N-Europe

Jessie J - Do It Like A Dude

Paj!

It's a white rihanna.

It's strange how feminism is still "we can do it like a man! Except we're female, which means we're sexier, and we can't help but flout this, so I think I'll wiggle a bit."

Thumbs down for the blandness of sound and emptiness of lyrics. Alright for the clubs.

It's strange how feminism is still "we can do it like a man! Except we're female, which means we're sexier, and we can't help but flout this, so I think I'll wiggle a bit."

Madonna said it years ago (presumably stolen from someone more intellectual than herself :p):

"Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, because it's OK to be a boy. But for a boy to look like a girl, it's degrading -- because you think being a girl is degrading."

I think the conclusion is not necessarily true, but the quote serves so well to bear in mind. There's so much there to think about.

It's a primitive form of feminism -- but its a hurdle we still haven't properly got over in mainstream culture.

I love how the idea of being equal is to do things like men, implying that the masculine way is the better/default option.

Quite why women want to do things like men is beyond me. Women/femininity are/is awesome. Sure, people can do what they want, but to me feminism is celebrating femininity, not becoming masculine.

• 1 month later...

I've done a slight U-turn on this song if I'm honest, I actually don't mind it at all now and often find myself singing the odd line occasionally, which I'd rather wasn't the case, but it's catchy!

However, quite why she ever thought the song would work acoustically I don't know...

I can see her next song being quite catchy after a while as well!

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah when I first saw her video I wasn't a fan of the attitude/ugly faces at all, but that's all just for show and doesn't have any of this/is completely different when she's being interviewed.

Yeah the music as yet is nothing remarkable imo also, but she does have a great voice live as I heard on the radio the other day, if you hadn't known you'd have thought it was a recorded vocal... can't remember what song it was though, but I did prefer it.