive trailer. I was slightly worried that making a more "cinematic" Tomb Raider would end up too much like Uncharted (especially as previous games did go on a comedic one-liner type thing, but not as well as Drake), however they've gone in a completely separate direction with it.

Really? I thought it looked EXACTLY like Uncharted. But with absolute hideous voice acting. Looks a good game though.

Really? I thought it looked EXACTLY like Uncharted. But with absolute hideous voice acting. Looks a good game though.

This! Other than that and the constantly moaning and groaning from Lara, this looked pretty good.

One thing they should really do to set this game apart from Uncharted is to reduce the number of enemies and the amount of ammo significantly. Ammo-wise it should be like the beginning of the original Resident Evil, where you have about 6 bullets and need to know when to avoid/run away from a fight.

One of Uncharted's biggest weaknesses is how he slaughters waves after waves of people with no remorse (or retribution).

Also I'm disappointed they haven't toned back Lara's noises since this time last year, I'm sure plenty of people have said the same.

The gun fights in Uncharted bored me senseless. 3 was great, but every time there was another gun section I turned it off and played it another time. The story and running/jumping sections were excellent. Like you say, let's hope the gunning is minimal!

Looks fantastic!

Got a kinda Resi 4 vibe from the trailer, has me very excited!

Looks like it's got a great mix of gameplay! Stealth, hunting, adventure/platforming, action... perfect! And a nice range of environments/scenarios.

Don't mind the voice acting, and with almost a year to go until the games out there's bound to be changes. It's impressive it looks this great with so long on development left! Here's hoping it's not to implement some form of unnecessary multiplayer! :p

Definately one of my most wanted!

Just an FYI, still have a massive boner over the trailer from yesterday.

Also I feel I should mention.....there has been a shuffle around at work, and I have a different person sitting next me now (or multiple actually) anyway, the chick sat right next to me....I had a revelation yesterday (when she wasn't bloody in, so couldn't even talk to her about it) but she would be an unbelievably amazing Lara Croft. God.

It looks like Uncharted, but without any of the charm or general quality.

Also, when she's hanging upside down and her her is defying gravity bar er ponytail...annoying.

I'm really liking the strong horror element they're running with here, really really looking forward to this and I wasn't even a major Tomb Raider fan back in the day. It's refreshing to see a female protagonist get really cut-up & dirty.

It looks like Uncharted, but without any of the charm or general quality.

Also, when she's hanging upside down and her her is defying gravity bar er ponytail...annoying.

Oh, go back to your Nathan Drake yaoi and leave the rest of us to enjoy ourselves.

She even has the same desperate leap motion-capture Drake has.

I'm sure it will be good though, and I'm looking forward to it. It has to be better than Uncharted 3, in any case.

Tomb Raider Game Informer details:

- Don't expect much of the old linear platforming formula. "We're now giving the player the opportunity to go into a space and choose their own path. Where we take you across the ledge of the B-52 bomber, that's a tutorial. Once you move away from the plane, everything is basically open, dynamic traversal where the player has the freedom to roam around a jump from location to location with ease..."

- You'll be able to air steer, direction control, speed her up/down during jumps

- The game has an XP system. You'll be able to use this for upgrading Lara's abilities. You'll also have to scavenge for materials to upgrade Lara's equipment

- The base camps will allow you to upgrade Lara's abilities, improve your equipment and fast travel to other base camps that you've visited on the island

- Early on you'll only have a few options to upgrade Lara, such as giving her the ability to carry additional arrows for her bow or increasing the speed that she's able to shoot the arrows. As you continue the system will open up and allow you to shape her abilities to your playstyle.

- The context-sensitive actions are one-off sequences. For example, the scene with Lara stabbing the wolf is only going to happen once in the game. They say that if you do it right the first time it'll have an impact.

- "There is linearity to the story - you have to go from point A to point B - but there's junctions in between where we want the player to feel like they're real explorers." These are described as non-linear hub spaces that you can come back to at different times of day.

Screens:

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

The E3 demo looked amazing but they showed wayyyyy too much